• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
If they do some kind of combined plan that is cheaper than getting them individually now then I am in. I still haven't jumped on Gamepass as I don't play my X1X much but I still pay for Gold so I would for sure go for it.

OP
OP
zedox

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure Microsoft has a choice. The games on GP are spread between different stores/launchers on pc. Also, a subscription with games focused on pc gaming has a lot more chance to succeed.
Uhm...what? MS does have a choice...why have a sub that's specific to PC games instead of just adding said PC games to XGP? I mean, I understand monetarily...

AGoodJoe

Feb 19, 2019
$180/yr. I feel like any given month (or two) I can find 12-month Gold for $45 and 12-month GamePass for $60. Am I missing something here?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused isn't Gold already $5/month when you buy annually and Game pass is $10/month?

Where is the savings?
12 months of Game Pass: $9.99 X 12 = $119.88
12 months of Gold = $59.99

Total = $179.87

$14.99 X 12 months = $179.88

Not only is there no savings, you spend an extra cent lol

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if Sony was going that route, id be very interested. Good news for Xbox Owner. 15$ a month for tons of games you can play, online service, really will make it the Netflix of gaming.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't pay more than £30 a year for Gold and I have Game Pass subbed for the next two years+.

This doesn't sound that enticing for people like me....

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017

Total = $179.87

Well, maybe a special price for annual year could be announce. If it can go at 10$/ month for 1 year sub, it can be very good,

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Total = $179.87

Gold monthly is $10. This lets me pay monthly and get almost the same deal as buying it in year-long increments.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
My monthly reminder that if you use Xbox Rewards you can easily get both for free provided you take advantage of all the available points you can get.

Your daily searches and quizzes get you 300 points a day (Takes 3 minutes of effort a day). Just doing that gives you 109,500 points per year. This isn't even counting the other points you can gain through the xbox app, special promotions, and when you buy games from the MS store.

1 year of Live is 29,000 points. 3 months of games pass is 17,800 points. Just doing the minimum with the program makes it so you never have to pay a cent for Xbox Live and Games Pass.

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Just keep in mind you can always get 1yr of Live for $40 and 1yr of GamePass for $60 if you wait for sales during the year. Don't be so quick to think this is a good deal, as it's not. It's merely combined for convenience.

TL;DR: You can get 1-year of Live and GamePass combined for $100 if you're patient.

Oct 27, 2017
Just keep in mind you can always get 1yr of Live for $40 and 1yr of GamePass for $60 if you wait for sales during the year. Don't be so quick to think this is a good deal, as it's not. It's merely combined for convenience.

TL;DR: You can get 1-year of Live and GamePass combined for $100 if you're patient.
This isn't for deal seekers or people that follow cheapassgamer on twitter

Zombie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what Brad sams is saying...seems that there is one for PC. I was hoping they wouldn't make a Game Pass specific to PC. Grrrr.

I wouldn't necessarily consider a PC specific game pass a bad thing right now, there's a strong chance it could be a cheaper tier since they have to know the value proposition is much worse for PC due to a lack of third party software included in game pass. It also makes no sense for them to be removing the xbox + PC/default game pass option given their ongoing commitment to play anywhere.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
This $14.99 pricing is clearly aimed at those who want to sub on a monthly basis - like, sub during a major first-party release month ( like Halo or Gears ) to play multiplayer - then maybe drop it off for the next 3-4 months, until the next major release.

Because on a monthly basis - XBL Gold is not $5, it's $10.

VcI03m5.png

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Gamepass is pretty cheap all things considered for the value it gives. Expecting it to have the additional value of Gold ( which has discounts and GwG ) is a stretch at this point of time.

2 completely different services, why would 1 be free because you subscribed to the other?

Probably just talking about the online MP piece. You don't need PS+ to play PS Now games online, including the PS4 games that you can now download.

Oct 25, 2017
Gold isn't $5/month... if you buy it monthly.

The savings is that you get yearly price for Gold instead of monthly price for Gold.

I guess I don't really think of people paying monthly for Gold / PS+ unless they are paying for a one off month or two because the price is so reduced when buying annually and can often be found on sale. Surely no one is auto renewing a monthly sub and paying 2x what they should every year for Gold? Just seems like a way to lock people into a monthly subscription rather than any kind of real savings.

OP
OP
zedox

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily consider a PC specific game pass a bad thing right now, there's a strong chance it could be a cheaper tier since they have to know the value proposition is much worse for PC due to a lack of third party software included in game pass. It also makes no sense for them to be removing the xbox + PC/default game pass option given their ongoing commitment to play anywhere.
Yes, I understand that they may have a cheaper tier for PC...but it makes no sense to call something "Ultimate" and it NOT include PC.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised it tooked this long for implementing the bundle sub. As a PC user, good to know I just have to stick the Game Pass alone. But still remains the question, if they do offer and aim this to PC players as well, what else is in for them since you don't pay for online play?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017

Not everyone wants to pay an upfront cost. There's plenty of people who only subscribe 1-3 months at a time

OP
OP
zedox

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
It's Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, not Microsoft Game Pass Ultimate.
I understand that...but remember Xbox is MS' gaming brand across devices...not a console. There's a reason they moved from Microsoft Game Studios to Xbox Game Studios. My expectation is what they put out there (and other stuff that they are trying to accomplish)

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
It's what I've been saying would likely happen instead of outright eliminating Xbox Live Gold as some people had suggested.
I didn't think that Microsoft would get rid of Gold, but I was hoping that they would.

I need Gold because I play online a lot, but having Game Pass offer such great games makes Gold look like bad value in comparison. Gold needs to improve in value IMO. Game Pass costs double, but the games are so much better.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This $14.99 pricing is clearly aimed at those who want to sub on a monthly basis - like, sub during a major first-party release month ( like Halo or Gears ) to play multiplayer - then maybe drop it off for the next 3-4 months, until the next major release.

Because on a monthly basis - XBL Gold is not $5, it's $10.

VcI03m5.png
Oh, that explains it

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
So you save... absolutely nothing? I get that it's probably more convenient for people who are going to pay for game pass on an ongoing basis, but that doesn't seem like enough to sub to it.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Gold monthly is $10. This lets me pay monthly and get almost the same deal as buying it in year-long increments.
12 months of gold purchased monthly is $120 a year.
I forgot that 1 month separate was $10. Pretty insane.

Alright then the savings after 12 months are $59.88 or 25% off. That's a better deal for getting people subbed every month rather than a lump sum at the beginning.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Uhm...what? MS does have a choice...why have a sub that's specific to PC games instead of just adding said PC games to XGP? I mean, I understand monetarily...

Adding pc-only games to GP isn't the issue. Giving pc gamers access to the games that are currently on GP is. Most of these games aren't in MS Store on pc (and future games won't be able to be there either thanks to Epic's exclusivity deals).

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How about buying them separately when they have actual deals on and save you know.. actual money?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think that Microsoft would get rid of Gold, but I was hoping that they would.

I need Gold because I play online a lot, but having Game Pass offer such great games makes Gold look like bad value in comparison. Gold needs to improve in value IMO. Game Pass costs double, but the games are so much better.
You get 4 games a month with Games with Gold. I use Gold simply for that due to the value.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they do a deal on a yearly rate I'll jump in, otherwise this is still vastly more than I pay for both.