• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
MS has a lot of money. Securing marketing deals will have no impact on whether or not they invest in studios/IP of their own.

MS does. Xbox doesn't. There's a reason they've had rekatuvekyfewer marketing deals the past few years. This marks a clear escalation so more $$$. Given the quantity I'd say it's a LOT more $$$

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I REALLY hope they have something to show besides marketing deals for games that will also be on PS4 day and date with XBO.
Their conference is over 1 hour and a half long, you can't stretch out 8 games to almost 2 hours lmao. They usually do 6 minute gameplay demos for marketing deals. They're supposed to announce their Fall 2018-Summer 2019 lineup during it, so I'm sure they have something.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
MS had the marketing rights to BF1 and we didn't get an X patch. MS should have been annoyed at EA.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This is huge if true. I just can't see Sony giving up marketing rights to all of these titles. These are easily the most anticipated 3rd party games coming in the near future. The marketing deal with the original Destiny had the casual audience thinking the game was exclusive to PS4.

Not to mention that marketing rights often lead to timed exclusivity on DLC. I don't think this will do any long term harm to Sony's lead but still.

There's only so many games you can have these kinds of partnerships with. If Sony has an ongoing deal for Destiny it makes sense they would not be in on Anthem. Same with Battlefield and CoD. They also have FIFA. And seemingly RDR. Marketing time and resources are not infinite.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Splinter Cell better have Ironside back. I wouldn't be surprised if Rocksteady and NRS have tease reveals a week or two before E3 with full reveals at the conferences/

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
MS does. Xbox doesn't. There's a reason they've had rekatuvekyfewer marketing deals the past few years. This marks a clear escalation so more $$$. Given the quantity I'd say it's a LOT more $$$

I still don't understand why people see this as an escalation. MS has had multiple Big co-marketing deals this generation. This is nothing new.

Also again, this is marketing money. They don't use that to make games. They use that to pay and maintain their marketing department.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised Splinter Cell of all things would have exclusive marketing rights. I mean unless Splinter Cell is....god forbid, becoming an open world multiplayer game...I don't see why a singler player game if it's like Blacklist will be that way.
I guarantee you it's either open world or multiplayer focused.
Ghost Recon: Wildlands was the 7th best-selling game in the US (per NPD), the 10th best-selling game in North/Central/South America as well the 7th best-selling game in Europe/Middle East/Africa (per Ubisoft) in 2017.

And now Far Cry 5 is the second-biggest launch yet for an Ubisoft game, behind The Division.

If you're writing the checks, what do you think?

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is huge if true. I just can't see Sony giving up marketing rights to all of these titles. These are easily the most anticipated 3rd party games coming in the near future. The marketing deal with the original Destiny had the casual audience thinking the game was exclusive to PS4.

Not to mention that marketing rights often lead to timed exclusivity on DLC. I don't think this will do any long term harm to Sony's lead but still.

I mean, Sony will have the marketing rights for the 2 biggest third party games of the year (RDR2 and BO4)... I think they are fine.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
The real news here is SPLINTER CELL
This would be news if it wasn't leaked multiple times over the past month.

By GameStop, again by Ubisoft putting up an amazon listing for "Splinter Cell 2018" and most recently, by the voice actor for the character saying he's happy to be able to voice the character again on Instagram.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I was super bummed about the Witcher 3 CE not being the same on all platforms. The XBO version got Gwent Cards and a physical map while PC and PS4 got neither.

Shame, would've loved to see CDPR be a neutral party here.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Sony will have Red Dead Redemption 2, Black Ops 4, Kingdom Hearts 3 probably, Dragon Quest XI.

Oct 27, 2017
These all make sense honestly. Heck, I'd have guessed each one except Borderlands 3 simply based on recent partnerships.

Oct 25, 2017
Anthem won't be a big game so it's not a big deal.

I am surprised Splinter Cell of all things would have exclusive marketing rights. I mean unless Splinter Cell is....god forbid, becoming an open world multiplayer game...I don't see why a singler player game if it's like Blacklist will be that way.

Maybe im really out of the loop but i feel like Anthem is the biggest game of all the ones listed.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn son, some of those are going to be huge! Good gets. Maybe it's a little easier for them now they have the Xbox One, eg can actually show off the best versions of multiplatform games?

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Red Dead Redemption II.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Sony will have Red Dead Redemption 2, Black Ops 4, Kingdom Hearts 3 probably, Dragon Quest XI.
I don't think KH3 has a marketing deal. FFXV showed up at BOTH Microsoft AND Sony's conferences at E3 2016 because they wanted the game to get as much exposure as possible.

Microsoft got a 6 minute long gameplay demo at their conference of a boss battle and Sony got a 3 minute long trailer at their conference.

I think they'll either do the same or have their own conference.

KH3 has also only showed up at Sony like once and that was in 2013 for the reveal. The other times it was at Square Enix's own events.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want Splinter Cell, I don't care if Ouya has marketing rights for it.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
This is all well and good but I'd be very surprised if Ubisoft were making a Splinter Cell atm that was far enough along to have marketing and a reveal.

Can't say I'm overly bothered about that Amazon listing either, I feel like a lot of people are setting themselves up for a massive disappointment

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see so much cheerleading of marketing deals itt considering how much hostility you usually see about such things when the subject comes up.

Oh well, seems like it's going to be another third party focused E3 for MS then. Doesn't bode well for hope of a renewed first party push (which they sorely need).

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Sony didn't have the rights to those titles anyways to give them, they already have too many secured.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
If this the case then it's a good get for Microsoft. The Xbox needs the focused attention on it. It's still not exclusives but if they advertise these right it might seem that way to a lot of people.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Marketing is meaningless when I can buy them For PS4/PC as well. Still waiting for Spencer to spend some money in new IPs and great exclusives. Happy to hear a new Splinter Cell is happening, since not many played Blacklist which was amazing.
Sony getting marketing and early content for COD and FIFA has done wonders for them.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt the money for those things comes from the same place. This is likely part of their marketing budget.

This is the marketing budget...

I hope y'all are right. I wanna see a substantial increase in first party development from them.

I still don't understand why people see this as an escalation. MS has had multiple Big co-marketing deals this generation. This is nothing new.

Also again, this is marketing money. They don't use that to make games. They use that to pay and maintain their marketing department.

It's an escalation because of the sheer number of marketing deals and dollars it represents. Personally it's disapointing because I was hoping to see them heavily prioritize first party investment which th what ever extra funding they had this year. Thus seems to imply that a large chunk of whatever extra funding they acquired was devoted to marketing deals instead of first party development. At least that's what I fear looking at that massive list anyway

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is list is pretty much accurate. But not 100%. As far as I'm aware.

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
This is all well and good but I'd be very surprised if Ubisoft were making a Splinter Cell atm that was far enough along to have marketing and a reveal.

Can't say I'm overly bothered about that Amazon listing either, I feel like a lot of people are setting themselves up for a massive disappointment
It's been leaked three times in the past month.

1. GameStop first leaked it.

2. Then Ubisoft themselves posted a listing on Amazon for "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 2018"

3. Most recently, the actor for previous Splinter Cell games made a post on Instagram saying he was happy to be able to voice Sam Fisher again and basically confirmed he was recording lines.

splinter-cell-dublador.jpg

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think KH3 has a marketing deal. FFXV showed up at BOTH Microsoft AND Sony's conferences at E3 2016 because they wanted the game to get as much exposure as possible.

Microsoft got a 6 minute long gameplay demo at their conference of a boss battle and Sony got a 3 minute long trailer at their conference.

I think they'll either do the same or have their own conference.

KH3 has also only showed up at Sony like once and that was in 2013 for the reveal. The other times it was at Square Enix's own events.
Yeah that's possible too. I'm just basing it off of them not bothering to port 2.8 or 1.5 + 2.5 to Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.