• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I feel like people are vastly overrating the toxicity of the fanbase on websites like ERA. I definitely do think there are some people who participate in lazy dev rhetoric, but if you go back through the leak and spoiler thread, when we were getting new Pokemon designs leaked and whatnot, most of the detractors of the game on this website were actually positive. Every time a new Pokemon was leaked, people were excited for it. Obviously tunes have changed now that the dex cut was worse than most expected, but I feel like that's justified, considering a lot of people do have a personal attachment to this series. I don't personally care as much about the dex cut as others do, but there is definitely some validity to any criticism Pokemon has been getting, and I feel like it shouldn't be seen as "toxic" or "whining" to criticize, just like I don't think anyone should be looked down on for wanting to enjoy the game either.

I know this thread isn't supposed to be about this, but that's definitely what it's turned into now lol.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Negativity with GF has been consistent since the announcement in E3. Never seen the Poke crowd this angry. Though I doubt it will last months after the games release.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I disagree FWIW. The backlash will be low on the list of reasons why this will (probably) open less than S/M in the U.K. (The first concrete data we'll get), behind the price increase (both for hardware + software), the Switch vs 3DS install base and the lack of a boost from Go.

It'll work out in the end I think but that thread won't be pretty if people's reasoning here is any indication.
That's all we can do but if it doesn't smash let's go sales then that's pretty telling to show it's not affected. If it only does around the same as let's go than I don't see how the sales can be looked at anything but a dissapointment, its not like 11 million sales isn't good but they are not ideal for the new pokemon game.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Pokémon had the worst transition to a console system, they are barely using the switch's hardware and on top of that they cut more than half on the Pokémon, how can you expect people to cheer for that.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Did I say they weren't listening to fans? You can go through my post history and you'll see I've praised their good decisions, such as overworld Pokémon, removal of needless breeding (letting us change nature and whatnot), QoL changes across the board and more, but there are still other aspects where they are lacking and that's where the criticism comes in: Cut Pokémon, lacking post-game, forward-compatibility of previously introduced features (Megas, Z-Moves, etc), among others.

I don't marry companies when criticism has to be expressed, I'll call them out whether they are Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Game Freak, Naughty Dog, Capcom or even Google.
I didn't say you specifically said that, no, and I didn't mean to imply it either. I apologize for that and should have worded my post better and that's on me. I just wanted to get something going.

Reading your post, I understand. I personally have no issue with Pokemon being cut but I understand those that do, only I wish people could express it better than the majority did. Post-game content is something I can agree with though.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe

Just maybe

Adult Pokémon fans need to finally realize that the core audience of these games are children, and that they are just a vocal niche??

There's nothing wrong with enjoying something made for kids! I am not trying to insult anyone here. But there's a point where you have to concede that you are not the target audience, no matter how intensely passionate you are about it.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it has any relevance but I think one of the reasons could be the pressure to release games every year. Take your damn time. There are tons of successful spinoffs to fill the void.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
If true, I'm sure ridiculously huge sales numbers in a week will help.

In all seriousness, I feel for the developers behind this game. I hope everything turns out just fine.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Leaks suck especially when everything is out 2 weeks before the game's release. There is not much they can do especially for a huge IP that is Pokémon.
I imagine it's because the IP is so massive that they feel that way, I can understand that.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
theyll be fine when they sell 15+ million copies and get their 85+ metacritic

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
1CMzAWe.png

I wouldn't be surprised if the devs saw the fury over on 2ch a few days ago after being unaware of the dex cut and them wanting to go after GF for advertising a false product to them.
What? When did they ever falsely advertise anything?
Not once in their promotional material have they stated that all Pokemon would be available, you're just spreading misinformation.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon had the worst transition to a console system, they are barely using the switch's hardware and on top of that they cut more than half on the Pokémon, how can you expect people to cheer for that.
Lol

Did you even see Fire Emblem ? Sw/Sh looks way better than that.

And Fire Emblem turned out a great game.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm sure that applies for both sides.
For sure it does, but you don't see me acting like there's absolutely 0 things that these games are doing well, because there are some pretty sweet things, just like there are plenty to criticize. I won't call out someone for praising QoL changes, but I will call the fuck out of someone saying "There are 400+ Pokémon to catch, so eh, no problem".

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe

Just maybe

Adult Pokémon fans need to finally realize that the core audience of these games are children, and that they are just a vocal niche??

There's nothing wrong with enjoying something made for kids. But there's a point where you have to concede that you are not the target audience, no matter how intensely passionate you are about it.

So explain why people of all ages are playing Pokemon Go? Or better yet, since you introduce the children argument, why do critics/adults/etc watch Pixar movies if they're only meant for children?

The fact that people like you are always trying to act like the core audience is ONLY for children continues to be incredibly disingenuous.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have people considered that the low morale might be because of problems with the management or feeling like their voices aren't being heard within the company and not just because of the way the fandom reacted? Like we know there are disagreements about the direction the series are going within gamefreak and we know this was a controversial decision among the staff, so it's not impossible that the low morale is due more to internal factors than the fans reactions in the first place

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
1CMzAWe.png

I wouldn't be surprised if the devs saw the fury over on 2ch a few days ago after being unaware of the dex cut and them wanting to go after GF for advertising a false product to them.
I knew Japanese pokemon fans were in an uproar recently, but did GF seriously not do an official announcement of the pokedex cut in JP. Sheesh, that is a horrible decision.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Morale is low because they worked so hard on this game and they're dragged through the mud every day by the "
reals fans" I bet...

Oct 26, 2017
Lol

Did you even see Fire Emblem ? Sw/Sh looks way better than that.

And Fire Emblem turned out a great game.

Fire Emblem's graphics are bad but it does have hundreds of hours of content and a ton of voice dialogue that wasn't cheap.

Also it was made by Koei-Tecmo who may have had fewer resources than Game Freak and Creatures.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Have people considered that the low morale might be because of problems with the management or feeling like their voices aren't being heard within the company and not just because of the way the fandom reacted? Like we know there are disagreements about the direction the series are going within gamefreak and we know this was a controversial decision among the staff, so it's not impossible that the low morale is due more to internal factors than the fans reactions in the first place
It is not.

Just listen to the podcast.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The transcript posted said it was because of the backlash at E3.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
That's a very good way of putting it. Sometimes it's seems like people don't remember that Gamefreak is the dev that created this series that they have so much passion for in the first place.

It'd be one thing if Gamefreak was pushing addictive micro transactions (EA/Activision) or silencing free speech (Blizzard) or associating with pedos (THQ), but all they are doing is making a game that doesn't live up to people's lofty expectations - not exactly a crime worthy of eternal damnation I'd say...
Most definitely, and it seems the game is actually quite good from the impressions and leak thread. People just want more all the time, I can see where people are coming from but a lot of people go beyond the pale with the criticisms.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I can believe it. Last year's reception to Let's Go was pretty toxic, and this year the greedy devs/lazy devs rhetoric has only gotten worse. Hopefully things will calm down once SwSh are actually out, assuming they're good games.

I don't envy Gamefreak for their fanbase, that's for sure.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I don't think Nintendo wants to make Pokémon

It's in Nintendo's interest to make sure the game doesn't disappoint so many people. They need to at least offer a lot of guidance to the current devs.

If eschewing old ideas/concepts at the gain of new elements that won't last into the next iteration is a problem for Pokéfans now it's only bound to get worse under Nintendo's in-house devs.

That is one of the problems that the fans have, but with Nintendo in-house at least it would satisfy the another desire of the fans: a more ambitious/modern looking game. Imagine a Pokemon game that looks like BotW and has a similar level of exploration freedom. It would sell like crazy.

Pokemon Go was evidence that this IP is being wasted. Its potential is far beyond any other Nintendo IP and they need to make a game to honor that.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not spreading anything, I'm relaying what these people's reasoning is. They believe they were having something falsely advertised to them.
If you relay something false, you're spreading misinformation, so it's good to check it before passing it on.
Anyway, they don't truly believe that. That is clearly someone just trying to find some sort of legal ground to go after Game Freak for something as frivolous as the game not having all Pokemon, which is kind embarrassing and really dishonest.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I am on mobile but we had someone posting the extract earlier. It is because of the post E3 reception.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
An incredibly controversial decision was made regarding the new games and the future of the series as a whole, something that would obviously result in upsetting a lot of people, and people responded with criticism, especially since Masuda doesn't seem to care that people aren't pleased about Dexit.

Are some people being total assholes about it? Yes, and that's going too far, but that's not to say there isn't legitimate criticism being directed towards Sword and Shield as well.

I feel bad for the employees, but people have a right to express their disappointment considering that half of the Pokemon got cut, they just need to not be assholes about it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can believe it. Last year's reception to Let's Go was pretty toxic, and this year the greedy devs/lazy devs rhetoric has only gotten worse. Hopefully things will calm down once SwSh are actually out, assuming they're good games.

I don't envy Gamefreak for their fanbase, that's for sure.
I mean a lot of the criticism to let's go was met with "you'll get your game next year" and then it turns out that no, we really didn't get what we were actually asking for at all.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love the "it's just for kids, so fuck off" and "catching pokemon isn't a core aspect of the games" crowd with the bad faith disingenuous arguments to defend the shitfest this pre-release cycle has been.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I knew Japanese pokemon fans were in an uproar recently, but did GF seriously not do an official announcement of the pokedex cut in JP. Sheesh, that is a horrible decision.
The message was only relayed to us in the West I believe, hence why they're reacting this way in the screenshot. Some or all did not know about this. The posters in the thread think GF is falsely advertising a product and it just spilled out to them attacking James Turner on Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.