• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you in, hooman? (NOTE: Vote-changing disabled!)

• #TeamReal

Votes: 2,046 67.7%
  • #TeamFake

Votes: 978 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Again, Sakurai doesn't do DLC before the game is finished
In the initial ESRB leak before the 3DS version, the leaker posted images of every character in Smash history with either a check or an x to signify if they were in or not, plus the Smash 4 newcomers. Mewtwo was the only character with a question mark instead, so he was clearly under some sort of consideration at the time. And then he was publicly announced before the Smash Wii U launch. So yeah, even though they say they don't consider DLC until the game is out... they definitely do. It's PR talk to shield from potential criticisms of characters being cut solely so they can be added back in as DLC.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
all factors considered it seems implausibly stupid and convenient, and the shot at Nintendo just makes it seem more intentional. But I guess OP can call me stupid and thats a-ok for some reason.
These are people that made a message that said fuck Nintendo and attempted to censor the name and did a poor job at it.

People are just that dumb. It's either that or absurdly evil

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes DLC can be announced at the Game Awards. Show a normal pic of Sora or whoever and announce they're coming to Smash next year.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I think Banjo pushes me to think this is fake. I just don't see it happening. They wouldn't do this unless Banjo had a game in the pipeline and I don't think we will see a new game in the series any time soon.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Also, Banjo and Conker were removed from that Diddy Kong Racing remake. Did Microsoft have their teams make that game though?

But there was that Banjo GBA game.

So no idea.

Diddy Kong Racing DS was Rare, yeah. I imagine that decision actually came from Nintendo - by that point the "Donkey Kong Universe" was pretty established, not to mention Conker had become a very, very different character post-DKR 64.

There was also a Viva Pinata game on DS, and this year's Microsoft E3 conference straight up had a Switch in it, thanks to Minecraft.

Honestly the barriers that were once up for Rare stuff on Nintendo were already pretty small (Goldeneye 64 was very almost ported to both Wii and 360 IIRC), I don't think they'd necessarily say no to Banjo in Smash these days. I'm half expecting his reveal to coincide with a Rare Replay port to Switch (minus everything for Xbox platforms).

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
In the initial ESRB leak before the 3DS version, the leaker posted images of every character in Smash history with either a check or an x to signify if they were in or not, plus the Smash 4 newcomers. Mewtwo was the only character with a question mark instead, so he was clearly under some sort of consideration at the time. And then he was publicly announced before the Smash Wii U launch. So yeah, even though they say they don't consider DLC until the game is out... they definitely do. It's PR talk to shield from potential criticisms of characters being cut solely so they can be added back in as DLC.

Hmmm that's a good point

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
all factors considered it seems implausibly stupid and convenient, and the shot at Nintendo just makes it seem more intentional. But I guess OP can call me stupid and thats a-ok for some reason.
???
there are lots of stupid people dude. it's much more likely the guy or his friend didn't really think things through than a guy intentionally destroyed his own life for internet fame.

It just feels like you want to argue without knowing what to say

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think Banjo pushes me to think this is fake. I just don't see it happening. They wouldn't do this unless Banjo had a game in the pipeline and I don't think we will see a new game in the series any time soon.
It took 5 years since Mega Man's Smash announcement for Capcom to put out a new game.

Even then around planning there was the Rare Replay

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Diddy Kong Racing DS was Rare, yeah. I imagine that decision actually came from Nintendo - by that point the "Donkey Kong Universe" was pretty established, not to mention Conker had become a very, very different character post-DKR 64.

There was also a Viva Pinata game on DS, and this year's Microsoft E3 conference straight up had a Switch in it, thanks to Minecraft.

Honestly the barriers that were once up for Rare stuff on Nintendo were already pretty small (Goldeneye 64 was very almost ported to both Wii and 360 IIRC), I don't think they'd necessarily say no to Banjo in Smash these days

They were also working on Halo DS.

Microsoft didn't see the DS as a competing system at the time, which is why they allowed Rare to work on DS titles.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So is Sora considered a Square rep or a Disney rep by insiders?
On contract, Disney. But they don't do anything with the series without Nomura's say so, to the point that it's basically Square's. It doesn't feel too dissimilar to how Spidey's movie license is still Sony's but we all know damn well Marvel is running.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
If "the roster was finalized in 2015" is the main/only reason for no Arms or XC2 reps, I have a hard time believing somebody from a completely unannounced game is in.

If I remember correctly, didn't they announce Corrin as DLC when they announced Fates for 3DS? They'll probably do that with the new FE character in the spring, along with Ribbon Girl/Spring Man, everyone's weird XC2 rep, a Gen 7/Gen 8 Pokemon (if Incineroar actually isn't in), a new game's rep, and one more weird throwback.
Fire Emblem Fates was already out in JPN when they announced Corrin for Smash.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Banner characters in a November Direct and then the missing character revealed on December 6th at the Game Awards is my guess. Probably Dante or Sora.
This is a pretty solid theory imo. Then it also makes sense that all these insiders have heard, because they have contacts at the game awards.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
???
there are lots of stupid people dude. it's much more likely the guy or his friend didn't really think things through than a guy intentionally destroyed his own life for internet fame.

It just feels like you want to argue without knowing what to say

Don't get me wrong, the background editing is the bigger reason I think its fake. The origin story of this whole thing just seemed really dubious and overlooked.

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017

What the hell? You're losing an argument so you start smearing other people's names? Not once have I ever called you, or any other user, stupid. All I did was call out your nonsense arguments.

The way you're behaving is not cool. You've been relentlessly condescending, and now you're just being petty. Lying is a new low, even for you.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Found the quote regarding Goldeneye being ported to Wii and 360:

In November 2006, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime announced that Nintendo was exploring the possibility of adding the Nintendo 64 video game GoldenEye 007 to the Virtual Console, despite a complicated situation in which the game's developer Rare is owned by Microsoft (producers of the rival Xbox 360 console) and the video game rights to the James Bond franchise are held by Activision. He stated, "We would love to see it [on the Virtual Console], so we're exploring all the rights issues. On 7 January 2008, Xbox Evolved reported that an updated version of GoldenEye 007 would be released on Xbox Live Arcade. However on 11 January 2008, 1UP.com reported that a GoldenEye 007 port (as opposed to a remake) had been in development at Rare for several months, but stated that the title would not be released on the Xbox Live Arcade since "Microsoft and Nintendo couldn't agree on the financial side of things".

Eventually that semi-remake from Activision came out instead.

So yeah, Nintendo and Microsoft weren't exactly adverse to working together, and that was over a decade ago. Times have changed even more since then.

ynthrepic

Oct 25, 2017
I've read this post four or five times and I'm still not quite sure what you are arguing lol.

Someone acting outrageously cocky about their leak only to have it backfire horribly is just too good to be true, almost like the equivalent of talking bad about someone and they're comically standing right behind them.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Eh guys...
924-C5528-3391-422-D-9-AEA-324-D52216-D3-A.jpg

Why did we never argue the Grinch picture

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Found the quote regarding Goldeneye being ported to Wii and 360:

Eventually that semi-remake from Activision came out instead.

So yeah, Nintendo and Microsoft weren't exactly adverse to working together, and that was over a decade ago. Times have changed even more since then.
Those were separate projects. Goldeneye on Wii was supposed to be a Virtual Console/emulation
The game for 360 was a port. It was not meant to be emulated.
It wasn't just about Nintendo either, as they don't own that IP in any way

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Honestly the barriers that were once up for Rare stuff on Nintendo were already pretty small (Goldeneye 64 was very almost ported to both Wii and 360 IIRC), I don't think they'd necessarily say no to Banjo in Smash these days. I'm half expecting his reveal to coincide with a Rare Replay port to Switch (minus everything for Xbox platforms).

There was Age of Empires ds too.

And if this has any meaning for future Banjo announcements, it'd be on the N64 classic mini.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Eh guys...
924-C5528-3391-422-D-9-AEA-324-D52216-D3-A.jpg

Why did we never argue the Grinch picture

I actually linked that very poster in my original post

The difference is the dog is higher, and he's in front of the Grinch's back, of which there are no renders (that anyone has found). You can tell because the Grinch's face (which has green highlights) is on the opposite "side", with the dogs ears peeking out behind him.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It gets to a point in which a company realizes there's more money to be made by lending a certain property to someone else rather than keep it under wraps by themselves. It's the same reason why if Banjo Threeie was to be announced, I'd totally expect it to be released on Switch too. Microsoft has already proved they're willing to do this kind of thing if it guarantees more money with Minecraft.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
I actually linked that very poster in my original post

The difference is the dog is higher, and he's in front of the Grinch's back, of which there are no renders (that anyone has found). You can tell because the Grinch's face (which has green highlights) is on the opposite "side", with the dogs ears peeking out behind him.
I just don't see any back in that blurry piece... how do you guys see it so clearly? The color difference can be attributed to the low quality as well right?
That Or I may not understand your explanation

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Honestly looking at it that Grinch picture does look the same, but I don't see how that changes anything. Why would the leaker have that marketing material on sight in the first place?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see any back in that blurry piece... how do you guys see it so clearly? The color difference can be attributed to the low quality as well right?
That Or I may not understand your explanation

SEISh8Q.png

Side by side and mirrored, to give the full impression. You can see the lighter green face and his nose on the "bottom".

The ornament is meant to be folded over, so the Grinch's face is on one side, and the dog w/ back is on the other.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Honestly looking at it that Grinch picture does look the same, but I don't see how that changes anything. Why would the leaker have that marketing material on sight in the first place?

You could say to make it look more real, so it would have been intentional. Which may be the more out-there theory I know seeing as ut being real is more likely because of the giga effort there would have been made for this to be faked.

Team effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.