• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cannot wait to see Sauron in his youthful power and magnificent evil.

uCaVwUS.png

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland is beautiful, but it lacks the mountains that NZ has. The tallest in Scotland are 4,400 feet, compared to 12,200 feet in NZ. It maybe wouldn't be a big problem since we'd rarely see actors that high on a mountain anyway, so if it's just for establishing shots they could pull from anywhere I suppose.

Mountain ranges seldom have distinguishable peaks that high and the tallest tend to be emerging from underlying range so the ability to capture aerial establishing shots is reasonably good and season dependent.

They can also easier blend stock nz and Swiss alps - zero lotr species /groups live up there and Scotland is lousy with forests, glades, valleys, tundra, coasts, rocky islands, plains and even sand dunes.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds of Brexit torpedoing this idea? I'd love to be an extra if they bring it here. I've even got hobbit feet already.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a chance that this will be a bit more...how to put it? more liberal with it's violence and language? not expecting nudity or heads being chopped off or anything but a little bit more than PG-13 or TV-14? not that LOTR would be better with an R-rating.
Highly unlikely with the Tolkien Estate's involvement.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down for this, Scotland is stunning. It'll be a shame to lose the shear variety of natural landscapes that New Zealand offers - but I suppose they can always just CGI some mountains in the background :P

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
That would be fair but weren't they also involved with the LOTR Shadow of mordor/war series?
Not that I recall no.

As far as the LOTR/Hobbit I.Ps are concerned, they have no say in such matters, because they don't own the rights to those works and never have. Tolkien sold those rights before his death.

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer. I could be wrong, but I feel like this is just going to make it look even more like Thrones and less like the established "look" of LOTR that NZ provided.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how sure their sources are that this is "Lord of the Rings", or if this is just "Amazon was scouting here for a big fantasy series, must be LotR". Amazon has multiple fantasy series' they are working on, and since this one is allowed to use footage from the movie trilogy, one would think they would try to use the same/similar locations to match them up. I could see Scotland being a good place for the Wheel of Time series Amazon is doing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That sure sucks for New Zealand.

Scotland is a beautiful country though.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Scouting those locations in Winter? I know Loc Lomond will be rife with midge from May til September, hopefully they're not filming then.

Skye is a magnificent location. But the weather will dictate a lot.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
What are the odds of Brexit torpedoing this idea? I'd love to be an extra if they bring it here. I've even got hobbit feet already.
Slightly off topic but the sentiment behind Brexit would make Sauron gleeful. Separating all the countries and making them isolationist? He could have steamrolled everybody.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Cool. Since this involves Young Aragorn, it would make sense to utilize the Scotish Highlands for Eriador. The Cuilin Mountain Range would make for excellent Blue Mountain location shoots.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Nice, I can see that working if they set it in other areas of the map, it would be funny to have a Rab. C. Nesbitt dwarf or hobbit.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I can see that working if they set it in other areas of the map, it would be funny to have a Rab. C. Nesbitt dwarf or hobbit.
I'm not quite sure if hobbits will feature very much in the show. It really does depend on whether they focus solely on young Aragorn for five whole seasons or have each season dedicated to a particular character from each of the various races in Middle-earth. The former is more likely.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They haven't started filming this yet? It feels like these discussions have been going on for years.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm not quite sure if hobbits will feature very much in the show. It really does depend on whether they focus solely on young Aragorn for five whole seasons or have each season dedicated to a particular character from each of the various races in Middle-earth. The former is more likely.

Is it about Aragorn wandering around in the wild? I don't know much about his story but I can see why changing the filming locations wouldn't matter so much, but yeah there's not going to be many hobbits if that's the case.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Is it about Aragorn wandering around in the wild? I don't know much about his story but I can see why changing the filming locations wouldn't matter so much, but yeah there's not going to be many hobbits if that's the case.
From the info we have so far, it seems like the show will focus on Aragorn's adventures in his early years after leaving Rivendell.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If they move it away from New Zealand and Weta they might as well cancel the whole thing.