• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A new "Erebus" platform has popped up in the latest release of Unreal Engine 4 which could very well be Sony's next console – the Playstation 5.

Erebus was found as a new platform in the engine's supported platform list.

erebusr0d3b.png

In Greek mythology, Erebus /ˈɛrɪbəs, -əb-/, also Erebos (Greek: Ἔρεβος, "deep darkness, shadow"), was often conceived as a primordial deity, representing the personification of darkness; for instance, Hesiod's Theogony identifies him as one of the first five beings in existence, born of Chaos.

Source

After Orbis (PS4), Morpheus (PS VR), Neo (PS4 Pro), now Erebus?

Mod Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
welp I for one cannot wait to get in on this I want to retire my PS4 skipping the pro so make it soon Sony

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
Sounds like a lot of baseless speculation. It could be literally anything.

It's worth mentioning that speculation and rumors are two entirely different things.

Also resetera -> internet -> Resetera.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
It's clearly Vita 2.

YOU THOUGHT THIS POST WAS SARCASM, JOJO! BUT IT WAS SERIOUS!

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's a Sony console.

It's used in a boolean evaluation for determining if cross console multiplayer should be allowed - whereby PS4 and Erebus or PS4 and Xbox should not be mixed. If it was PS5, presumably PS4 and PS5 could crossplay...

So I think it's something else. It could be another Microsoft console, or perhaps Google Yeti... another Nintendo console seems unlikely at this stage.

---

The psuedocode for not allowing crossplay on PS4 is:

if the existing platform is ps4, and a console in the party is either Xbox or Erebus

or the existing platform is Xbox or Erebus and a console in the party is PS4

Then don't allow crossplay, basically.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
It sounds fairly plausible to me.

I don't think it's a Sony console.

It's used in a boolean evaluation for determining if cross console multiplayer should be allowed - whereby PS4 and Erebus or PS4 and Xbox should not be mixed. If it was PS5, presumably PS4 and PS5 could crossplay...

So I think it's something else. It could be another Microsoft console, or perhaps Google Yeti... another Nintendo console seems unlikely at this stage.

I don't see how this works given Switch and Xbox can crossplay and both are on this list. Edit - also Xbox and Windows

Edit again -

I love this comment on the linked article.

Ps5 has to be 16x more powerful than the ps4 that means 128 gb ram or similar. Ps2-32mb ram PS3-512mb ps4-8gb so for ps5 with 128 gb to be sold for 500$ or less cant be a 2019 machine it has to be 2022 so stop fooling yourselves with fake news and stupidity

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah, the times of Orbis and Durango are coming back, this is the most fun part of the generations.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds fairly plausible to me.

I don't see how this works given Switch and Xbox can crossplay and both are on this list. Edit - also Xbox and Windows

The list with definitions includes everything (PS4 also). I means the boolean evaluation further down:

Code:
const bool bPS4SeenOtherConsole = (
            ((PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)) && ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)) ||
            (PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4) && (ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)))
        );

The use of that bool later boils down to, basically:

if the existing platform is ps4, and a console in the party is either Xbox or Erebus

There are other things controlling crossplay, but that's one of the rules involved.

Maybe I've read that wrong, if so, feel free to correct.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Could also be the Google thing, or maybe something from Apple. It's literally just a codename without any further information.

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
It's another boolean evaluation further down:

Code:
            ((PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)) && ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4)) ||
            (PartyPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_PS4) && (ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_XBOX) || ExistingPlatforms.Contains(OSS_PLATFORM_NAME_EREBUS)))
        );

There are other things controlling crossplay, but that's one of the rules involved.

I see what you mean, but why doesn't it mention Switch? Also given the early stage Erebus is probably at, I don't think this rules anything out.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
I was about to buy a PS4 pro this afternoon... should I skip ?

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
The list with definitions includes everything (PS4 also). I means the boolean evaluation further down:

Code:
        );

It could just be a way of stopping people accidentally partying up with friends on PS5 while it isn't supposed to exist yet.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, PS4 was called Orbis before it was officially announced... so I'm gonna go with a maybe?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I see what you mean, but why doesn't it mention Switch? Also given the early stage Erebus is probably at, I don't think this rules anything out.

There are a few booleans used to determine if crossplay should be allowed... one is 'bEveryoneAllowsCrossplay', which I guess will be automatically false if a platform is PS4. That would handle Switch/PS4 mixes, or anything/ps4 mixes.

The bPS4SeenOtherConsole bool might seem redundant in that case, but maybe it was added at another point and is still being maintained for some reason. Maybe it's a double lock on PS4 definitely never ever mixing with certain other consoles. (If that were the case it would again lean on it definitely not being a Sony console).

You're right in that it's very difficult to read much into this...but if you were going to read anything into it, it might indicate the opposite of it being a Sony console.

The other possibility, based on the 'TST2' name, is that this is just a dummy/test thing. However, other commits that make reference to Erebus talk about specific performance savings 'on erebus', which might suggest specific hardware rather than just a software branch. Again though...we're extrapolating a bit.

But if it's an actual machine and if we're going to extrapolate, I'd say signs point away from it being a Sony machine.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting….
Also for some reason while reading TST2, I immediately associated to something like TestSTation2.