• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
This was shared by Smitch on the Sony OT

NCsoft is developing a new game utilizing the IP of Sony's flagship game franchise 'Horizon'. NC and Sony are promoting IP (intellectual property) collaboration to target the global game market, and the collaboration between the two companies is finally completed, drawing attention to whether NC will succeed in targeting the global market by removing its focus on 'Lineage' IP.

On the 8th, a source familiar with Sony and NC said, "NC and NC have tentatively agreed to promote a business partnership to create a new game using Sony's promising game IP. NCsoft's internal development team is making it," he said

The source said, "After starting game development, discussions are underway in the form of 'pre-development and post-negotiation' in which the two companies discuss collaboration and business partnership. There is a possibility that it will lead to a comprehensive partnership such as development," he added.

Some info on the dev team

It has been confirmed that the 'H' seed development team under the Lineage IP Business Headquarters is developing a new 'Horizon' IP within NCsoft. H Seed is recruiting developers to participate in the project through job postings. As the partnership with Sony has not yet been confirmed as an 'official', job announcements are made in the form of 'Project H developer recruitment'.

A 'seed' is an organizational unit attached to the development team in the early stages of production at NC. When production is on a certain track, it is promoted to 'Camp', and support such as hiring of human resources is provided in earnest on the premise that the game is released.

Some of their previous work

H Seed is known to have created a new project using the IP of the box office 'Guild Wars' produced by Arenanet, NC's North American development corporation. At that time, it was organized as one of the new development organizations under the name of 'GW' Seed, but as the development of new projects using the 'Guild Wars' IP stopped, it was organized as the Lineage IP Business Headquarters.

The Lineage IP Business Headquarters is an organization composed of the 'Lineage' PC game and the 'Lineage M' and 'Lineage W' development teams. He is in charge of development and service of games using IP of NCsoft's flagship franchise 'Lineage'. Vice President Lee Seong-gu, known as the 'Lineage Artisan', is in charge of the headquarters. Choi Hong-young, who was in charge of the development of 'Lineage W', is in charge of the development of 'Project H'.

Wraps up by saying:

NCsoft has oligopolized the MMRORPG market in Korea and Taiwan based on the 'Lineage' IP. Although it is forming a fandom with high cohesive power, new works other than 'Lineage' IP did not live up to expectations, and there was a limit that it could not use its power except in the domestic market and some overseas markets such as Taiwan.

Unlike the original plan, the new 'TL' was decided to be presented as a purely creative IP that does not use the 'Lineage' IP. have. Collaboration with Sony is also accepted in the same context.

Tranlation done by Google Translator

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this ain't it, going full milk on this franchise apparently with all they have in dev

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Im guessing thats a mobile project? The Online project at Guerrilla has been in development fof years but the report suggests this was just signed.

Aug 19, 2022
I can't imagine Horizon fans would be interested in an MMO and new MMOs have a hard time gathering an audience regardless of IP. But uh best of luck to em?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I am... cautious about this.

Like for me the biggest thing is how much sway Sony has. Like are they going to let this turn out like so many Korean MMO's (P2W hellscape), or is still going to reigned in by Sony?

If I load up the Horizon MMO and there is an upgrade system that is clearly designed to pay- I'm out.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Im guessing thats a mobile project? The Online project at Guerrilla has been in development fof years but the report suggests this was just signed.
Quote from Hermen (via Famitsu - translated with google) " As for mobile, we believe that developing titles that are suitable for mobile and realizing cross-play between console and mobile is also an important initiative. "

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Guild Wars 2 with a Horizon theme could be great

I can't imagine Horizon fans would be interested in an MMO and new MMOs have a hard time gathering an audience regardless of IP. But uh best of luck to em?

I think as long as the spinoff projects leave the core Aloy story alone, they could be awesome. Make it just in a different part of the world.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
After playing Forbidden West, I really don't see that much milking potential with this IP but what do I know? I can't see it being anything other than mech Monster Hunter (which is probably what Sony wants). They certainly dragged the sequel down with that grindy bullshit.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, let's at least get the third main title out first. The Assassin's Creed strategy is not what you should do.

...How is this the AC strategy? lol.

You mean the series that released a game every year versus the series that has had 2 games with 5 years apart??? How is that like AC?

Aug 19, 2022
Guild Wars 2 with a Horizon theme could be great

I think as long as the spinoff projects leave the core Aloy story alone, they could be awesome. Make it just in a different part of the world.
I guess I'm imagining like a standard MMO but if it plays similar enough to Horizon with teams taking down robo dinos, then yeah, I can see that gaining traction.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I assume either this is a mobile version of the Horizon Online game from the leak? Or it is that game and SImon LaRouche's team is working on something else at GG.

Also, depending on the context, a HZD remaster might be to bring those assets up to date for the Horizon Online game, as they may be using certain environments in the title (or the whole map in general).

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
After playing Forbidden West, I really don't see that much milking potential with this IP but what do I know? I can't see it being anything other than mech Monster Hunter (which is probably what Sony wants). They certainly dragged the sequel down with that grindy bullshit.

on the contrary, i think there's still lots to do with the world/universe/IP they just kinda fumbled in making Forbidden West more like an expansion (great game, just not the direction i think the series needed next)

not that a korean MMO is the right way to go either but i'm sure its intended for asia

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Wow Sony is all-in on the Horizon universe

Which is kind of odd to me because I don't think that universe is anything special

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think the big thing is that, yes, Horizon's combat isn't perfect and can use further tweaks and improvement... But if this comes out and plays like a Tab Target MMO, it will die 100%. You won't get many people who played 1 and 2 to play this if it plays completely differently.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I wonder how it's going to play in an mmo setting.

It will surely be quite a deviation from the gameplay in the mainline series.

I still think that GG's second team is working on an online hunter game that will utilise the combat more closely to the main game while this mmo will be it's completely own thing in that regard.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
the more the studios behind those 12 GAAS by Sony are made by studios I don't care about, the better

but I fear this is just a support studio for Guerrilla's MP game

Humam

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely a mobile first game that might also be cross platform with Ps5/PC. These job listings include a Korean Translator and in the description it says for a mobile game and these are all for Amsterdam which is where Guerrilla Games is, so it does check out if it is a Horizon game. It's probably also early in development as these job listings only got posted last month.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...ibly-cross-gen-with-ot31.629323/post-95355045

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely a mobile first game that might also be cross platform with Ps5/PC. These job listings include a Korean Translator and in the description it says for a mobile game and these are all for Amsterdam which is where Guerrilla Games is, so it does check out if it is a Horizon game.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pl...ibly-cross-gen-with-ot31.629323/post-95355045

Hmm... That makes me think that this might be different from that "Horizon Online" we heard about for PS5/PC.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Hmm... That makes me think that this might be different from that "Horizon Online" we heard about for PS5/PC.

It might be a mobile version of the game, like how CoD Mobile is different to on console/PC. It's too vague to parse as everything we know about it is from that random excel spreadsheet leak that didn't specify anything beyond a working title, job listings, or this report.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't they just make a co-op Monster Hunter clone and be done with it? Why make everything BUT THAT?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Wish Sony would stop milking this franchise but whatever

2 games, 5 years apart. With like, 10 issues of a comic. Though plans for more stuff have been announced, nothing else has released. How is this milking?

What is it about Horizon that just makes people say the weirdest things.

It might be a mobile version of the game, like how CoD Mobile is different to on console/PC. It's too vague to parse as everything we know about it is from that random excel spreadsheet leak that didn't specify anything beyond a working title, job listings, or this report.

That's possible too. I am kind of worried about that tho- cause I want them to go all out rather than be held back by what could be done on mobile. But I don't know how you transfer the gameplay of Horizon to mobile without changing it a ton.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Why can't they just make a co-op Monster Hunter clone and be done with it? Why make everything BUT THAT?

The GI article makes it sound like it might be:

According to VGC, two job postings on Guerrilla Games' career webpage stand out the most: senior social systems designer and senior games writer. The former applicant needs to "[Report] to the Lead Game Designer [and] work within a core team of multiple designers focused on social systems and player engagements ... engage players in social interactions to create lasting relationships; where compatible players can create Guild-like groups to explore together." And the latter role might not seem immediately unique in any way. Still, a part of the description reads as follows: "Possess extensive knowledge of stories and narrative design in open-world RPG games, online games, and MMORPGs."

The MMORPG line is just from "related experience", which doesn't necessarily indicate genre, just suitable skills for the role. Could be a team/guild like system for hunting robots with season content/stories rather than a perpetual MMORPG. It's too vague to parse.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon is really well suited to being an MMO. You can have advanced technology substitute for magic, there's built in narrative conceits for dungeons, you can have enemy variety as varied as the animal kingdom.

I think It's Sony's most versatile IP so this makes sense to me.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
That's possible too. I am kind of worried about that tho- cause I want them to go all out rather than be held back by what could be done on mobile. But I don't know how you transfer the gameplay of Horizon to mobile without changing it a ton.

It's either a separate mobile version like CoD Mobile, or the same underlying game across multiple devices like Genshin Impact and Fortnite who have done it very well.