• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That rumor didnt really mean anything.

MS does its own chip customization in house, similar to what Apple does. They just pass along what they do to AMD and AMD puts it together. In fact there is a rumor that the scarlett streaming device will have its own custom chip in there developed by MS. Dont know if its ARM based or AMD though. But thats still a pretty big deal.

The chip work they've done, for xb1 for example, is small and additive vs the main bits of the SoC (CPU/GPU). That's not to say they couldn't now be taking AMD IP and designing their own custom chip more independently, but heavily adapting or customising AMD CPU/GPU designs on their own would be relatively new territory for them I think. You could be right though, maybe they don't need the same level of involvement to do what they want to do, be it because of in-house work or because the design is relatively straightforward.

A part of me would find it kind of exciting to see a vendor switch though - maybe industry people wouldn't like it so much (for porting) and maybe it would pose some extra hurdles for seamless BC, but having more different boxes available has a certain appeal.

Microsoft would never use Nvidia's API. The entire point of Xbox is to push Microsoft's API. It doesn't make sense that Nvidia or Nintendo would use NVN for a platform that isn't Switch, I mean the games would basically run on that system, I hardly expect you to be able to run a Switch rom (without encryption) on a new xbox. That's a Switch variant.

Why would nvidia shield tv have a different setting and run the same API as Switch? That should allow it to play decrypted Switch roms.

If NVN is Nintendo exclusive, then yeah, it would look more like a codname for some kind of Nintendo device.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The chip work they've done, for xb1 for example, is small and additive vs the main bits of the SoC (CPU/GPU). That's not to say they couldn't now be taking AMD IP and designing their own custom chip more independently, but heavily adapting or customising AMD CPU/GPU designs on their own would be relatively new territory for them I think. You could be right though, maybe they don't need the same level of involvement to do what they want to do, be it because of in-house work or because the design is relatively straightforward.

A part of me would find it kind of exciting to see a vendor switch though - maybe industry people wouldn't like it so much (for porting) and maybe it would pose some extra hurdles for seamless BC, but having more different boxes available has a certain appeal.

If NVN is Nintendo exclusive, then yeah, it would look more like a codname for some kind of Nintendo device.

Unrelated to this, because of DXR and Sony's involvement with Navi, I do think Microsoft might be working with Nvidia to put a RTX compatible console onto the market. With 7nm, it wouldn't be crazy to see something like a RTX 2080 (in performance) in their next console, especially because I do think Microsoft is going to go with a $500 price point and will possibly come out after the PS5.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Why is the PS4 still referenced as PSN and not SEN? Would that cause compatibility issues?

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Reference to God of War I guess. Microsoft could use Gear of War or Halo reference for his next gen console.
could be a reference to a new kid icarus or xenoblade 2. NVN wouldn't be part of any PS5 box from all the stuff we've heard, also I doubt Sony would work with Nvidia again.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Erebus is an unfortunate name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_New_Zealand_Flight_901

Air New Zealand Flight 901 (TE-901)[nb 1] was a scheduled Air New Zealand Antarctic sightseeing flight that operated between 1977 and 1979. The flight would leave Auckland Airport in the morning and spend a few hours flying over the Antarctic continent, before returning to Auckland in the evening via Christchurch. On 28 November 1979, the fourteenth flight of TE-901, a McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30, registration ZK-NZP, flew into Mount Erebus on Ross Island, Antarctica, killing all 237 passengers and 20 crew on board.[1][2] The accident became known as the Mount Erebus disaster.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the things being said in this thread, based more or less on "I want it to be X, so it must be X", are completely hilarious. It's a major new platform, or it wouldn't be in this list. Sony have used Greek codenames for a number of products in a row. It's unlikely to be another version of a current console/platform, otherwise there would be specific mention of the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. It's unlikely that Microsoft will release a new home console before Sony and almost unthinkable that Nintendo would.

It might not be Sony, it might not even be one of the big three, but Erebus being the codename for the PS5 is far more likely than the other theories being spread here.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
The NVN seems like a pretty important hint (F is just the UE-style prefix for structs).
Unless it's some other NVN, this probably means a Nintendo device (or at least a NV device, though I was under the impression that NVN is Nintendo-specific.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the things being said in this thread, based more or less on "I want it to be X, so it must be X", are completely hilarious. It's a major new platform, or it wouldn't be in this list. Sony have used Greek codenames for a number of products in a row. It's unlikely to be another version of a current console/platform, otherwise there would be specific mention of the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. It's unlikely that Microsoft will release a new home console before Sony and almost unthinkable that Nintendo would.

It might not be Sony, it might not even be one of the big three, but Erebus being the codename for the PS5 is far more likely than the other theories being spread here.

PS5 was a good shot in the dark, but as soon as the api was revealed to be NVN, it's super unlikely that the PS5 with AMD would use an Nvidia API designed for the Nintendo Switch.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
The NVN thing makes a lot of sense, the only thing that makes me hesitate a little is the name "Erebus" itself. Nintendo and "god of darkness" seems like a strange combination. But it could very well be true.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The NVN thing makes a lot of sense, the only thing that makes me hesitate a little is the name "Erebus" itself. Nintendo and "god of darkness" seems like a strange combination. But it could very well be true.
Since this is "TST2" I assume it's not a super official codename, could be a UE4 engineer or Nvidia engineer since they have all worked together to support the Switch platform. Also it's relation to chaos makes sense if this is a dock or more powerful switch.
I think that console runs a special version of Windows 10?
Iirc there are 2 versions of the console, one is a PC that runs windows, I figured the other would be Linux, but I guess it could be a special locked down windows 10.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Some of the things being said in this thread, based more or less on "I want it to be X, so it must be X", are completely hilarious. It's a major new platform, or it wouldn't be in this list.

Well that first file has a bunch of things in there... some major, some not. The inclusion in the 'ps4seen' bool might indicate something more significant on the console side though, yes.

Sony have used Greek codenames for a number of products in a row.

They don't have a monopoly on the use of greek words for codenames.

It's unlikely to be another version of a current console/platform, otherwise there would be specific mention of the Xbox One X or PS4 Pro. It's unlikely that Microsoft will release a new home console before Sony and almost unthinkable that Nintendo would.

Granted on the Pro/OneX thing. But as for release timing... first of all, 'first sight' in code like this wouldn't tell us anything about final release timing. Things could appear in middleware code earlier even though they might release later. Things could be merged from a secret/private branch into a public branch for various reasons, 'revealing' the existance of something, even though there could be other private branches for NDA-ed machines that are older.

However nothing is a given. Microsoft could release before Sony, or could have kits out before Sony.

Nintendo could really release something at any time. They've been cagey about whether Switch is an all encompassing platform - they could conceivably pop out with a new handheld any time now, or perhaps some other new 'third pillar' type box separate from switch.

I think it being a Sony machine is, on the contrary, the least likely option. There's no reason a Sony machine would be explicitly made mutually exclusive from cross play with PS4 in the same way Xbox is in the code. And that's before we get to the apparent NVN associations with 'Erebus'.

From the code and commit comments, Erebus is seemingly a NVN (nVidia) device that shouldn't ever cross play with PS4. Both of these things are significant marks against it being a Sony machine. They're quite significant marks for it perhaps being a Nintendo related thing.

The only Sony connection being made is the Greek name theory - and that's super tenuous.

I'd love it to be PS5 personally, or a sign of PS5 progress... but I'd be 99% sure this isn't it. That'll come in its own good time.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Let the codename games, begin!
It feels too early for this shit, if I'm being honest.

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the full function, it really does seem like OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS should actually be OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_SWITCH. It doesn't make any sense otherwise (unless PS4 and Switch players are now allowed to play together).

Code:
bool UPartyBeaconState::CrossPlayAllowed(const FPartyReservation& ReservationRequest) const
{
    bool bCrossplayAllowed = true;

bool bEveryoneAllowsCrossplay = true;
    TSet<FString> ExistingPlatforms;
    for (const FPartyReservation& ExistingReservation : Reservations)
    {
        for (const FPlayerReservation& ExistingPlayer : ExistingReservation.PartyMembers)
        {
            bEveryoneAllowsCrossplay &= ExistingPlayer.bAllowCrossplay;
            if (ExistingPlayer.Platform == OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)
            {
                ExistingPlatforms.Add(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4);
            }
            else if (ExistingPlayer.Platform == OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX)
            {
                ExistingPlatforms.Add(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX);
            }
            else if (ExistingPlayer.Platform == OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)
            {
                ExistingPlatforms.Add(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS);
            }
            else
            {
                ExistingPlatforms.Add(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_OTHER);
            }
        }
    }

if (ExistingPlatforms.Num() > 0)
    {
        bool bPartyAllowsCrossplay = true;
        TSet<FString> PartyPlatforms;
        for (const FPlayerReservation& Player : ReservationRequest.PartyMembers)
        {
            bPartyAllowsCrossplay &= Player.bAllowCrossplay;
            if (Player.Platform == OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX)
            {
                PartyPlatforms.Add(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX);
            }
            else if (Player.Platform == OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)
            {
                PartyPlatforms.Add(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4);
            }
            else if (Player.Platform == OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)
            {
                PartyPlatforms.Add(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS);
            }
            else
            {
                PartyPlatforms.Add(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_OTHER);
            }
        }

const bool bPS4SeenOtherConsole = (
            ((PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)) && ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)) ||
            (PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4) && (ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)))
        );

TSet<FString> Delta = PartyPlatforms.Intersect(ExistingPlatforms);

// The intersection of party/existing will be less if something new is added
        const bool bPartyAddsNewPlatform = (Delta.Num() != PartyPlatforms.Num());
        // There is something foreign if our party makeup doesn't exactly match the existing parties
        const bool bExistingMatchesParty = (Delta.Num() == ExistingPlatforms.Num());

// Don't cross mingle consoles
        const bool bCrossConsoleAllowed = (!bPS4SeenOtherConsole) || (bPS4SeenOtherConsole && !bRestrictCrossConsole);
        const bool bExistingPlayersOk = (!bPartyAddsNewPlatform || (bPartyAddsNewPlatform && bEveryoneAllowsCrossplay));
        const bool bIncomingPlayersOk = (bPartyAllowsCrossplay || bExistingMatchesParty);

bCrossplayAllowed = bCrossConsoleAllowed && bExistingPlayersOk && bIncomingPlayersOk;

FString ExistingStr;
        for (const FString& Existing : ExistingPlatforms)
        {
            ExistingStr += Existing + TEXT("|");
        }
        UE_LOG(LogPartyBeacon, Verbose, TEXT("Existing: %s"), *ExistingStr);

FString PartyPlatformStr;
        for (const FString& PartyPlatform : PartyPlatforms)
        {
            PartyPlatformStr += PartyPlatform + TEXT("|");
        }
        UE_LOG(LogPartyBeacon, Verbose, TEXT("NewParty: %s"), *PartyPlatformStr);

UE_LOG(LogPartyBeacon, Log, TEXT("UPartyBeaconState::CrossPlayAllowed bEveryoneAllowsCrossplay:%s bPartyAllowsCrossplay:%s bCrossConsoleAllowed:%s bExistingPlayersOk:%s bIncomingPlayersOk:%s bCrossPlayAllowed:%s"),
            *LexToString(bEveryoneAllowsCrossplay),
            *LexToString(bPartyAllowsCrossplay),
            *LexToString(bCrossConsoleAllowed),
            *LexToString(bExistingPlayersOk),
            *LexToString(bIncomingPlayersOk),
            *LexToString(bCrossplayAllowed));
    }

return bCrossplayAllowed;
}
[code]

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It's well known that engines mention upcoming platforms in their source codes.
But OP, you got it wrong. Look at the rank of platforms. Home consoles are on the top, then PC platforms, then mobile platforms. If it was PS5, it should have been just under consoles and above PC since all those share the same architecture, also Scarlet should have been added too, but it is mentioned after mobile platforms and after Switch.
This is definitely a mobile console, mostly Sony's one. What is most intriguing is the "Other" platform, it could be another mobile console, maybe from Microsoft.

Also TST2 like some others said has to be Test Station 2 which is probably a code name for PS Vita 2.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
That logic pretty much shows that PS4 and Xbox alone can't see eachother (no cross-play), but when Erebus launches, cross-play will be enabled.

When running the logic, when only PS4 and Xbox are used in the comparative arrays, then the result is PS4Seen == False. But when you factor in Erebus into any of the arrays and PS4 is included, then PS4Seen is true.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember that guy on the old forum saying PS TRINITY NEW HANDHELD out of nowhere (and that was false)
I think it's better not to jump to conclusions.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Has Sony ever used code names for their mainline consoles? I could swear that are always named PlayStation X

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Also after PS4 there is PSN which means PlayStation Network and after Xbox (check how no Xbox platform platform was mentioned, neither Xbox One, nor Xbox One X nor Scarlet) there XBL which means XBox Live. You know in Source codes changing one variable name would cause havoc and there no way, if this is PS5, that the PS5 would use a different and newer system other than PSN and the path of those platforms was founf in online folders.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I think MS is going with nVidia next-gen (so they can make use of RTX and DXR (DirectX Ray Tracing API) and it's for the Scarlet boxes. I don't think Sony will be making use of ray-tracing at all but it wouldn't surprise me if MS do as that will be a big difference in the two systems.

I think this is highly unlikely. Do we have evidence that Nvidia has any kind of really high powered semi custom SoCs which would fit the bill? Ray Tracing is in its infancy and looks to be pretty hard on performance even on monstrous new Nvidia graphics cards. I would go as far as saying that it is 100% impossible that Nvidia has a small, low power SoC capable of Ray Tracing.

Both Sony and MS will be using AMD Zen based SoCs.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That logic pretty much shows that PS4 and Xbox alone can't see eachother (no cross-play), but when Erebus launches, cross-play will be enabled.

When running the logic, when only PS4 and Xbox are used in the comparative arrays, then the result is PS4Seen == False. But when you factor in Erebus into any of the arrays and PS4 is included, then PS4Seen is true.

That's not the logic at all.

That bool is true, and thus crossplay is disabled, if either Erebus or Xbox is present alongside PS4. Erebus, if present, doesn't make the bool false.

Looking at the full function, it really does seem like OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS should actually be OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_SWITCH. It doesn't make any sense otherwise (unless PS4 and Switch players are now allowed to play together).

Yeah, I'd be leaning on it either being another codename for Switch, or if a new platform, a Switch variant or new device that shares Switch APIs (on the basis of NVN being a Nintendo API).

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is highly unlikely. Do we have evidence that Nvidia has any kind of really high powered semi custom SoCs which would fit the bill? Ray Tracing is in its infancy and looks to be pretty hard on performance even on monstrous new Nvidia graphics cards. I would go as far as saying that it is 100% impossible that Nvidia has a small, low power SoC capable of Ray Tracing.

Both Sony and MS will be using AMD Zen based SoCs.

7nm would open the door to the power/performance and die space consoles use for such a GPU. Certainly not impossible if Nvidia releases a RTX 3060 in 2 years.

Oct 27, 2017

It's an extremely confusing assignment statement, but you should check it again. Flipping around the order of the second line might make the logic a bit easier to see:

Code:
const bool bPS4SeenOtherConsole = (
    ((PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)) && ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)) ||
    ((ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)) && PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4))
);