• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Well.. Ridge Racer usually is exclusive to one platform at a time. 6 on xbox, 7 on PS, wouldn't be out of reach if 8 is on Switch. specially since graphics wise, The switch / PS3 / Xbox 360 arent very fat from each other. so they could be using the same old engine plus updated graphics and tracks / cars

But Metroid prime ? emmm.. Err i duno

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
My current prediction is Metroid Prime 4 will be a 2019 title, and an HD Metroid Prime Trilogy will release on Switch.

Again, it's just a prediction, but that's how I see it at the moment.

I am currently playing it on my WiiU for the first time but with the (rather fast) growing install base of the switch and the upcoming fourth entry of the series it totally makes sense. It really is a great experience in all its facets.

RacerBest

Nov 3, 2017
Ridge Racer 8!! I didn't think this would ever happen. If it's anything like Ridge Racer 7 I might need a Switch.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
If there's a Metroid Prime HD Trilogy, I wonder if Retro's doing it. Having Retro port both the trilogy and DKCTF would explain why their next original game is taking so long.
Retro isn't working on DKCTF, and would likely not be the studio doing an HD port of the trilogy, if that even exists. There are other studio's to do that.

It's highly likely (don't think it's confirmed) DKCTF is ported by Monster games, who helped with the development and did the 3DS port of DKCReturns (and Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS)

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
If they do the trilogy, how do you see them adapting the pointer controls of Prime 3? There's gyro pointing, but that's not traditionally been as fast or fluid as the IR pointer was, and would require Skyward Sword-esque recalibration.
It would be gyro+right stick aiming just like Splatoon and BotW.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
If Ridge Racer 8 is happening I hope it includes an Arcade History mode (ala Tekken 5 on PS2).

KupQLZL.jpg

WM01705.jpg

4ZXIADR.jpg

fKe1LID.jpg

Schaft0620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you imagine when 3rd parties got Switch Dev kits? These games have been in development for what? 15 months? Making the games about 1/2 way done?

Summer 2019 for a large scale AAA Metroid with no delays best case.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 is coming, but it won't be made by series custodians Retro Studios. Instead, a brand new team in house at Nintendo EAD will be making the game. This was confirmed by Nintendo's Bill Trinen.

https://gamingbolt.com/metroid-prim...ll-has-series-producer-overseeing-development

There are more sources to this.
Anyway how can this namco rumor be true than?
Yeah seems strange because they already confirmed that it's done by a new Nintendo team? Maybe co-development or something like that.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Georgian.

Cars have been referred to as "machines" ("manqana") since forever. To the point where most would think about an automobile if they heard the word "machine" out of context. Same is true for Russian ("mashina").

Huh, that's interesting. I had no idea—thanks for the insight!

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Permanently exclusive? Probably not.

But exclusive for a few years? Why would it not be likely? The Gamecube had 1 and the Wii had 2 exclusive Tales. The DS and 3DS also had exclusive Tales games.

I guess a spin off has a decent chance but mainline Tales has been doing well on Sony consoles.

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are they fucking crazy making RR8 an exclusive?! RR is a PlayStation platform title and itd go best with its brand recognition on that platform + go Multiplatform on xbox1 (and switch). It'll also look way better. Crazy talk.
You should think before you post. This would not be the first time RR was for another system than PS

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
. Instead, a brand new team in house at Nintendo EAD will be making the game. This was confirmed by Nintendo's Bill Trinen.

Bill did not say this. The original source (IGN) only has that Trinen said "talented new development team." It doesn't say anywhere that it's an inhouse team.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 is coming, but it won't be made by series custodians Retro Studios. Instead, a brand new team in house at Nintendo EAD will be making the game. This was confirmed by Nintendo's Bill Trinen.

https://gamingbolt.com/metroid-prim...ll-has-series-producer-overseeing-development

There are more sources related to this.

Bruh did you read that? First there's no such thing as EAD. Second it links to IGN and all Bill said was it's being developed by a "talented new team". He didn't say anything about it being internal. That website wrote some bs that Bill didn't say.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017

This is a case of information passing through too many filters. The original IGN report (linked below) that this article uses as a source makes no mention of EAD. It simply states that the game is being developed by a new team. No mention of whether it's inhouse or external.

http://www.ign.com/metroid-prime-4/...d-prime-4-is-not-developed-by-retro-still-has

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah seems strange because they already confirmed that it's done by a new Nintendo team? Maybe co-development or something like that.
Bill doesn't seem to say that in the article's source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06...d-by-retro-still-has-longtime-series-producer
Instead, Nintendo's Bill Trinen revealed at a group interview that the game is being built by a "talented new development team." Despite the shift, the game will still be overseen by longtime producer Kensuke Tanabe, who produced the previous Metroid Prime games.
Bill said Metroid Prime 4 is being made by a new development team, but he didn't say it's being made by a development team inside Nintendo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't. That website spun it up and made stuff up. It links to IGN. All Bill said was it's being developed by a new talented team. He didn't say anything about it being internal.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they do the trilogy, how do you see them adapting the pointer controls of Prime 3? There's gyro pointing, but that's not traditionally been as fast or fluid as the IR pointer was, and would require Skyward Sword-esque recalibration.
??? Gyro aiming is working very well with Splatoon 2, I don't see why they couldn't use it for MP4 or a MP trilogy port. Thankfully because I can't play fps-like games without gyro anymore.

Last edited:

faint

Oct 27, 2017
There's the way out ---->

Given that it's a rumour thread (although very likely true) I should be allowed to openly express my dismay.

Ridge Racer is a stale IP that needs a big shake up while this Metroid news just sounds tragic and makes me wonder what Nintendo is doing with Retro (I saw the Labo rumours...) but for the love of God do not become the next Rare.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

If you read the IGN article sourced in that article, you'll notice that they don't refer to Nintendo EAD at all (because EAD doesn't even exist anymore) but instead a "talented new development team", which has been know for months, which fits Bandai Namco Singapore.

EDIT: Beaten by a few minutes.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I guess a spin off has a decent chance but mainline Tales has been doing well on Sony consoles.

Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Symphonia 2, Tales of Graces, and the three DS games were not spinoffs. Some of them were later ported to Sony consoles, but they were initially exclusive to Nintendo systems. Same thing can happen now with a Switch version.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds weird, but.. ok. It's possible as they did do the Wii ports of metroid themselves.

Oh ok, didn't know that about Monster Games.

Yeah Monster Games wanted to do NASCAR games, but we do know Retro is doing the DKCTF port. Maybe they could be doing a MPT HD port along with a new Switch game.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Given that it's a rumour thread (although very likely true) I should be allowed to openly express my dismay.

Ridge Racer is a stale IP that needs a big shake up while this Metroid news just sounds tragic and makes me wonder what Nintendo is doing with Retro (I saw the Labo rumours...) but for the love of God do not become the next Rare.

I didn's say you couldn't express your dismay. I just showed you the way out since you are not interested in what the thread is about :)

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can believe it.

I'm sort of apprehensive about putting too much stake into the preconceived "pedigree" of any developer that handles Metroid. The series is probably one of the most fickle to ever exist. Unproven developers at Retro created two of the best games ever made; when the key talent eventually left Nintendo to form Armature, that company has been throwing out nothing but duds. More established developers like MercurySteam and Team Ninja have both tried their hands on the franchise, and those have been to varying degrees of success ranging from pretty good to outright mediocre.

Whoever gets to develop Prime 4 has a lot to prove regardless of whether they're an acclaimed studio or up-and-coming talent because the science of what makes a good Metroid game is incredibly deliberate and easy to gloss over. Much of what makes Metroid good can also be attributed to pure happenstance and happy accidents. Not a lot of franchises and genres can claim to hold such a dubious distinction.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the new Ridge Racer intro! Nintendo starts to look really agressive with this "3rd party" exclusives...

Oh my god this is such a classic intro, but I didn't remember it being so horribly sexualised.

EDIT: oh that's because it's a remake of the intro. The original wasn't anywhere near that bad. Who is this by? Some Pervy fan?

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you read the IGN article sourced in that article, you'll notice that they don't refer to Nintendo EAD at all (because EAD doesn't even exist anymore) but instead a "talented new development team", which has been know for months, which fits Bandai Namco Singapore.

EDIT: Beaten by a few minutes.

Ok i've doing some multiple checks on that, and it seems that you are right

https://abload.de/img/factsheet-e32017-metrlws0a.png

However, Kensuke Tanabe is leading this project it seems. So it could be some co-op dev if the rumor would be true..

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, having the entire Prime trilogy in HD would be amazing, and it would be a great way to re-introduce fans to the Prime series before Prime 4 is released.

I suspect we'll hear something about it soon. I know Nintendo was pushing to make it happen.

I really hope you're right, physical copies of the Metroid Prime Trilogy are going at insane prices for a Wii game. I bought the collection on Wii U when it was 10€ but I'd double dip for a HD version.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Symphonia 2, Tales of Graces, and the three DS games were not spinoffs. Some of them were later ported to Sony consoles, but they were initially exclusive to Nintendo systems. Same thing can happen now with a Switch version.

Yeah, I know. That was ages ago. Things change.

I'm not saying it 100% won't happen. But the way Bamco has been handling the franchise, a proper mainline entry skipping PS4 and PC for Switch exclusivity is very unlikely.

Deleted member 26293

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would buy the shit out of a Prime Trilogy HD, still haven't played those games and well...let's say i'm interested.