• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
No. It isn't.

The sequels to Yoshi's island look nothing like nsmb.
jackie.jpg

Are we seriously this derailed over a single example? Forget Yoshi's Island then, it doesn't change the argument at all:

These games have unique styles that make them more interesting to play and help keep them distinct from one another.

These games have unique styles that make them more interesting to play and help keep them distinct from one another.

These games do not have unique styles, looking and sounding very similar. They're not particularly interesting or distinct from one another. That kind of sucks. Nintendo could do a little better. This is not a complicated or controversial point.

Ok so you're just crazy and do not understand what canon means, got it. Probably why you called it cannon.
I was using it sarcastically since you were making a big deal over YI not being a real, pure Mario that belongs in the series. If you'd rather argue about the actual stuff I posted, like the 3D games achieving better variation while keeping a consistent core style, or Mario 3's creative decisions, feel free.

They wanted NSMB's art to be simple and functional so it could remain readable with 4 players. That's all.

I agree they should experiment with different art styles but NSMB's has a gameplay purpose.

That's true, but I don't think it lets them off the hook. There are a lot of other 2D games that support multiplayer without looking so bland; Tropical Freeze is extremely packed with things to see and reads just fine. And like I said above, even a few levels within NSMBU itself are a lot more interesting than the previous NSMB games. They can do better; I don't think a little more polish or style would kill the gameplay.

lmx

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 10, 2018
I wonder how long this argument will go on before Godwin's law kicks in.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I'm not going to respond to every piece of random nonsense in your post. To be fair you are doing the same to me, so don't give mad that I don't read/respond to your ramblings. You genuinely seem confused on multiple fronts and keep going off on unrelated tangents based off of situations that you are making up.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jackie.jpg

Are we seriously this derailed over a single example? Forget Yoshi's Island then, it doesn't change the argument at all:

These games do not have unique styles, looking and sounding very similar. They're not particularly interesting or distinct from one another. That kind of sucks. Nintendo could do a little better. This is not a complicated or controversial point.

I was using it sarcastically since you were making a big deal over YI not being a real, pure Mario that belongs in the series. If you'd rather argue about the actual stuff I posted, like the 3D games achieving better variation while keeping a consistent core style, or Mario 3's creative decisions, feel free.

That's true, but I don't think it lets them off the hook. There are a lot of other 2D games that support multiplayer without looking so bland; Tropical Freeze is extremely packed with things to see and reads just fine. And like I said above, even a few levels within NSMBU itself are a lot more interesting than the previous NSMB games. They can do better; I don't think a little more polish or style would kill the gameplay.
To be fair you're both righ, or neither of you are.

The original SMB games have a distinct visual style from one another that isn't just about tech limitations, whereas the NSMB games do not.

Having said that, the visual difference between the games is not anywhere near as distinct as you're trying to make out, and bringing in non series games that were branded as core games for sales purposes is very disingenuous.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what point you're trying to make showing how the 4 NSMB look different from each other.

This look for the Mushroom Kingdom was essentially cemented with the SNES games.

B8898li.gif
DGH3N26.jpg
X7hhwC4.png
qmlceFI.png

Someone really liked those pill-shaped mountains.

The SMB games have always had a linear progression in how they developed.

SMB2 was very similar to SMB1 with some small new mechanics like wind and different graphics.

SMB3 was the biggest change the series had. Screens could scroll left and right or up and and down instead of just 1 direction, so you could backtrack. Lots of new powerups including flight. World themes like desert, ice, etc. World maps. The p meter. Can now hold items like shells.

SMW started out using SMB3 as a base, but they tweaked the air physics to make the game easier because they wanted it to be more friendly. Regressed back to SMB1 and 2 themes. Added spin jump. Made the P meter invisible. Levels can now be 2 screens tall and n screens wide or n screens tall and 2 screens wide. More open map style. Yoshi.

81IKwKk.png

NSMB added wall jumping and ground pounding. Physics are a cross between SMB3 and SMW. Screens no longer have restrictions on scrolling and can be as tall and wide as they want. Added lots of new mechanics they couldn't do be fore like warping terrain and rotating stuff. Introduced Star Coins. No flying powerup but there were level specific flight moments.

NSMBWii added multiplayer for the first time. Introduced the mid-air twirl. Ice Mario and Penguin are great additions.

NSMB2: Heavy focus on collecting coins. Was made by young blood getting their feet wet.

NSMBU: Brought back SMW style map. 5 players. Challenge mode.

The thing is, Mario essentially fully realized its identity with the 3rd game, and everything since has been building on that. Games have gotten to the point where it's easier to make your game look like the concept art and changes from game to game are more subtle than they were when generational leaps in power had a bigger impact on how games looked.

It's disingenuous to basically point at this:
ceMKuM7l.jpg

pRosMbzl.jpg

And go "Yeah, they are different, but not as noticeably different as the older games!" That's a substatial visual upgrade.

And at this point the gameplay is essentially perfect, so innovation is more on the level design and mechanics side, which the NSMB games deliver on in spades.

What a fantastic post!

You also gave an old man a trip down memory lane haha! Thanks!

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Really hope this rumors is accurate.

Last 2D mario i played was New Super Mario Bros Wii, gonna be interesting how much the style changed in the last decade.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Absolutely adored NSBMU, yet I don't think it would be worth rebuying it, unless they did something special. Even just adding NSMB2 as DLC similar to NSBMU-L would be worthy it.

But I saw what they did with Tropical Freeze. That could have been a repack with the definitive version of DK Returns right there (controls + 60fps), but nope, it was just Tropical Freeze with an easy mode tacked on.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I can see this port being a January/February release. In Spring we have FE and early summer maybe Mario Maker 2. With Metroid and new Pokemon it would be a good year. Animal Crossing would be a nice 2019 game as well...

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Absolutely adored NSBMU, yet I don't think it would be worth rebuying it, unless they did something special. Even just adding NSMB2 as DLC similar to NSBMU-L would be worthy it.

But I saw what they did with Tropical Freeze. That could have been a repack with the definitive version of DK Returns right there (controls + 60fps), but nope, it was just Tropical Freeze with an easy mode tacked on.
Pretty much, Id consider only for extea levels, not locked behind 100% like special world, I'm never able to 100% those games except DS one which was easier

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017
ok here what i know about this, early in the year i think in the first Nintendo Direct in 2018 i saw the game name mentioned in the table of content by my source, every other game in the list has been shown but not this one.

after that .... nothing about this game... so am not sure about it.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really think a smart move would be to pack in U and Wii. Doesn't have to be the whole series, just the console ones. Otherwise I don't see Wii ever coming to modern platforms.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
ok here what i know about this, early in the year i think in the first Nintendo Direct in 2018 i saw the game name mentioned in the table of content by my source, every other game in the list has been shown but not this one.

Thanks for this. Perhaps they decided to go in a different direction? Especially if Mario Maker is an early or 1st half 2019 release?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the info. So things could have possibly changed since then?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honeslty though, the right thing to do would have been to take all four New games are put them in a compilation, such as New Super Mario All-Stars, and sell them for the price of one.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
am not sure since also Captain Toad was in the list but not been shown there, we saw it later, maybe its the same case.
They're probably just being careful with how many Wii U ports they show / release at once. If it wasn't for Mario Tennis and Octopath, the combo of Hyrule Warriors, DKTF, and Captain Toad would've been bad from a PR standpoint with Switch only getting Wii U ports. I can see them announcing this in September for a November release where there's atleast the buffer of Super Mario Party, Pokémon, and Smash all being new games.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
3DWorld will absolutely come to the Switch. They will have a Mario game per year, similar to Pokemon.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
am not sure since also Captain Toad was in the list but not been shown there, we saw it later, maybe its the same case.

Chances are that Captain Road was supposed to be a straight port but they went a little crazy with the new levels and ended up changing how the game ends. If this is how it was then I am hoping this game has some meaty new content

Who's this? Seems like they said a new one was coming in February.

I don't know but this person's last tweet is saying that what the falco dude said makes no sense so I like this person already

There are also tweets predicting some Pokemon Let's Go stuff but at that point it was not like it was a huge secret

Last edited:

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
We want a change because NSMB looks bad. If they looked as good as the SNES games people would probably be more tolerant of the NSMB series not changing much.

I honestly think NSMB looks better than SMW. I on the other hand did not play SMW when I was a kid. Neither do I like the all star look of the games I played as a kid, SMB1-3.

However I think that the whole discussion is somewhat overblown as I see the NSMB games as a natural evolution from SMB1. It is clean and good design where the platforming is infront of design. I love Rayman Origins; however there was some times I was confused over what was in the background instead and what I actually could jump on.

Now I would like some new environments but I cannot say that I know how they should look and some new music could be nice.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We want a change because NSMB looks bad. If they looked as good as the SNES games people would probably be more tolerant of the NSMB series not changing much.

It looks fine to me. Everything I expected an HD 2D Mario game to be. Outside of an extremely retro look like the Odyssey 2D stages I don't know where they would take it artistically.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Copyright 2018 makes little sense. It should be 2012-2018, not just 2018 unless its a brand new game. See DKTF and Captain Toad - both have the original Wii U release date on the title screen as well as 2018.

but we do NOT know if this is a remaster or a brand new game. insiders called "ports" splatoon 2 and smash ultimate too

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Nice, now the fall lineup is starting to take shape, we need atleast another 3 reveals like this one in the September Direct.

My guesses are;

Metroid Prime Collection and Pikmin Collection

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I think it's important to realize that even NSMBU sold pretty freaking well. We would love a less safe art style (I'd love something like the Wii Wario Land game myself), but most people probably don't mind the "New" style. I mean it sucks that they're not willing to experiment more, but saying "everyone is tired of this style" is also not that true.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
but we do NOT know if this is a remaster or a brand new game. insiders called "ports" splatoon 2 and smash ultimate too

"Insiders" = 2 people who were both wrong. Some of the other rumored "ports" they rumored never even materialized and the ones that did were different from what they claimed. Grain of salt.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they port Super Mario Odyssey to the Switch. It's not fair to make me wait 5 years to buy it again!

Maybe I'll just go buy it again now to replicate the feeling.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It looks fine to me. Everything I expected an HD 2D Mario game to be. Outside of an extremely retro look like the Odyssey 2D stages I don't know where they would take it artistically.
It's fine that you enjoy it, just acknowledge that people can dislike it without their dislike being due to some logical fallacy.

Anyhow there are about a bazillion places you can take a game artistically, so I don't think that should be too much of an issue.