• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The battle royale fad is already fading a bit, and I don't think the antidote is just throwing more people onto the field.
I would not be shocked if Apex's recent bumps caused a lot of plans to change behind the scenes. Sure you will see the glut of BR games for a while, but those were too far in the process to change. But beyond 2021? I will be shocked if the genre isn't still just the old standbys Fortnite, PUBG, and Apex

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
YouTuber also leaked the killstreaks for MW a few days ago.
  • Personal UAV
  • Shielded Turret
  • Care Package
  • Scrambler Drone
  • Clusterstrike
  • Cruise missile (sounds similar to predator)
  • UAV (for the whole team)
  • Precision Airstrike
  • Wilson (small remote tank)
  • Chopper Gunner
  • Advanced UAV
  • White Phosphorus (chemical strike)
  • VTOL (fighter jet that hovers over map)
  • Juggernaut
  • Pavelow
  • AC-130
  • Nuke (25 kills, will be game ending at the moment)

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would not be shocked if Apex's recent bumps caused a lot of plans to change behind the scenes. Sure you will see the glut of BR games for a while, but those were too far in the process to change. But beyond 2021? I will be shocked if the genre isn't still just the old standbys Fortnite, PUBG, and Apex
Apex is down below BO4 playerbase wise on Xbox

Zeb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So they reward good players with even more advantages allowing them to buy supply drops? Nah, I'm gonna pass it if this is true. And yeah, I've always thought that killstreak mechanic is bullshit too. Still enjoyed sone COD games though

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call me cynical, but going from 100 to 200 doesn't feel like it would actually add anything to a BR game and sounds like a marketing thing more than anything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Call me cynical, but going from 100 to 200 doesn't feel like it would actually add anything to a BR game and sounds like a marketing thing more than anything else.
It has the potential to allow for a more interesting map and vehicle play imo at the very least.

the more players the larger you can go in scale,
something like
20170403191252_1.jpg

latest

latest

becomes more feasible and plays better.
Its not so much the players you directly encounter but the player density overall making for more interesting, deeper and varied locations.

Then eventually you get to something like 1000 players and your map could actually have a legitimate sized city in it.

Thats not even to mention the possibilities that opens to a Ground War mode.
you could literally turn off all of the BR mechanics, let people spawn in with MP loadouts and have a 100v100 Team Deathmatch or even Search and Destroy.
Heck imagine a 50v50 Search and Destroy on the current Blackout where the Dam is B and the Construction area is A.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has the potential to allow for a more interesting map and vehicle play imo at the very least.

something like
20170403191252_1.jpg

latest

latest

Its not so much the players you directly encounter but the player density overall making for more interesting, deeper and varied locations.

Then eventually you get to something like 1000 players and your map could actually have a legitimate sized city in it.

you could literally turn off all of the BR mechanics, let people spawn in with MP loadouts and have a 100v100 Team Deathmatch or even Search and Destroy.
Heck imagine a 50v50 Search and Destroy on the current Blackout where the Dam is B and the Construction area is A.

In CoD? All everyone would do is camp in a bush for 7 hours.

Oct 25, 2017
In CoD? All everyone would do is camp in a bush for 7 hours.
Thats why you adjust the circle characteristics.

They could actually do something like the Battle Royale movie where it isn't a circle getting smaller and smaller within itself but could
1. move outside the initial circle
2. have random grid spot/s be safe zone that alternate slowly down to a single one.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cash system currently called "Plunder." You are able to find cash on the ground as part of the loot. Once you have acquired this cash, you are allowed to take it to designated ATMs around the map to deposit the money into a bank. If you win the game you are able to keep it, but not if you lose. The cash will allow you to purchase outfits and supply drops within the game.

Yeah, not liking this. If you are able to deposit, you should keep it.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If true, I find it kind of hilarious that they took maybe the most stupidly obvious route to beat the competition, and I really don't understand how they think doubling the player count will magically make their game more appealing. BR rounds in current games last long enough as-is.

"MORE".

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
If true, I find it kind of hilarious that they took maybe the most stupidly obvious route to beat the competition, and I really don't understand how they think doubling the player count will magically make their game more appealing. BR rounds in current games last long enough as-is.

"MORE".
Yeah I have to agree with this, 200 player BR sounds like something you'd do if you assume bigger = better. Doubling the player count leaves you with 3 options: extremely long games (30-40 minutes), normal length games but extremely fast pace or a middle ground.

Oct 25, 2017
how they think doubling the player count will magically make their game more appealing.
I already explained why its more appealing for me
I'd like to have more larger locations than just one or two of
call_of_duty_black_ops_4_blackout_construction_site_1920.0-1021x580.jpg

around the map.

also more is certainly better for a groundwar gametype.

thats why I legitimately want that discussed 1000 player BR,
I want to see a BR map with something like
latest

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already explained why its more appealing for me
I'd like to have more larger locations than just one or two of
call_of_duty_black_ops_4_blackout_construction_site_1920.0-1021x580.jpg

around the map.

also more is certainly better for a groundwar gametype.

thats why I legitimately want that discussed 1000 player BR,
I want to see a BR map with something like
latest
Meh. It'd just take way too long, or there'd be too many ways or too few to get across the map as the "storm" closes in. I'd be curious to see how it works, but I don't know...it still seems like a bit of an asinine idea to beat the competition.

Fortnite didn't become successful because it went "bigger" than the competition, it's the constant updates, changes to the game to keep it fresh, likeable cosmetics, map changes, mechanic introductions etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is this will be with Modern Warfare but I actually think my most wanted character skins would be Salter and Reyes from Infinite Warfare

Oct 25, 2017
The leaker who was right about a lot of other stuff is saying Terminal, the Gulag and Broadcast are part of the map,
that definitely gets me excited for the scale of the map(and theme as well).

Last edited:

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
What a shitshow, is the tickrate stiil going to be 20hz? Because that would be catastrophic.

Merkunt

Oct 25, 2017
"Restock - Recharges lethal and tacticals;
Shrapnel - More damage with grenades"

It's OMA all over again.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
blackout was great and only suffered from a lack of updates and content so I'll wait to see on this.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017

something like
20170403191252_1.jpg

latest

latest

Well... Yes... But No.

Pretty much every BR game today has its performance (both clientside and serverside) tuned to the assumption that half the lobby will die in the first minute because they all dropped in the same place and slaughtered eachother. Basically they're able to crank the playercount so high because only a fraction of that cap will be actual contenders who exist on the server for more than 60 seconds - Short enough that their impact on the server and other players will be nullified before anyone really notices. "100 Players" is essentially a "lie" more or less. Ultimately the games have been optimized for about 50 players and the other fifty are just fluff.

Don't believe me? The reason Epic scrapped 50v50 from Fortnite was because players weren't dying fast enough and it was straining their servers (as well as any lower-end hardware playing), and likewise that's the reason all the respawn-mode LTMs are 32-player at best. And both of EA's Battle Royale games (Apex and BFVFirestorm) opted to cut it down to just 60 and 64 respectively outright.

Battle Royale for more than 100 Players with "Console Quality Gameplay" is Pie in the Sky with current gen hardware. After 100 Players, a ton of compromises have to be made that essentially mean jankier and jankier game design in order to get it to work.

I think you'll understand when Planetside Arena comes out. IIRC it's supposed to be 500-player BR, and potentially 1000-player BR later on - Like you were hoping for. It'll be a Battle Royale FPS with more than 100 players, yes, but you're gonna find a lot of... Peculiarities - As a simple consequence of how the sausage gets made. You can see for yourself if you play Planetside 2 as it is, which doesn't have the BR benefit of dead players leaving the game.

please play planetside 2 people thx bye

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Bumping because MW has released and one of overhead maps in the Spec Ops Operation Paladin intro looks a lot like a drawing of the rumored BR map

The drawing is from July

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
They're not doing a "Season Pass" this year but are instead doing "Battle Pass" this year, right?

Launching a 200-person Battle Royale mode would be the perfect time to also launch a first (or second) Battle Pass with cosmetic goodies to work toward.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I enjoyed Blackout so I can see myself enjoying this. As long as it isn't an absolute travesty from a performance standpoint. Cautiously Optimistic on this one, but hope it does deliver if true.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't know what to think about such a huge map (it's apparently 2-3 times the size of Blackout) with such an insane amount of buildings you can hide in.