• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Rumor: "New Lord of the Rings TV series to be filmed in Scotland"

Stinkles

343 Industries
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland is beautiful, but it lacks the mountains that NZ has. The tallest in Scotland are 4,400 feet, compared to 12,200 feet in NZ. It maybe wouldn't be a big problem since we'd rarely see actors that high on a mountain anyway, so if it's just for establishing shots they could pull from anywhere I suppose.

Mountain ranges seldom have distinguishable peaks that high and the tallest tend to be emerging from underlying range so the ability to capture aerial establishing shots is reasonably good and season dependent.

They can also easier blend stock nz and Swiss alps - zero lotr species /groups live up there and Scotland is lousy with forests, glades, valleys, tundra, coasts, rocky islands, plains and even sand dunes.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds of Brexit torpedoing this idea? I'd love to be an extra if they bring it here. I've even got hobbit feet already.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down for this, Scotland is stunning. It'll be a shame to lose the shear variety of natural landscapes that New Zealand offers - but I suppose they can always just CGI some mountains in the background :P

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer. I could be wrong, but I feel like this is just going to make it look even more like Thrones and less like the established "look" of LOTR that NZ provided.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how sure their sources are that this is "Lord of the Rings", or if this is just "Amazon was scouting here for a big fantasy series, must be LotR". Amazon has multiple fantasy series' they are working on, and since this one is allowed to use footage from the movie trilogy, one would think they would try to use the same/similar locations to match them up. I could see Scotland being a good place for the Wheel of Time series Amazon is doing.

eagleian

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Scouting those locations in Winter? I know Loc Lomond will be rife with midge from May til September, hopefully they’re not filming then.

Skye is a magnificent location. But the weather will dictate a lot.

Oct 29, 2017
What are the odds of Brexit torpedoing this idea? I'd love to be an extra if they bring it here. I've even got hobbit feet already.
Slightly off topic but the sentiment behind Brexit would make Sauron gleeful. Separating all the countries and making them isolationist? He could have steamrolled everybody.

Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Cool. Since this involves Young Aragorn, it would make sense to utilize the Scotish Highlands for Eriador. The Cuilin Mountain Range would make for excellent Blue Mountain location shoots.

Oct 25, 2017
London
Nice, I can see that working if they set it in other areas of the map, it would be funny to have a Rab. C. Nesbitt dwarf or hobbit.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Nice, I can see that working if they set it in other areas of the map, it would be funny to have a Rab. C. Nesbitt dwarf or hobbit.
I'm not quite sure if hobbits will feature very much in the show. It really does depend on whether they focus solely on young Aragorn for five whole seasons or have each season dedicated to a particular character from each of the various races in Middle-earth. The former is more likely.

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm not quite sure if hobbits will feature very much in the show. It really does depend on whether they focus solely on young Aragorn for five whole seasons or have each season dedicated to a particular character from each of the various races in Middle-earth. The former is more likely.
Is it about Aragorn wandering around in the wild? I don't know much about his story but I can see why changing the filming locations wouldn't matter so much, but yeah there's not going to be many hobbits if that's the case.

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Is it about Aragorn wandering around in the wild? I don't know much about his story but I can see why changing the filming locations wouldn't matter so much, but yeah there's not going to be many hobbits if that's the case.
From the info we have so far, it seems like the show will focus on Aragorn's adventures in his early years after leaving Rivendell.