• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I didn't realize how much people really like NSMB. I hope that Nintendo brings out Super Mario 3D World because that has been my favorite Mario game in years. Even over Odyssey.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, played it already. Maybe if they include the Luigi DLC I'll think about it, but wasn't that memorable a game to me.

Oct 27, 2017
It will be, but for me at least, I'd rather see NSMBU. It's more focused and fun imo. Mario Maker ended up just being a bunch of shitty user levels that more often than not were either poorly designed or designed in a way to make me stand there while the level occurred around me instead of actually playing. Both games have their plusses and minuses, but my personal favorite is NSMBU, especially with Luigi's expansion. All the extra challenge modes outside of the single player campaign were fun too.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I didn't realize how much people really like NSMB. I hope that Nintendo brings out Super Mario 3D World because that has been my favorite Mario game in years. Even over Odyssey.

YES!

Odyssey is great, but there are too many Moons so when you get one for literally doing nothing its just sorta...blah.

3D World was great. I really hope that's the next one ported.

ITSMILNER

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so, as far as ports go, what Nintendo games have we had rumoured/hinted at so far?

NSMBU
Mario Maker (Unsure if deluxe port or sequel)
Metroid Prime Trilogy

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Now we just need a rumor of Mario Maker being ported and Nintendo can scrub out the Wii U from ever existing.

But seriously, where is my switch version of Mario Maker Nintendo?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I still have my doubts about this. Mostly cause I don't think they want to bring back the U branding.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
so, as far as ports go, what Nintendo games have we had rumoured/hinted at so far?

NSMBU
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Xenoblade X : Monolith Soft has said they really want to port the game on the Switch.

The Wonderful 101 : Kamiya kept saying since Bayo 1 & 2 were released on Switch that he really wants Wonderful to be on Switch. He asked fans on twitter and during conferences if they would like a port. It looked like he was in the process to convince Nintendo, and he seemed happy with the answers he got from fans. We haven't heard of Wonderful from him since two months or something. I guess Nintendo and PlatinumGames are currently working on the port.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Id believe it. I'd rather have 3D World but makes sense to rerelease that. They always sell millions more than the 3D games.

Definitely the best NSMB game.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I really liked NSMBU.

I need a Peach campaign if I'm going to bite at $60 though.

Actually, I don't know if there's anything that could make me buy this. We're a year and a half into the Switch, we should be getting a new 2D Mario and not an old one. Where's the ambassador program for Wii U owners?

Oct 25, 2017
It really doesn't make sense to me, they pushed this game so hard when the Wiiu launched. I sort of blame this game for some of the Wiiu's failure. There was no shortage of 2d Mario at that point and it was the big first party game. We had endless debates back in the day about whether it was smart to launch with a new 2d mario and in hindsight I think it's clear it was a mistake. Also why wouldn't they just make a new 2d mario game? It can't take that long to make these games, they were pumping out the New series pretty fast for awhile.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I would much prefer a port of 3D World as it is my favorite Mario game (dat art style).

I'll get this if they add Peach as a playable character, will get it at $60 if they add more than one playable character and add new content. Not sure why NSMB is such a sausage-fest.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The next 3D Mario game will be a Mario Odyssey port on Switch 2 for $60. Fans will petition for Nintendo to raise the price to $80.

ITSMILNER

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade X : Monolith Soft has said they really want to port the game on the Switch.

The Wonderful 101 : Kamiya kept saying since Bayo 1 & 2 were released on Switch that he really wants Wonderful to be on Switch. He asked fans on twitter and during conferences if they would like a port. It looked like he was in the process to convince Nintendo, and he seemed happy with the answers he got from fans. We haven't heard of Wonderful from him since two months or something. I guess Nintendo and PlatinumGames are currently working on the port.

Ahh yes, both make sense as they would get a broader audience on Switch.

I think they really should have brought at least 1 of the 2 HD Zelda's over this year as well (TP or WW) either would have been a great October/early November release.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
New U is my favorite of the "New" series, but I'm just not feeling this. Gimme an all new new, or a new all star and I'm in.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I like how Wii U owners are often shut down in these thread. Please conform. Please clap for Nintendo. No disappointment allowed.
Most WiiU owners are hardcore Nintendo fans. Most of them also own a Switch by now and are totally fine with all these ports. Even I bought Mariokart 8 again.

:( Nintendo fans are Nuts...

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart was my most played game on wiiu by far but without new tracks there's zero reason for me to return to that game. I played an ungodly amount of the online with my roommate at the time. A fantastic game I still own on wiiu and don't need to pay $60 for a second time.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Let's not get carried away.

The NSMBU world map still wasn't as a good as SMW on the SNES, it re-used a ton of generic assets, it recycled all the old world themes, it's boxed in, with areas extending off the map like SMB3 rather than the self-contained islands of SMW. There aren't many hidden stages, and graphically it remains pretty static.

It's an improvement, but it's nowhere near to realising the potential of SMW with a contemporary game budget.
  • Re-used generic assets?
  • NSMBU having world themes is superior to SMW not having world themes.
  • This boxed-in point makes no sense. The worlds of SMW are equally separate from each other, with every other world taking place on a subscreen.
  • NSMBU has 12 hidden exits and they're all better hidden.
  • What? The world transforms to open new paths just like SMW. https://youtu.be/cyS43aTwHeY

See I would agree with you with the nostalgia googles and I said the same thing when people said they preferred Mario 64 to Odyssey. but personally Odyssey is bursting with Creativity. It's so detailed and that's why I think Odyssey is the better game.

Starting with the NEW games I always felt the presentation is off. I mean the gameplay is fine but they're lacking that OOMPH factor. Look at Donkey kong Tropical Freeze and that's exactly what I'm talking about and I consider that the best of the entire country trilogy and I didn't expect to.

The 2D Mario games are lately are "by the numbers" and lacking in content, presentation and fine tuning. Even the first NEW game for the DS had the fantastic touch screen mini games which I had a blast with.
Nah, charm/soul arguments are straight up nonsense.

It's not really fair to compare to Donkey Kong because that difference in style has always existed. 2D Mario has always had that clean look that clearly differentiates the foreground and background and NSMBU made that look as detailed as it could without betraying it. 2D Mario should look like 2D Mario.

This by the numbers comment doesn't really make sense. They use the world themes in every game, sure, but SMB1, SMB2, and SMW just used the basic stage-type themes, and the NSMB games have more themes than SMB3 had. On top of that, they've consistently found new ideas within those themes and come up with new combinations of themes. They have more content, presentation, and tuning. NSMBU even had the fun twist of Mario getting tossed away instead of Peach being taken away and having Peach Castle be the endgame. The minigames in NSMB DS were great, but they were from Mario 64 DS. NSMBU's challenge mode is a great addition.

Super Mario Galaxy changed peoples perception of Bowser Jr.

In every NSMB game he's been awful.
No, the NSMB games have done a great job making Bowser Jr likeable.

He wasn't that fun to fight in NSMB DS, but him resurrecting his dad after Mario brutally murdered him was nice

All of his boss battles in NSMBWii and NSMBU were highlights. Making his gimmick the Junior Clown Car was a brilliant idea. He's basically Dr. Robotnik.

https://youtu.be/WSCpPwgQhL0?t=6m
https://youtu.be/WSCpPwgQhL0?t=8m24s
https://youtu.be/WSCpPwgQhL0?t=10m12s
https://youtu.be/WSCpPwgQhL0?t=12m14s

It really doesn't make sense to me, they pushed this game so hard when the Wiiu launched. I sort of blame this game for some of the Wiiu's failure. There was no shortage of 2d Mario at that point and it was the big first party game. We had endless debates back in the day about whether it was smart to launch with a new 2d mario and in hindsight I think it's clear it was a mistake. Also why wouldn't they just make a new 2d mario game? It can't take that long to make these games, they were pumping out the New series pretty fast for awhile.
I hate this kind of mindset. In the classic days we got 4 games in 5 years, then 16 years of nothing. The 4 NSMB games came out across 6 years. When NSMB2 and NSMBU came out the last game was 3 years prior. And now it's been a 6 year drought. We haven't exactly been swimming in 2D Mario and there's always room for more.

One mistake they definitely made, though, was showing NSMBU in beta form where they were using NSMBWii graphics as a placeholder. It led to people using images from the beta to prove it was just a rehash.

Beta:
ceMKuM7l.jpg

Final:
pRosMbzl.jpg

There were articles around release using beta images to criticize the game.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
6 years is enough for a new game then! Launching the Wiiu with a new 2d mario when there is another new 2d mario coming out on a more popular platform, the same year was a bad decision!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see it selling that much, honestly.

People say the same thing about the fifth remake of Pokemon Green that is releasing this year. I just don't see it.

I think the console is not well suited for it.

I think the game plays terrible with a stick (meanwhile DKTF plays brilliantly with one). They didn't allow you to play with a stick in the Wii, never played the WiiU game, but would expect the same.

Releasing four 2D platformers in the span of a year by the same company is clearly overkill. And many high profile indie platformers have also been released this year.

Meanwhile the 3D Mario they released was single player only, with a tacked on two player mode.

How can someone look at the Switch and not imagine playing 3D World in it? If there ever was a game perfect for the Switch, this is it.

The fact is DKC is already well over a million shipped, so is Kirby, in fact Kirby probably is going to be the best selling in the series since like 1992 or something.

Those games have both done very well. NSMBU will do better, c'mon lets be real. It's Mario, it's holidays, it's on a red hot platform.

Oct 30, 2017
I can already imagine the marketing campaign

A family playing 4 players co op in front of the TV on the couch.

Guy playing in handheld mode, friend comes in the room and interrupts says hey what are you playing. Guy puts the system down in table top mode and passes a JoyCon to his friend and they continue to play 2 player co op.

This shits going to sell like crazy.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
RagnarokX fighting the good fight. NSMBU is a very good looking game, it would be hype if this rumoured release was an All Stars-esque compilation with the previous games in the series remade using NSMBU graphics.

Now THAT would be worth paying full price for!

banter

Jan 12, 2018
He wasn't that fun to fight in NSMB DS, but him resurrecting his dad after Mario brutally murdered him was nice
Real talk: It blew my mind that Nintendo actually depicted Bowser dying like that. Literally swimming in lava, screaming for his life as his skin melts off. Fighting "Dry Bowser" at the end was such a good payoff too.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Real talk: It blew my mind that Nintendo actually depicted Bowser dying like that. Literally swimming in lava, screaming for his life as his skin melts off. Fighting "Dry Bowser" at the end was such a good payoff too.
u5NwDxJ.gif

Dry Bowser would make a good echo in Smash. Give him Simon's neutral B as his forward B, make it a bone instead of an axe.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017

Some time in 2017 Emily Rogers said according to a source a Mario Maker port was being considered for Switch but that it was somewhat up in the air because according to the source NCL wants to migrate all of the existing user created levels over which supposedly was proving to be problematic.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
The fact is DKC is already well over a million shipped, so is Kirby, in fact Kirby probably is going to be the best selling in the series since like 1992 or something.

Those games have both done very well. NSMBU will do better, c'mon lets be real. It's Mario, it's holidays, it's on a red hot platform.
I've heard this argument many times, I'm still not seeing it.

I'm not saying this will bomb or anything, but it's a port of the fourth game using the exact same formula as the previous three (and bland graphical style).

I mean, this is not going to drive customers to buy Switches, it's nice to have, but not much more.

They also need to adapt the control scheme for joysticks, which is not trivial.

I'm honestly not expecting 10 million from this or Pokemon.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard this argument many times, I'm still not seeing it.

I'm not saying this will bomb or anything, but it's a port of the fourth game using the exact same formula as the previous three (and bland graphical style).

I mean, this is not going to drive customers to buy Switches, it's nice to have, but not much more.

They also need to adapt the control scheme for joysticks, which is not trivial.

I'm honestly not expecting 10 million from this or Pokemon.

You really think that Pokemon will not sell 10m ?