• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018

To no ones surprise i guess. Not sure how are they planning for OW to survive for more than year and a half tho.
The game was revealed back in 2019 btw. And only one new hero was briefly showed since then with some redesigns and PVE/PVP gameplay recently.

OW got no major content release since Echo back in early 2020.

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
With a bunch of major sponsors pulling out of OW League, this game's future sure seems dire. I'm not even sure if the interest for hero shooters is there anymore especially when OW2 intend to shake up the known formula, unless they release a full fledge CG movie or something.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Lol wat. Might as well pretend it was never a thing if it's coming in 2023.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I imagine a very well done OW2 could revitalize interest in the OW brand, but yeah Blizzard seems to be in no state to get anything done right now.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
At this point is better to release the content in OW1 and call it a day.

Jan 10, 2018
To no ones surprise? Well I'm very surprised. They've shown something that looks like at least alpha stage, and a lot of footage at that. I was pretty much convinced this was going to release within a year.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good. Blizzard is trash, it's always been known. I'm glad they're finally seeing some proper consequences for their actions rather than it all being brushed under the rug for the hype of 'NEW GAME!' like it seemed to be when OW2 was first announced.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It was such a silly decision to even make a sequel, but to announce it so early and then completely kill support for the existing title is just mind bogglingly stupid.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Lol. Just lol.

Series is dead. More dead than ever.
OW still has a decent amount of people playing it, despite no meaningful content released for the game in more than a year.
I'm sure OW2 will still attract millions of people even if it releases in 2025.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Firstly, fuck activision and blizzard.

Secondly, I am still unclear why this is being treated as a sequel because nothing about it seems compelling enough to charge as a full game. I don't even think blizzard knows what to do with it and what it should be.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I'm just surprised that 2022 was in play for OW2 at all.

I've been off ever since their role queue system kind of removed my play style. The community modes have literally been all I've used for about a year now. I don't see OW2 changing much for me

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can you name a better combo than Blizzard and Delays?

Well, there's probably a more recently brought to light one that fits I suppose...

Jan 10, 2018
Overwatch is dead is something I usually hear from twelve year olds who believe that their one friend who dropped OW for Fornite represents all of mankind.

Overwatch is still in the top 10 most played PC games and top 20 on console. If that's dead then I'm not sure what counts as alive.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Just lol.

OW still has a decent amount of people playing it, despite no meaningful content released for the game in more than a year.
I'm sure OW2 will still attract millions of people even if it releases in 2025.

It's dead Jim.

There's no way you can come back showing a smile towards representation and LGTBQ+ after what has happened. We know it's fake. OW2 is a PR nightmare.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
It was such a silly decision to even make a sequel, but to announce it so early and then completely kill support for the existing title is just mind bogglingly stupid.

This. I still wish they had gone the expansion pack route but I think this is a Left 4 Dead situation where it's needed for consoles?

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It seems like the motivation for OW2 was to make something more e-sports friendly and now that sponsors are pulling out with the company reputation in the gutter I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire thing cancelled.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
This whole project has been mismanaged since it started out as Titan. Delays, reboots, it's all never ending. I wonder How much of it is due to recently-departed Kaplan's leadership of it, and how much is other circumstances.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
This. I still wish they had gone the expansion pack route but I think this is a Left 4 Dead situation where it's needed for consoles?
Acti likely simply wouldn't give funding for a PvE expansion alongside normal continued support and demanded a sequel leading to this clown fiesta where a game whose multiplayer will simply continue with OW2 ends up in a massive content drought for what will now be years

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Everything going on with ActiBlizz confirmed I wasn't buying this anyway, but this wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I loved the original game for a lot of reasons many people who dropped the game did: the characters and potential for story.

The main focus was clearly on competitive multiplayer after a set point and barely anything progressed in terms of character or story in the several years since launch.

Now with sponsors pulling out, lack of meaningful content updates and the sequel potentially being 2 years out still, even the competitive players aren't happy. Neither are the people like me who were most looking forward to the PVE campaign at one point.

They tried to appeal to everyone, and ended up appealing to nobody instead.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
I wouldn't really trust Metro on this type of news, he usually accurate with Blizzcon news.

It seems like the motivation for OW2 was to make something more e-sports friendly and now that sponsors are pulling out with the company reputation in the gutter I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire thing cancelled.

Yes, the core reason for creating the sequel was to make a larger PvE mode, must be esports fault. Always esports fault.

If people weren't clamoring for more PvE out of OW we wouldn't have a sequel.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily, the PVP of OW2 is a free update to OW1, which makes the actual selling point of OW2 the PVE additions.

Though the impression OW's development always gave off to me is that they're winging it. The fact that they're considering making it 5v5 for OW2 signals to me that OW struggles with its core design.

Oct 27, 2017
Shoving OW into the maintenance mode for... 3 years?

Blizzard still made it out like bandits selling broadcasting rights, spots and generally debuting at the peak of esports craze, where the growth was peaking. It is the shit their partners have to deal with now, when the viewership is quarantined in YT, game receives no content updates, all esports teams are like random fiverr rebrands, and all the promises about esports arenas and finding new audiences were... lies.

No way Kaplan's departure isn't related to the problems of OW/2 dev.

Feb 24, 2018
At this point, is it even worth having the multiplayer be the same server as O1 or whatever they were trying to do if we're looking at 2023 at minimum?

And yeah, this project seems to be a mess from the outside, people leaving, the slow development, Blizzard's utterly despicable abuses and acts on it's workers, the walk outs etc. Wouldn't really feel comfortable buying O2 now given what's happening.

Overwatch has been a big shame the past few years, I used to love playing it but every one of my friends stopped playing it years ago and the game kind of just did nothing, hell even the competitive mode, the mode the cared about the most seem to keep mucking up as it became clear they were catering on to the highest level play and Esports players with those map rotations, weekly character ban lists and patches that seem to make the game less fun for everyone but those aforementioned players.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Just cancel it. Nobody wants it, nobody is exited for it and it seems like a trainwreck since the very beginning.

And cancel the awful company with it.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I have never played overwatch but I know tons of people who do play it daily. My nephew even bought a second PS5 so his wife can play it when he plays something else. I'm not really sure people who are saying it's dead are being objective

OP
OP
NeoRaider

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I have never played overwatch but I know tons of people who do play it daily. My nephew even bought a second PS5 so his wife can play it when he plays something else. I'm not really sure people who are saying it's dead are being objective
It might not be dead but it's doing much worse compared to games like Apex Legends and Fortnite. It's basically abandoned when it comes to content for year and a half now.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, here's to another year and a half of the same rehashed events. But hey, we get like 15 new (outsourced) skins!

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Hate to see it, but lol at era's bubble and mass punishment mentality. There are 100s of employees working at Blizzard
And let's be honest based on previous similar incidents people (and loyal fans) will forget it in a couple of weeks, months max.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Development across multiple projects has probably ceased considering the shit that's going down right now.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
This game looks like a 2016 game and half the content will even be playable in OW1 and it's not coming out until 2023? What a joke.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Hate to see it, but lol at era's bubble and mass punishment mentality. There are 100s of employees working at Blizzard
And let's be honest based on previous similar incidents people (and loyal fans) will forget it in a couple of weeks, months max.

I agree Era is underestimating how popular Overwatch is (as ever) and that OW2 will still do well enough when it comes out, but we actually have had a huge discussion about the "think about the devs" argument here before and most seem to agree it doesn't hold much water.

You can read it here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-...t-the-think-of-the-poor-devs-argument.288614/

Nobody is saying everyone that works on ActiBlizz games is complicit in the horrific stories that have come out, but nobody should feel like they have to buy OW2 to support everyone else at the company who had nothing to do with what's going on.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, Starcraft 2 and Warcraft 3 Reforged all are dead or on the way to the cemetery. WoW is in its worst shape ever and Diablo 4 is light years away.

Diablo 2 remake is the only thing remotely exciting from Blizzard in what, the next 2 years. Or at least that was the case until they showed what a hellscape of a company they are. Fuck them forever.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I know this is an awful idea for profits, but they really should just push the new content to the live OW1 in 2022 and put the mission stuff/story in a later separate release. The people still playing OW are there for the PVP, plain and simple, and they're quickly losing interest.

I say this as someone who was playing Overwatch daily until recently.