• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Ridge Racer 8 is VERY important IMO for Switch as it'd be a pretty high-profile exclusive racer, especially as a mainline entry (as opposed to Ridge Racer 3D on 3DS).

Nintendo systems always felt short on those. I mean Sony has Gran Turismo, Microsoft has Forza, Nintendo has.... Mario Kart?

Even if Ridge Racer isn't first-party, it's still something Nintendo REALLY needs.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Breakdowncover.jpg
I've always wanted to play that.

This is a new studio with most of the leads having worked on The Force Unleashed or Star Wars 1313.

So we'll see...

It's pretty interesting that a lot of people that worked on Star Wars are in the studio.
Ah orite, that's pretty cool I guess, will be interesting to see how it looks without Retro developing it.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
Ridge Racer hasn't been exclusive to Sony in years. There was an altered port for N64, there was a port of 1 for DS's launch, 6 was a 360 exclusive launch title, RR3D for the 3DS's launch, that multiplatform one by Bugbear that was essentially their take on Burnout, and a bunch of mobile games.
Im mostly talking about weird "Switch Only" xclusivility, I mean I'd get that Xbox is doing horribly in Asia. But to skip PS4, is just super weird, like I sais, considering the sparse amount of RLL Arcade Racer right now.

Oct 26, 2017
Don't understimate new studios.

Ubisoft Singapore is making an AAA game (Skull & Bones), and that is their first AAA game a brand new IP, they were a "support studios", doing outsourcing and helping to port Ubi games on PC like Ubisoft Shangai, Kiev, Bucharest etc...

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Repurposed from what? As old as 6 and 7 are, they'd look absolutely terrible on the Switch. If they want low budget, they can just farm it out to another studio. But I doubt they'd bother to bring back Ridge Racer after all this time for a shitty-looking game

Compared to other stuff on Switch? I dunno, Ridge 7 looks decent. Maybe I need to revisit, it's been a while and I might be making things up in my head.

But yeah... I want an actual new game. 6, 7, Vita and 3DS were all heavily based on the PSP games in the first place!

I just remembered there were polls about peoples favourite Ridge a while back, and 4 handily won. Conspiracy theory: Type 4 remake for PS4, new title for Switch. Boom!

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
This is very exciting news and I'm glad a new studio is having a stab at the franchise - it will certainly be a fresh experience! I'm sure the team must be good if Nintendo is trusting them with Metroid. Samus Returns seems to have gone down well in similar circumstances :)

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeh make a racing game strongly associated with the PS brand, console exclusive to Switch. Not to mention PS4 juggernaut numbers would make it even less sense. Some one is smoking whatever capcom is smoking if this is true lol

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

Ubisoft Singapore is making an AAA game (Skull & Bones), and that is their first AAA game a brand new IP, they were a "support studios", doing outsourcing and helping to port Ubi games on PC like Ubisoft Shangai, Kiev, Bucharest etc...
Ubisoft Singapore is doing Skull & Bones because they handled the naval combat component of Black Flag and this concept evolved from that. :)

Jan 13, 2018
Singapore Studio currently has 5 job openings:
  • Senior Game Designer
  • Mid Level Designer
  • Art Director
  • Senior Animator
  • Lead Environment Artist
Some of the most noteworthy things I noticed was the emphasis on having Triple AAA experience (at least 3-5 yrs.) and having Unreal Engine knowledge as a plus. I don't know if this is a coincidence, but either way, at least you now know that their studio in Singapore ain't your run-of-the-mill B game developers. Also, don't forget that Nintendo outsourced Super Smash 4 to Bandai Namco and that turned out pretty well.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Where's that guy with the Kirby avatar? Surprised to not see him chip in yet. He's going to kick off BIG TIME when he sees this news.

Oct 29, 2017
My hype level:

Metroid Prime 4 - awww yisss +40
Made by Bamco - what they don't have any pedigree in games like this -30
Unknown team in SG - they have no experience AND farm it out to an outsourcer? -30
Started in Aug 2016 - okay unless Nintendo already did all the prototyping (it's possible), no way an inexperienced team releases the game this year -20
Made by former Star Wars 1313 devs - okay that's cool +20
Pitching creative ideas for levels - man if this is akin to Mario Galaxy or Titanfall 2, then that's 100% what Metroid needs right now +30

Hype still slightly in the plus, whew.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't really understood Ridge Racer since I first played one back on the PS2. But hey if other people enjoy it!

Interested to see what develops with Metroid Prime 4. Bandai Namco just seems like such a weird choice but I mean I doubt Nintendo would fuck this up. Then again... Other M happened. Idk.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Haha. I thought twice and then I decided it didn't exist. So I stand correct. It was exclusive too! Meaning that exclusive RR games are pretty much the norm so there is nothing weird.

Every single RR game is exclusive aside from some oddities. Ridge Racer 3D is exclusive, both PSP RR are too, and so on.

Even the android/iOS ones are afaik

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe that after the whole Bayonetta 2 fiasco Nintendo dares to steal a game once again smh.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Yeh make a racing game strongly associated with the PS brand, console exclusive to Switch. Not to mention PS4 juggernaut numbers would make it even less sense. Some one is smoking whatever capcom is smoking if this is true lol

Ps4 juggernaut numbers don't really matter as this is a franchise that wouldn't sell a lot in that console, because ps4 players already have alternatives to the genre. Switch owners on the other hand, have no good racing games right now (I love MK but that's more of a Party-Racing game).

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Maybe he just wanted to be specific in what he does (it's a job resume after all), these stuff gets past his NDA, and doesn't really care if people made the connection anyway. Ridge Racer is very specific though.

When you're working on a high profile Nintendo game like this. You need to be extremely cautious.

Stating that you work on a FPS Adventure game, it can ONLY be a Metroid Prime game. I don't think there are other FPA on the market... So he wasn't cautious enough imo. And I won't be surprised he'll update his Linkedin page.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd bet that this Prime 4 will have cover segments. You play in 1st person, and then switch to 3rd person when covering.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ps4 juggernaut numbers don't really matter as this is a franchise that wouldn't sell a lot in that console, because ps4 players already have alternatives to the genre. Switch owners on the other hand, have no good racing games right now (I love MK but that's more of a Party-Racing game).

There know we had a sub-genre to racing games lol

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

AFAIK, Ubisoft Milan was a support studio before Mario & Rabbids as well.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
RR has been trash since RR4.
As in MP4 for stuff...is Retro really working on Labo and Donkey Kong again?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I would like to know what Bandai Namco Singapore have done before. I guess they will be mostly made up of a new team, though, will be interesting to see how they handle a FPS game, I don't think any Bando Namco division have made an FPS game.

Also, Ridge Racer 8 is a surprise.

This studio was only founded in 2013, with a lot of its early work being an outsource and support component of the bigger Bamco studios, it's hard to tell at what scope their involved projects have been.

Looking at Linkedin, these are some, if not all of the games that Bandai Namco SG employees have supported or worked with in some capacity:

- Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- Tekken 7 Fated Retribution
- God Eater Resurrection
- Rise of Incarnates
- StarWars Battle Pod
- Lostland
- Dead Storm Pirate Special edition
- Zombie Stampede

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
When you're working on a high profile Nintendo game like this. You need to be extremely cautious.

Stating that you work on a FPS Adventure game, it can ONLY be a Metroid Prime game. I don't think there are other FPA on the market... So he wasn't cautious enough imo. And I won't be surprised he'll update his Linkedin page.

Considering he has RR8 Switch exclusive in there blatantly, when such a thing has not been announced yet, I'd think he has bigger fish to fry. IF this is even true.

Last edited: