1. Raylan

Raylan
    Member OP

A new “Erebus” platform has popped up in the latest release of Unreal Engine 4 which could very well be Sony’s next console – the Playstation 5.

Erebus was found as a new platform in the engine’s supported platform list.

[​IMG]

In Greek mythology, Erebus /ˈɛrɪbəs, -əb-/, also Erebos (Greek: Ἔρεβος, “deep darkness, shadow”), was often conceived as a primordial deity, representing the personification of darkness; for instance, Hesiod’s Theogony identifies him as one of the first five beings in existence, born of Chaos.

Source

After Orbis (PS4), Morpheus (PS VR), Neo (PS4 Pro), now Erebus?

Mod Edit:

2. Zaki2407

Zaki2407

Or probably Dreamcast 2?

3. Smiles

Smiles

welp I for one cannot wait to get in on this I want to retire my PS4 skipping the pro so make it soon Sony

4. FOOLS, it's Vita 2...

Okay, maybe I'm the fool

5. The time has come.......

6. Raylan

Raylan
    Member OP

PocketStation 2 is more likely.

7. Abriael

Abriael

Sounds like a lot of baseless speculation. It could be literally anything.

It's worth mentioning that speculation and rumors are two entirely different things.

Also resetera -> internet -> Resetera.

8. Mr. Pointy

Mr. Pointy

It's clearly Vita 2.

YOU THOUGHT THIS POST WAS SARCASM, JOJO! BUT IT WAS SERIOUS!

9. inner-G

inner-G

All aboard the hype Erebus!

10. z0m3le

z0m3le

Sony's only move into the portable realm is via a smart phone, like a vita inspired xperia play. That could very realistically become a valid platform for developers.

11. Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

12. Martl

Martl

Does this mean The Darkness 3 is launch titel?

13. patapon

patapon

Can't wait for the Erebus Hype Train. Let's Go!

14. gofreak

gofreak

I don't think it's a Sony console.

It's used in a boolean evaluation for determining if cross console multiplayer should be allowed - whereby PS4 and Erebus or PS4 and Xbox should not be mixed. If it was PS5, presumably PS4 and PS5 could crossplay...

So I think it's something else. It could be another Microsoft console, or perhaps Google Yeti... another Nintendo console seems unlikely at this stage.

---

The psuedocode for not allowing crossplay on PS4 is:

if the existing platform is ps4, and a console in the party is either Xbox or Erebus

or the existing platform is Xbox or Erebus and a console in the party is PS4

Then don't allow crossplay, basically.

15. kitsuneyo

kitsuneyo

It sounds fairly plausible to me.

I don't see how this works given Switch and Xbox can crossplay and both are on this list. Edit - also Xbox and Windows

Edit again -

I love this comment on the linked article.

16. EkStatiC

EkStatiC

Cool name for a prototype.

17. -shadow-

-shadow-

Yes.
    Yes!
    YES!

18. Beatle

Beatle

It has BUS in it, clearly hinting at the Switch 2.0

19. Patitoloco

Patitoloco

Hell yeah, the times of Orbis and Durango are coming back, this is the most fun part of the generations.

20. Evergarden

Evergarden

Let’s hope it’s Vita 2. It can reborn from its ashes and smile upon us once again.

21. Korigama

Korigama

Persona 3 HD remake inbound?

22. Xeontech

Xeontech

[​IMG] Erebos!!!

23. gofreak

gofreak

The list with definitions includes everything (PS4 also). I means the boolean evaluation further down:

Code:
    const bool bPS4SeenOtherConsole = (
                ((PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)) && ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)) ||
                (PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4) && (ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)))
            );
    The use of that bool later boils down to, basically:

if the existing platform is ps4, and a console in the party is either Xbox or Erebus

or the existing platform is Xbox or Erebus and a console in the party is PS4

Then don't allow crossplay, basically.

There are other things controlling crossplay, but that's one of the rules involved.

Maybe I've read that wrong, if so, feel free to correct.

24. Bonejack

Bonejack

Could also be the Google thing, or maybe something from Apple. It's literally just a codename without any further information.

25. danmaku

danmaku

26. KainXVIII

KainXVIII

Ouya X!

27. Strings

Strings

If they don't call that Trinity, then I'll be pissed off.

28. Noisepurge

Noisepurge

Better make a hype check thread for it!

29. kitsuneyo

kitsuneyo

I see what you mean, but why doesn't it mention Switch? Also given the early stage Erebus is probably at, I don't think this rules anything out.

30. Maxina

Maxina

Dead on arrival confirmed.

31. patapon

patapon

Lol

32. Mitchman

Mitchman

Test 2 sounds like its a custom devkit pc for epic.

33. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trails of Cold Steel 1-4 PS5 collection confirmed.

34. Cugel

Cugel

I was about to buy a PS4 pro this afternoon... should I skip ?

35. stryke

stryke

Where's the rumour part

36. Dictator

Dictator
    Digital Foundry Verafied

Erebus forever ruined the Emperor of Mankind's dream in his bid to make Horus fall to the ruinous powers.
    :(

37. Kirblar

Kirblar
    Banned Member

Most stuff gets cross gen releases around a new gen launch and the big guns don't hit for a year+ out, so even if it's late 2019 you're perfectly fine buying in on PS4 now if you don't have one yet.

38. unapersson

unapersson

It could just be a way of stopping people accidentally partying up with friends on PS5 while it isn't supposed to exist yet.

39. Stormkyleis

Stormkyleis

It's the Wii U. They're bringing it back.

40. John Bender

John Bender

If you can wait 27 months for the PS5, then maybe =)

41. Riou

Riou

Haha, Erebonia was my first thought too.

42. gcwy

gcwy

N-Gage 2?

43. Hjod

Hjod

No, I wouldn't skip it, it'll be a long while before PS5 gets released.

44. Oticon

Oticon

Hmm, PS4 was called Orbis before it was officially announced... so I’m gonna go with a maybe?

45. Virtual boy 2.

46. gofreak

gofreak

There are a few booleans used to determine if crossplay should be allowed... one is 'bEveryoneAllowsCrossplay', which I guess will be automatically false if a platform is PS4. That would handle Switch/PS4 mixes, or anything/ps4 mixes.

The bPS4SeenOtherConsole bool might seem redundant in that case, but maybe it was added at another point and is still being maintained for some reason. Maybe it's a double lock on PS4 definitely never ever mixing with certain other consoles. (If that were the case it would again lean on it definitely not being a Sony console).

You're right in that it's very difficult to read much into this...but if you were going to read anything into it, it might indicate the opposite of it being a Sony console.

The other possibility, based on the 'TST2' name, is that this is just a dummy/test thing. However, other commits that make reference to Erebus talk about specific performance savings 'on erebus', which might suggest specific hardware rather than just a software branch. Again though...we're extrapolating a bit.

But if it's an actual machine and if we're going to extrapolate, I'd say signs point away from it being a Sony machine.

47. Can't trust a platform indentifiying itself as darkness.

48. Kilic95

Kilic95

Damn, that’s a pretty cool name.

49. pswii60

pswii60

If something as trivial as this is making you think twice then you probably should skip it.

50. KOHIPEET

KOHIPEET

Interesting….
    Also for some reason while reading TST2, I immediately associated to something like TestSTation2.