• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you in, hooman? (NOTE: Vote-changing disabled!)

• #TeamReal

Votes: 2,046 67.7%
  • #TeamFake

Votes: 978 32.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
SEISh8Q.png

Side by side and mirrored, to give the full impression. You can see the lighter green face and his nose on the "bottom".

The ornament is meant to be folded over, so the Grinch's face is on one side, and the dog w/ back is on the other.
Thanks, now I see!

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You could say to make it look more real, so it would have been intentional. Which may be the more out-there theory I know seeing as ut being real is more likely because of the giga effort there would have been made for this to be faked.

Team effort?

Still seems farfetched to me. As an evidence for it to be real it's pretty precise, I dunno.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really interested in seeing the deal Microsoft made with Nintendo to get Banjo-Kazooie into Smash. I seriously doubt Microsoft did it without getting something in return. I could see a B-List Nintendo property appearing in a Microsoft product. My bet is F-Zero DLC for Forza Horizon 4

Sir Mervyn

Nov 7, 2017
Why is that so hard to understand? How many times has a platform holder allowed their IP to appear in another platform holder's game on a competing machine? Zero?

I'm not saying this is impossible - I'm leaning on real here - and as others have pointed out, Phil Spencer has said he would allow it. But let's not pretend this isn't unprecedented.

Errr... Minecraft? Nintendo and MS even did a joint trailer with both of their logos.

Edit: sorry, I misread, that was not the point. But again, MS is not totally oposed to concede some of their IPs to another plaform holder.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I just don't see any back in that blurry piece... how do you guys see it so clearly? The color difference can be attributed to the low quality as well right?
That Or I may not understand your explanation
I made this quick comparison. Maybe this could be added to the OP to accompany Rotobit's explaination?

fA4imsE.png

I used the dog, and the Grinch's chin on the left poster as reference points. Not only is the Grinch's head lower, you also can't see his eyes, nose and mouth. Besides, it doesn't seem to have the lowest tuft of hair or a cutout line for that, so it's almost 100% a flipped image of the poster on the left (that doesn't explain the difference in height, but he's probably carrying something else than the dog on the front).

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Probability ranking:

100 - Minecraft on Nintendo platforms
85 - Minecraft content available for Smash Bros.
80 - Banjo + Kazooie content available for Smash Bros.
65 - Banjo games available for Nintendo 64 Classic
.00001 - Full Banjo Kazooie sequel released on Switch

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really interested in seeing the deal Microsoft made with Nintendo to get Banjo-Kazooie into Smash. I seriously doubt Microsoft did it without getting something in return. I could see a B-List Nintendo property appearing in a Microsoft product. My bet is F-Zero DLC for Forza Horizon 4
Lmao that's not how it works. Nintendo ain't giving Microsoft anything. Microsoft is already getting advertisement by Banjo and Kazooie being in Smash.

Abcdude

Sep 9, 2018
Banjo-kazooie hasn't been used by Microsoft in a decade. Smart as hell for MS to use them in the most hyped up game of this year than not at all. It's not infringing on potential sales of a new game and actually generates interest in the IP again.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was something that was mutually beneficial to both parties. Banjo-Kazooie in Smash only really benefits Nintendo... unless Microsoft is using it to test the waters for another game.
Banjo and Kazooie in Smash is beneficial to MS too. Don't spin this as a positive for only Nintendo. MS gets huge advertisement. We also have a rumor Minecraft will be represented in the game.

Nintendo isn't giving Microsoft an IP to use in their games.

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Banjo and Kazooie in Smash is beneficial to MS too. Don't spin this as a positive for only Nintendo. MS gets huge advertisement. We also have a rumor Minecraft will be represented in the game.

Nintendo isn't giving Microsoft an IP to use in their games.
Besides that Microsoft could just ask for money I guess?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft and Nintendo have been good with Phil in charge. They even did a Minecraft 2DS version.

Reggie and Phil are like right next door to each other in Redmond.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe we are analyzing a Grinch movie poster to find out if a leak is fake or real lmao. Smash fans sure are wild. I love it haha.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So there's any big hint leading to debunk the leak?

I've seen some background/shadows comparisons in Smashboards but because of the low res of the picture, it's hard to see.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

I've seen some background/shadows comparisons in Smashboards but because of the low res of the picture, it's hard to see.

Supposedly insiders seem to swear up and down Incineroar is in the game. That's pretty much the strongest evidence so far against it.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
1-B974-B80-B37-C-4-D6-C-9-A8-B-CFA91-D90-CC38.jpg

GameXplain are being a bit weird about this whole thing. Andre flat out refusing to even do a discussion video on this even though they'll discuss almost everything usually.

Makes me think two things:

- They 100% know it's fake due to information they have.

- They don't want to get on Nintendo's bad side by discussing information which completely spoils the Smash reveals.

It's probably the first point, but refusing to do a discussion is still a bit off to me as there is a lot to talk about.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

The shadow stuff is weird but it kinda falls apart considering the shadows are re-drawn for every banner anyway, and it doesn't explain things like the blank Battlefield artwork we've never seen before

Even with the best counterpoint argument/conspiracy, that the guy stole the assets from his workplace before quitting, it doesn't explain why some characters have clearer shadows than others (like Cloud) or all of the Grinch stuff.

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
SEISh8Q.png

Side by side and mirrored, to give the full impression. You can see the lighter green face and his nose on the "bottom".

The ornament is meant to be folded over, so the Grinch's face is on one side, and the dog w/ back is on the other.

I made this quick comparison. Maybe this could be added to the OP to accompany Rotobit's explaination?

fA4imsE.png

I used the dog, and the Grinch's chin on the left poster as reference points. Not only is the Grinch's head lower, you also can't see his eyes, nose and mouth. Besides, it doesn't seem to have the lowest tuft of hair or a cutout line for that, so it's almost 100% a flipped image of the poster on the left (that doesn't explain the difference in height, but he's probably carrying something else than the dog on the front).

God damn, you guys are the real MVP's

Yeah adding both of these to the OP, give me one sec

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

GameXplain are being a bit weird about this whole thing. Andre flat out refusing to even do a discussion video on this even though they'll discuss almost everything usually.

- They don't want to get on Nintendo's bad side by discussing information which completely spoils the Smash reveals.

It's probably the first point, but refusing to do a discussion is still a bit off to me as there is a lot to talk about.
The video they uploaded was horrible at explaining why it could be debunked. It was just a 3 minute message saying to not put hope in leaks.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They don't got shit

Darksaberx

Jun 13, 2018
Probability ranking:

100 - Minecraft on Nintendo platforms
85 - Minecraft content available for Smash Bros.
80 - Banjo + Kazooie content available for Smash Bros.
65 - Banjo games available for Nintendo 64 Classic
.00001 - Full Banjo Kazooie sequel released on Switch

So you say there's a chance! I kid..

I would be glad just to have banjo in smash and a xbla port of BK on switch, BT can stay with Microsoft. As for the sequel, a full blown sequel does not interest me, since everything post BK was inferior to the original.

P. S. I would kill for that once rumored BK remake with additional jiggies and events. If I recall correctly, a queen bee was supposed to land on Mumbo's mountain at one point.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They already took their official stance so they're hoping they're right at this point, imho.
I don't think they have any insider info.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

fA4imsE.png

He's likely carrying the red Santa bag along with his dog, makes sense.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Gamexplain is being so weird. They all love Smash and do discussions on all kinds of theories and rumors when it comes to Smash, but they won't even entertain this one.

That only tells me they 100% know the full Smash roster and this leak ain't it.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah Gamexplain is being so weird. They all love Smash and do discussions on all kinds of theories and rumors when it comes to Smash, but they won't even entertain this one.

That only tells me they 100% know the full Smash roster and this leak ain't it.

Could totally be the opposite, this is it and they don't want to get their hands dirty. I have no idea honestly, time will tell, but I don't think they know anything.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017

It is a bit weird that they're not doing a discussion on a possible leak that's this big. You would think that they'd have Rogersbase on for a fun discussion on the possibility of each character.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

This is kinda the first time I've been disappointed with GX tbh :(

I'm hoping them getting more and more inside sources as they get bigger doesn't stop them from even just doing fun discussions and theorizing. From how this insane "leak" came about, to the evidence, to just talking about possible movesets for FIVE newcomers.

Just seems crazy to me that they aren't part of this. It's the most exciting smash speculation has been since right before the September direct, maybe even more.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
For sure GX knows something. That video was such a shoddy coverup, but a necessary one as absolutely no video would seem even stranger.

Question is whether they know it's bunk or they don't want to draw attention because it's real. I'd love it to be the latter, but the former seems likelier.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Supposedly insiders seem to swear up and down Incineroar is in the game. That's pretty much the strongest evidence so far against it.
I'm leaning to think that is fake, but considering that nobody found the exact character arts (the picture is really low-res so maybe that's the main reason) or that no other "leakers" de-confirmed the leak, it's becoming more and more hard to debunk this one.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Gamexplain not doing a discussion is so strange.

They either know it's 100% fake and don't want to entertain it, or doing Sakurai a solid by not giving it any promotion.

Ash did mention they hate covering leaks when Sakurai works so hard to keep everything secret in their podcast.

OP
OP
ResetGreyWolf

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
It is a bit weird that they're not doing a discussion on a possible leak that's this big. You would think that they'd have Rogersbase on for a fun discussion on the possibility of each character.

This is kinda the first time I've been disappointed with GX tbh :(

I'm hoping them getting more and more inside sources as they get bigger doesn't stop them from even just doing fun discussions and theorizing. From how this insane "leak" came about, to the evidence, to just talking about possible movesets for FIVE newcomers. Just seems crazy to me that they aren't part of this.

It's especially ironic since their name is GameXplain yet they're not xplaining why they're behaving/thinking the way they are. I'm also a bit disappointed in how they've been reacting to this

AndreGX

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have thought, even if they knew it was total BS, Gamexplain would still be happy to do a discussion, given it will get views all the same.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamexplain didn't do a discussion on Box Theory too. They put a short video and Derrick didn't seem to believe it.

Gamexplain did a discussion on Blog Theory though and they seemed to go along with that one or liked what they heard from it atleast.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

Now that you mention Roger, has anyone noticed that he has been absent from the last couple of GameXplain Smash discussions? Especially the pre-Direct and post-Direct ones.

But to stay on topic it's indeed weird how they behave.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So why don't we talk about that guys job? He supposedly works for a firm which does stuff for bandai namco. But the thing is, while sure - a japanese team from bamco works at the game, Nintendo is the publisher. So Nintendo is in charge of marketing stuff. The way I look at it, having worked as a media designer myself, those are just a few guys trolling the internet. Promo-work can get boring pretty quickly, 'cause your just doing stuff your client told you (like printing the grinch) with no chance for creative input what so ever. Most likely they got bored and though it would be a funny idea. You generally don't mix big projects (like the grinch and smash) and preparing stuff for both of them on one big cutting table, so I have my doubts.

Nov 1, 2017

lol they've made videos that lasted multiple hours based on literal seconds of footage before.
Of course they're not in any way obligated to cover this but for a leak gaining this much traction it's honestly pretty funny they're not even going to humor it given their tendencies to make videos on anything smash related.

I wonder if they really do know something the rest of us don't

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Consider that a lot of insiders who have spoken out about this usually don't speak strongly on Smash rumors and I feel like it behooves to consider why they choose to speak up now of all times - especially when it's such a fanboy dream-come-true character increase. I highly doubt it's to get attention when they could just do that any other time. Gamexplain in particular no doubt get a lot of clicks from Smash coverage, and that they're choosing against active coverage on this one is a little telling to me. It's not as if they don't cover bogus rumors other times.

Status
Not open for further replies.