• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
MOD EDIT:
Let's drop the console wars rhetoric and the pointing of fingers. Thanks.

Sources close to Microsoft told Rectify Gaming that Microsoft has marketing rights to the following games:
  • Borderlands 3
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • Metro Exodus
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Splinter Cell
  • Battlefield V
  • Madden
  • Anthem
  • Elder Scrolls 6

They have a previous track record apparently with leaking the Xbox One X name while it was still called Scorpio.

The article supposedly has more information but Rectify says that they are encountering server issues so the site is offline right now.

EDIT: Marketing rights basically means the games will have Xbox advertising on them and will likely be shown on their E3 stage running on Xbox One X.

MOD EDIT 2:

People have been attempting to solicit a responce from him regarding the leak. See here, here and here for example.

That's not to say all of the information is wrong. Many forum members seem sure that Cyberpunk 2077 and Battlefield will make an appearance during Microsoft's show.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
will they finally announce BL3 at E3 then? I would totally day 1 that right about now, I absolutely loved Pre-Sequel (thats right, I said, I said it, what? what? Ill fight you!)

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did I miss the official confirmation of a new Splinter Cell? Not surprised about the Cyberpunk since CD Projekt have always been cosey with Microsoft.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What does "marketing rights" mean in this context??

Like the logo on ads or intro videos, etc?

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see how
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Splinter Cell
  • Madden
  • Anthem
Weren't shoe-ins anyway

ps3ud0 8)

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful.

This means we'll see proper Xbone X footage. I hate the Sony deals that only show Pro footage of multiplats since they aren't running on the most powerful console hardware.

diablos991 8)

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
3rd party marketing contracts have always been strange to me. Why in the hell would I want to market a 3rd party game? The only games I want to market are my exclusives; my company games. Let them market their own stuff. Guess that's why I am wasn't a marketing major or business major.

真棒!

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I imagine if they got the marketing rights for it now, surely that means Cyberpunk isn't that far off?

OP
OP
Rychu

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
What does MS get out of this? They pay to advertise the game and it then probably goes on to sell more on the other system.
I can't think of many (if any) games Sony did this for last gen.
Seems like only a good idea if you're the company in the lead or at the start of a gen when it's a neck and neck race.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Sony's stable of recent, current and upcoming first party games is becoming the bigger focus for their marketing and they aren't going after these third party deals as hard.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
They were bound to reverse course. Not only did nothing pan out for them post 2013 with their focus on first party IP, but they essentially just gave Sony Call of Duty, and other franchises on a silver platter. When Bungie becames more known with PS4 you know you dun goofed. No real major first party games, loss of third party support and things like Cod World League using playstations. Things like Destiny, Call of Duty, Battelfront and so many more were Sony marketed.

I hate timed exclusivity, so I hope Sony peeps get the same content day one even though I would read posts about how it just feels right for Spyro to get one year exclusivity. In the end we're all gamers. Xbox owners had to wait a year to get certain strikes in content starved vanilla Destiny etc. Cyberpunk is a big one though after the success of Witcher 3, especially with Xbox One X going to be the best looking console version. Hopefully this means cheaper Xbox One X bundles and deals and possibly new designs.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Some of those were definitely expected, but good gets anyway, especially if they carry on to next gen's installments of these franchises.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
All of these seem fairly likely, especially if Sony is retaining marketing rights to Star Wars stuff, Call of Duty and Destiny for the foreseeable future. Even if it's not true, it's pretty much the most obvious conclusion to draw given the state of the industry at the moment.

Also, OP, please put Rumor in your thread title if you're posting about a rumor with no evidence beyond some random site.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
3rd party marketing contracts have always been strange to me. Why in the hell would I want to market a 3rd party game? The only games I want to market are my exclusives; my company games. Let them market their own stuff. Guess that's why I am wasn't a marketing major or business major.

Because it creates a association with your product and exclusive content and such.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You'd be surprised. Some if they see Xbox or Playstation on the commercial will assume it's only on that console. Other than that it keeps your brand out there and associated with popular titles.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, they certainly know their market.

Nothing says Middle class white american male between 18-35 better than this list.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the games aren't going to be exclusive to xbox then why even do this?

Because it still helps sell copies on their systems (and thus systems themselves). Hell with the right marketing many more casual fans end up thinking X game is only on Y platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.