• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
My guess is that this would be an acqui-hire.

Between Halo and Destiny, Bungie definitely has "it" when it comes to the "thinking man's futuristic FPS" genre. So I think the idea would be to buy them, keep Destiny on all of the consoles, bring the MTX / expansions into Gamepass, but otherwise let it pay for itself. Then leverage the Bungie braintrust to help them figure out what's missing with Halo and help them try to steer the ship.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I don't think he's talking about creative independence, i think he's talking about independence to publish in non Xbox platforms.

Oct 27, 2017
The question is... What does independance mean in this case? They all seem to have some kind of creative independance, so what is Mojang's specific independance parameters that are interesting for Bungie?

What Mojang is doing differently than the other Xbox studios is letting their franchise still be multiplatform despite being part of a console maker, but other than that, what are they doing "independantly"?
Mojang still get to release Minecraft games on other platforms, like Minecraft Dungeons. But that' seems to be down to the power of the IP.
Hellblade 2 won't be on PS5. Any games already in development like Outer Worlds and Psychonaughts 2 had deals in place already but future Obsidian and Double Fine games will likely be Xbox/ PC only.

I think Destiny is big enough that Microsoft would still release a theoretical Destiny 3 on PS5. But other new Bungie games would be Xbox PC only. Maybe Bungie wanted that little bit of extra freedom. But who can say.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
2 billion is too much for Bungie and only further shows the steal Sony got for Insomniac

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is right now hiring former Bungie developers/writers to steer 343 vision of Halo. Its clear that studio multiple atempts in trying to replicate Halo sucess failed every single time.

Every Halo from 343 dropped from the face of the earth in terms of popularity just some months after release. Destiny 2 is 3 years old now and its still played by some one million players daily. There is clearly a "secret formula" in play here.

Destiny is on many more platforms, and not just a mediocre selling one.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I don't think Bungie would look forward to being acquired again. After all, they are doing well on their own and with an audience on multiple platforms. (Playstation probably being their biggest)

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018

giphy.gif

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
If they bought it, I bet they would keep Destiny multiplat like they did with Minecraft. Unless this is just a middle finger to Sony move.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
So if they say nothing it's true, and if they that that it's false... it's still true ?

Not saying it's true one way or another, but the replies to him seem very aggressive. Most companies wouldn't even bother. I think the fact that Destiny is on GP now could lend some sliver of truth to the ordeal.