• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 10, 2019
Can't wait to play the Tommy Wiseau version...

thumb_playstation-2-silent-hill4-the-room-sony-mature-17-esrb-youre-53512347.png

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy it if it was real.

But this is kinda the Sonic cycle of horror games; Silent Hill rumours leak - Fans get excited over a new SH that isn't pachinko trash - Rumours turn out to be nothingburgers - Fans tell Konami to go fuck itself. Rinse and repeat.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If they're still farming the series out to the cheapest no-name third party studios they can find, then I would expect it to be any different then the other post-Team Silent games. Konami obviously doesn't give a shit about quality control.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
There is no reason to come to this conclusion at all. A Until Dawn style game and series reboot both sound good to me.

Hope there's a damn good writer involved. Granted, Until Dawn looked fantastic, but it was really carried by the writing and a SH in that gameplay style would be no different.

If these rumors are true (I have no reason to doubt Dusk), I'm dyin' to find out what studios are involved.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
I for one cannot wait to feel the EXCITE RUSH of the new pachinko machines lol

This probably isn't the thread for this, but I do wonder if the gym/pachinko focused boardbois in Minato are looking at Capcom's success this gen and thinking "maybe console gaming isn't dead? maybe we could be getting some of those sweet, sweet reboot bucks?" They bet wrong on this gen. Not the only JP company to do so, but they certainly have lost the most ground. Their shitty corporate culture can't be ignored here of course.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I thought we don't have threads based on rumours from a single user? (RoH are quoting Dusk in their article)

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's Team Silent. Masahiro Ito might be involved.

And the lore does need a refresh. The western companies did a number on it. Remember magical negro?
latest
I never heard the term Magical Negro, so I did some Googling to see it was popularized by Spike Lee, but whatever that's not the point. The point is, that this lead me to looking at the list Wikipedia had and looking how many times Morgan Freeman popped up. The funniest part is that Shaq made the list as Kazaam.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Bluepoint for the traditional Silent Hill game.
Supermassive for the Until Dawn like Silent Hill game.

Both PS5 exclusive.
shialabeoufdoit.gif

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. With the RE remakes it is a great time for playing horror games.

addik

Oct 28, 2017

Not gonna deny that Climax UK wasn't more than this, but do remember that Sam Barlow was part of Climax UK and worked on Silent Hill: Origins (which is rather meh), then Shattered Memories (which is controversial, but at least it was its own thing) before going on to do Her Story and Telling Lies. I can't vouch for the latter, but Her Story is great and you could already see how Barlow's mind works in Shattered Memories.

There's probably some great talents in these small teams, but I wouldn't be surprised if Konami had something to do with some of the games sucking (who could remember how they decided to put Korn in Downpour, against the wishes of the developers, who already contacted Akira Yamaoka to do a vocal track for them?).

(Though yes, I prefer they give this to Team Silent or even Platinum)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna deny that Climax UK wasn't more than this, but do remember that Sam Barlow was part of Climax UK and worked on Silent Hill: Origins (which is rather meh), then Shattered Memories (which is controversial, but at least it was its own thing) before going on to do Her Story and Telling Lies. I can't vouch for the latter, but Her Story is great and you could already see how Barlow's mind works in Shattered Memories.

There's probably some great talents in these small teams, but I wouldn't be surprised if Konami had something to do with some of the games sucking (who could remember how they decided to put Korn in Downpour, against the wishes of the developers, who already contacted Akira Yamaoka to do a vocal track for them?).

(Though yes, I prefer they give this to Team Silent or even Platinum)

WHY Platinum? What have they ever done that makes one think they'd be a good fit for a horror game? I keep seeing them brought up in this thread and I straight-up do not understand it.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
They're not actually my ideal developers lol. I was just replying to the quote which referenced Platinum as an unlikely developer).

At the very least, I like how atmospheric Nier: Automata was, and that's in spite of a low budget (though much of it I guess was attributed to the game's music, but that should be fine if they get Yamaoka back).

I honestly think a smaller team--independent developers--would do wonders with the IP.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so annoyed that in spite of common sense that this probably won't go well - 'cause Konami - I still have a tiny bit of hope, lol.

Sigh.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, it makes sense. Konami sees Capcom storming back and thinks, why not me? On the other hand, this is Konami and I don't believe a single word of it. At least in the way people are hoping.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Multiple is what scares me...
I agree that a remake of the first one like REmake would be a great way to get people back in SH world. The good thing for the series is also that every game dont need to be connected, so after that if its succesfull enough, they can go on with something new in the series.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well if it's not with Masahiro Ito, Akira Yamoka, Joe Romersa and all the membersd who made the real Silent Hill games succeed then it won't be a Silent Hill. I that case sell the IP to Sony and let Kojima handle it and so he brings the old members back.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to not be cynical about this. I say this because either nothing becomes of these games or they come out and are bad. Given the spotty track record of the series post SH3 it's hard to have much faith that whatever comes out will actually be good.

At this point I would happily accept a game at the level of SH 4 or Downpour

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
They can't even re-release the good Silent Hills they already have in a decent manner

Silent Hill HD Collection was broadly the most stupid pile of mistakes and unforced errors I've seen

Give me a decent way to play a nice version of 2 without having to play the PC version with fan mods fixing your damn shit, then we will talk

Oct 27, 2017

I'd buy it.

As long as it's not Homecoming 2, Shattered Memories 2 or Book of Memories 2, I'm game. I'd even take a sequel to that weird, Japanese-only Game Boy adaption of the first game. Or HD upports of the Silent Hill: Orphan/Mobile games. Or the arcade game

Just not more Homecoming, Shattered Memories or Book of Memories.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
After recent efforts like Metal Gear Survive and Contra Rogue Corps I can't wait to see the hilarity Konami has cooked up for Silent Hill!

At best maybe they'll actually release a decent remaster collection like they did Castlevania.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Silent Hill needs a RE-esque remake of the first game. Generations of gamers have gone by now not knowing what this series is and how terrifying it was.

It's also such a perfect candidate for a Netflix/HBO series :/
No, not really.

Oh great, a soft reboot. Just what Silent Hill needs - someone else thinking they "get it" better than Team Silent did.

The best Silent Hill game is pretty much a new beginning that could have made the series work as an anthology, which probably would serve the purpose of different teams working on it much better than the obssession with extending the incredibly vague plot of the first game.

2, 4, Origins and Homecoming are standalone titles for all we can tell.

Just make a new game with modern sensibilities into design set in Silent Hill and we are golden.