• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Metroid needs a multiplayer mode. Can't imagine a series that is most identified with single player story heavy gameplay would somehow stumble upon some multiplayer formula that would blow people's minds and propel it's sales up much further than it would have if they only focused on single player and really made it amazing.

That said, as someone who actually loved the hell out of Hunters and enjoyed Federation Force, I would take some spin off game like that on the eshop in a second.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Metroid needs a multiplayer mode. Can't imagine a series that is most identified with single player story heavy gameplay would somehow stumble upon some multiplayer formula that would blow people's minds and propel it's sales up much further than it would have if they only focused on single player and really made it amazing.

That said, as someone who actually loved the hell out of Hunters and enjoyed Federation Force, I would take some spin off game like that on the eshop in a second.
I would be fine if that spin-off MP game was just included in MP4 too tho.

OP
OP
Cinemikel

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I take to be a universal definition of isolation when people talk about Metroid. For some, it feels more like "NO CHARACTERS, NO DIALOGUE, NO DEVELOPMENT. SAMUS AND RIDLEY ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION."

That's just so fucking tired.
I agree, I would honestly like something like MP3 but with a little bit less Aurora Unit guidance pushing you through

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
This image I pulled from Imgur shows a ton of variety. Kind of.

yOYHse9.jpg

Stupid sexy Samus.

gvKOFfil.jpg

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Uncharted and Last of Us come to mind. While the single players are still huge draws, the multiplayer still have a lot of life in them, helping extend the life of the games.

Metroid can definitely do the same, I think. In fact, this recent news help support the idea, I think. The BN Singapore staff working on the multiplayer mode (a number of the staff worked on a CoD styled multiplayer Star Wars game), while BN Japan works on the single player. The Singapore team could lay the controls groundwork for the whole game thanks to their FPS experience while the JP team builds up the story, art, and level design for the single player

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
More like, not enough people love Metroid.

If the game is good, the Metroid fans will be there, but what about the rest? Hope they market the game well
You would have thought Prime would have jump started the series a lot in sales with it being one of the highest rated games ever and critical praise across the board, but it ended up being the peak.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Ridge Racer... good? Legit never ever heard of anyone buying it, playing it, or even mention it outside of the meme. Is it big in EU or Japan?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You would have thought Prime would have jump started the series a lot in sales with it being one of the highest rated games ever and critical praise across the board, but it ended up being the peak.
(WARNING: Large-scale speculation approaching!)

Metroid Prime attracted a lot of attention for being a first-person Metroid, which was unusual because, well, it's a first-person Metroid. It attracted all of the Metroid fans curious to see what it was like, as well as other people, perhaps FPS fans, as well.

Naturally, it garnered an audience, but not all Metroid fans enjoy first-person shooters, and not all first-person shooter fans were interested in what Metroid Prime offered. So in that sense, that the series peaked with the first isn't really surprising. People came for the novelty and once they had their fill, they were content to stick with either the side-scrolling Metroids or the FPS games that were more their speed. So Metroid Prime basically entered the same rut as the rest of the series, appealing to a select audience, but unable to expand with any significance beyond it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
(WARNING: Large-scale speculation approaching!)

Metroid Prime attracted a lot of attention for being a first-person Metroid, which was unusual because, well, it's a first-person Metroid. It attracted all of the Metroid fans curious to see what it was like, as well as other people, perhaps FPS fans, as well.

Naturally, it garnered an audience, but not all Metroid fans enjoy first-person shooters, and not all first-person shooter fans were interested in what Metroid Prime offered. So in that sense, that the series peaked with the first isn't really surprising. People came for the novelty and once they had their fill, they were content to stick with either the side-scrolling Metroids or the FPS games that were more their speed. So Metroid Prime basically entered the same rut as the rest of the series, appealing to a select audience, but unable to expand with any significance beyond it.
Well that's why there isn't that much they could really do with marketing. People know what the series is at this point, and it either is or isn't for them. So you either completely change some major things with it and alienate the fanbase, or try to make incredible metroid games that will sell to every possible metroid fan and tiny percentage of non fans. Changing little things in trying to "grab more people" really won't help the sales overall.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Well that's why there isn't that much they could really do with marketing. People know what the series is at this point, and it either is or isn't for them. So you either completely change some major things with it and alienate the fanbase, or try to make incredible metroid games that will sell to every possible metroid fan and tiny percentage of non fans. Changing little things in trying to "grab more people" really won't help the sales overall.
That really depends. Look at Fire Emblem. That series was almost mothballed and likely would have been had Awakening not done well. The game ended up including things that a wider audience found appealing (A no-permadeath mode, marriage, just enough nostalgia for old-timers, etc.), and with marketing behind it, it surprised everyone and blew the franchise sales records out of the water. Now, instead of the verge of death, the series is considered one of Nintendo's upper-tier IPs. Not a Mario or Zelda, but it's seeing a healthy number of new releases and Fire Emblem Heroes is far and away their most successful mobile game.

And none of this would have been possible if Awakening wasn't different enough in the ways that mattered.

Nintendo has tried to shake Metroid up to varying degrees, but none of its games have come anywhere close to what Fire Emblem Awakening did for Fire Emblem.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I want some more Guyver influence in Prime 4.

I for one am actually glad Prime 4 will probably have more Japanese flavor. Say what you will about Other M but it felt a bit more true to OG Metroid than the Prime series did. It went back to the Godzilla, Ultraman, Power Rangers design aesthetic and I fucking loved it.

I hope Prime 4 has more of that. Loved Other M's cheesy Power Rangers-esque designs.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I think of MP4's potential multiplayer mode like I do of DOOM 2016's. Completely separate from the main game but still reusing the core game mechanics. You can have isolation in the single player like Nintendo already confirmed there will be, while still having a multiplayer mode with different hunters or other characters that never show up in the single player mode.

The fact that they have BN on the game makes me think online multiplayer is a certainty. Hopefully it won't take away from the single player mode. With enough of a budget I'm sure they'll be able to make both great.

So much this.

I would go crazy if Retro, or a side team of Retro was working on the MP. Or, another team.

Hell, even the same team.

There's no good reason we couldn't have both.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm so ready for MP4, they could just show a render of the suit design and a picture of what the HUD looks like and that would be enough for me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Tanabe has planned for Sylux, I'm hoping it actually has a payoff and MP4 doesn't end with Sylux tailing Samus again.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Let's not forget:

The fact sheet for Metroid Prime 4.

"Metroid Prime 4 returns to the First Person Adventure roots of the original Metroid Prime game and introduces a new storyline that ties together the events of the Metroid Prime universe and takes the storyline in new directions."

The fact sheet for the game also said the upcoming Switch title will see a return to the first-person perspective of the Nintendo Gamecube and Wii Prime titles.

It also reveals the development team are "hard at work bringing the action, isolation and exploration of the Metroid Prime universe to life on Nintendo Switch."

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The last Ridge Racer I played was the DS launch game. It was alright but it basically seemed like Normal Default Racing Game.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
They made a mistake with echoes. The dark/light mechanic wasn't fun, and the series lost momentum because of it. I think there was some other big release too close to it IIRC.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Let's not forget:

"Metroid Prime 4 returns to the First Person Adventure roots of the original Metroid Prime game and introduces a new storyline that ties together the events of the Metroid Prime universe and takes the storyline in new directions."

The fact sheet for the game also said the upcoming Switch title will see a return to the first-person perspective of the Nintendo Gamecube and Wii Prime titles.

It also reveals the development team are "hard at work bringing the action, isolation and exploration of the Metroid Prime universe to life on Nintendo Switch."

Interested to know who the writer is.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They made a mistake with echoes. The dark/light mechanic wasn't fun, and the series lost momentum because of it. I think there was some other big release too close to it IIRC.
I mean I disagree personally, I thought echoes was really great, with a few issues, but I liked the dark/light switching. Either way, blaming the sales on other games out is a bad excuse at this point since there are constantly always new big games coming out. Prime 3 also flopped even with it being on the wii when it was at its peak.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Let's not forget:

"Metroid Prime 4 returns to the First Person Adventure roots of the original Metroid Prime game
excited-face.jpg

and introduces a new storyline that ties together the events of the Metroid Prime universe and takes the storyline in new directions
."
8e3bc7ac19b852079e6afae8f603d2e2--facial-expressions-beyonce.jpg

Stop pitching story shit. Game design first, this is what has to be nailed. 80% of the public reception of the story is going to be a function of the quality of the game behind it.... Unless you do something blatantly stupid and really really bad.

It also reveals the development team are "hard at work bringing the action, isolation and exploration of the Metroid Prime universe to life on Nintendo Switch.

hqdefault.jpg

"

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I've played MP1 a bunch of times and played through MP2 2.5 times. I usually like to play games I really like at least more than once. I don't think I ever made it through a second game of Echoes. When the Trilogy released on Wii I got about half way and got horribly horribly stuck in Torvus Bog. Summer 2016 I had a huge Metroid itch and played through 1 yet again, and decided to tackle 2 again. I got to that same part in Torvus Bog and had again thought I was stuck. Then I finally passed it and I was completely in love. I missed all the upgrades. They were so great.

At the end of the day I came away loving MP2 almost as much as MP1. In fact I could argue MP2 is better. With the Wii controls it's super fun using the different beams and upgrades.

I made it about halfway through MP3 and am now in a similar situation as I was with MP2. I never fully completed a second game of MP3, this is now the second time I've made it halfway through a second game. I still love MP3 though.

2 is no slouch though, I could argue it being even better than 1.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017

Doctre81's LinkedIn hunting backs up the thing about BN Japan taking over from Singapore. But also, "Senior Online Programmer". Hmmmmmm.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Doctre81's LinkedIn hunting backs up the thing about BN Japan taking over from Singapore. But also, "Senior Online Programmer". Hmmmmmm.

Just as I suspected. Almost Threadworthy

If it doesn't take away from the single player, they can do what they need to do to get those copies sold. I wanna see Samus prosper.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just as I suspected. Almost Threadworthy

If it doesn't take away from the single player, they can do what they need to do to get those copies sold. I wanna see Samus prosper.

Maybe not threadworthy but I think this is definitely worth a bit more discussion than these two posts haha

I think a good online mode for MP4 would basically be like DOOM 2016's- completely separate from the main game, with completely different weapons, maps, characters but reusing the same core game mechanics. Maybe with the ability to play as different hunters too.