• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
will they finally announce BL3 at E3 then? I would totally day 1 that right about now, I absolutely loved Pre-Sequel (thats right, I said, I said it, what? what? Ill fight you!)

Hell I'm playing Borderlands 2 almost daily in 2018. Didn't even bother TPS though even though it was part of the Handsome Collection.

So does this mean Borderlands 3 will be at E3?

Let's hope so. I need it.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Could have guessed all of those, they seem like pretty obvious choices. Maybe not all of them together, clearly they are spending more than usual if this is true.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
3rd party marketing contracts have always been strange to me. Why in the hell would I want to market a 3rd party game? The only games I want to market are my exclusives; my company games. Let them market their own stuff. Guess that's why I am wasn't a marketing major or business major.
Showcasing a game on Xbox One X could cause people to buy an Xbox One X.

Not only that, but you have the advantage of the clueless gamer who might think this game is exclusive to Xbox. That's why Marketing deals exist. Same deal for Sony.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm legit surprised by the number of people here who don't know what marketing deals are?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Those all seem legit, I would have expected MS to get all of them.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well, they certainly know their market.

Nothing says Middle class white american male between 18-35 better than this list.

Yep. People who play video games are their market. Not sure what your point is.

Are you saying Sony and Nintendo don't market games to that demographic?

It sucks that apparently in one year I'm going to be too old for Cyberpunk 2077 to be appealing to me.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
If the games aren't going to be exclusive to xbox then why even do this?

its marketing. in commercials and at e3, these games appear with an xbox association. when advertised, it has an xbox logo. maybe it helps boost sales of the console, or copies of the game on that console.

maybe there will be some exclusive stuff, hopefully (for everyones sake) limited to cosmetics at worst, but this is for advertising.

microsoft has been hit hard by the "no games" message i think. this could be an effort to turn that around, but hopefully its just a combined effort along with a better 1st party showing and not timed exclusivity.

tl;dr, there are people who think destiny is exclusive to playstation and not available on xbox. theres a reason for that

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Those all seem legit, I would have expected MS to get all of them.

Pretty much. The lion's share of them are "second string" AAA titles and then Cyberpunk, which isn't surprising considering CDPR and MS already have a pretty positive working relationship and Witcher 3 had XBOX branding all over its ads too.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly annoying because that means all the promo material is going to look incredible running on an Xbox One X and we won't get a true sense of what the games look like until later.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
All of these sound 100% plausible and very likely. There's already precedent for Battlefield, Madden and Splinter Cell + Anthem was revealed on their stage last year.

Very solid pick ups.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Lets hope its nothing like the bullshit of Destiny which is the worst anti consumer marketing rights ever. At least Destiny 2 is garbage and I don't give a shit anymore.

Nov 1, 2017
They were bound to reverse course. Not only did nothing pan out for them post 2013 with their focus on first party IP, but they essentially just gave Sony Call of Duty, and other franchises on a silver platter. When Bungie becames more known with PS4 you know you dun goofed. No real major first party games, loss of third party support and things like Cod World League using playstations. Things like Destiny, Call of Duty, Battelfront and so many more were Sony marketed.

I hate timed exclusivity, so I hope Sony peeps get the same content day one even though I would read posts about how it just feels right for Spyro to get one year exclusivity. In the end we're all gamers. Xbox owners had to wait a year to get certain strikes in content starved vanilla Destiny etc. Cyberpunk is a big one though after the success of Witcher 3, especially with Xbox One X going to be the best looking console version. Hopefully this means cheaper Xbox One X bundles and deals and possibly new designs.

Next gen version already confirmed in developement. So ps5 will be best looking version. :)

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it's just marketing, I couldn't care less. If it's an anti-consumer agreement similar to what Sony has with Destiny, I will care very much.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Because it creates a association with your product and exclusive content and such.

You'd be surprised. Some if they see Xbox or Playstation on the commercial will assume it's only on that console. Other than that it keeps your brand out there and associated with popular titles.

Not only that, but you have the advantage of the clueless gamer who might think this game is exclusive to Xbox. That's why Marketing deals exist. Same deal for Sony.

All of these statements have the same underlying message. I honestly forget that not all gamers are hardcore like here.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that EA is going with Microsoft for Anthem, given how much they have riding on that game for Bioware and how badly the Titanfall franchise did with being seen as an Xbox game. But then EA has always oddly preferred Microsoft for marketing partnerships outside of FIFA.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Hope MS shows off actual first party games as well though and not just revert back to focusing on 3rd party only

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

Except that we're so far in to the generation it's not really that big of a deal. Unless they were actual exclusives, clueless gamer walks in to a BB or Gamestop or looks it up on Amazon and sees a version of the game for their system, they'll buy it.

I'd love to see some actual analytics as to whether things like this actually pay off, especially this late in a generation.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, most of these are things people could've guessed based off of past games. Not to surprising.

Heart_Attack

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Marketing is meaningless when I can buy them For PS4/PC as well. Still waiting for Spencer to spend some money in new IPs and great exclusives. Happy to hear a new Splinter Cell is happening, since not many played Blacklist which was amazing.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing unexpected in that list tbh, and all rather predictable, as it's all from "friendly" publishers to MS, between EA, 2K/ Gearbox, CDPR, and the usual "split my franchises equally" Ubisoft (could possibly mean the next Ass Creed will go with Sony for marketing).

The big missing ones are Activision (obviously CoD and Destiny are Sony), Rockstar (we already know Read Dead is Sony), and particularly Bethesda.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anthem was already confirmed and Battlefield 5 was expected looking at BF1. Curious which conference Avengers & Rocksteady show up at at E3. Avengers at MS & Rocksteady Sony most likely.

I'm guessing Sony's stable of recent, current and upcoming first party games is becoming the bigger focus for their marketing and they aren't going after these third party deals as hard.
Sony's partnerships are with Destiny 2, FIFA 19, Call of Duty Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2. They probably don't think they need any others lined up this year.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
The only one I am bothered about is CD Project, since I would like to see PS4 footage as well before release. Otherwise, it doesn't mean anything to me given these are multiplatform anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.