• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna float something.

Many of the commits referencing erebus (to non public source files) reference objects and variables prefixed with 'FNVN'.

NVN is a Nvidia API. Indeed I believe it's the API used on Switch.

FNVN. NVN.

Hmm.

:eyes:

I don't know if 'NVN' or variants thereof are Nintendo exclusive, but perhaps this points to erebus being Nvidia hardware at least. If that's the case it would definitely not be Sony hardware... but could be either Nintendo or MS potentially. Or someone else entirely.

Source:

Code:
Integrated multiple RHI optimizations from Erebus branch

Change 4114412 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/05 18:02:15

RHIT optimization: cache FNVNUniformBuffer address, as it's accessed very often and never changes.

Change 4115221 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/06 07:45:43

RHIT optimization: replaced FNVNTempBlockManager::Get() singleton pattern with a global to avoid static overhead in frequent API calls, leading to ~0.3ms saving.

Change 4115225 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/06 07:46:44

RHIT optimization: added a non-reference-counted version of FBoundShaderStateKey that's used as TMap key, avoiding RC overhead during map lookups, leading to ~0.4ms saving on Erebus.

Full RC FBoundShaderStateKey is stored as in FCachedBoundShaderStateLink, which ensures that object lifetimes are not affected by this change.

Change 4116317 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/06 15:01:00

RHIT optimization: added bound shader state history buffer and vertex declaration cache (similar to other RHIs) to improve GBoundShaderStateCache hit rate. ~1ms saving on Erebus.

Change 4129554 by [email protected]_stream6 on 2018/06/14 07:26:54

RHIT optimization: improved FNVNUniformBuffer::GetSize() and FNVNMultiBufferResource::GetPoolMemory() cache line utilization. Saves ~0.6ms on Erebus.

- Cache LayoutConstantBufferSize inside FNVNUniformBuffer
    - Cache MemoryPool ptr and offset inside FNVNMultiBufferResource, taking advantage of the hot code path in GetPoolMemory()
    - Renamed GetPoolMemory() to GetPoolAndOffset()
    - Added few asserts to validate caching assumptions in dev builds

#jira UE-60263
#rb Ben.Woodhouse

[CL 4129708 by Yuriy ODonnell in 4.20 branch]

Good find, the similarity between NVN and FNVN is indeed suspicious. Yuriy O'Donnell, the programmer mentioned here, also has "Nintendo Switch" listed among his skills on his Linkedin profile besides PS4 and Xbox One. But there aren't really any comments about Switch on his Twitter from what I have seen, he seems to be more interested in bleeding edge stuff like raytracing and stuff like that. But then again that's probably to be expected for someone working in this industry.

Could this possibly be related to Nintendo's new online platform? It appears that a few months ago, UE4 didn't have online support for Nintendo Switch:

https://nintendoeverything.com/no-o...itch-dev-says-its-related-to-unreal-engine-4/

...and going by their Epic's release notes, this doesn't seem to have changed yet:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-4-20-released?sessionInvalidated=true

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
There is no console coming in 2019... just because some codenames appear doesnt mean its far in progress... could be very very early... basicly more in line for 2020

yes i know But some here think it's 2019 release

maybe there would be a Tlou situation, were they released a remastered version for ps4 ...

that was One Game, sony now have 4 so it's a different situation with so many 3P games coming they need to think about it

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
bPS4SeenOtherConsole = (
((PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)) && ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)) ||
(PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4) && (ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)))
);

I think you have it wrong.

I would think, given the name, that bPS4SeenOtherConsole means "is PS4 seen by other console" (or maybe PS4 can see other console)

But regardless, bPS4SeenOtherConsole is TRUE in all the following situations:
Party Platform is Xbox or Erebus AND existing platform is PS4
Party Platform is Xbox or Erebus AND party platform is PS4 AND existing platform is Xbox
Party Platform is Xbox or Erebus AND existing platform is Erebus.

Even if I have the above somewhat wrong due to all the parenthesis going around and what has precedence over what here, I am fairly confident that the general gist is indeed that this actually describes all situations in which PS4 will be seen by other consoles, and may actually mean PS5 will have crossplay with PS4 and Xbox (though possibly other consoles as well), and this describes in which cases even PS4 will be seen by others .

The last two situations you mention there aren't true by that boolean. It's basically true if PS4 is found in combination with either of those two other consoles - and crossplay is only allowed if that boolean is false.

Code:
const bool bCrossConsoleAllowed = (!bPS4SeenOtherConsole) || (bPS4SeenOtherConsole && !bRestrictCrossConsole);

That is to say, bCrossConsoleAllowed is true only if you don't have a combination of PS4 with one of the other two (or if the bRestrictCrossConsole is false).

Good find, the similarity between NVN and FNVN is indeed suspicious. Yuriy O'Donnell, the programmer mentioned here, also has "Nintendo Switch" listed among his skills on his Linkedin profile besides PS4 and Xbox One. But there aren't really any comments about Switch on his Twitter from what I have seen, he seems to be more interested in bleeding edge stuff like raytracing and stuff like that. But then again that's probably to be expected for someone working in this industry.

Could this possibly be related to Nintendo's new online platform? It appears that a few months ago, UE4 didn't have online support for Nintendo Switch:

https://nintendoeverything.com/no-o...itch-dev-says-its-related-to-unreal-engine-4/

...and going by their Epic's release notes, this doesn't seem to have changed yet:

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-4-20-released?sessionInvalidated=true

The commit messages around Erebus make it sound like a piece of hardware they were optimising things for, rather than an online service. Talking about savings of x milliseconds on Erebus when doing this or that with GPU stuff. So I don't think it's just an online service.

Maybe it's possible Erebus is just another ue4 code name for Switch and they just started using that and didn't bother updating other variable/const names. But that's not a very exciting line of speculation... ;)

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Violet and Erebus, huh... Not as good as Orbis and Durango. Maybe next time.

EDIT: Scarlett, not Violet.

Last edited:

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
The commit messages around Erebus make it sound like a piece of hardware they were optimising things for, rather than an online service. Talking about savings of x milliseconds on Erebus when doing this or that with GPU stuff. So I don't think it's just an online service.

Maybe it's possible Erebus is just another ue4 code name for Switch and they just started using that and didn't bother updating other variable/const names. But that's not a very exciting line of speculation... ;)

Or maybe... Nintendo Switch Pro? ^^

Edit: lol

ThePhoque

Jun 6, 2018
Novigrad
All they need is a PS5 patch.

2019 is happening... see you in the announcement thread in Feb guys

Yeah i have the same feeling that they will start giving hints and then, a full reveal happens by the end of their E3 press conference.

Although i'm not a huge fan of the "let's start the next gen sooner" but i really hope that they put a full back compat ability inside PS5. i spent a lot of money on digital games in ps4 era, it would be a shame to lose them after buying the new console ...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Well it could be a Switch Pro...

Or maybe... Nintendo Switch Pro? ^^

Edit: lol

Yeah. I think the only thing I'd say for 'definite' based on this stuff is that it's not Sony.

Could be Nintendo (a Switch Pro or other new piece of hardware). Could be MS even - but I'd cast a little doubt on that based on the (F)NVN nomenclature, since presumably MS would use their own DX based API rather than a nVidia one. (Maybe at an early stage, though, it might use nvidia apis or extensions?) Could be someone else entirely, some other new nVidia licensee.

Last edited:

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
bPS4SeenOtherConsole = (
((PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)) && ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)) ||
(PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4) && (ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)))
);

I think you have it wrong.

I would think, given the name, that bPS4SeenOtherConsole means "is PS4 seen by other console" (or maybe PS4 can see other console)

But regardless, bPS4SeenOtherConsole is TRUE in all the following situations:
Party Platform is Xbox or Erebus AND existing platform is PS4
Party Platform is Xbox or Erebus AND party platform is PS4 AND existing platform is Xbox
Party Platform is Xbox or Erebus AND existing platform is Erebus.

Even if I have the above somewhat wrong due to all the parenthesis going around and what has precedence over what here, I am fairly confident that the general gist is indeed that this actually describes all situations in which PS4 will be seen by other consoles, and may actually mean PS5 will have crossplay with PS4 and Xbox (though possibly other consoles as well), and this describes in which cases even PS4 will be seen by others .
I didn't look at the code, but I think you statement is equivalent to his.

This variable set to try means the party Ps4 is entering has another console that is not ps4 and thus its true state means cross play is blocked.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
The last two situations you mention there aren't true by that boolean. It's basically true if PS4 is found in combination with either of those two other consoles - and crossplay is only allowed if that boolean is false.

Code:
const bool bCrossConsoleAllowed = (!bPS4SeenOtherConsole) || (bPS4SeenOtherConsole && !bRestrictCrossConsole);

That is to say, bCrossConsoleAllowed is true only if you don't have a combination of PS4 with one of the other two (or if the bRestrictCrossConsole is false).

Could this not be the chinese version of the shield tv i mean its using its own os (designed by nvidia themselves) from the rest of the world so it can be considered its own platform and tencent is launching Fortnite in China. (So TST could stand for tencent shield tv) But thats just my theory.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holiday 2019 confirmed

TLOU2 will be a cross gen launch game for the system ala Zelda with the Switch

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
i'm kinda ready for PS5. i just really really hope it has backwards compatibility. i mean if they released a PS5 today i'd buy it but it'd be cool if at the same time i could ditch my PS4 and keep playing games like Persona 5 or Bloodborne. If I can't play them on PS5 then i'm keeping the PS4.

rnzr

Jun 26, 2018
whatever it is, make sure to check out the novel 'erebos' by ursula poznanski. it's an immersive story about school kids playing a secret mmo which is starting to play them. that's it for my ability to sum something up :D but really, check it out, nice and easy read.

Oct 31, 2017
ps5 wont be here till late 2020 and the Switch pro forget it. Switch is far too established now for Nintendo to start messing around with platforms and there teams again.

Dream on all you dreamers!

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
With the talk about Sony basically monopolizing AMD's attentions with next-gen SoC work, I've had a feeling for a while that MS could pivot back to nVidia for their next xbox. That would have risks, but it's been hard to see how MS fits into the AMD picture if Sony is really so entrenched and resource-hungry with their design work at the moment (unless MS is happy to go with a more straightforward spin-off).

A new Nintendo machine can never be counted out either. They've a habit of springing things on the market somewhat unexpectedly.

A machine that is nVidia's own? Maybe.
Yeah. I think the only thing I'd say for 'definite' based on this stuff is that it's not Sony.

Could be Nintendo (a Switch Pro or other new piece of hardware). Could be MS even - but I'd cast a little doubt on that based on the (F)NVN nomenclature, since presumably MS would use their own DX based API rather than a nVidia one. (Maybe at an early stage, though, it might use nvidia apis or extensions?) Could be someone else entirely, some other new nVidia licensee.

Microsoft would never use Nvidia's API. The entire point of Xbox is to push Microsoft's API. It doesn't make sense that Nvidia or Nintendo would use NVN for a platform that isn't Switch, I mean the games would basically run on that system, I hardly expect you to be able to run a Switch rom (without encryption) on a new xbox. That's a Switch variant.

What is that TST2 refer to (test 2 perhaps) if it was the playstation 5 shouldnt that also say psn?

I think that it stands for the nvidia shield tv for the chinese market if the earlier nvidia connection is true remember nintendo is now launching games for the shield tv in china.

Why would nvidia shield tv have a different setting and run the same API as Switch? That should allow it to play decrypted Switch roms.

Last edited:

SenseiX

Oct 25, 2017
3XEwUqQ.jpg

S0Kb87h.png

Trails of Cold Steel 1-4 PS5 collection confirmed.

My thoughts exactly.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hum... Strange codename. I could swear Sony use matrix codename for his console.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'm still on Team PS5 Prototype because I'm unaware of other companies using that naming scheme for their in-development hardware except Sony.

I think it's too soon for a switch revision that would have its own code name.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. The fact that the code is restricting PS4 players from partying with Xbox or 'Erebus' players, but has no mention of the Switch (yet we know that PS4 and Switch players can't party together), makes me think this might be the case.

Last edited:

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
With the talk about Sony basically monopolizing AMD's attentions with next-gen SoC work, I've had a feeling for a while that MS could pivot back to nVidia for their next xbox. That would have risks, but it's been hard to see how MS fits into the AMD picture if Sony is really so entrenched and resource-hungry with their design work at the moment (unless MS is happy to go with a more straightforward spin-off).

A new Nintendo machine can never be counted out either. They've a habit of springing things on the market somewhat unexpectedly.

A machine that is nVidia's own? Maybe.
That rumor didnt really mean anything.

MS does its own chip customization in house, similar to what Apple does. They just pass along what they do to AMD and AMD puts it together. In fact there is a rumor that the scarlett streaming device will have its own custom chip in there developed by MS. Dont know if its ARM based or AMD though. But thats still a pretty big deal.