• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo have a lot of IP that's multiplayer based like Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Splatoon.

Putting these games on Xbox where multiplayer is massive would see Nintendo make a killing.

Even more so if there is a cross platform tournament to see who is king

You know what else is making a killing for Nintendo? The Nintendo Switch.

If they wanted to go third party, it would've happened like 4 years ago when the Wii U was in the dumps and the 3DS was treading water.

Putting their games on XBox for now is a non-starter for Nintendo, their business model as is makes them plenty of money and Switch is going to easily destroy the install base of the XBox One. Probably part and parcel why MS is wanting to get so chummy ... they know the Switch is going to have a massive audience and they want their streaming service there.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Nate will probably be on the Spawncast tonight, I'll definitely be watching to see how that goes. He always has interesting insight on things.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
this is nuts. is microsoft even releasing a console next gen? if they do then what exactly is the killer app? they are porting their games to other consoles. i'll be honest i kinda like this because next gen i can buy 2 consoles and have access to all the games i would want to play.
they will be selling 2 next gen, base and pro versions.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
MS is going to need a shit ton more of those blade servers
Why? XBox One S levels of gfx are more than good enough for people looking to play a quick game on the move on their smartphone.
This isn't about replacing consoles, it's just about MS looking to get on the mobile gaming platform, without the need to make its own Handheld

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does this matter anymore Xbox has the potential to connect to the Nintendo Switch, PC, Android devices and mobile phones through XBL, GamePass & Xcloud!

Sony has the potential to connect to PC and PS devices. If you're a 3rd party developer who do you want to developer for first?

Developer will ALWAYS choose money and user-base over personal wants. The choice is clear where gamers will game on 3rd party games!

PS Sony and MS win by default because the PC will always be more powerful than any console over a period of time. Since, the Nintendo Switch game can be tied to XBL Nintendo wins too. If this reach stay's the same, then XBL devices will win by default because of pure reach.

Oh. My. Word.

Firstly, game pass isn't somewhere you publish your third party games - you put them in there later to get some incremental revenue and potentially build awareness for a published sequel, get some DLC purchases etc.

Third parties are still going to want to be everywhere that has a large enough addressable market to get a return on investment and is technically capable of being ported to.

Also Sony have had streaming for 5 years(?) already with ps now, to pc, vita, PS4, and Android (although only Xperia which is dumb they need to fix that). I would fully expect them to extend that to all android and iOS.

My biggest paradox is that everyone here mostly shits on PSNow for lag, or having a slow internet connection or data cap so they can't play it. Yet xCloud which doesn't even exist yet will apparently be the dawn of a new utopia in streaming

Deleted member 33412

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
MS is in a worse position than Sony. They have less to lose and more to gain by taking calculated risks like this. That said I feel MS's approach is leagues ahead of the competition and it will surely pay off in the future.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I think this makes perfect sense for MS. They want to turn Xbox into a service brand that generates a steady cashflow, and since Xbox never really caught on outside the US and the UK this will allow them to reach more potential costumers than they ever could on their own.

I don't think it's as great of a thing for Nintendo. They'll have to heavily curate the games coming to the service to not hurt sales of native Switch games (e.g. Bayonetta, third party games and Indies in particular). I assume this might be about Xbox exclusives only. I'm also wondering how the Switch's bad Wifi chip will work with this... I have my dock connected to ethernet but docked play is a lot less interesting for this service.

For consumers this is certainly exciting. I'm more excited about potential ports coming from a MS-Nintendo partnership, though. Ori looks gorgeous and I'd love to play it.
On one hand, this sounds amazing.

On the other, it would really be unlike Nintento to just allow a gigantic number of unvetted games hop on their system and give competition to their first party software. And it would be really unlike Micros... nah, MS is the right level of crazy to do this.
I don't agree that Nintendo would need to heavily curate the service. The more games on the platform, the better. Why would Nintendo worry about competition from other titles? We already know that Nintendo first party and Nintendo-published titles basically dominate Nintendo platforms anyway as that's what probably 97% of people buying it are getting it for. Nintendo allows shovelware on the platform, so for them to curate titles because they're good and may hurt sales of their own titles is absurd.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
What about third-parties in the subscription future? RDR2 made more than a billion dollars and sold 23M copies in 3-4 month. MS and Sony can't pay those bills and there's a real possibility that your less inclined to buy full priced games along with your Plus/Gold and GP/PSNow subscribtions when you already have hundreds of games to play and you know the game will be on those services in a few months. Please don't use arguments that GP boosts sales. We don't have any data this will happen if there's like 50-60 million active subscribers. GP has like 2-4 million subscribers with heavy promotions all the time. It's no coincidence Phil didn't say GP has 5 or 10 million subscribers but a very vague "millions". Again, with constant deals, trials, promotions.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
One has to wonder if Don Mattrick didn't mess up the XB1's launch so bad and tarnish the brand if Microsoft would still be doing this.
This was always Microsoft next logical step.
The edge MS always had compared to Sony and Nintendo was in the service department and a platform agnostic, cloud based streaming service is the end point (the platform isn't the hardware itself anymore but instead the web service).
The surprising part is Nintendo accepting to host Microsoft game streaming service in their closed garden which is why everybody is speculating of what could be the terms of the deal.
Nintendo doesn't care for additional content, they care if they can control and monetize from it.
Nintendo is also a company which don't have any ambition over cloud based service business (to own the infrastructure and manage the software part) so an alliance with Microsoft could be positive for them.
In short the reason why I think this rumor is credible is that Nintendo and Microsoft are very different company (different aims, different skill set) despite both owning a physical console platform and complement each other very well.
However to make a deal work it need to be in favour of Nintendo still controlling and monetizing from the content made available on Nintendo's closed garden.
Basically the short term deal need to be in favour of Nintendo, what Microsoft gains is the immediate availability of their web services on a rapidly growing hardware install base, console which was bought primarily for playing the kind of "serious" games which will be the backbone of the incoming cloud gaming war.

Last edited:

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I mean, I don't think the win is as big here for Nintendo unless they're taking a percentage of those subscription sales.

If so, nice little bit of extra revenue for them, but I'm still not sure who is buying a Switch that wants to play Xbox games. Guess we'll find out.

Other than that, sounds mostly like Xbox looking to expand offerings on another high selling platform. Long-term it could be very interesting whether this complete de-emphasis on hardware will work in the long run.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
One has to wonder if Don Mattrick didn't mess up the XB1's launch so bad and tarnish the brand if Microsoft would still be doing this.

Thank God for Mattrick then, because this is awesome.

That said with Nadella at the helm, MS has quickly become a company that expands their reach by maximizing their services - even if it means putting their software on competitors devices. This is yet another example.

What about third-parties in the subscription future? RDR2 made more than a billion dollars and sold 23M copies in 3-4 month. MS and Sony can't pay those bills and there's a real possibility that your less inclined to buy full priced games along with your Plus/Gold and GP/PSNow subscribtions when you already have hundreds of games to play and you know the game will be on those services in a few months. Please don't use arguments that GP boosts sales. We don't have any data this will happen if there's like 50-60 million active subscribers. GP has like 2-4 million subscribers with heavy promotions all the time. It's no coincidence Phil didn't say GP has 5 or 10 million subscribers but a very vague "millions". Again, with constant deals, trials, promotions.

I don't think there will be an all subscription future. It's simply another option for consumers and an additional revenue stream for providers.

I don't think there's a real possibility that gamepass adoption will notably impact people's desires to buy full priced games.

People still go see blockbuster movies at the theater, even though they have several video subscriptions at home. That catalog with hundreds of on-demand selections doesn't kill demand for the hottest new releases.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
People say that it was a logical step for Ms, but I'm not so sure.
They decided that they couldn't compete in the hardware race which lead to pushing PC as a new Xbox platform.
Few years later they decide they're capable of handling streaming and it's the best course of action for them

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Again. No one knows the official specs for next gen yet - that's a fact. If they do that's fine but nothing has been confirmed. Petty and sad? lol. Let's be real, you can't take big games that you supposedly stream "wherever you go".
The goal is to have it work with 10mb down and I've been luck enough to live in a major city where that's obtainable and has been for like 8 years now. Also just knowing through WiFi at my house or any friends house I can easily obtain the bandwidth needed. You just sound so bitter it's sad

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Would I need an Xbox to do this? Or usb just a switch + subscriptions to the aforementioned services good enough?

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The goal is to have it work with 10mb down and I've been luck enough to live in a major city where that's obtainable and has been for like 8 years now. Also just knowing through WiFi at my house or any friends house I can easily obtain the bandwidth needed. You just sound so bitter it's sad

What's with the little petty digs? You can debate without resorting to that but then again I'm not surprised coming from people like you. It's not "sad" to think you can't take high fidelity streaming "wherever you go" (which is what you said) but if it works at home then that's good.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Would I need an Xbox to do this? Or usb just a switch + subscriptions to the aforementioned services good enough?

It wouldn't make any sense if you would need an Xbox. If all of this is true, it would mean that you could subscribe to Gamepass and play their catalogue of games via streaming on the Nintendo Switch. It's unclear if you would need things like NSO or XBL Gold. But in theory:

Pay $10 (or whatever the xCloud Game Pass fee will be) and start Halo Infinite on your Switch and enjoy. No installing, no download. Just play.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What's with the little petty digs? You can debate without resorting to that but then again I'm not surprised coming from people like you. It's not "sad" to think you can't take high fidelity streaming "wherever you go" (which is what you said) but if it works at home then that's good.
It is sad because you obviously just hate the fact that any of this is going happen. I said I could take Halo anywhere and you made sure to say I couldn't due to internet like it's 2004. Why are you labeling it high fidelity streaming now lol

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't make any sense if you would need an Xbox. If all of this is true, it would mean that you could subscribe to Gamepass and play their catalogue of games via streaming on the Nintendo Switch. It's unclear if you would need things like NSO or XBL Gold. But in theory:

Pay $10 (or whatever the xCloud Game Pass fee will be) and start Halo Infinite on your Switch and enjoy. No installing, no download. Just play.
Now this is what I call next gen shit.

Huge if true.

Dec 31, 2017
I remember when we were kids we used to talk all the time about what if all the console makers just got together and made only 1 console where you can play all games, and this is just 1 step closer to that reality. I could see myself getting a switch again if it means I'll have a bigger screen and controllers to stream my games to when I'm away from home!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I remember when we were kids we used to talk all the time about what if all the console makers just got together and made only 1 console where you can play all games, and this is just 1 step closer to that reality. I could see myself getting a switch again if it means I'll have a bigger screen and controllers to stream my games to when I'm away from home!

Yes, the hardware where you plan on will be less important. But there will be exclusivity and maybe even more of it if Amazon and Google join the fray. That's the big danger of all of this; will we be paying 10 dollars for every service, so if you want to play games from every publisher, you'll be paying 60 dollars per month?

tombo85

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the hardware where you plan on will be less important. But there will be exclusivity and maybe even more of it if Amazon and Google join the fray. That's the big danger of all of this; will we be paying 10 dollars for every service, so if you want to play games from every publisher, you'll be paying 60 dollars per month?
All games from every publisher for the cost of one game. Sounds fair

Dec 31, 2017
I expect Amazon to have some included with my prime subscription and make me pay extra to unlock all games. Google is the one that really needs to do something big because honestly, Google movies and music services are the worst of the bunch when looking at all the big players so unless they pull a miracle i have a hard time seeing how they'll do something amazing with games, unless they start getting tons of exclusive content on their service.

Also, I wonder if Gamepass could actually include Switch games for Switch owners. Like some kind of split revenu sharing with Nintendo where they get streamable Xbox games as well as downloadable switch games.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is sad because you obviously just hate the fact that any of this is going happen. I said I could take Halo anywhere and you made sure to say I couldn't due to internet like it's 2004. Why are you labeling it high fidelity streaming now lol

What's sad is you not realising you can't take it "wherever you go" but ok lol.

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
You know what else is making a killing for Nintendo? The Nintendo Switch.

If they wanted to go third party, it would've happened like 4 years ago when the Wii U was in the dumps and the 3DS was treading water.

Putting their games on XBox for now is a non-starter for Nintendo, their business model as is makes them plenty of money and Switch is going to easily destroy the install base of the XBox One. Probably part and parcel why MS is wanting to get so chummy ... they know the Switch is going to have a massive audience and they want their streaming service there.

And the Switch will still make a killing for Nintendo even if they put thier exclusives on the Xbox ecosystem.

As I keep saying both parties can earn more money by using each other's consoles as they are not in competition

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
If this is all about streaming, then it's a no go for me! :|

Infrastructure isn't ready for this

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder that if/when streaming is the future, how will that work out for big publishers?
Activision's own service, EA's own service (think they're doing this already?), Sony's own service, Nintendo's, Ubisoft's, etc.

Amazon and Google want to throw their hat into the ring as well.
Just wonder how this will all play out, too many streaming services will be bad news, I think

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Well, having all your games via subscription may seem like a good idea in the near future, but also beware that you will never own games ever again and that you'll be bound to subscriptions for the entirety of your life, and more, you will never be able to play games without internet.
So yeah, I will subscribe, but I won't give up on having my own games.

Oct 25, 2017
And the Switch will still make a killing for Nintendo even if they put thier exclusives on the Xbox ecosystem.

As I keep saying both parties can earn more money by using each other's consoles as they are not in competition
Xbox hardware market is small so it's not really worth getting into.
If Nintendo loses Nintendo game exclusivity their hardware loses the grand majority of its selling power

Mington

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Dec 22, 2018
If Nintendo loses Nintendo game exclusivity their hardware loses the grand majority of its selling power

Xbox hardware market is anywhere between 50m to 80m based on how the 360 and X1 sold.

Nintendos exclusives would sell millions on that install base without harming sales of hardware

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It would be super interesting if a Switch "pro" was strong enough to do the new Xbox streaming technique (all game logic is local, assets are streamed though)

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude we get it if it was PSNow you would be singing it's praises.

When did I talk about PSNow? Not sure if you have trouble reading but I clearly said if they can get it working that's good but taking it "wherever you go" is obviously not true - it all depends on a good infrastructure and internet and in a lot of places in the world it's not very good.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure if I like this but should this come to fruition this will most certainly change the gaming landscape in a significant way.
What's not to like?

More AAA games on Switch - Great for Switch gamers

Portable Xbox games - Great for Xbox gamers

If this turns out to be true then it's one of the biggest positive changes the gaming industry has seen.
Getting all the Xbox exclusives to the PC was good enough for me - multi screen support, graphics settings and no more 30fps.
But this is something else!

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox hardware market is anywhere between 50m to 80m based on how the 360 and X1 sold.

Nintendos exclusives would sell millions on that install base without harming sales of hardware
The Xbox hardware market is anything but small.
It's small, relatively speaking.
It's not like the massive mobile market that Nintendo felt forced to try and tap into.
Sure, they'd sell more, but likely a lot fewer units on their own platform where they get the full cut. Doesn't seem worth losing their exclusivity which is a major factor in Nintendo hardware sales. You don't see Sony releasing games on PC, for instance.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
When did I talk about PSNow? Not sure if you have trouble reading but I clearly said if they can get it working that's good but taking it "wherever you go" is obviously not true - it all depends on a good infrastructure and internet and in a lot of places in the world it's not very good.

Are we allowed to be excited about this if we live in an advanced city in a first world country?

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
As long as Nintendo is making hardware the idea of them allowing their games anywhere else is some seriously wishful thinking imo

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

The Xbox hardware market is anything but small.

It's small this gen, Switch will likely surpass its LTD in a few months.

But that's a generation to generation thing and they're down this gen.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's small this gen, Switch will likely surpass its LTD in a few months.

But that's a generation to generation thing and they're down this gen.
Yes they are down. It's still not what I'd call small. But to his point, Nintendo selling their exclusives on other hardware makes little sense. It's THE reason people buy Nintendo hardware.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
People say that it was a logical step for Ms, but I'm not so sure.
They decided that they couldn't compete in the hardware race which lead to pushing PC as a new Xbox platform.
Few years later they decide they're capable of handling streaming and it's the best course of action for them

You think they recently decided to push into streaming?

We were hearing about demos of Halo 4 being streamed to cellphones and PCs over 5 years ago.Even before the Xbox one launched

They were never in a "hardware race" they were always in a software and services race. In gaming, You used to have to sell hardware in order to make money on software and services. It was a means to and end, but that reality is changing.

MS' original goal was to make Windows the center of the living room. Now that mobile devices and streaming are encroaching on living room time and the need for dedicated hardware , and extending Entertainment beyond the home , this is quite obviously a logical step for MS.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
You think they recently decided to push into streaming?

We were being about demos of Halo 4 being streamed to cellphones long before they started pushing into PC gaming.

They were never in a "hardware race" they were always in a software and services race. There original goal was to make Windows the center of the living room. Now that mobile devices are encroaching on living room time, and extending it outside of the home, this is quite obviously a logical step for MS.

Putting their exclusives on PC and pushing Xbox as a platform independent of a branded hardware is new and suggest a shift in focus away from their own hardware. Streaming was probably developing independently for sometime, I mean Sony is working on it too.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we need a "what if Nintendo puts their games on Xbox?" thread so we don't bring it up in all other threads and confuse people that it might be something that's happening.

If people think that's a good idea I could make it even if I don't believe it personally.