• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It could just be a way of stopping people accidentally partying up with friends on PS5 while it isn't supposed to exist yet.

It would need a more general bool than that...which I presume is enforced somewhere else if this was some secret box that shouldn't cross play with others. Every party member has a bool that says if crossplay is allowed, so I guess in that case, for that platform, they'd just set it to false.

But this extra boolean is very specifically about just making sure PS4 doesn't cross play with a Xbox or 'Erebus'. It seems like maybe a slightly redundant, 'extra' check. You could read into that what you will, but if it's deliberate, a extra mutual exclusion between those two platforms and PS4, I'd say it points away from it being a Sony machine.

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Naughty Dog releasing a Last of Us game, PS5 remaster imminent
Rockstar releasing a new game, PS5 remaster imminent

PS5 confirmed.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
What a creepy name! Wtf! Erebus is like pure evil in Greek mythology!
Like the enemy of everything!
Crazy they would choose such a name....

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
A new "Erebus" platform has popped up in the latest release of Unreal Engine 4 which could very well be Sony's next console – the Playstation 5.

Erebus was found as a new platform in the engine's supported platform list.

erebusr0d3b.png

In Greek mythology, Erebus /ˈɛrɪbəs, -əb-/, also Erebos (Greek: Ἔρεβος, "deep darkness, shadow"), was often conceived as a primordial deity, representing the personification of darkness; for instance, Hesiod's Theogony identifies him as one of the first five beings in existence, born of Chaos.

Source

After Orbis (PS4), Morpheus (PS VR), Neo (PS4 Pro), now Erebus?

I associate Erebus more readily with 3 and/or 6 than I do with 5.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
There are a few booleans used to determine if crossplay should be allowed... one is 'bEveryoneAllowsCrossplay', which I guess will be automatically false if a platform is PS4. That would handle Switch/PS4 mixes, or anything/ps4 mixes.

The bPS4SeenOtherConsole bool might seem redundant in that case, but maybe it was added at another point and is still being maintained for some reason. Maybe it's a double lock on PS4 definitely never ever mixing with certain other consoles. (If that were the case it would again lean on it definitely not being a Sony console).

You're right in that it's very difficult to read much into this...but if you were going to read anything into it, it might indicate the opposite of it being a Sony console.

The other possibility, based on the 'TST2' name, is that this is just a dummy/test thing. However, other commits that make reference to Erebus talk about specific performance savings 'on erebus', which might suggest specific hardware rather than just a software branch. Again though...we're extrapolating a bit.

But if it's an actual machine and if we're going to extrapolate, I'd say signs point away from it being a Sony machine.
Thanks for the thorough analysis :)

Oct 25, 2017
This shit BETTER be bc.

I gave them a pass with the ps4.

No more.

Ps5 better be able to fucking play every ps4 game. Don't fucking dare play cute.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
This means instead of a hype train, ResetEra's conveyance to all things related to PS5 news must be an EraBus

ThePhoque

Jun 6, 2018
Novigrad
I don't think that the new Playstation console's Code Name popping up in different places is a far fetch thing from now on, Since there are Lots and lots of Rumors suggesting that the 9th Gen starts Around the end of 2019 / Q1 2020 !

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna float something.

Many of the commits referencing erebus (to non public source files) reference objects and variables prefixed with 'FNVN'.

NVN is a Nvidia API. Indeed I believe it's the API used on Switch.

FNVN. NVN.

Hmm.

:eyes:

I don't know if 'NVN' or variants thereof are Nintendo exclusive, but perhaps this points to erebus being Nvidia hardware at least. If that's the case it would definitely not be Sony hardware... but could be either Nintendo or MS potentially. Or someone else entirely.

Source:

Code:
Integrated multiple RHI optimizations from Erebus branch

Change 4114412 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/05 18:02:15

RHIT optimization: cache FNVNUniformBuffer address, as it's accessed very often and never changes.

Change 4115221 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/06 07:45:43

RHIT optimization: replaced FNVNTempBlockManager::Get() singleton pattern with a global to avoid static overhead in frequent API calls, leading to ~0.3ms saving.

Change 4115225 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/06 07:46:44

RHIT optimization: added a non-reference-counted version of FBoundShaderStateKey that's used as TMap key, avoiding RC overhead during map lookups, leading to ~0.4ms saving on Erebus.

Full RC FBoundShaderStateKey is stored as in FCachedBoundShaderStateLink, which ensures that object lifetimes are not affected by this change.

Change 4116317 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/06 15:01:00

RHIT optimization: added bound shader state history buffer and vertex declaration cache (similar to other RHIs) to improve GBoundShaderStateCache hit rate. ~1ms saving on Erebus.

Change 4129554 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/14 07:26:54

RHIT optimization: improved FNVNUniformBuffer::GetSize() and FNVNMultiBufferResource::GetPoolMemory() cache line utilization. Saves ~0.6ms on Erebus.

- Cache LayoutConstantBufferSize inside FNVNUniformBuffer
    - Cache MemoryPool ptr and offset inside FNVNMultiBufferResource, taking advantage of the hot code path in GetPoolMemory()
    - Renamed GetPoolMemory() to GetPoolAndOffset()
    - Added few asserts to validate caching assumptions in dev builds

#jira UE-60263
#rb Ben.Woodhouse

[CL 4129708 by Yuriy ODonnell in 4.20 branch]

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I was about to buy a PS4 pro this afternoon... should I skip ?

I say go ahead. Play what you want to for now, then sell up before the PS5 drops or trade-in the Pro when it launches.

Personally, I'll be buying a Pro when Shenmue 3 releases, upcoming consoles don't really factor, as long as the current ones can play the games I want well.

Isambard

Nov 14, 2017
So it shares a name with one of the wrecked ships from Sir John Franklin's lost Arctic expedition?

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna float something.

Many of the commits referencing erebus (to non public source files) reference objects and variables prefixed with 'FNVN'.

FNVN. NVN.

Hmm.

I don't know if 'NVN' or variants thereof are Nintendo exclusive, but perhaps this points to erebus being Nvidia hardware at least. If that's the case it would definitely not be Sony hardware... but could be either Nintendo or MS potentially. Or someone else entirely.

Source:

Code:
Integrated multiple RHI optimizations from Erebus branch

Change 4114412 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/05 18:02:15

RHIT optimization: cache FNVNUniformBuffer address, as it's accessed very often and never changes.

Change 4115221 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/06 07:45:43

RHIT optimization: replaced FNVNTempBlockManager::Get() singleton pattern with a global to avoid static overhead in frequent API calls, leading to ~0.3ms saving.

Change 4115225 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/06 07:46:44

RHIT optimization: added a non-reference-counted version of FBoundShaderStateKey that's used as TMap key, avoiding RC overhead during map lookups, leading to ~0.4ms saving on Erebus.

Full RC FBoundShaderStateKey is stored as in FCachedBoundShaderStateLink, which ensures that object lifetimes are not affected by this change.

Change 4116317 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/06 15:01:00

RHIT optimization: added bound shader state history buffer and vertex declaration cache (similar to other RHIs) to improve GBoundShaderStateCache hit rate. ~1ms saving on Erebus.

Change 4129554 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/14 07:26:54

RHIT optimization: improved FNVNUniformBuffer::GetSize() and FNVNMultiBufferResource::GetPoolMemory() cache line utilization. Saves ~0.6ms on Erebus.

- Cache LayoutConstantBufferSize inside FNVNUniformBuffer
    - Cache MemoryPool ptr and offset inside FNVNMultiBufferResource, taking advantage of the hot code path in GetPoolMemory()
    - Renamed GetPoolMemory() to GetPoolAndOffset()
    - Added few asserts to validate caching assumptions in dev builds

#jira UE-60263
#rb Ben.Woodhouse

[CL 4129708 by Yuriy ODonnell in 4.20 branch]

if this is really Nintendo we will have a long wait for confirmation but why have they gone to the darkside for codename?

Oct 25, 2017
If it really turns out to be something Nvidia related, this could possibly be the next iteration of the Shield. A beefier Shield that can run UE4 based games maybe?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's possible. Definitely fits with the codwwords Sony uses for its consoles.

But that's all we are getting I guess. Just a project name. Not the specs, zilch, nothing.

Well, then again I'm pretty sure people are now looking if the codeword appears anywhere else

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Source

After Orbis (PS4), Morpheus (PS VR), Neo (PS4 Pro), now Erebus?
Orbis was the codename of PS4, it's not greek, its just a latin word meaning eye socket. Neo and Morpheus made sense cause of the Matrix movie reference that is dear to Sony since PS2 days, it just happens that those were based on greek mythology

On the other hand Scorpio is actually also based on greek mythology and has several stories around it. And I would add that both names are in the same vein: Scorpio means death, Erebus means darkness.

Why this insistence of wanting this to be the PS5 codename ? Cause Sony didn't officially announce their next console, Microsoft did so that would make sense that they begin to send devkits. Particularly when they actually sorely need a new generation considering their current worldwide position against PS4. Sony don't need to haste for a new generation.

In the end a name is just a name (as far as we know it could be a temporary name given by Epic) but the UE4 code is clear: Erebus is to be logically treated the same as XB1 in their crossplay relation against PS4. So erebus can't be PS5 otherwise they would have grouped it with PS4, not against.

It's good to be excited for PS5 but almost every clues we have point to Erebus being the codename of Scarlet or another Microsot hardware in UE4. And again, when I read TST2 I immediately thought XBX2. Like if they simply replaced T with X and S with B in an attempt to conceal the real name.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
With the talk about Sony basically monopolizing AMD's attentions with next-gen SoC work, I've had a feeling for a while that MS could pivot back to nVidia for their next xbox. That would have risks, but it's been hard to see how MS fits into the AMD picture if Sony is really so entrenched and resource-hungry with their design work at the moment (unless MS is happy to go with a more straightforward spin-off).

A new Nintendo machine can never be counted out either. They've a habit of springing things on the market somewhat unexpectedly.

A machine that is nVidia's own? Maybe.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The fact that they are using the network name instead of the console for both Ps4 and Xbox one sounds like a greater deal to me, would imply forward compatibility on the cards for both (unless they used XBL and PSN since the beginning)

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
well we Know Scarlet Is the Next XBox So Maybe Erebus is PS5

But Still 2019 Is too early and Yet Sony Have 4 games in the way the need to release it before moving on to the next Gen

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
well we Know Scarlet Is the Next XBox So Maybe Erebus is PS5

But Still 2019 Is too early and Yet Sony Have 4 games in the way the need to release it before moving on to the next Gen
There is no console coming in 2019... just because some codenames appear doesnt mean its far in progress... could be very very early... basicly more in line for 2020

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Gonna float something.

FNVN. NVN.

Hmm.

It' Vita 2, :D

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Erebus is such a cool name, I'm a sucker for a new powerful platform, do it Sony! I'm sure Microsoft will be the first to release their console though.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Nice. Can't wait to see what they do with new consoles.

Weird place with RTX though. Almost want them to wait a bit longer and wait to get some RT tech on board. Which is the exact opposite of how I felt last time.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018

What is that TST2 refer to (test 2 perhaps) if it was the playstation 5 shouldnt that also say psn?

I think that it stands for the nvidia shield tv for the chinese market if the earlier nvidia connection is true remember nintendo is now launching games for the shield tv in china.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
The thing that makes me wonder if either 'EREBUS' or 'OTHER' are related to Sony or Microsoft is the screenshot above listing online platform names. Surely both online platform names would fall under 'PSN' and 'XBL'? Why would online need to be separated in UE4 like this anyway?

Admittedly the lines of text in these screenshots baffle me, but still.

gofreak

I find the Nvidia link much more intriguing!

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Last edited:

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
The list with definitions includes everything (PS4 also). I means the boolean evaluation further down:

Code:
const bool bPS4SeenOtherConsole = (
            ((PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)) && ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)) ||
            (PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4) && (ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)))
        );

The use of that bool later boils down to, basically:

if the existing platform is ps4, and a console in the party is either Xbox or Erebus

or the existing platform is Xbox or Erebus and a console in the party is PS4

Then don't allow crossplay, basically.

There are other things controlling crossplay, but that's one of the rules involved.

Maybe I've read that wrong, if so, feel free to correct.
bPS4SeenOtherConsole = (
((PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)) && ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)) ||
(PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4) && (ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)))
);

I think you have it wrong.

I would think, given the name, that bPS4SeenOtherConsole means "is PS4 seen by other console" (or maybe PS4 can see other console)

But regardless, bPS4SeenOtherConsole is TRUE in all the following situations:
Party Platform is Xbox or Erebus AND existing platform is PS4
Party Platform is Xbox or Erebus AND party platform is PS4 AND existing platform is Xbox
Party Platform is Xbox or Erebus AND existing platform is Erebus.

Even if I have the above somewhat wrong due to all the parenthesis going around and what has precedence over what here, I am fairly confident that the general gist is indeed that this actually describes all situations in which PS4 will be seen by other consoles, and may actually mean PS5 will have crossplay with PS4 and Xbox (though possibly other consoles as well), and this describes in which cases even PS4 will be seen by others .

Last edited:

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Has anyone contacted Yuriy O'Donnell on Twitter to see if he will spill the beans? :D

I'm not sure it is the PS5 now after reading through all the comments.

I think MS is going with nVidia next-gen (so they can make use of RTX and DXR (DirectX Ray Tracing API) and it's for the Scarlet boxes. I don't think Sony will be making use of ray-tracing at all but it wouldn't surprise me if MS do as that will be a big difference in the two systems.