• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I saw the rumor a week or two ago and committed to pre-ordering a PS4 copy. I have AC6 on disc but am kind of tempted to pre-order/return a copy of 7 for Xbox One so I can get a digital code for 6 as well. Since I have the disc though, it's not really a priority for me like getting V for PS4 was. Can't wait to play V though, since I started the series with 6 (on,y questions is, start V or 7 first?).

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Don't take it personally, but it always irks me when people call Bandai Namco, "Namco Bandai".
You never see "Enix-Square", so I wonder why this keeps happening.

MWd4gEe.png

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Don't suppose you have a link to that? It'd be nice to get a direct source on this.
It's from Japanese interview
I will do quick translation on that part.

Q: Also, the Ace Combat 5 that is included as first-print bonus, do you have plans to sell it separately?

Everyone: No there is absolutely no plans to sell it separately.

Shimomoto: You can only get it through first-print bonus

Tamaki: Yes so please preorder it

Q: Oh it's important information that it's not going to be sold separately

Kono: It(AC5 port) was realized with such circumstances

https://www.gamebusiness.jp/article/2018/10/04/14966_4.html

Gong

Oct 25, 2017
Well fuck, I was maybe gonna pick it up later as I enjoy the series (4 is still one of my favourite games ever), but I didn't realise it would come with Squadron Leader on PS4 :o I'm broke AF just now, can I find the dough by the 18th next month?

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer for all you fans. I remember when Outrun Arcade was removed from the PS3-store because of the Ferrari license ending and you coudn't redownload the game if you had it deleted from the hard drive wich i unfortunaly had done at the time.
You can still get it but it is a bit of a pain to download.

If you go on your PS3 and go to the account download list (not through the store) then you will find it. The pain part depends on how long your download list because you will have to keep scrolling down the list to find it and you can't search for it.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Don't suppose you have a link to that? It'd be nice to get a direct source on this.

In addition, as someone on the last page quoted me from another thread: Bandai Namco have a long history of releasing pre-order only classic games. I can think of only a single one (possibly two) that they offered for sale later. In a case like this when there are actual real world licensing issues (e.g. it's not an anime property that they have the exclusive license to use), I think it's a safe bet to assume this game is pre-order only. Which is why I immediately pre-ordered after the (I believe Gamescom?) trailer. Bandai Namco have a history of doing many things western publishers would never do, and that western gamers may find obtuse or unfriendly, mainly due to their slavish adherence to Japanese copyright norms. As such, I feel safe in saying I'd honestly be shocked if it was ever available separately.

Last edited:

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
You can still get it but it is a bit of a pain to download.

If you go on your PS3 and go to the account download list (not through the store) then you will find it. The pain part depends on how long your download list because you will have to keep scrolling down the list to find it and you can't search for it.

The easiest way to find stuff like this without having to spend ages scrolling through your download list is to use the PSDLE extension. It re-presents all of the information on the PS Store page into a quick to search list, so you can just search for the delisted game and start it downloading.

Oct 27, 2017
The easiest way to find stuff like this without having to spend ages scrolling through your download list is to use the PSDLE extension. It re-presents all of the information on the PS Store page into a quick to search list, so you can just search for the delisted game and start it downloading.
Yeah I have been using this but I ran into an issue which has PS3 not detecting the downloads using this method the last time I tried it (it used to work before.) I am not sure how widespread this problem is though so it could just be a "me" issue.
18th of this month (day the game comes out).
You sure about this?

The OP says 2/18/2019 is the last day to get the offer if using digital. Atleast I hope so. If not then it will really suck.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm convinced this is all timed exclusive to preorder content. I am tempted to grab an AC6 physical on EB before the price goes up but maybe I should just hold off.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I have been using this but I ran into an issue which has PS3 not detecting the downloads using this method the last time I tried it (it used to work before.) I am not sure how widespread this problem is though so it could just be a "me" issue.

You sure about this?

The OP says 2/18/2019 is the last day to get the offer if using digital. Atleast I hope so. If not then it will really suck.

Pretty sure; that's why we're all in a tizzy over it—if it's only going to be available as a pre-order, and the game's coming out tomorrow...(a pre-order is only a pre-order until the game is already out).

Edit: I may need to do more research to be positive though!

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure; that's why we're all in a tizzy over it—if it's only going to be available as a pre-order, and the game's coming out tomorrow...(a pre-order is only a pre-order until the game is already out).

Yeah I see your point.

I think we might see something like Digimon Cyber Sleuth (same publisher) which had a special edition that had preorder bonus and was up for a month then taken down after that. Maybe it is the same thing here.

I am really hoping it is.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It's from Japanese interview
I will do quick translation on that part.

Q: Also, the Ace Combat 5 that is included as first-print bonus, do you have plans to sell it separately?

Everyone: No there is absolutely no plans to sell it separately.

Shimomoto: You can only get it through first-print bonus

Tamaki: Yes so please preorder it

Q: Oh it's important information that it's not going to be sold separately

Kono: It(AC5 port) was realized with such circumstances

https://www.gamebusiness.jp/article/2018/10/04/14966_4.html

Thanks for the translation. Nice to get to get direct confirmation on this.

In addition, as someone on the last page quoted me from another thread: Bandai Namco have a long history of releasing pre-order only classic games. I can think of only a single one (possibly two) that they offered for sale later. In a case like this when there are actual real world licensing issues (e.g. it's not an anime property that they have the exclusive license to use), I think it's a safe bet to assume this game is pre-order only. Which is why I immediately pre-ordered after the (I believe Gamescom?) trailer. Bandai Namco have a history of doing many things western publishers would never do, and that western gamers may find obtuse or unfriendly, mainly due to their slavish adherence to Japanese copyright norms. As such, I feel safe in saying I'd honestly be shocked if it was ever available separately.

Yeah, it was your post in the AC7 OT that reminded me of the DBZ games and sent me spinning off trying to get more info. I am definitely with you in thinking this is "it" for PS4 AC5.

18th of this month (day the game comes out).

You sure about this?

The official FAQ says you can get it until February 18th but the (North American at least) PSN listing only mentions preorders. That could change over on the 18th but it's not a 100% lock at the moment.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the translation. Nice to get to get direct confirmation on this.

Yeah, it was your post in the AC7 OT that reminded me of the DBZ games and sent me spinning off trying to get more info. I am definitely with you in thinking this is "it" for PS4 AC5.

The official FAQ says you can get it until February 18th but the (North American at least) PSN listing only mentions preorders. That could change over on the 18th but it's not a 100% lock at the moment.

Thanks! That's what threw me (as I'll be nabbing it via PSN).

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
On the other side of things the Xbox listing makes no mention of preorders. There is only a "limited time" qualifier listed for the promo.

For a limited time, purchase ACE COMBAT™ 7: SKIES UNKNOWN on Xbox One and receive ACE COMBAT 6® Fires of Liberation™ on Xbox 360, or Xbox One via Backward Compatibility. For Backward Compatibility information, see xbox.com/xbox-one/backward-compatibility.

May 22, 2018
Because of this thread I've now preordered a game I originally hadn't intended to buy until later in the year. The power of limited availability of a PS2 game I never got to play...

Thanks for the heads up!

SikSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that keeps running through my mind is... why? Why can't they keep selling AC5 and AC6 separately?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
AC5 and 6 were both fantastic games. Shame they're not gonna be sold standalone. I don't understand why.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
The thing that keeps running through my mind is... why? Why can't they keep selling AC5 and AC6 separately?

1.) The licenses for some of the aircraft that they originally had are expired, and perhaps they only have permission to release this as a limited item (for example, you can't get the DLC for 6 anymore unless you already own it).

2.) Like with many of their classic pre-order games, they want to give a premium to those that pre-order. Kind of like the 3DS ambassador program. It's an extra incentive for early adopters.

Sonimon

Oct 31, 2017
So with KH3 and No More Heroes coming out soon, I can't really afford to spend $60 on Ace Combat 7 right now, but I did want to pick up Ace Combat 5 when (or I guess if now) it was released separately (especially since it's hard to emulate), so I'm thinking of pulling the scumbag tactic of preordering the game from Amazon and then immediately returning it.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Preordered yesterday for ps4- first Ace Combat experience ever- and happy to hear 5 is a great one to play too. Also good to hear I can just grab a cheap-o used AC6 and throw it into an Xbone to play that.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Yeah this should really be in the OP. It may indeed be a ploy, but Bandai Namco have done this a fair bit. Even their non game DLC preorder bonuses are often never released for sale after the games are released.

Considering how quickly and drastically they usually drop the price of their games, it's probably a decent tactic to get early adopters.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
PS4, not even a contest.
AC6 is personally and generally the weakest in the series(comparatively still a good game but just isn't on the other's level)
I'd say Assualt Horizon is the weakest, but maybe you're just counting all the Strangereal ones. I still loved AC6, although the move to use in game assets for the major cutscenes were a bit jarring, considering the stiff animations and what not. The game also felt significantly shorter than previous AC games. I did like the whole thing where you were needed in different areas of the combat region, and how fast you could get there and help influenced how successful the mission was.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
BandaiNamco definitely are using fighting game strats in their marketing. This conditioning is annoying but I dont want to gamble on the consequences :(

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll pull the not-scumbag and flip my unoped PS4 and Xbox One copies on Ebay, take the loss so I can get the codes and not feel bad. With all the 1080p talk I want to play on PC.

Still have BB GCU so that helps.

I need strength though. So tempted to just buy PS4 digital so I can play tonight and try VR.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
So do we know if the code is in the box or is something the vendor's provide you after you've ordered? If it's in the box then people don't need to rush and can just buy the game as long as it's in the first run.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I ended up ordering the Xbox One version from Best Buy just to be safe.

Now my bases are covered.
AC6 is just 360 BC. Unless you're really itching to have a digital copy of it you can just pick up a disc copy later.

AC5 is the big one here, since it seems to be enhanced a bit over the original PS2 version, and it has a hard time running on emulators.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
So do we know if the code is in the box or is something the vendor's provide you after you've ordered? If it's in the box then people don't need to rush and can just buy the game as long as it's in the first run.
All the info we have is pointing to it not being in the box, it's vendor provided (i.e. on your receipt at a physical Gamestop, emailed if buying via online retailers, etc.)

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this should really be in the OP. It may indeed be a ploy, but Bandai Namco have done this a fair bit. Even their non game DLC preorder bonuses are often never released for sale after the games are released.

Considering how quickly and drastically they usually drop the price of their games, it's probably a decent tactic to get early adopters.

Thought I had Prophane33's AC7 OT post already there. Guess not.

I'll fix that now.

It comes from the vendor.

EBGames listing...
Online Customers: Code will be emailed within 3 business days after your order ships.
Store Customers:Code will be printed on your receipt at time of pickup.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Assualt Horizon is the weakest, but maybe you're just counting all the Strangereal ones. I still loved AC6, although the move to use in game assets for the major cutscenes were a bit jarring, considering the stiff animations and what not. The game also felt significantly shorter than previous AC games. I did like the whole thing where you were needed in different areas of the combat region, and how fast you could get there and help influenced how successful the mission was.
In the "general" I meant of Strangreal, "personally" I enjoyed Assault Horizon much more than 6 though still far below 5, 0 and 4

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuuuuuck I didn't wanna get this until later in the year but AC5 is legit one of my fav games

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I thought there was talk in this thread that work was done on AC5, but this seems to indicate it's just a PS2 port with upscaled resolution:
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news...der-bonus-is-not-a-remaster-says-bandai-namco

Speaking with DualShockers, Bandai Namco Producer and Brand Director Kazutoki Kono confirmed that Ace Combat 5 PS4 is not a remaster of any kind. Instead, it will be a port of the original PS2 version of the game and it will run natively on the PS4, albeit with an upscaled resolution. This might not be what some long-time fans of the franchise wanted to hear, but perhaps this might lead to an eventual remaster of Ace Combat 5 Unsung War in the future.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I thought there was talk in this thread that work was done on AC5, but this seems to indicate it's just a PS2 port with upscaled resolution:
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news...der-bonus-is-not-a-remaster-says-bandai-namco

We thought going off interviews this was going to be a straight PS2 Classic but the file size and media (especially in comparison with the PS2 classic emulator running AC5 via homebrew) shows that this is something more than that. To what extent is an unknown though, so far we can tell that the UI has been improved over the original game.

PS2 classics emulator on PS4 (via homebrew. Grey squares are an emulation issue).
boTkuGl.png

Official PS4 release.
34zYSuf.png

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
The real question for us EU people is: Will this be the superior 60hz Ntsc release or the 50hz Pal release? The latter isn't worth it. At least not for me.
This is all I'm thinking of. I'm wondering if I should go buy a digital copy of AC7 on US PSN right now and sell off my UK physical pre-order tomorrow so I can get Unsung War instead of just being stuck with a 50Hz Squadron Leader. I'd initially figured I'd just pick up The Unsung War at a later point on the store...