• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
The goal is to have it work with 10mb down and I've been luck enough to live in a major city where that's obtainable and has been for like 8 years now. Also just knowing through WiFi at my house or any friends house I can easily obtain the bandwidth needed. You just sound so bitter it's sad

Isn't Xbox streaming service being powered by Xbox One S units, which has issues handling the current big 3rd party games

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume the layout would be the same and people just have to be smart enough to understand that. Or put stickers on your controller or something if you can't figure it out. Imo not a big deal.
It IS a big deal. Not everyone is used to the Xinput layout of controllers, particularly Switch owners who have come to get used to the right button being the confirm button.

A back-end solution would probably be in order.
Steam beta allows you to select the Switch controller and then automatically swaps buttons. I think it's something Microsoft could implement pretty easily?
It lets you swap buttons, but button placement isn't reflected accurately, which would be especially hard for things like Metal Gear Rising.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Like SFGP it's possible all these rumours come from the same source though. Could be one person gets it wrong then everyone piggybacking on that.

Like that one person said a few comments up theres an industry built on Nintendo rumours. This is true especially when it comes to youtube.
This is what I think could be happening, too. Originally from one source and then everyone and their mother jumps on he bandwagon to say that they know something. Just look at how Starfox Racing blew up last year.

Not saying this or Starfox Racing are impossible, just that some people put way too much into rumours and justify it by saying certain insiders have said something...and then end up disappointed. Just look at that Call of Duty Switch tweet a few posts above. Didn't happen, but 'insider' was very confident.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
So what? Should Nintendo just give up on getting decent third party support forever, especially now that they've started to make strides in that area over the past couple years? "Just stream it through xCloud!" gaining traction on Switch would not only lessen the appeal and simplicity of the hybrid concept, but also close off a sizable chunk of licensing revenue for good. And that's without even getting into the issue of Microsoft essentially "owning" most of the gaming content on Nintendo's own platform.
I think you're worrying a bit too far in advance there. Let's wait and see what actually happens, if this rumour even comes to fruition. Also, there's still be plenty of indy and some third party titles releasing on Switch anyway. If Gamepass does come and brings 'big' third party games...let's be frank. These titles probably wouldn't have come to Switch anyway. The other thing is, although Switch has been successful for third parties/indies - at least moreso than the Wii U, he majority of software sold is still via Nintendo's titles.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
It's also the kind of thing that if it isn't fake (which is it), it would show itself very soon. If something like that is there, ready to go with a button press, it has to be within a day or two. Relax everyone.

JiyuuTenshi

Oct 28, 2017
It's very likely not fake, multiple people have confirmed seeing it, but it's just the Mixer tab which features PS4 and Switch stuff as well, it's not Xbox exclusive as other people already mentioned in this topic. So it doesn't have any significance for this topic.

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'll bring up the elephant in the room and bring up and mention in reference to the huge incident with THQ Nordic (and I deeply apologize if it's not appropriate to do so here), who not only was working with MS on their PC retail games, but evidently are working with MS on potential Switch games. To clarify, save actual talk about THQ Nordic's situation for the other thread, this is only in reference to their relationship with MS since it's relevant.

My question is who should MS work with instead? My vote: Majesco. They're not just still alive, but are making a new cross-media intended IP for Switch and PC called Coba, and were just bought by Liquid Media Group last year. They seem well on their way nowadays.

Majesco as some may remember did indeed publish Age of Empires: The Ages of Kings and MechAssault: Phantom War on DS. As long as they can actually put out retail games, I see no reason for MS to go anywhere else now. Assuming they won't just do it all themselves now.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll bring up the elephant in the room and bring up and mention in reference to the huge incident with THQ Nordic (and I deeply apologize if it's not appropriate to do so here), who not only was working with MS on their PC retail games, but evidently are working with MS on potential Switch games. To clarify, save actual talk about THQ Nordic's situation for the other thread, this is only in reference to their relationship with MS since it's relevant.

My question is who should MS work with instead? My vote: Majesco. They're not just still alive, but are making a new cross-media intended IP for Switch and PC called Coba, and were just bought by Liquid Media Group last year. They seem well on their way nowadays.

Majesco as some may remember did indeed publish Age of Empires: The Ages of Kings and MechAssault: Phantom War on DS. As long as they can actually put out retail games, I see no reason for MS to go anywhere else now. Assuming they won't just do it all themselves now.
Don't see MS backing down of their deal that's probably too far along to change now

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're worrying a bit too far in advance there. Let's wait and see what actually happens, if this rumour even comes to fruition. Also, there's still be plenty of indy and some third party titles releasing on Switch anyway. If Gamepass does come and brings 'big' third party games...let's be frank. These titles probably wouldn't have come to Switch anyway. The other thing is, although Switch has been successful for third parties/indies - at least moreso than the Wii U, he majority of software sold is still via Nintendo's titles.

He's right though, Nintendo would never allow a full on foreign storefront on their platform, they do generate serious amount of money through licensing.

If xCloud is ever to arrive, though I still think it's highly unlikely, it would be separate releases for games, similar to AC Odyssey and RE7, not through some app. And Nintendo would limit the amount streaming games, I don't think MS could bring no more than 3-4 important games to Switch as streaming. Most important ones possibly, like Halo Infinite or Forza.

Also this "Nintendo platforms sell only for Nintendo games" rhetoric needs to end now. It's not true at all, especially for western market. Third party, not indies, actual high budget third party is crucial to a Nintendo consoles success, Wii U proved that to everyone. One of the most important reason Switch sells so good is that it allows games like Skyrim and Doom to be played anywhere.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think there is such a term as " a deal being too far along" for a company the size of MS making deals with smaller contractors, especially one that is very poisonous like THQ nordic is atm. I can absolutely see Phil tell them to f off

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

They should just selfpublish, like they do with Minecraft on Switch, n3DS and Wii U. If they don't want "Xbox Game Studios" on the box just use the dev names (Mojang, Rare, Moon Studios, StudioMDHR, etc).

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Brad Sams: (MS Insider)
There has been a lot of talk out there about Game Pass on the Switch. I'm hearing from multiple sources that is not happening. Let me qualify, that is definitely not happening in the near term. I can't ever say never, because Microsoft wants Game Pass on TV's, they want it on PC's, they want it on Xbox, they want it everywhere with their XCloud stuff, but as of right now I am hearing from multiple people that it isn't coming to the Switch. Obviously things could change and all that good stuff, but yeah don't expect Game Pass on the Switch anytime soon. At least that is what I'm hearing."

https://nintendowire.com/news/2019/...g-in-the-near-term-but-ori-is-still-imminent/