• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So:
  • Will you need to pay for xbox live to play these games online?
    • If not - Xbox players are getting a worse value
    • If so - that's a lot of money spent on subscriptions that won't benefit Nintendo
  • Will you need to pay for Nintendo Online?
    • If not - Nintendo doesn't gain much from this and players can play online using xbox live on nintendo devaluing Nintendo Online
    • If so - increases the value of Nintendo Online, but makes Gamespass prohibitively expensive
  • Will this bring all Xbox games to switch, only gamespass games, or only first party games?
    • If all Xbox games - giant catalog of games to bring to Switch, but potentially take away time and money that could be spent on native games
    • If it's just gamespass games - similar issue, but makes a bit more sense. Don't imagine there's a huge overlap between nintendo first party and gamespass games
    • If it's just first party games on gamespass - Net benefit for nintendo with console exclusives coming over not conflicting with 3rd parties, but devalues the service considerably. Mixed with xbox live/Nintendo Online potentail requirements, it could be less than optimal
I'm interested in seeing how they make it work without being a bad deal for either.

I guess it could be part of a premium Nintendo Online Service that costs more, with the normal service not including Gamepass costing the same as now. I guess Switch Users won't have to pay for Xbox Live, but also have less 3rd party games included.

I think Nintendo could include certain 3rd party games they want on Switch and that couldn't get ported, perhaps as a per game streaming purchase over Xbox servers, like they make it with AC odyssey in japan. I guess it will be a different offer that Nintendo controlls as it fits for Switch.

Microsoft ports games to Switch that are in the normal gamepass, will be interesting to see if they include Ori and Cuphead in Switch gamepass. I guess the gamepass thing is only for games that can't be ported without cutting the game down too much but i could be wrong. Porting games to switch will be more profitable for Publishers in most cases, if its possible.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Because if players are busy playing Xbox Game Pass games, maybe they would be less likely to invest in the Nintendo ecosystem and purchase retail 60$ products from Nintendo since they are already busy/entertained by a competitors product. There is not an infinite amount of time in the day.

Opportunity cost.
By that logic, having major AAA games from third party publishers on the Switch is also potentially harmful. That just isn't the case.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'll never play a game on streaming, but it's a nice option to have for those interested in that. I just hope that we'll continue to see studios developing and porting ambitious games on switch to run natively rather choosing easy solution of streaming them. For example, the re7 cloud version was a real bummer as I'm sure the switch could have received a real port of the game. I will always choose a game natively running, even if gimped visually, over a steamed game.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does Nintendo lose when they're k just collecting revenue? I'm not sure this makes a Nintendo fan do anything different than before.
Imagine following scenario.

Kid has Nintendo Switch, Father has Xbox Game Pass.

Dad gives access to kid to have Gamepass. See son? Now I don't have to buy you Donkey Kong Country TF for 60$, you have plenty of games to choose from.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
How does Nintendo lose when they're k just collecting revenue? I'm not sure this makes a Nintendo fan do anything different than before.

Agreed. Nintendo games have insane attach rates. They'll be fine.

If anything, Microsoft is going to take some slight damage off of this, but their aim is to become the game streaming market leader. They're looking to 2030, not 2019.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know anything about Microsoft's cloud platform. Will Switch gamers have to subscribe to Xbox Live in order to get access to these streaming titles?

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017

Dad gives access to kid to have Gamepass. See son? Now I don't have to buy you Donkey Kong Country Returns for 60$, you have plenty of games to choose from.

Counter scenario. Kid has Xbox and loves Xbox games. Kid sees friend able to play Xbox games on the go on Switch. Kid begs dad for Switch to play Xbox on the go, and ends up also falling in love with Nintendo games he would have never played otherwise.

This could potentially persuade millions of Xbox owners to buy a Switch, and 90% of new Switch owners are going to also buy Nintendo games. Maybe more?

I'd argue the opportunity cost of NOT putting game pass on Switch is much greater.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't like streaming (yeah yeah old man yells literally at cloud) ... but this would be an interesting thing to happen, really.

Good thing that both, MS conference and Nintendo's E³ Direct are at sane times for me. ^^

Dad gives access to kid to have Gamepass. See son? Now I don't have to buy you Donkey Kong Country Returns for 60$, you have plenty of games to choose from.

Do you have kids? Because if my younger ones really, absolutely want something specific, like in your example DKCR, then they wouldn't stop nagging me about it, Gamepass or not. :]

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of Game Pass curation, I first thought Nintendo might request that Microsoft exclude eShop titles. That'd still give us a wide variety of games on Game Pass, but it wouldn't cut into Nintendo's software sales.

However... Microsoft has plenty of data so far to show that Game Pass increases sales for software and DLC. With that, it might make more sense for Nintendo to allow some overlap. Especially when people who buy a game on Switch would be running it natively.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Counter scenario. Kid has Xbox and loves Xbox games. Kid sees friend able to play Xbox games on the go on Switch. Kid begs dad for Switch to play Xbox on the go, and ends up also falling in love with Nintendo games he would have never played otherwise.

This could potentially persuade millions of Xbox owners to buy a Switch, and 90% of new Switch owners are going to also buy Nintendo games. Maybe more?

I'd argue the opportunity cost of NOT putting game pass on Switch is much greater.
That's a worthwhile point, it definitely goes both ways. It's just such a gamechanging, staggering partnership that really changes the dynamics of both gaming divisions that it's difficult to realize the full ramifications of a deal like this.

I still don't like streaming (yeah yeah old man yells literally at cloud) ... but this would be an interesting thing to happen, really.

Good thing that both, MS conference and Nintendo's E³ Direct are at sane times for me. ^^

Do you have kids? Because if my younger ones really, absolutely want something specific, like in your example DKCR, then they wouldn't stop nagging me about it, Gamepass or not. :]
Haha, back in my day I had to wash 10 neighborhood cars so I could get Kirby's Super Star!

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is actually a great idea. Help Microsoft expand on a competitors platform and give folks who otherwise wouldn't want an Xbox a chance to be exposed to its library potentially driving sales of an Xbox. Would totally not be surprised if true.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Can you imagine playing Cyberpunk 2077 on Switch one day? The port beggars are victorious lmao.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Dad gives access to kid to have Gamepass. See son? Now I don't have to buy you Donkey Kong Country TF for 60$, you have plenty of games to choose from.

But the Kid wants to play DKC TF. :(

Dad: Here son, you play this instead of DKC
apps.54123.14315077775214047.0e03b43f-05ce-4fe4-bb6e-1ae5b824a660.d56cc490-3fbd-48fd-9ddb-ec69a08eeb2a

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I would assume so, part of the gamepass appeal is that there are so many games on it, and streaming third party games is something nintendo already tested before with re:7.

Gotcha, thanks for your reply! I imagine Switch owners would be very pleased to have the full catalog of Game Pass available. I use it on my XB1 and have been really impressed with it

Edit: Tom Nook FWIW Super Lucky's Tale is actually very enjoyable and well designed, especially when going for 100%. And funnily enough one of the level designers from DKCR worked on the game. The game reminds me of the original Crash games with a dash of B-K.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

This is just the same "Gamepass is going to make people less willing to buy games" argument repackaged. But we know this isn't the case. On the contrary, industry experts seem to suggest that games being on Gamepass actually helps those games sell more than they would have otherwise. The more you're using a device the more you might want to find something to play on it.

Well i mean questions like, How will this work on the switch etc (XCloud) etc

Ah yeah, though those are answered in the video in the OP. But beyond that most of this is still complete speculation.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah, though unless Microsoft decides to bring over some of the games natively it'll only be through streaming.

I can imagine Halo is going to be one of the flagship titles for this venture; just the phrase "Halo now available on Switch" is going to make headlines across the industry.
Then this would be amazing! I have wanted to replay these games for such a long time.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just the same "Gamepass is going to make people less willing to buy games" argument repackaged. But we know this isn't the case. On the contrary, industry experts seem to suggest that games being on Gamepass actually helps those games sell more than they would have otherwise. The more you're using a device the more you might want to find something to play on it.

Ah yeah, though those are answered in the video in the OP. But beyond that most of this is still complete speculation.
Well maybe it's just for me personally but the more games I have at hand, the less likely I am going to purchase a new game. And that's 100% true for me.

For instance, if I did not have Game Pass with access to Shadow of the Tomb Raider/Crackdown 3, in addition to the free download of Apex Legends on my PS4.. I may have considered purchasing Anthem. But since I'm already so preoccupied, I see no reason to immediately shell out 60$, instead I will happily wait for a deep discount well down the line when I am not so busy, or maybe never at all, who can say.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Really wondering, if this is true, if Amazon and/or Google will take a close look on this deal.

Haha, back in my day I had to wash 10 neighborhood cars so I could get Kirby's Super Star!

Oh they're not getting everything they want, we don't spoil them, outside of birthdays and christmas. While the younger ones are a bit too young to do money earning stuff, they know that they can earn their wishes by doing additional house work stuff ... helping cleaning and so on.

But they show a remarkable endurance in keeping it on-topic if they really want something ...

To be honest, Gamepass for me also wouldn't be an alternative, if DKCR is what i would want to play. ^^

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019

Here's a few more:
  • Family has several Xbox in home. Family normally spends days way from home visiting In-laws during the holiday. Instead of packing and bring 1 Xbox for the trip, Dad, son, mom can all bring their Switch and can continue to play their favorite games independently or together.
  • Son can now have his Xbox games away from his dorm in college.
  • Dad can now chill, playing his favorite Xbox game, in the same room with mom while she watches latest reality show garbage TLC births at 9pm on Thurdays..

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It really is a huge win for both companies. Nintendo sells more switches and by proxy more first party games. Microsoft gets their service on more platforms and can brag about the ability to play anywhere.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
If rumors are true the next version of switch will be handhold only and they are kind of pulling out of the console market which imo they should, gamepass on switch would really benefit Nintendo by giving them more content which would sell more switches and it makes the switch a companion device to the xbox.

The 2019 revision is rumoured to be a handheld revision, the 2020 revision is rumoured to be a Switch Pro.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure.
Xbox games pass/Xbox exclusives haven't been selling people on that console, not entirely sure they'd sell a kid on switch.

But I guess Nintendo would crunch the numbers themselves to see if it's worth it

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The reasoning you have with "With more games Nintendo will sell less" is like saying that thirds are bad.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
People buy Nintendo consoles specifically for Mario, Zelda, DK etc. This would not stop with gamepass beeing on there. They would keep selling those games for 60 bucks, getting a revenue pass fromg MS and the opportunity to stream games that would not run otherwise. On top of that there might be Xbox owners getting a switch for additional mobile play that get introduced to the Nintendo Universe.
I mean its all hypothetical but it sounds like a win-win.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
One sure I have about this deal. Nintendo will NOT put their games on Xbox. That's a sure.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's what I'm getting at by saying I'd love to know the details. With the way Nintendo software is selling on Switch, it's not crazy to say they are making more money by selling $60 games then they would by taking a percentage of a $10 a month subscription. Additionally, you are opening your platform up to a competitor to come in and potentially eat into your game sales/profits.

I would imagine this partnership, if real, goes deeper and Nintendo could possibly be looking to offload all online services (online play, friends, chat, etc...) to Xbox Live. There HAS to be more to it than "revenue share of GamePass" for Nintendo to be willing to open up their platform to a competitor.
I imagine the only games that will be allowed on the switches gamepass are only games that aren't available on the eshop

So in other words games they wouldn't have anyway so nothing is lost

As an example dark souls. Dark souls is on the eshop so it won't be on gamepass

Halo 5 would never be on the switch eshop so it's available on gamepass

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Because if players are busy playing Xbox Game Pass games, maybe they would be less likely to invest in the Nintendo ecosystem and purchase retail 60$ products from Nintendo.

Opportunity cost.

That doesn't stop the streaming money though.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because if players are busy playing Xbox Game Pass games, maybe they would be less likely to invest in the Nintendo ecosystem and purchase retail 60$ products from Nintendo since they are already busy/entertained by a competitors product. There is not an infinite amount of time in the day.

Opportunity cost.

I think Microsoft's counter to that point are the statistics they have on how Game Pass increases pre-orders and game purchases. They also have data that shows Game Pass subscribers playing more games in general.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming the rumor is valid, I wonder if this means anything in regards to Xbox peripherals compatibility with the Switch (or if the command promts will be rendered to match Nintendo's layout on the server side)

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Yea I'm gonna need some of those Nintendo games with 1x support. I can't get excite over MS' poor software to even worse hardware.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I think this is a good point, if I was that kid though I would still want DKTF

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So this would essentially be playing the games via stream, like with Resident Evil 7 in Japan? Not particularly useful for the portability aspect. Also, I have like no interest in the XBox exclusive library, so this would be a big meh for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Hellblade is going to be part of this. I think it's launching in the summer? Not sure if it's already part of gamespass or not, but it's a good candidate

Yea I'm gonna need some of those Nintendo games with 1x support. I can't get excite over MS' poor software to even worse hardware.
That's not what this is about.
Microsoft isn't getting any Nintendo game and the games wouldn't be ported to switch, but streamed (outside of maybe some of the smaller ones)

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
First party Xbox Games natively on switch aren't going to happen, at least not of Halo caliber using proprietary engines. Unreal Engine 4 can be scaled down.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
That's not what this is about.
Microsoft isn't getting any Nintendo game and the games wouldn't be ported to switch, but streamed (outside of maybe some of the smaller ones)
Yes, I know.

I'm just saying, I own these two consoles and this news is useless to me if its just MS/Xbox stuff down ported and streamed to Switch. If these companies are going to be boys I'd like to see some Nintendo games with high visual fidelity.

As the rumor stands its like MS is scratching Nintendo's back while Nintendo yawns and does nothing.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft trying to be balance between multiplatform and service focused while also still making hardware is interesting strategy.

They can make a lot of money supporting games on mutliple platforms. They will sell more games and more 3rd parties will use their tools.

And on the flip side they can justify making their own hardware more premium and powerful. You can play their games everywhere. But they will be best on Xbox hardware.

BOLD MOVES!

I look forward to hearing why Sony wants nothing to do with it. Not putting PSNow on literally everything and just making it a android app always baffled me.