• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Update #3
PSN listing was updated to the following...

Purchase the ACE COMBAT™ 7: SKIES UNKNOWN Launch Edition, available until 2/18/2019, and get the following content:
- ACE COMBAT™ 7: SKIES UNKNOWN
- ACE COMBAT™ 5 The Unsung War
- Playable F-4E Phantom II aircraft
- 3 popular aircraft skins from past titles (Su-37: Yellow 13, F-14D: Razgriz, F-15C: Pixy)

So the game is confirmed to be up until February for digital purchases.

Update #2

Prophane33's post on how Bandai Namco has made preorder ports in the past and never re-released them as standalone products.

In addition, as someone on the last page quoted me from another thread: Bandai Namco have a long history of releasing pre-order only classic games. I can think of only a single one (possibly two) that they offered for sale later. In a case like this when there are actual real world licensing issues (e.g. it's not an anime property that they have the exclusive license to use), I think it's a safe bet to assume this game is pre-order only. Which is why I immediately pre-ordered after the (I believe Gamescom?) trailer. Bandai Namco have a history of doing many things western publishers would never do, and that western gamers may find obtuse or unfriendly, mainly due to their slavish adherence to Japanese copyright norms. As such, I feel safe in saying I'd honestly be shocked if it was ever available separately.

Xenosaga has translated the interview where the Ace Combat 7 team confirmed this port would not be sold later on.

It's from Japanese interview
I will do quick translation on that part.

Q: Also, the Ace Combat 5 that is included as first-print bonus, do you have plans to sell it separately?

Everyone: No there is absolutely no plans to sell it separately.

Shimomoto: You can only get it through first-print bonus

Tamaki: Yes so please preorder it

Q: Oh it's important information that it's not going to be sold separately

Kono: It(AC5 port) was realized with such circumstances

https://www.gamebusiness.jp/article/2018/10/04/14966_4.html

Update #1

Official FAQ via RROCKMAN. Seems digital buyers will have up until the 18th of February. Note the PS4 page makes no note of this so it's not certain one way or the other. The Xbox listing only mentions "a limited time" without specifically calling out preorders.

Pre-Order ACE COMBAT™ 7: SKIES UNKNOWN and get the following content:
- ACE COMBAT™ 5 The Unsung War
- Playable F-4E Phantom II aircraft
- 3 popular aircraft skins from past titles (Su-37: Yellow 13, F-14D: Razgriz, F-15C: Pixy)

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/games

Q: I purchased a digital copy of Ace Combat 7 for PS4 at a participating physical retail store or on their website after the game launched on 1/18/19. When and how will I receive the bonus content DLC and Ace Combat 5?
Participating retailers will provide a code that can be redeemed through the PlayStation Store for both the DLC and Ace Combat 5. The offer expires 2/18/19 or while supplies last. Please see https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationnetwork/redemption/ for more details on how to redeem your code.

Q: I purchased Ace Combat 7 digitally on the Xbox Store after January 18, 2019. Will I still be able to get Ace Combat 6?
Until February 18, 2019, purchasing ACE COMBAT™ 7: SKIES UNKNOWN on Xbox One and grants the user ACE COMBAT™ 6: Fires of Liberation™ on Xbox 360, or Xbox One via Backward Compatibility. The code for ACE COMBAT™ 6: Fires of Liberation™ will be delivered to your Xbox message center within 7-10 days of the expiration of this offer. You can redeem the code on your Xbox One console or at xbox.com/redeemcode. For Backward Compatibility information, see xbox.com/xbox-one/backward-compatibility.

Q: I purchased Ace Combat 7 on the PlayStation Store after January 18, 2019. Will I still be able to get Ace Combat 5?
Ace Combat 5 will be included with your purchase of Ace Combat 7 until February 18, 2019. It will be accessible via your PS4™ library. For more information see https://support.playstation.com/s/a...ion-Store-Purchases-to-the-PS4?language=en_US

Original Post

Reposting from the AC5 OT for better visibility:

I saw Warrior of Light mention that someone on PSN profiles posted that this game would not be sold standalone. I went to confirm the post and it's from the apparent Head Admin of the Ace Combat Wiki.

I visited Bandai Namco US's office and they informed me in no uncertain terms that they would not be able to sell AC5 in this form afterward. Hopefully you're right and that changes -- before I was told that, I was suspecting the same situation as Modern Warfare -- but they assured me it wasn't just marketing speak, there were actual issues with selling the game in the future.

https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/69973-is-the-ps2-remastered-version/

They also asked about other PS2 ports.

Ah man I really wish. Like I told you on stream, I asked Bandai Namco in person about it, and they said there's nothing in the immediate future.

This could also be the case for Ace Combat 6 which is being given out digitally, for the first time since it was delisted a couple years ago, as a promo for AC7. At least in that situation the existing disc will work rather than being completely unavailable like the PS4 port of AC5.

Note: looking at the early JPN release AC5 is more than the typical PS2 Classic release as well.

PS2 classics emulator on PS4 (via homebrew. Grey squares are an emulation issue).
boTkuGl.png

Official PS4 release.
34zYSuf.png

PS4 Gameplay

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wasn't there rumours of a HD collection of the PS2 games being released at some point?

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
If I pre order on Amazon right now will I still be eligible for getting AC5?

They are still advertising it.

KE3ygKD.png

Wasn't there rumours of a HD collection of the PS2 games being released at some point?

Apparently it was a mistake.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...aster-coming-to-ps4-soon/#4z0Jl8AJ1aUmLbdt.99

UPDATE: While we were able to track the Japanese software testing company listed in this job opening, they had clarified directly to us that there may have been a blunder made when this listing was posted, and this job is not related to the company at all.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
do only pre orders get AC5 (on PS4) or will you get it after its released? i'd prefer to buy after its released for games i'm not really sure i'd like

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood why these fucking people never remastered the PS2 trilogy.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

They do have a history of preorder only bonus titles.

Considering Namco Bandai's history of pre-order bonus games such as Super Robot Wars (Vita) , The 2nd Super Robot Wars (3DS), Dragon Ball Z Super Butouden (Switch) , and Super Butouden 2 (3DS), I think there's a very slim chance of this being released separately. HOWEVER, last month Super Gachapon World: SD Gundam X (Switch) was released as a standalone. So there could be a change in this trend.

Also I'm totally going to do a playthrough of this before AC7.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So, uh, would this also be the case for the BC AC6 on Xbox?

That would be ridiculously cruel to fans to force them to preorder across 2 different systems.
I've never played the series before, so I'm not preordering AC7 even though I'm interested. It'll suck if I like it but get locked out from buying past titles...

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
So, uh, would this also be the case for the BC AC6 on Xbox?

That would be ridiculously cruel to fans to force them to preorder across 2 different systems.
I've never played the series before, so I'm not preordering AC7 even though I'm interested. It'll suck if I like it but get locked out from buying past titles...
Digitally? Maybe. However, if you have the disc for AC6, it'll work just fine.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Don't take it personally, but it always irks me when people call Bandai Namco, "Namco Bandai".
You never see "Enix-Square", so I wonder why this keeps happening.

Sorry, carry on.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
It might be a license issue, these planes are real and their designs are owned by their actual design companies.

ALSO if you check Ace Combat 7s website, I believe it says AC5 is free until 1/18/19. I think anyway, can't double check at work ATM. I ordered my copy last night, but before I did, there is a FAQ section on their site that answers seemingly only questions about the inclusion of ac5 lol.

Recommend someone check there and post it since I can't ATM.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Don't take it personally, but it always irks me when people call Bandai Namco, "Namco Bandai".

Sorry, carry on.

Probably because Square had a stronger than Enix before the merger whereas Bandai and Namco are equally known. Not to mention they took some time for all their games to go with the Bandai Namco logo back then.

They were also previously known as Namco Bandai for a while overseas while Japan was always Bandai Namco.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, carry on.

Bad habits are hard to break.

ALSO if you check Ace Combat 7s website, I believe it says AC5 is free until 1/18/19. I think anyway, can't double check at work ATM. I ordered my copy last night, but before I did, there is a FAQ section on their site that answers seemingly only questions about the inclusion of ac5 lol.

Right but with the 18th also being the release date it might not cover the entire day. The 17th is the last guaranteed date.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I still have GCU. When I go to checkout, it only shows 2 items in cart, AC7 and the digital preorder bonus (which I assume are just the skins? It doesn't mention AC5 at all)

Edit: Nvm, I was on my phone. I went on my computer and the picture shows the picture with AC5 on it I think

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Damn, I'm glad I got my copy guaranteed. It's so weird that it won't be sold on its own later, and it's bizarre that the leg work was put into what is essentially an enhanced port ONLY as an incentive for AC7.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I still have GCU. When I go to checkout, it only shows 2 items in cart, AC7 and the digital preorder bonus (which I assume are just the skins? It doesn't mention AC5 at all)
It says it literally right there on AC7's page

"Master the skies with this Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown pre-order bonus for the PlayStation 4. Three additional aircraft skins are included to change your plane's look, and it comes with Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War for more hours of gameplay. Come out on top with this Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown pre-order bonus. "

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Is AC5 given at the time of preorder on Amazon, or is it given once the game releases?

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
It says it literally right there on AC7's page

"Master the skies with this Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown pre-order bonus for the PlayStation 4. Three additional aircraft skins are included to change your plane's look, and it comes with Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War for more hours of gameplay. Come out on top with this Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown pre-order bonus. "
At least in Canada Best Buy emails preorder codes.

The US page is advertising it so it should be good.

881mj6D.png

Sorry ya'll I was on my phone lol I couldn't see it very clearly.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sorry but this is absolutely impossible. They did a lot of work on the game, to the point its closer to a remaster rather than a PS2 port.

They would not work so hard on it if they wouldn't be able to sell it.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
For Xbox players, when AC6 goes BC you should still be able to access the game if you have a physical copy. If you're not gonna preorder AC7 for Xbox, your next option is to buy the 360 game on disc.

I reckon it should be cheap (^^)

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Thats a pity, 5 is one of my favourite games ever.
I still hate pc is not getting 5 nor 6 (nor anything in its place, and coming at a later date). Way to treat like shit your costumers, bandai namco.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Licensing shenanigans is such bullshit sometimes.

Last edited:

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Yeah bullshit. They wouldn't have ported it if they weren't gonna be able to sell it at some point.

I could see them putting it on Steam at some point here. There was that one SAO game they made a pre-order bonus on PC, but now they are selling it separate... So there is precedent.

Doesn't make sense to go through all this trouble otherwise...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry, carry on.
They were literally Namco Bandai until 2014 though: https://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/24/namco-bandai-changing-name-to-bandai-namco

I've been annoyed by their name for ages though, so I've always just smooshed the two into Bamco, and no one seems to get confused.

As I mentioned in the other AC5 thread, I'm desperately hoping my Amazon AU preorder, which has no mention of any bonuses, includes a download code (since EB and JB both are).