• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Miller, a Crystal Dynamics insider who accurately gave information in the past about the studio and Avengers, shared this in the Avengers thread and thought it was worth its own thread.

Tomb Raider is full steam ahead, Perfect Dark I've heard has hit a roadbump or two. You'll see the former before the latter.

I would indeed expect at least a year between them.

Tom Raider also been in developement longer than most people expected.

Tomb Raider has actually been in development for a lot longer than people know, though it did restart when they shifted from Foundation to UE5. It's been in the cards for a while now.

Last edited:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit

Kinda tired of tomb raider, hopefully this is at least some fresh air or something

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft projects cant catch a break. Clearly something is going on there if you ask for help and the game that is properly announced is going to be out after an unannounced big triple AAA game

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
Perfect Dark fans

hi9magR.jpeg

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, so this game will come out at least 5 years after its announcement by the sound of it.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Man. What is going on at XGS. How can one company mismanage so many of their franchises? Halo, Fable, PD, etc.

I know Gears isn't as popular or well received as it used to be but I'm hoping it's still relevant this gen. It's probably my favorite MS franchise at this point.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Man. What is going on at XGS. How can one company mismanage so many of their franchises? Halo, Fable, PD, etc.

I know Gears isn't as popular or well received as it used to be but I'm hoping it's still relevant this gen. It's probably my favorite MS franchise at this point.

In my opinion it's BioWare situation, MS simply gave too much freedom to their studios and those studios hired bad management. MS should get more involved and tighten things a bit.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
This isn't new news. Not really sure the point of the thread.
We're people expecting perfect dark this year or something?

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion it's BioWare situation, MS simply gave too much freedom to their studios and those studios hired bad management. MS should get more involved and tighten things a bit.
This is the impression I get. Feels like Microsoft bought all these studios and gave them a long ass leash to make whatever they want to entice them to stay. And then these studios, all giddy-like, started their most ambitious projects ever. That along with Covid probably ruined things.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
Microsoft really has no idea how to manage their games. All these titles like Fable, Perfect Dark, etc announced like 6-7 years too soon

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

5 years for a new AAA game isn't unheard of and certainly not something specific to Xbox.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Angie Miller also said tomb raider has been worked on longer than most think iirc

On topic : I'm happy to be patient - let them cook and see what happens, find zen and stop trying to put all these unhealthy expectations on things that clearly are in early dev

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
They said at least one year between them, Tomb Raider is expected 2024-ish.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see where he said Tomb Raider was gonna release in 2024. Seems like he kinda dodged that part of the question directed at him and just said TR and Perfect Dark will release at least a year apart. I honestly don't expect Tomb Raider to release next year.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Microsoft really has no idea how to manage their games. All these titles like Fable, Perfect Dark, etc announced like 6-7 years too soon
And yet they still have a killer lineup for 2023. It's completely normal for games to hit bumps along the way, this isn't something that's unique to Xbox. In the past Xbox just didn't have enough teams and projects in the works so the bumps in the road were felt harder. Now they probably have more projects in the works than anyone else, so we should be getting consistent releases going forward.

Nov 8, 2017
5 years for a new AAA game isn't unheard of and certainly not something specific to Xbox.

2025 would make at least 7 years, given The Initiative was founded from the get go to make PD and its existence was revealed in mid-2018 (probably founded with the core couple of people earlier that year). 2020 was just when the game was announced and 2021 was when CD was announced as a co-development partner.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see where he said Tomb Raider was gonna release in 2024. Seems like he kinda dodged that part of the question directed at him and just said TR and Perfect Dark will release at least a year apart. I honestly don't expect Tomb Raider to release next year.

I have no idea to be honest, they're supposed to be showing it off in some capacity or giving details this year.

2025 would make at least 7 years, given The Initiative was founded from the get go to make PD and its existence was revealed in mid-2018 (probably founded with the core couple of people earlier that year). 2020 was just when the game was announced and 2021 was when CD was announced as a co-development partner.

They were a brand new studio with very little staff in 2018 though.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Wasn't expecting Perfect Dark until late 2024, at the earliest. If Tomb Raider started earlier and has transitioned to UE5 without issue, I wouldn't be surprised by this.

Nov 8, 2017
They were a brand new studio with very little staff in 2018 though.

I'm not really saying whether or not it is reasonable vs unreasonable as an overall amount of time, but it's definitely not correct to count from the announcement at TGA 2020 or something like that.

It's tough to think of true 1:1 analogues, because 2018 is a different world than even 2015 when KojiPro broke away, and another universe compared to 2010 when Respawn was formed. But we do at least know that things are not going as smoothly as they'd like them to, given the reporting surrounding staff departures and friction between the TI vs CD staff.

Jun 15, 2020

And what, pray tell, do you think is the problem with Fable?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really saying whether or not it is reasonable vs unreasonable as an overall amount of time, but it's definitely not correct to count from the announcement at TGA 2020 or something like that.

It's tough to think of true 1:1 analogues, because 2018 is a different world than even 2015 when KojiPro broke away, and another universe compared to 2010 when Respawn was formed. But we do at least know that things are not going as smoothly as they'd like them to, given the reporting surrounding staff departures and friction between the TI vs CD staff.

Fair points, I agree with what you're saying.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I think it's kinda weird to open threads based on Resetera posts from other users. If they wanted it to be a thread, they could have opened it themselves, you know? Sometimes you don't want the big attention.

Jun 15, 2020
Tbh, I think it's kinda weird to open threads based on Resetera posts from other users. If they wanted it to be a thread, they could have opened it themselves, you know? Sometimes you don't want the big attention.
Because people just want excuses to post silly fanboy things like this:

I remember reading something like this back in 2021.
I heard about the biggest lineup ever in 2015 too and my Xbox collected dust ever since.