• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
That's it I'm buying both versions each plus the collectors edition to show my support of game company.
Good, I'm sure the low and mid level employees will appreciate that (they won't).
If yall really think that the money sword and shield will make will do anything to the normal dev morale boy I got news for you
Yup, easy to notice which posters have no clue what they're talking about when they mention something like what I quoted above.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to release these games less frequently. Yes I know the anime and everything but they need to rethink all that. Give Game Freak a nice longer development cycle for the next game to really make those games shine and make their work easier.

It sucks that part of the fanbase has been so toxic but I'm hoping the reaction to that E3 at least makes TPC rethink some of the ways they do things. Because I don't think things are gonna be better if they continue down that path.

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
Pokemon need to evolve
2hbIg9g.png

Jun 23, 2019
It's hardly surprising when a team of creators produces it's highest quality work to date and the fan base says, "it's not enough" and "it's not good enough".

Don't get me wrong, thiswill be the highest quality Pokemon game they've made thus far, but some fans' love for the series is painting their perception and not letting us look at the game with clear eyes. GF has made several puzzling decisions involving the game and the poor reception is reflective of that. Dexit is just a symptom, not the cause.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is more to life than Pokemon games.

I think a lot of people on gaming side do not quite understand this but being displeased with a product doesn't give you an open license to be an asshole.

This is hard for people to understand for some reason. Some posts here are on some straight-up bullshit. Just don't by the game.

I can't believe so many people waste this much energy complaining about this game. It's been months and it's the same shit.
Not buying the game doesn't tell GF anything about why I'm passing up on the game. It could be for a million other reasons. There is no way to effectively communicate distaste for their decisions that doesn't involve speaking up

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It was impossible to know that thousands of people on the internet calling them lazy would affect their morale.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Please, explain to me where they've been listening to their fans then? I like a lot of things about the new game, but gamefreak has been actively ignoring what the hardcore fanbase wants for years
Have you not seen the latest video showing a bunch of QoL improvements that were widely requested by the competitive community?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Must suck to be a GF employee right now. Basically every problem people have with SwSh isnt their fault yet their the ones taking all the blame for it.
It is inconsequential, you get 400+ fucking Pokemon to catch
Oh thank god. I was really disappointed by the cut Pokemon but I guess you told me its inconsequential so im not anymore.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If yall really think that the money sword and shield will make will do anything to the normal dev morale boy I got news for you

Not even mentioning the same people who are getting at them won't be quelled by the inevitable there at all. Quite the opposite, we all know that they're going to sell very well but it actually happening will of course light the torch paper anew. Particularly if they sell above expectations.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Man OP really ruined any chance of us having a levelheaded discussion about this subject.

Do we even know this person's credentials to trust that this information is true?

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
User Banned (3 Days): Antagonizing other users; prior ban for similar behavior
Not buying the game doesn't tell GF anything about why I'm passing up on the game. It could be for a million other reasons. There is no way to effectively communicate distaste for their decisions that doesn't involve speaking up
Shh, we've already established that absolutely any and all kinds of criticism is toxic, expressing such things will not be allowed, it'll be generalized as toxic behavior expected from assholes.
That morale will pick right back up once the sales numbers for SwSh start coming in.
Low and mid level employees won't benefit much from that. Recognition of effort can sometimes be a much more powerful motivator, in this case that's be overwhelming positive reception and comments, which they're not getting for obvious reasons.

Oct 26, 2017
Because Switch versions of titles have been performing far better than previous iterations? Granted Pokemon was a handheld title so who knows, but LGPE performed more or less (a lil less) in line with previous remakes

Other Switch titles had hype behind them, SWSH has the baggage of Dexit. So you can't really use Switch boost as an argument for why SWSH will suddenly get 3-5mil extra sales.

Why would a Zelda game sell 15mil?I expect a good growth to Pokémon too.

I'm sure you realize the stupidity of comparing Pokemon to Zelda. Especially when Breath of the Wild never had the negativity that Sword and Shield has.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I love you, Game Freak. Your only crime is always making people want even more.
That's a very good way of putting it. Sometimes it's seems like people don't remember that Gamefreak is the dev that created this series that they have so much passion for in the first place.

It'd be one thing if Gamefreak was pushing addictive micro transactions (EA/Activision) or silencing free speech (Blizzard) or associating with pedos (THQ), but all they are doing is making a game that doesn't live up to people's lofty expectations - not exactly a crime worthy of eternal damnation I'd say...

in4m8ion_man

Mar 11, 2019
Well when Sword and Shield are the best selling games on the Switch I'm sure that will do wonders for morale.
while it certainly wont hurt, but emotional distress doesn't just vanish like that.
Doesn't matter how good things can turn out the damage gets done, it changes hearts and minds of the people making games to be shit on 24/7, ive lost many friends to other fields because they just didn't want to be around 'gamer toxicity' anymore just for doing their jobs

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have you not seen the latest video showing a bunch of QoL improvements that were widely requested by the competitive community?
I did. They were decent, but they're super small compared to what I'm talking about, and they still haven't even made the biggest improvements in that regard anyways since Hyper training still requires level 100 pokemon for some god forsaken reason and we still know of no easy way to switch to hidden abilities. Hell, most serious competitive players are either
1. Using showdown instead of cartridge play anyways
2. Using hacks to generate their pokemon because it will always be easier anyways
So while they're cool accesibility changes, they aren't really that important or impactful

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to release these games less frequently. Yes I know the anime and everything but they need to rethink all that. Give Game Freak a nice longer development cycle for the next game to really make those games shine and make their work easier.

It sucks that part of the fanbase has been so toxic but I'm hoping the reaction to that E3 at least makes TPC rethink some of the ways they do things. Because I don't think things are gonna be better if they continue down that path.
They definitely need to slow their pace, or at least rethink how they expect to keep pace.

I'm gonna lose my sanity if I have to keep seeing people talk about the Pokemon multimedia marketing machine as a valid reason this all needs to keep happening.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
- return of PSS (+ improvements)
- return of DexNav features like Pokemon available in the area and special Pokemon with improved stats/movesets
- return of rental Pokemon (online feature)

+ features that were asked by fans like :

- ranked online mode
- QoL features regarding breeding
- Being able to play together with friends (true in the Wild area)
- Stronger Pokemon available in the wild
- less hand holding at the begining of the game

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I feel bad for lower level employees and their morale, of course, because they're the ones who will get the internal blame, which absolutely sucks and will never ever be okay. But the higher ups are the ones who are going to make the money off of this game which is going to get Pokemon sales + Switch boost, so I can't really feel that bad for the higher ups.

Not a fan of people painting any criticism as toxicity though, Pokemon for some reason is something a lot of people get really upset about any criticism toward, to the point of getting excessively mad about a 7.8 review or whatever. There are bad eggs anywhere in this fandom.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a very good way of putting it. Sometimes it's seems like people don't remember that Gamefreak is the dev that created this series that they have so much passion for in the first place.

It'd be one thing if Gamefreak was pushing addictive micro transactions (EA/Activision) or silencing free speech (Blizzard) or associating with pedos (THQ), but all they are doing is making a game that doesn't live up to people's lofty expectations - not exactly a crime worthy of eternal damnation I'd say...
I mean, they might not being doing that, but if we get another third version over DLC (they have no excuse at this point, platform wise) it'll be just as bad

Timestamp and transcript

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
The timestamp is ~1:38:00

What I've heard is that the morale at GameFreak right now is really low. The backlash to the stuff that happened earlier this year, around the announcement [of the dex cuts] was really demoralizing and that has continued to spiral, and people at GameFreak are in a rough place right now. [...] The fan feedback was deeply affecting to the folks working there.

Sounds like it's been like this since E3.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
- return of DexNav features like Pokemon available in the area and special Pokemon with improved stats/movesets

- ranked online mode
No no, you are not allow to say good things about what has GF done or else you're a shill.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I did. They were decent, but they're super small compared to what I'm talking about, and they still haven't even made the biggest improvements in that regard anyways since Hyper training still requires level 100 pokemon for some god forsaken reason and we still know of no easy way to switch to hidden abilities. Hell, most serious competitive players are either
1. Using showdown instead of cartridge play anyways
2. Using hacks to generate their pokemon because it will always be easier anyways
So while they're cool accesibility changes, they aren't really that important or impactful
Weren't you debating that they don't really listen to fans, though?
The presence of widely requested QoL clearly shows otherwise, whether you find them impactful or not.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
There could be a variety of reasons:

1. Having to cut the dex and probably their own personal favorites when it was the decision of higher ups of Nintendo, TPCi, and Gamefreak higher ups
  2. The mixed reception to Little Town Hero and not being able to branch out more from Pokemon
  3. The game getting leaked and the reception to just how many Pokemon were cut
  4. Nightmare schedule from TPCi due to merch, anime, etc

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The worst part is that everything the fans have disliked have been decisions by the higher ups, and when the game sells 15 m+ without issue the higher ups will be happy anyway, and the people who put their hard work and actually care will be left with all the negativity.
This is the part all these ridiculous "game will sell lots, they'll be fine" posts are missing, but I've learned not to expect better from many Era users, they tend to ignore plenty of things.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm afraid I'm out of the loop. What has GameFreak down to necessitate "winning back fans"? I don't really play Pokémon games anymore, but I'm very curious.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Leaks + the negativity from the fans when you're busting your asses to make the best game you can.

Makes sense to me

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people insist that leaks are demoralizing? Are people forgetting how constant the negativity was when Masuda announced that not all Pokemon will be in the game back in E3/Treehouse?

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man OP really ruined any chance of us having a levelheaded discussion about this subject.

Do we even know this person's credentials to trust that this information is true?
Not really actually. It doesnt seem like a stretch at all though, and I think weve heard similar things before? I. remember reading something like this before

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

- ranked online mode
They had ranked online already, it's not new, even if it sounds like they improved it a bit.
Who asked for the stronger wild Pokemon thing?
It's cool that they're finally letting us skip tutorials that they should've let us skip ages ago, but doing a few bare minimum changes doesn't impress me that much

Rental pokemon returning are cool, but most people never even knew it existed in SM because of the hoops you needed to jump through so I doubt it's returning due to fan demand.
Not sure how anything is that similar to DexNav

Jun 2, 2019
Please, explain to me where they've been listening to their fans then? I like a lot of things about the new game, but gamefreak has been actively ignoring what the hardcore fanbase wants for years

Online play, competitive game, competitive training, breeding, leveling, balance, exploration, handholding/tutorials, cutscene skipping, berry growing, pokémon interaction, random battles + pokémon in the overworked... The list is pretty long, don't focus only on whatever you care about because it makes you part of the toxic bunch that is poisoning the fanbase. If you're going to critizise, do it properly.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My morale would be low as fuck too if my vocal fan base online was that toxic.

Also lol "the SwSh fiasco", great previews, people excited by all the designs, it's going to sell millions, yeah what a fiasco... Lmao.
If it doesn't do the sales that some of the others have done or its a dissapointment than its going to be a fiasco. there's been tons of issues with this game and the announcement around it.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.