Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
1K3bYNZ.png

Credit: https://www.reddit.com/r/ModernWarf.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I could totally see them wanting to go back to Steam after Vanguard's poor sales. Possibly want to make a huge splash and going back to Steam could be one way to do that.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I think their preparing for MS to take over. Pretty sure Battle.net will be closed or reworked into a new Xbox app or something.

Them leaving Steam was always dumb in the first place

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Good decision if true. Personally, I hate going through different launchers to play one game

Not a big problem but I don't like it. Love to open Steam and find everything there

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
While possible, a comment in that reddit page makes some good points:

- The image, when clicked on, leads to a "curator page" link that redirects to the Steam storefront. This is usually because the page is either private, or doesn't exist, or is region-locked. Technically, this should be using a link to a "franchise page" instead, because Steam curators are people/groups who make game reviews/recommendations. This might just be a test for a proper franchise page for COD on Steam, and the intern grabbed a MWII pic out of pure convenience.

- Setting some expectations here as well: should MWII come to Steam, it will most likely be similar to how EA/Ubisoft puts their games on Steam: you still have to use the main client to play the game. This is important to note, because based on the leaked preorder information, MWII does contain bonus items for MW and Warzone, so unless those games are being ported to Steam as well, it's unlikely that they'll ditch Bnet completely.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
It would be nice if they returned even if they still use the BNet backend. I mostly want the MW2 remaster though lol. Already have MW19 and Cold War on BNet.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
No one brought COD on Steam, im not sure why people are begging for it back. COD was getting outsold by random JRPG's on Steam.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I expect Bnet games to make their way to Steam at some point regardless of whether the acquisition goes through (which isn't to suggest I'm leaning towards it failing), but this is definitely something that may just be an honest mistake.

This was way before Warzone, though.

I'd also add that the games sold relatively well (CoD has never been the absolute juggernaut on PC that it is on consoles) and had fairly strong concurrent player numbers at launch. Player retention was the problem: people would get their fix and then return to their evergreen title of choice. It simply didn't make sense to invest in CoD multiplayer when there'd be a clean slate just a year down the road (something Warzone finally changed, as you said).

Last edited:

Chunchun

Jun 9, 2019
I was trying to buy CoD on consoles after it went to Battle.Net. If it comes back to Steam, i'm happy to return to PC.

Banner image saved
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
By the way just to compare. The image is likely the banner that appears on top of the franchise page.

97d71d079cc9031e88c1b495f44f5e2aa29a63d6.png

It uses the exact dimensions. I dont think this banner has been used anywhere else, and considering how specific it is. I highly doubt some intern accidentally just grabbed this from some PR assets. It was likely shaped for the curator page.

Here's Xbox's publisher banner they use on Steam for comparison, as both use the same dimensions.

cca318512430e478cfff9fae640feffa392fd8be.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
By the way just to compare. The image is likely the banner that appears on top of the franchise page.

97d71d079cc9031e88c1b495f44f5e2aa29a63d6.png

It uses the exact dimensions. I dont think this banner has been used anywhere else, and considering how specific it is. I highly doubt some intern accidentally just grabbed this from some PR assets. It was likely shaped for the curator page.

Here's Xbox's banner for comparison

cca318512430e478cfff9fae640feffa392fd8be.jpg
Yeah that banner image is specifically made for Steam. We haven't seen any artwork that wide yet.

Put me on the hype train.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
That would be excellent if they did! I'd imagine that Microsoft wants all future Blizzard titles to show up on Steam and eventually port the rest of the Battle.net games to it.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Acti ditching battle.net for CoD before the MS takeover is certainly not something I was expecting. regardless, the more games crawling back into Steam, the better.

GundamStyle

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I need cod MW to be 20 bucks somewhere so I can play it on pc. I liked it on ps4 pro, but I wanna play with DLSS.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
No one brought COD on Steam, im not sure why people are begging for it back. COD was getting outsold by random JRPG's on Steam.

From what I remember COD would still sell but not nearly as high as you would expect from an IP as big as it is.

Call of Duty WW2 was the last COD game that released on Steam and that was back in 2017.

Since 2017 there has been massive growth on Steam.

COD games could actually sell a lot better on Steam, how ever they hardly ever go on sale, and unlike on consoles there are a bunch of other FPS games that COD has to complete against, where on console it was just going up against like 3-4 (Overwatch,Halo, BF, Destiny, and now more recently against Apex) big ones that's that's pretty much it. So even when it does go. On sale it's usually a small discount and the player base is no where near as large as it is.

The main COD game that seems to have been selling well is Black Ops 3 and that's mainly because of custom Zombie maps from what I have heard.

COD is just weird because it does seem that when people do pick them up on PC it's more to play them for nostalgia, so just playing the campaign and a little of online if there are still even people for some of the games and then move on (for multiplayer that's not really a good thing)

Releasing now on Steam especially with Warzone could get a lot more people into it, but it would still have a lot of games to compete with and some of those games wouldn't even be FPS games per say.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
This is probably more Activision trying to make a big splash after Vanguard than it is anything else.

It's probably a bit of both. Despite Bnet technically predating Steam by a few years, it isn't the behemoth many presume it to be, so I have to imagine Acti has been watching EA's return to Steam with a keen eye, given it (EA) was the first major publisher to double down on its own platform. Additionally, any plans to return to Steam were likely accelerated in the wake of the acquisition deal, as it's unlikely to fail and odds are MS, now being privy to Acti's MAU data, intends to make an executive decision to bring Bnet games to Steam, as it is keenly aware that being on PC and being on Steam are two quite different things.

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
It's probably a bit of both. Despite Bnet technically predating Steam by a few years, it isn't the behemoth many presume it to be, so I have to imagine Acti has been watching EA's return to Steam with a keen eye, given it (EA) was the first major publisher to double down on its own platform. Additionally, any plans to return to Steam were likely accelerated in the wake of the acquisition deal, as it's unlikely to fail and odds are MS, now being privy to Acti's MAU data, would have an executive decision to bring Bnet games to Steam, as it is keenly aware that being on PC and being on Steam are two quite different things.
That's fair. Now I just wonder if they'll get rid of Activision accounts and replace it with Microsoft accounts?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm pretty sure that Activision will get booted off of battle.net either right before, or sometime after, the deal closes. I've never liked having COD and Crash titles on the launcher for Blizzard games.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They've gotta be seeing how successful Microsoft's move to Steam has been. Or hell, Destiny 2 is absolutely huge on Steam after Bungie moved away from Battlenet after the split.

It never made sense for Battlenet to have anything on it but Blizzard games.

Particular CoD games not being successful on Steam doesn't really get fixed by moving them to Battlenet. We literally have no insight into how many people bought a game on Battlenet. There are no user reviews. There's no population count. There's nothing.

Like others in this thread have said. CoD just doesn't really have player retention on PC because everybody knows when the next annual CoD release happens, all of their progress is gone. Doesn't really make much sense to invest time and money into a game that's just gonna be replaced a year later.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Mor over at MetaCouncil did some detective work and found more evidence to suggest that Activision will be returning to Steam soon with their Call of Duty franchise:

As you all know already, A Steam banner for Modern Warfare 2 (reboot) leaked via a franchise page that is not yet public (it redirects to homepage). Well, looks like some more stuff has been happening behind the scenes.
Looks like Activision has been opening base groups (which are mandatory for publisher/franchise pages) on Steam for quite some time, here are a few of them:
Steam Community :: Group :: Call of Duty
Steam Community :: Group :: Activision
And a news hub for Call of Duty franchise:
Call of Duty - Steam News Hub
So far so good, right? Well, let's see who are the owners of those groups:
Steam Community :: kai.hsu
Steam Community :: booth.ramsay

unknown.png

unknown.png

But the most interesting part is this, both profiles have the same number of games on their Steam Libraries (and as you can see those are corporate accounts, not user/player ones) which is 128 games.

unknown.png

Do try to count the number of games that are currently on Steam from Activision and then try to find the missing ones :thinking-blob: :thinking-blob: :thinking-blob:
Something is going on behind the scenes, fellas!

OP
OP

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Mor over at MetaCouncil did some detective work and found more evidence to suggest that Activision will be returning to Steam soon with their Call of Duty franchise:

As you all know already, A Steam banner for Modern Warfare 2 (reboot) leaked via a franchise page that is not yet public (it redirects to homepage). Well, looks like some more stuff has been happening behind the scenes.
Looks like Activision has been opening base groups (which are mandatory for publisher/franchise pages) on Steam for quite some time, here are a few of them:

unknown.png

unknown.png

But the most interesting part is this, both profiles have the same number of games on their Steam Libraries (and as you can see those are corporate accounts, not user/player ones) which is 128 games.

unknown.png

Do try to count the number of games that are currently on Steam from Activision and then try to find the missing ones :thinking-blob: :thinking-blob: :thinking-blob:
Hell yes!

We should know on June 8th. I imagine they'll open pre-orders after gameplay reveal!

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

LnXIpjQ.gif