• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems that productions scouts have visited various locations in Scotland for the filming of the tv series:

The new Amazon Lord of the Rings prequel is to be filmed in Scotland according to reports.

Skye, Loch Lomond and Perthshire have all been tipped as potential filming locations for the £1bn series.

According to reports, production crews looked at locations such as Portree, Dunskey Castle and Portpatrick in the south-west and Scourie in the north-west have all been earmarked as potential locations.

Callander in Perthshire and Balloch Castle Country Park have also been visited.
The prequel from Amazon Studios to JRR Tolkien's trilogy is set to have the biggest budget in television history, with the series set to be shown in 2021.
Filming is set to begin this year after Amazon paid £200 million for the global rights to Lord of the Rings.
Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke said of the series: "We're not remaking the movies, but we're also not starting from scratch. It'll be characters people love. There's no shortage of ambition for the project."

The filming in Scotland comes following a number of successful productions in the last few years with the likes of Avengers: Infinity War, the Fast and Furious films and Netflix historical drama Outlaw King all having been recently been shot here.

Filming in Scotland has brought in significant amounts for the Scottish economy with more than £30 million brought into the economy of both Glasgow and Edinburgh from filming in 2017.
Despite the reports, the filming has not been confirmed by Amazon.

source

Personally I would love it to be filmed in Scotland. New Zealand was of course fantastic for the films but Scotland is at least as stunning and it might freshen up the look of the tv series making it a bit more distinct from the films.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
At first I was surprised and wondered why they wouldn't use NZ for continuity sake. But they say, "We're not remaking the movies..." which, I thought was already known. It's just hard for me to see anything but NZ landscapes as Middle Earth at this point... since I love those three movies so much.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder when we will get the casting for Aragorn since the show is a "young Aragorn" show set between The Hobbit and Fellowship.

At first I was surprised and wondered why they wouldn't use NZ for continuity sake. But they say, "We're not remaking the movies..." which, I thought was already known. It's just had for me to see anything but NZ landscapes as Middle Earth at this point... since I love those three movies so much.
It's still in continuity with the PJ movies per prior Amazon statements.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the story that either this or Avatar sequels were doing a big deal with New Zealand?

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Peter Capaldi as Gandalf please.

LSa3FMN.png

Maybe, could work.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'm telling you right now that Scotland doesn't have anything like the facilities to take on a series (i heard that the pilot could come in at $20m alone) like this. We don't have the sound stages or the VFX houses.

Locations? Absolutely. Apart from that there's nothing up here.

If they decide to do all the studio and post work in England then they could film the exteriors up here but I'm struggling to see how they could bring that all together unless they intend to 'Game Of Thrones' it and have a production that spans continents but post Brexit I'm not sure how likely that is. I could see Sony TV (who already do Outlander in Scotland) try and film their Wheel Of Time series up here but I'm not sure about this.

We shall see.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Would be nice, but New Zealand is still the most likely location or filming in the same locations as Game of Thrones.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Build the set for Mordor right next to Trump's golf course.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
That is something I wonder. Obviously, Aragorn will be recast since its a show centered on young Aragorn but I wonder what they do with the other characters he encounters like Gandalf, Elrond, etc.
I don't doubt that they'll try to entice Hugo Weaving, Sir Ian McKellan and Cate Blanchett to return in some capacity, but whether those actors will want to, is uncertain.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome, Scotland is a beautiful country. Perhaps they can leech off some of that GoT talent from NI now that its finished.

Oct 27, 2017
A prequel ehhh I would have preferred something like an adaptation of the Scouring of the Shire chapter from the perspective of some new hobbit characters or something. Essentially a Shire tv show about day-to-day life while Frodo was gone.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
A prequel ehhh I would have preferred something like an adaptation of the Scouring of the Shire chapter from the perspective of some new hobbit characters or something. Essentially a Shire tv show about day-to-day life while Frodo was gone.
Hobbits are pretty boring in Tolkien's mythos, apart from a few exceptions like Bilbo, the Fellowship Hobbits and Bullroarer of course.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
Am I getting this mixed up with another series, or were Amazon trying to strong arm NZ into giving up labour rights in order to film there?

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are playing it safe given how much they are spending. Seeing how they are keeping continuity of the films young Aragorn was their safest choice.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I've actually been to Loch Lomond. Definitely beautiful country, and rather LOTR-y. Seems like a pretty obvious choice to film fake Britain in real Britain, if it's doable.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Is there a chance that this will be a bit more...how to put it? more liberal with it's violence and language? not expecting nudity or heads being chopped off or anything but a little bit more than PG-13 or TV-14? not that LOTR would be better with an R-rating.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm telling you right now that Scotland doesn't have anything like the facilities to take on a series (i heard that the pilot could come in at $20m alone) like this. We don't have the sound stages or the VFX houses.

Locations? Absolutely. Apart from that there's nothing up here.

If they decide to do all the studio and post work in England then they could film the exteriors up here but I'm struggling to see how they could bring that all together unless they intend to 'Game Of Thrones' it and have a production that spans continents but post Brexit I'm not sure how likely that is. I could see Sony TV (who already do Outlander in Scotland) try and film their Wheel Of Time series up here but I'm not sure about this.

We shall see.

Maybe

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-46465737

Better hurry up.

Was used for Infinity War apparently.

Hope Brexit doesn't fuck things up.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Scotland is beautiful, but it lacks the mountains that NZ has. The tallest in Scotland are 4,400 feet, compared to 12,200 feet in NZ. It maybe wouldn't be a big problem since we'd rarely see actors that high on a mountain anyway, so if it's just for establishing shots they could pull from anywhere I suppose.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Apparently, us losing GoT after some of the pilot was filmed here due to a lack of facilities caused a mad scramble to set up studios - now there's like 3-4 proposals either being considered or partly underway.

I know for Outlander the production company basically had to build up the infrastructure from scratch.