• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'm listening... I don't really play call of duty games but Blackout was the most fun I've had in a battle royal game in awhile. If this is true they might win over another purchase from me.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The problem here being that Activision considers the Battle Royale mode to be as throw away as their annual releases. The reason why Fortnite/PUBG are endearing is because you know that the skin you bought will be compatible with future versions of that same game. You won't have to worry about Fortnite 2...it's all just Fortnite. I'll play it, but I'll be damned if I spend a penny on it outside of purchasing the game.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What if we put all the BR games into a BR game... Damn, even the cash system is ripped form DOA Cliffy B game.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
uu9pmDP.gif

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Over the BR stuff, frankly. Apex is the best of the lot and I don't even play that anymore.

Focus on the core modes and deliver a great Call of Duty experience first and foremost that actually respects the players and doesn't nickel and dime them at every turn, don't toss resources into a mode of play where its entire success is predicated on long term support when you're just going to annualize it and scrap the previous game's version of that mode. It's boneheaded and futile to try competing in a genre that you have no intention of competing in properly.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
How is it going to run at 60ish FPS on base consoles with 3x the size of blackout and 200 players at the same time?

I'm not disputing that a battle royal mode may be included but what this rumor says sounds nearly impossible.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
While RoE is trying something smaller with Ashen Eye, IW is going in a different direction. Looking forward to it.

Oct 25, 2017
blackout kinda looks plain as shit as is, i dunno about 3x the map size and twice as many players.

Still if they do a better job with the controls i might be back in

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think BR will be dominated by the free to play market. It's hard to pull an audience away when the experience you're offering is behind a $60 price tag, while the competition is free. 200 players isn't going to change that and perhaps Call of Duty should just focus on its audience, rather than trying to capture a new one.

At this stage, it's like trying to release a MOBA for $60 and. A only intending to support it for 2 years. The market is dominated with free to play options and consumers are invested in these experiences for the long haul, while Blackout is a good BR it's simply too expensive and fear that the game won't be supported indefinitely makes it hard to want to invest time into.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
So I guess, fuck Black Ops-BR then?
Then again: would be nothing new.

Paper Wario

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
Based on what I've played, here's how I'd rank battle royales based on how much I've enjoyed them:

1. Apex Legends
2. Blackout
3. Fortnite

There is a huge gap between 1 and 2 and then an even bigger gap between 2 and 3. I don't really foresee anything taking over Apex as my favorite battle royale but I am intrigued by Modern Warfare. The $60 price tag definitely doesn't help though.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that IW said no comment to BR is kind of a dead giveaway that it will be in. Given how people currently feel about Blackout (not good), if there was no BR I feel like IW would come out and say "Nope that isn't in our game, we're focusing on blah blah blah" but instead said this.
Did people turn on blackout or something

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this isn't true. I rather want all ressources to be put in the actual multiplayer.

Also why on earth would you need 200 players?

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
I mean I would be excited if this was 2020 with the new consoles. 200 player BR mode running on these toasters of consoles sounds like a disaster

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Is Activision really going to make people pay $60 every year for the latest COD battle royale? Why not just separate battle royale from the mainline COD games and support it for more than a year?

Oct 25, 2017
200 players would make for an excellent Ground War of 100 v 100
At that scale you could have a better Battlefield mode than Battlefield.
just need to upscale vehicles from the current Blackout, tanks, attack helicopters, etc.

Hell at that scale an AC-130 could be a playable vehicle with a pilot, 2 gunners and 30-50 passengers.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I mean I don't mind it as long as the other game modes are well made and the devs take their time. I'm of the mind that more is usually better. If they want to delay game to get it in fine if they want to release it later fine. Just don't make it pay to win and make a good product. This is the first time in years I'm semi excited for a cod game and don't want them to screw it up.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
200-person battle royale is also how they let their QA grab any dinner or party snacks after the development teams are done with them.

Fuck TreyArch and COD.

Edit: Ah TreyArch is working on the 2020 one, not the 2019. Comment still applies though.

Deleted member 52823

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
I thought this was supposed to be more like a throwback or something. If this is true, sounds just like CoD wants to be everything again. I was looking forward to more of a focus on TDM and whatnot. This rumor points more towards another jack of all trades game.

Gotta have everything right. Battle Royale like Fortnite and PUBG, classes and destructible environments like Siege, classic modes like regular CoD. Can't just keep it simple. Whatever.

Splatoon 2 has sold nearly ten million. Only a matter of time before the ink mechanic gets into CoD. Maybe we will get a karting mode too like Mario Kart.

Really would have preferred a focus on setting the bar for 60fps CoD gameplay with incredible graphics. Not a mashup of every multiplayer game out there.

Still surprised this doesn't have Zombies seeing as that's part of the yearly CoD package.

This rumor could be false though never know.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
darn it, i wish they would just focus on a kick ass MP

treyarch left mp behind due to blackout....and if this is 200 players.... oh boy

Nov 2, 2017
If next-gen CPUs can keep pace with the more powerful GPUs, I can see battle royale games becoming way more intense.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Is Activision really going to make people pay $60 every year for the latest COD battle royale? Why not just separate battle royale from the mainline COD games and support it for more than a year?
Because Call of Duty's sales numbers have proven time and time again that millions upon millions of people are willing to fork over $60 every single year. Activision has also proven that they have no idea how to monetize a game post launch.

Deleted member 52823

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
It just dawned on my guys. CoD: Double Dash. One player drives while the other shoots an AK. 50 player races. Kill streaks. When you get 4 kills in a row, napalm. 10 kills, chopper gunner; your partner is transported into the sky as the gunner while you drive.

This is only part of the Call of Duty experience; enjoy Blackout, Zombies, Team Deathmatch and now, intense karting action with Karting: Blood and Guts. Fall 2020. Oh yeah and there's a new single player mode too. It's co-op with 12 people, or playable by yourself. Enjoy level ups, loot, 20 different classes and more with Call of Duty: Black Ops 5. Available next Fall.