• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
No real point being excited in this until we know who is involved. I loved Shattered Memories and don't hate Downpour or Homecoming (while seeing that both those games are a mess), but it'd be nice if this could end up back in the hands of a major established team with a vision. That's why PT and Silent Hills were so promising, because it looked like Konami were treating the series as the major IP it deserves to be treated as.

But how wrong that turned out to be.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
we'll im totally down for a new silent hill game unless its a cheap cashgrab like contra. If its ala silent hill downpour or shattered memories im down. But its Konami so ill wait untill i see reviews and videos of the game for im even considering buying it.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Shattered Memories and PT proved that you don't necessarily need Team Silent to make a good SH game. I hope the rumors are true.

Mar 23, 2018
Well, at least the music should be good. As for the developer, I jonkingly suggested Bluepoint was actually making a Silent Hill remake/reboot... I don't believe that's happening, though LOL. I just hope whoever would be developing actually played the games and also got that dangerous but, at the same time, chilly, cryptic and mysterious vibe of the games(I played) along with the survival aspect of it.

It's a shame how I don't really find a game out there of the same vibe as Silent Hill. There's still a place or, rather, a hole in the genre that could be filled by Silent Hill once again.

If you do know of similar games out there(current gen), feel free to recommend them to me.

WHY Platinum? What have they ever done that makes one think they'd be a good fit for a horror game? I keep seeing them brought up in this thread and I straight-up do not understand it.

To me, this is like the "Team Cherry should make a Metroid game" which seems too logical, in a way because "They made a good metroidvania, so they should make a good Metroid". Could anyone tell beforehand that Creative Assembly, known as the Total War devs, were going to end up developing a pretty good game titled Alien: Isolation? It wasn't fully made only by devs from the Total War team but it was developed by Creative Assembly. Heck, same could be said about Kojima developing Silent Hills yet P.T. seemed to get things right, at least regarding the horror.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Masahiro Ito wrote on Twitter that he's working on a new title, but I think the most telling thing of all that people are missing is the "I hope it doesn't get cancelled" he included in the tweet. If that's not a blatant in-your-face nod to the Silent Hills fiasco I don't know what is. That could be the biggest clue in letting people know that it's a Silent Hill game. It's the most infamous case of a cancelled game in video game history. Why else even include that line in the tweet? It seems odd.

Then, of course, we all know Kojima is working on a horror game for his next project. Posting the following:

EMdc0FsU8AE2x9c

I see a Sony Walkman (?) in the photo. Possible nod to the radio that the SH protagonists carry around in the games? Also, I see a carousel type thing on top of the mug. Instantly brings back memories of:

silent-hill-3-amusement-park_5.jpg

(Check the background)

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

Konami also said that making high end console games is still important to them, and something they're "working on".

Where there's smoke..

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame how I don't really find a game out there of the same vibe as Silent Hill. There's still a place or, rather, a hole in the genre that could be filled by Silent Hill once again.

If you do know of similar games out there(current gen), feel free to recommend them to me.

The first The Evil Within was kinda like Resi 4 having a baby with Silent Hill IMO.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
They can't even re-release the good Silent Hills they already have in a decent manner

Silent Hill HD Collection was broadly the most stupid pile of mistakes and unforced errors I've seen

Give me a decent way to play a nice version of 2 without having to play the PC version with fan mods fixing your damn shit, then we will talk

Yup. This is basically where I'm at right now. Just let me play the original versions of the first 4 on current hardware at the bare minimum. True 'HD' versions would just be a bonus at this point.

I definitely don't want Kojima and his Hollywood based cutscenes and writing in Silent Hill. I wouldn't mind if they got a competent western developer to do this as Sam Barlow almost had it with Shattered Memories.

Agreed 100%.
I understand people having that PT taste and thirsting for more, but as a complete experience I just don't think I want Kojima's poor writing and masturbatory desperation for LOOK AT ME, HOLLYWOOD to be injected into a SH. Then again, I guess I'd rather a KojiPro SH with a budget, stunning presentation, and overall weirdness than the uninspired dreck that was coming from last gen's outsourced projects (Barlow's work excluded).

Is it a coincidence that Phil Spencer was in Japan talking to devs or could these things be related somehow?

Spencer goes to Japan A LOT.
But maybe.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe another company reassured Konami by injecting cash in the project too... :)

I mean, that's not the problem. Konami and Kojima have fundamental differences in thinking in the way they make games. It's just not logical to expect that kind of collaboration considering how badly their relationship ended.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could maybe believe one Silent Hill being farmed out to a budget developer overseas, but multiple sounds unlikely unless it's just Pachinko.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Maybe another company reassured Konami by injecting cash in the project too... :)

you know, I've considered that- but who?

Even at its peak SH wasn't a huge seller. It greatly benefited from- A. two gens (PS1 & 2) that allowed those experimental horror/adventure games to thrive and B. absolutely brilliant technical teams that found creative ways to make their games look stunning; bolstered by first-class art and sound teams.
Whoever took this series back on, if it's a collaborated effort from someone notable, would have to be able to swallow the reality that the project(s) wouldn't be a 5 million unit seller.

My heart tells me that I could see Sony taking a crack at publishing or co-finding to strengthen their platform and library, but my brain tells me Konami will continue with the most economic path within the console market- namely some AA Western studio again. Love to be wrong on the latter.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I could maybe believe one Silent Hill being farmed out to a budget developer overseas, but multiple sounds unlikely unless it's just Pachinko.

As dumb as Konami is (and they are VERY dumb) I don't think they're going to be willing to try farming Silent Hill out to a cheapo western developer again considering how badly the last SEVERAL attempts at that were received. The gaming community has spoken and they do not want that kind of project.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As dumb as Konami is (and they are VERY dumb) I don't think they're going to be willing to try farming Silent Hill out to a cheapo western developer again considering how badly the last SEVERAL attempts at that were received. The gaming community has spoken and they do not want that kind of project.
I really want to believe this is the case. The thing that sticks out in this rumor as odd is them yet again outsourcing the IP after that killed the series last time. Would be incredibly sad if they essentially learned nothing.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that's not the problem. Konami and Kojima have fundamental differences in thinking in the way they make games. It's just not logical to expect that kind of collaboration considering how badly their relationship ended.

you know, I've considered that- but who?

Even at its peak SH wasn't a huge seller. It greatly benefited from- A. two gens (PS1 & 2) that allowed those experimental horror/adventure games to thrive and B. absolutely brilliant technical teams that found creative ways to make their games look stunning; bolstered by first-class art and sound teams.
Whoever took this series back on, if it's a collaborated effort from someone notable, would have to be able to swallow the reality that the project(s) wouldn't be a 5 million unit seller.

My heart tells me that I could see Sony taking a crack at publishing or co-finding to strengthen their platform and library, but my brain tells me Konami will continue with the most economic path within the console market- namely some AA Western studio again. Love to be wrong on the latter.
My comment was mostly tongue in cheek, but yeah I was talking about Sony, and some kind of SFV situation but with little differences. Like Sony assuring a release date to Konami, handling a good part of the budget, basically renting the IP to Konami to make a game. Probably not gonna happen though. And I honestly don't mind, Kojipro can very much do a great horror game without needing the SH IP.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to believe this is the case. The thing that sticks out in this rumor as odd is them yet again outsourcing the IP after that killed the series last time. Would be incredibly sad if they essentially learned nothing.

Yeah. I really don't think they're reviving Silent Hill at all, but if they DO and it's another "we farmed it out to the cheapest studio we could find" game it's just going to kill the series all over again. I don't see that being the kind of way Konami would want to play it. Why even bother? They'd lose a lot less money just letting it stay dead.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe start with one solid one that you pour all of your best dev teams' time and energy into and see if that even works...

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
My comment was mostly tongue in cheek, but yeah I was talking about Sony, and some kind of SFV situation but with little differences. Like Sony assuring a release date to Konami, handling a good part of the budget, basically renting the IP to Konami to make a game. Probably not gonna happen though. And I honestly don't mind, Kojipro can very much do a great horror game without needing the SH IP.

I mean, it's not exactly a crazy suggestion, Rimkrak. :)
More than any of the other platform holders, Silent Hill (the Team Silent games) has more direct identity to the PlayStation ecosystem. The first remains a Playstation 1 exclusive. Although SH2 got a XBox port, it got its most attention/sold the most units on the PS2. SH3 was a PS2 console exclusive. The Room... well... The Room was The Room (I still love it, but yeah). Even though it was PS2/XB multiplat, it got more marketing presence as a PS2 game and was displayed regularly in Sony's 'upcoming games of 2004' medleys.

Sony Worldwide Studios also has strong relationships with two creative leads that have ties to the series. Keiichiro Toyama (director/creative lead of SH1) works for SIE Japan Studio. Would he ever have any interest in revisiting the series he helped push to prominence? Hard to tell, but the marketing writes itself AND the man is, IMO, a legitimate auteur. It's been over twenty years. Maybe he has an itch to walk down those foggy streets again? Maybe he wants to be the one to completely re-envision it in a reboot? The thought is intriguing. Then you have Hideo Kojima, who seemed inspired by getting the opportunity to make Silent Hills. Sony working something out and coming to him could be a 'want to finish what you started?' scenario, because he sure as hell (probably, lol) wouldn't go back to Konami if they asked him. Sony would have to be the middle-man on that one. Kojima also has old members of Team Silent within KojiPro. As I've stated many times, I'm not crazy about a full Kojima SH game... but I'd gladly take it over a dev who's only real experience is making Barbie Horseriding games for the Nintendo DS. ;)

^all of this sounds too good to be true, though. So I will keep my brain in 'pessimist' mode for my own sanity!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Konami don't care what we want though, look at the last Contra.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
On a very marginal side-note, my bold prediction for 2020 in this thread was:
"Konami this year will try a big comeback announcing several new videogames, including a new Silent Hill and possibly a new "proper" Castlevania"

You're welcome :D

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They're successful because they pivoted out of gaming.
Yep, they know how to manage their resources, which again, doesn't make them dumb. It just makes us mad at them for holding hostage all those IPs that they own, lol.

If I had to guess, this SH revival is just a way to inject some life into the IP so they can make more pachinko machines out of it.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think Konami and Kojima would ever work together again. They'll never give him the kind of budget he wants as a third party.
It might not be the budget he wants, but he also has a studio to keep afloat...

While I hope dpanim is right, it is hard for me to get excited... I just don't want to be let down again and PT's cancellation is still a huge loss for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It might not be the budget he wants, but he also has a studio to keep afloat...

While I hope dpanim is right, it is hard for me to get excited... I just don't want to be let down again and PT's cancellation is still a huge loss for me.

Kojima is in no danger, and being forced to take a contract with a publisher that publicly embarrassed him to revive an IP he's not responsible for seems like a lose-lose for Kojima. I'm sure Sony is eager to give him another job.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
More than any of the other platform holders, Silent Hill (the Team Silent games) has more direct identity to the PlayStation ecosystem. The first remains a Playstation 1 exclusive. Although SH2 got a XBox port, it got its most attention/sold the most units on the PS2. SH3 was a PS2 console exclusive. The Room... well... The Room was The Room (I still love it, but yeah). Even though it was PS2/XB multiplat, it got more marketing presence as a PS2 game and was displayed regularly in Sony's 'upcoming games of 2004' medleys.

Sony Worldwide Studios also has strong relationships with two creative leads that have ties to the series. Keiichiro Toyama (director/creative lead of SH1) works for SIE Japan Studio. Would he ever have any interest in revisiting the series he helped push to prominence? Hard to tell, but the marketing writes itself AND the man is, IMO, a legitimate auteur. It's been over twenty years. Maybe he has an itch to walk down those foggy streets again? Maybe he wants to be the one to completely re-envision it in a reboot? The thought is intriguing. Then you have Hideo Kojima, who seemed inspired by getting the opportunity to make Silent Hills. Sony working something out and coming to him could be a 'want to finish what you started?' scenario, because he sure as hell (probably, lol) wouldn't go back to Konami if they asked him. Sony would have to be the middle-man on that one. Kojima also has old members of Team Silent within KojiPro. As I've stated many times, I'm not crazy about a full Kojima SH game... but I'd gladly take it over a dev who's only real experience is making Barbie Horseriding games for the Nintendo DS. ;)

^all of this sounds too good to be true, though. So I will keep my brain in 'pessimist' mode for my own sanity!
Wow I didnt know this about Toyama, super interesting thanks :)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I just don't see Sony being willing to put that much money into someone else's IP for a multiplatform project. If Toyama wants to make a horror series again he has plenty of opportunities to create a new one without being forced to work with Konami to do so.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I wish they would remaster the originals or bring the collection from last gen to current gen+PCs

Never got to play any of the games and the only one I have is the one on steam 😂

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess . They are going to be:

1 pachinko
1 board game
2 dating sims
1 fishing game

Im looking forward for these titles yohoo.
Hey, this would be neat. A game that seems like it's just a regular old fishing game but something seems off. You sometimes see strange things in the water, not sure if it was real or not, meet other fishermen who have something slightly off about them, and there's a mist coming in to cover the whole lake.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't see Sony being willing to put that much money into someone else's IP for a multiplatform project. If Toyama wants to make a horror series again he has plenty of opportunities to create a new one without being forced to work with Konami to do so.
What if they just pay a huge fee to Konami to "rent" the IP on a 1 game contract where Konami isn't involved and just grabs the cash? Like Giorgio would say, "Is such a thing even possible?" ^^

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What if they just pay a huge fee to Konami to "rent" the IP on a 1 game contract where Konami isn't involved and just grabs the cash? Like Giorgio would say, "Is such a thing even possible?" ^^

Why would they do that? Silent Hill was not a huge seller even at its peak. It would be a monumental waste of money for very little guaranteed return, especially considering how critically damaged the franchise was the last time it came around.

Jan 15, 2020
At this point I lost all respect for Konami and all hope for the franchise. Additionally, there are plenty of indie devs that make horrors games that are on par with the Silent Hill franchise in terms of atmosphere, music, story and monsters. No hype from me for these rumors.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If Sony were going to loan an IP to Kojima to resuscitate it'd be Siren.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I think it goes without saying that in this fantasy scenario if Sony ponied up for budget/publishing it would be an exclusive deal (or, like SFV, PS5 + PC). SH also doesn't require a massive budget if done right. Like I said earlier, simply having the 'cult-classic' pedigree of the property console exclusive, even timed-console exclusive, on a new generation system could have long term benefits for the platform. Sony benefits because it's more ammunition to push PS5s. Konami benefits because they own the IP.

Also, Toyama isn't an independent contractor. He's en employee of SIE. If they say "we want you to reboot Silent Hill because we just spent money borrowing it from Konami", what choice would he have? He's had relative freedom to do projects he wants to do at Japan Studio. Could you see him just leaving that because he doesn't want to do what his employer asks? You (not YOU, you... figurative you :p) never know how these things work. Could be a respectful "lead THIS project for us and we'll give you free reign on your next project". Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how certain things have worked in the past (i.e. could Barlog, just as one example, have been told "come back, make GoW for us, and you get carte blanche after that"? Maybe, maybe not- but if not that one example I could see other situations materializing like that).

All of this is extremely speculative, though. In the end I suspect it's not going to be anything nearly this exciting or dramatic- if this is anything at all, haha.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
I really really want to get excited but after that new contra game I refuse to let myself get hyped up. I really really really hope this ends up a good game a lot of us been wanting it for a while now.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I would take a true remaster of the past games, but honestly at this point I doubt a team could give us a new game that is truly worth a shit, so I probably won't care about this in the end unfortunately.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it goes without saying that in this fantasy scenario if Sony ponied up for budget/publishing it would be an exclusive deal (or, like SFV, PS5 + PC). SH also doesn't require a massive budget if done right. Like I said earlier, simply having the 'cult-classic' pedigree of the property console exclusive, even timed-console exclusive, on a new generation system could have long term benefits for the platform. Sony benefits because it's more ammunition to push PS5s. Konami benefits because they own the IP.

Also, Toyama isn't an independent contractor. He's en employee of SIE. If they say "we want you to reboot Silent Hill because we just spent money borrowing it from Konami", what choice would he have? He's had relative freedom to do projects he wants to do at Japan Studio. Could you see him just leaving that because he doesn't want to do what his employer asks? You (not YOU, you... figurative you :p) never know how these things work. Could be a respectful "lead THIS project for us and we'll give you free reign on your next project". Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how certain things have worked in the past (i.e. could Barlog, just as one example, have been told "come back, make GoW for us, and you get carte blanche after that"? Maybe, maybe not- but if not that one example I could see other situations materializing like that).

All of this is extremely speculative, though. In the end I suspect it's not going to be anything nearly this exciting or dramatic- if this is anything at all, haha.

My point is I don't think Sony is going to "borrow" an IP from a third party. Silent Hill is not something so potentially sales-driving that it would be worth Sony assuming a massive amount of risk just to have a faded IP on their catalog for one game.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
You will get unused Silent Hills cutscenes in pachinko and that's it.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they do that? Silent Hill was not a huge seller even at its peak. It would be a monumental waste of money for very little guaranteed return, especially considering how critically damaged the franchise was the last time it came around.
Kojima. If anyone can make a guaranteed return on something it's him. Especially considering all of the possible marketing strategies they could employ for a Kojima-led horror game. The quality of the game and marketing campaign could be bonkers. I feel "The Return of Silent Hill" itself has some weight it can carry, if the product looks good, that is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kojima. If anyone can make a guaranteed return on something it's him. Especially considering all of the possible marketing strategies they could employ for a Kojima-led horror game. The quality of the game and marketing campaign could be bonkers. I feel "The Return of Silent Hill" itself has some weight it can carry, if the product looks good, that is.

Right, but Sony won't own the IP, Konami will make all the money, and Sony foots all the risk. Why bother with that when they can make their OWN horror IP with no need to worry about Konami or sharing money?