• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
From Call of Duty Leaker - The Gaming Revolution

Stated that Sony funded development of Modern Warfare 2 Campaign which is why it has released 30 days early on PS4.

A similar deal is in place for MW3.

I know a lot of people dislike exclusivity deals but if the campaign was only remastered because Sony funded it would you be more in favour of them?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Even if they did, I really, really doubt Activision wouldn't have remastered the campaign otherwise. It's not a big deal, but still sucks.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
"Funding development" is just another way of saying Sony paid for exclusivity. Activision can fund their own games, they don't need help

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? They didn't fund the development, or else it wouldn't release on anything else than PS4 at all.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do Activision need Sony's delay on Xbox money for Call of Duty of all things? What a silly situation all round.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I don't trust most COD YTbers because they click bait the fuck out of alot of what they do.

joefro

ā–² Legend ā–²
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Nice of Sony to throw a bone to indie publisher Activision. Maybe one day they will make enough money to fund their own games.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I guess for those people that believe Microsoft funded Rise of the Tomb Raider and defend their one year exclusivity. In reality neither actually needed funding from an outside source.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
firstly, it's 30 days so who cares it's a remaster, secondly this was going to get made at some point, what did Sony pay to have the 30 days is the question.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Funding development" is just another way of saying Sony paid for exclusivity. Activision can fund their own games, they don't need help
Here, they would never have done it otherwise. Im glad they did, while the Multiplayer in Modern Warfare is top notch, the campaign was no where near as good as the original Modern Warfare series, I much prefer them and I'm glad their funding this.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they funded something for 30 days of exclusivity? that's not how it works.

it's a marketing deal/timed-exclusivity moneyhat. nothing more, nothing less.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be honest - it sounds like Activision is finding creative ways to word "timed exclusive". Why would Sony fund this game only for it to be a 30 day exclusivity period?

And I know that you likely will see a huge percentage of sales during the first 30 days, but it doesn't add up.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony actually funded it, it would be fully exclusive. Why would they only get 1 month period of exclusivity then Activision get everything from Xbox One and PC sales?

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Do we have any idea when MW3 Campaign Remastered will release

MW2 was rumored for at least a year iirc

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
People act like 30 days exclusivity of a remaster is a real issue. Chill folks, there are hundreds of NEW games to play right now on every box on the market

Oct 25, 2017
it's really sweet that Sony is helping the indie devs at Activision fund a remaster of such a niche game like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, it never would have happened otherwise for sure.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Here, they would never have done it otherwise. Im glad they did, while the Multiplayer in Modern Warfare is top notch, the campaign was no where near as good as the original Modern Warfare series, I much prefer them and I'm glad their funding this.
There is an exactly 0% chance Activision wouldn't have done this otherwise lol. They just saw an opportunity to save money and took it. Which, fine. But don't think this wouldn't have existed no matter what

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
If they funded development of it you would assume it would be full exclusive instead of timed.

That's the thoughts I'm having.

Unless it was funding a part of it but that still doesn't make full sense

It makes more sense if it was because this gen Sony has had maps earlier I believe

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Better question is why Activision of all companies needed someone else to fund it...
"Why would I spent $10M of my own money to get something with a $15M return on investment, when I can spend the $10M on something else that gets a $20M return on investment?"

Or, alternatively,

"If I spent $5M of my own money to get something with a $15M return on investment, and I partner with someone else that will see some ROI that they're interested in by satisfying some other clause first that is acceptable, then it's worth spending the money on it, because that's a good ROI"

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
why would Sony need to "fund" a Call of Duty release?

Activision isn't some small indy fuckin company that couldn't have made it otherwise. Greed taking away from other platforms just for the sake of greed. What the fuck.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
In what world does Activision need anybody to fund it? They can develop their own games without any external need for funding. Sorry if I have a hard time believing this.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Oh boy. If y'all are crying and moaning about moneyhats now. Just wait till next gen starts

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares if this is true or not, or to what degree they funded it to? The end result is the same. It's why I personally don't care. These are business deals done by businesses for various reasons. The funny part is seeing people try to arbitrarily set which ones of them are "good" are "bad" or ponder if the business needed it or not. LOL

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely believe there'll be the same deal for MW3.

I highly doubt that Sony funded it instead of paying for timed exclusivity, however, for a variety of reasons.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - Youā€™re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
"Fund" as in it's now part of the marketing deal they have together.

Sony is not the reason the remasters exist lmao this exact MW2 campaign only remaster was rumored since early 2018.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is an exactly 0% chance Activision wouldn't have done this otherwise lol. They just saw an opportunity to save money and took it. Which, fine. But don't think this wouldn't have existed no matter what
Honestly.. I think they would've tied it into a super duper deluxe edition of the future Infinity Ward COD, sold it for $100+ like they did with Infinite Warfare getting the OG Modern Warfare. Then sold it for $40 afterwards a year after that at best.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

Agreed. This is straight up a spin to justify moneyhatting. I'm sure you could argue that Sony helped fund Destiny.

Did Sony also help fund MW et al seeing as 1/3 of the game is exclusive to their platform for a year?