• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Eh. That sounds like a huge misrepresentation. Bandai Namco Singapore is not a "dummy" office. It's a very significant serious investment into the region. It's also part of the reason why there are more and more Gundam and SRW games released in English, and the localizations getting better from SAO days.

Meant to say "shell" office, dummy was all I can think off at the moment when I posted and your right about Bamco trying to get more presence there. But hiring alot of ex Lucasarts staff and going unnoticed for 2 years until now. If it weren't for some lead designer posting his resume online, couple with whispers, Bamco Singapore got more recognition now.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn on this. I want to freak out, my initial reaction was "it's gonna suck, wtf are they doing"
Then I remember what we were all thinking when we learned that an unknown texan studio was making a 3D first person Metroid.
And I ease up a bit.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Excellent, I shall enjoy RR8 greatly, at 4K.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd think Prime 4 would be mainly by ether a major team at BN, or this team is assisting literally ANY other team/developer. For example, Nintendo got BN to assist in Mario Kart 8 and ARMS. I'll have to check if the Singapore team is credited in either of those two games, but still, it's a possibility.

Edit: Just checked the credits of both and they're only credited as "Bandai Namco Studios" in both under Special Thanks. And one person in MK8D's credits under Special Thanks is marked as being from Bandai Namco Entertainment.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I totally forgot about Star Wars 1313 and its FPS vibe. Makes sense Bamco created a "dummy" office to throw alot of people off and keep the project hush for 2 years and hired Star Wars 1313 developers, artists and planners for MP4. My hopes have risen alot noe, rather than being deflated only an hour ago.

That's just completely off-base, Bamco Singapore is not some "dummy" office and have actually been doing a lot in bringing their games to the (SE)Asian markets.

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/spore-seen-as-key-hub-for-japanese-game-makers

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Meant to say "shell" office, dummy was all I can think off at the moment when I posted and your right about Bamco trying to get more presence there. But hiring alot of ex Lucasarts staff and going unnoticed for 2 years until now. If it weren't for some lead designer posting his resume online, couple with whispers, Bamco Singapore got more recognition now.
No, it's not a shell office either. It's the SEA branch of Bandai Namco that handles development, localization, and regional publishing. C'mon.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it was all a trick. Perhaps Nintendo have been playing us all (like cursed stringed instruments) and Star Wars 1313 NEVER EXISTED! The footage we saw was an early MP 4 prototype, cunningly covered in Star Wars logos and imagery to throw us off the scent. You sly dogs Nintendo, I'm on to you.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Bandai Namco seemingly confirmed doing Prime 4 means more internal Nintendo studios free to work on new games and other projects.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Ace Combat 7 VR being made by the team behind Star Wars Battle Pod actually kind of makes sense.

Nov 3, 2017
There certainly is a lot of compelling evidence that's BN Singapore is the main developer of MP4. I wonder if the game will use Unreal Engine 4? Their job listings seem to favour candidates with experience in that engine.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Nintendo funding ridge racer while leaving our boy captain falcon to die is the saddest most Nintendo thing to happen this year

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of annoyed Namco decided to resurrect Ridge Racer over doing a decent home version of Wangan Midnight.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Bandai Namco Singapore offices are a few floors above my office where I seen their employees, they been approaching and recruiting students from media schools for years and years. Stop your tinfoil nonsense.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
BN Singapore is 100% making this game.

"
BANDAI NAMCO Studios Singapore Pte Ltd
Dates EmployedAug 2016 – Present

Employment Duration1 yr 7 mos
LocationSingapore

- Communicated with IP stakeholders.
- Managed a multi-cultural development team
- Project manager: responsible for timeline schedule and 3 million USD budgets
- Producer: Famous IP title

- Director: famous IP title"

Yes, the timing lines up too with it being just under a year before they first announced it.
Gameplay will 100% be at E3 and I think it'll be out Q1 2019

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now we know that Bandai said they have 3 exclusives coming to Switch. This shows Ridge Racer 8 is one of the games. I wonder what the other two are.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's always had a weird relationship to the Ridge Racer series, with the N64 getting Ridge Racer 64 as NST's first project I believe in 1999/2000 ish. So them agreeing to finance a new instalment doesn't surprise me.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would you list secret projects on linkedin? Seems like a great way to get fired, so must be fake.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
I have a good feeling about this to be honest, it's probably one of the better outcomes we could have hoped for given that Retro have been relegated into "what do they even do?" tier.

Given enough development time, there's no reason why this game shouldn't be good. Also, fuck, Prime 4 is going to be BEAUTIFUL.

MattWilsonCSS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must be missing something, why is the unannounced IP supposed to be Metroid? Couldn't it be a new IP from Bamco themselves? Or do people think that Metroid Prime 4 will be the only FPS on Switch ever?

Seems more likely that Bamco has a new FPS IP that is exclusive to Switch.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Was always kinda scratching my head at the Bandai Namco Metroid rumors, but learning it's a newish studio with a lot of talent pilfered from the sinking ship that was LucasArts/Star Wars 1313 helps me make sense of it. It fits a lot more with Nintendo's MO.

Also always thought the Switch presented a great opportunity for retro revivals, so hopefully Ridge Racer 8 is the start of a trend (though I wouldn't mind if they went multiplatform, of course).

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I must be missing something, why is the unannounced IP supposed to be Metroid? Couldn't it be a new IP from Bamco themselves? Or do people think that Metroid Prime 4 will be the only FPS on Switch ever?

Because there have been rumours of Bamco doing MP4 for a while now, and one of the LinkedIn pages actually mentions sending stuff to Nintendo.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
By rationalizing the meaning of "exclusive" in the Ace Combat listing, it undermines the meaning of exclusive for Ridge Racer and "Unannounced IP" listings... which in turn, undermines this whole things connection to Metroid Prime 4.

Oh ok.

Still, he's at the helm
Tanebe wasn't at the helm of Metroid Prime or even necessarily Metroid Prime 2. That would have been Miyamoto (MP1) and Kenji Miki (MP1 and MP2 before going over to Club Mario). Tanebe was at the helm for Hunters, Curruption, and Fed Force... so you'll have to forgive some of us for not being too excited for his vision of Samus & Sylux's Adventures in Time.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Ridge Racer is true I wonder what other Japanese IP Nintendo might be willing to finance from third parties. Bayonetta and Devil's Third on Wii U ... but they have probably more of a greenlight with Switch due to all the money its making and the emphasis on steady software releases.