• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love 2D Mario. Never got around to playing the Luigi dlc. I'll make sure I'll change that if this is real. And Nintendo really should just keep pumping out the Wiiu ports. These games deserve a second life. Hopefully Pikmin 3, W101, and Star Fox are next.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I SERIOUSLY hope people are confusing NSMBU with an actual NSMB title. That at least would compensate with the fact that is releasing way too late.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wished people would stop generalizing insiders. Just because certain insiders sources told them what Splatoon was doesn't equate to all insiders having bad information. Every insider is their own person with their own sources. Just stop generalizing them all.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they would port the Wii U port of the Wii port of the GameCube game or port the Wii port of the GameCube game or just port the GameCube game?

What an exciting time to be a Nintendo fan!
Well whatever it is playing these games portably and HD for the first time is exciting and isn't taking away from the development of Prime 4 or anything so why not?

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
Well whatever it is playing these games portably and HD for the first time is exciting and isn't taking away from the development of Prime 4 or anything so why not?

Oh. Where's Mario Kart 9, Hyrule Warriors 2, Captain Toad 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3, New Super Mario Bros. 4, etc?

Remember when Wii VC purchases carried over to Wii U at a steep discount? Remember when Wii games were released on Wii U for $20 a pop? Remember when port-ups came as value-added compilations instead of individual titles with the price jacked up and the old cheaper games deleted from storefronts?

Nintendo could quietly re-release their back catalogue at affordable prices instead of using them to fill droughts and displace actual sequels.

I understand why someone would buy them but I don't understand why they would praise or hotly anticipate this demonstrably worse method that Nintendo is using here. This conversation started with someone saying we "need" more ports - no, we "need" more new games, ports should be discounted impulse buys or preorder bonuses.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chances are that Captain Road was supposed to be a straight port but they went a little crazy with the new levels and ended up changing how the game ends. If this is how it was then I am hoping this game has some meaty new content

I don't know but this person's last tweet is saying that what the falco dude said makes no sense so I like this person already

There are also tweets predicting some Pokemon Let's Go stuff but at that point it was not like it was a huge secret
i wouldn't bother with peeky, he has a retweet of a unhinged troll who has agenda against era on his account

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. Where's Mario Kart 9, Hyrule Warriors 2, Captain Toad 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3, New Super Mario Bros. 4, etc?

Remember when Wii VC purchases carried over to Wii U at a steep discount? Remember when Wii games were released on Wii U for $20 a pop? Remember when port-ups came as value-added compilations instead of individual titles with the price jacked up and the old cheaper games deleted from storefronts?

Nintendo could quietly re-release their back catalogue at affordable prices instead of using them to fill droughts and displace actual sequels.

I understand why someone would buy them but I don't understand why they would praise or hotly anticipate this demonstrably worse method that Nintendo is using here. This conversation started with someone saying we "need" more ports - no, we "need" more new games, ports should be discounted impulse buys or preorder bonuses.
Thinking that ports take up the development of new games in a series is a fundamental mksunderstanding. Completely different teams handle them.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making new games? The Mario Kart guys were making Arms and the Hyrule Warriors guys were making Fire Emblem Warriors. I think part of the original Captain Toad team helped make Odyssey and Retro's new game has been rumored for a while. But hey what is doing research.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the package is for all five NSMB games then day 1. Otherwise I don't think I'll be jumping in just to play the two Wii-U games.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I wished people would stop generalizing insiders. Just because certain insiders sources told them what Splatoon was doesn't equate to all insiders having bad information. Every insider is their own person with their own sources. Just stop generalizing them all.

Or that MK8 would include new tracks and such? Or that Mario Maker was coming? Or a female link in BOTW? There was a thread here detailing all the rumors and which ones came true or not.

NSMB has been rumored for a while now. Its nothing new - and given the amount of Wii U ports its a super easy guess.

Insiders generally have some knowledge a few days before something gets announced. They are likely just leaking NDA info they hear from others. Its fun to read what they say, but many have been wrong so many times its useless to take stock in it. I've seen posts on 4chan that are the real deal. I feel like some just do it for personal gain (youtube followers etc.)

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking that ports take up the development of new games in a series is a fundamental mksunderstanding. Completely different teams handle them.
Then... we're are the new games? They have thirteen internal devteams and lot's of external contracts. They even streamlined their teams and yet... the number of original games in the last 17 months isn't that huge.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Then... we're are the new games? They have thirteen internal devteams and lot's of external contracts. They even streamlined their teams and yet... the number of original games in the last 17 months isn't that huge.
Don't ask me, just know that common sense says that these ports aren't getting in the way of them. They take minimal amounts of work, and some of them them aren't even done by Nintendo themselves.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Don't ask me, just know that common sense says that these ports aren't getting in the way of them. They take minimal amounts of work, and some of them them aren't even done by Nintendo themselves.
Internal Nintendo is so fucked-up. Their output is so bad since 2015....

There are amazing games but it is just not the quantity you would expect from this huge army of developers.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I SERIOUSLY hope people are confusing NSMBU with an actual NSMB title. That at least would compensate with the fact that is releasing way too late.

Or it doesn't exist at all, there've been many rumours like these and only a few turned out to be true, others turned out to be something else or didn't happen at all.

People has taken for granted the supposed Star Fox game and there's still nothing about it.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

There are amazing games but it is just not the quantity you would expect from this huge army of developers.

Nintendo outputs more games than any other developer in the industry.

You just have ridiculous standards. It's not possible to do 2017 every year, and it was so ridiculously loaded that 2018 has to be a low year.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I believe 3 of the teams behind those games have a new game on the Switch already with the 4th one leaked/rumored. They're not the teams handling the ports.

I'm also not sure why you want direct sequels to everything. 3 of the 4 new games are completely different types of games than what the team made previously, which is far more interesting - especially since we're getting the ports anyway.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017

They don't have a huge army of developers. Next time you finish one try to sit through the credits. Then compare that to the credits of a Ubisoft game.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I think at the very least it will prevent Nintendo from making new games in the franchise for a while. I was really hoping for a new 2D Mario and I doubt we'll get one for years if this port ends up selling well. So I'll just hope this rumor is false and it's actually a new game.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They just released DKCTF which is superior in every possible way.

They just released Kirby.

They are about to release Yoshi.

Switch doesn't even have a Dpad.

It's ridiculous to release this game.

Meanwhile, 3D World is screaming for a port, the console is just perfect for it and everyone can play it in multiplayer.

Nothing you said is even remotely logical.

I don't see it selling that much, honestly.

People say the same thing about the fifth remake of Pokemon Green that is releasing this year. I just don't see it.

I think the console is not well suited for it.

I think the game plays terrible with a stick (meanwhile DKTF plays brilliantly with one). They didn't allow you to play with a stick in the Wii, never played the WiiU game, but would expect the same.

Releasing four 2D platformers in the span of a year by the same company is clearly overkill. And many high profile indie platformers have also been released this year.

Meanwhile the 3D Mario they released was single player only, with a tacked on two player mode.

How can someone look at the Switch and not imagine playing 3D World in it? If there ever was a game perfect for the Switch, this is it.

It's going to sell millions of copies and takes a small amount of effort that won't take away from brand new development. You're wrong.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I think at the very least it will prevent Nintendo from making new games in the franchise for a while. I was really hoping for a new 2D Mario and I doubt we'll get one for years if this port ends up selling well. So I'll just hope this rumor is false and it's actually a new game.

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on Wii U didn't stop Nintendo from doing BOTW.

Silly.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Now that is a fair point, but it could be that this port is also because the 2D Mario team is working on something different entirely, yet they still recognize the need for a 2D Mario on Switch. That's more likely imo.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
That would seem logical, but remember that this is the same company that released NSMB2 and NSMBU 4 months apart. Anything goes.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

Silly.
Zelda typically isn't an evergreen title and Nintendo often does more than one per console. The same can't be said for games like Mario Kart, Smash or 2D Mario (recently) so I think there is some merit to what I'm saying. I don't think Nintendo would release a Mario Kart 9 anytime soon even if it were complete because it would cut the legs from an evergreen MK8 Deluxe.

Now that is a fair point, but it could be that this port is also because the 2D Mario team is working on something different entirely, yet they still recognize the need for a 2D Mario on Switch. That's more likely imo.
Well I'd be cool with that, as long as whatever they're making ends up being great. I REALLY wanted a reinvention of 2D Mario on Switch but I'll take whatever they make as long as it's fun.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Silly.

Yeah, and the implication for both of those is that Nintendo felt bad BotW was taking so long to develop, Thus, they contracted outside help to port them up. To me that's the opposite of a problem and only bolster's a system library, and it means more funds to push forward development of major new titles.

To me this problem is just one of optics - it does look bad if Nintendo releases a bunch of ports in quick succession, but those issues will be put to rest in a matter of months. It's only more noticeable compared to the Wii U era because Nintendo has moved out of the years-long hype cycle.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda typically isn't an evergreen title and Nintendo often does more than one per console. The same can't be said for games like Mario Kart, Smash or 2D Mario (recently) so I think there is some merit to what I'm saying. I don't think Nintendo would release a Mario Kart 9 anytime soon even if it were complete because it would cut the legs from an evergreen MK8 Deluxe.
The MK team made ARMS, which just released last year and had a solid 6 or so months of post launch support that was all completely free. That team was busy, and even if they had a small crew doing preproduction on MK9 it would still be at least a year or two away regardless of MK8 Deluxe

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The MK team made ARMS, which just released last year and had a solid 6 or so months of post launch support that was all completely free. That team was busy, and even if they had a small crew doing preproduction on MK9 it would still be at least a year or two away regardless of MK8 Deluxe
I'm aware, that was a hypothetical scenario. I also think if Nintendo didn't port MK8 they would have forced the team to make MK9 instead of Arms and we'd have a new Mario Kart sooner. In this scenario I prefer things the way they are, but I doubt Nintendo would let the console go long without a Mario Kart game. The port existing means they don't need to worry about MK9. I'm hoping that wont be the case with 2D Mario but I think it would be, especially if the port has typical 2D Mario legs.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
They don't have a huge army of developers. Next time you finish one try to sit through the credits. Then compare that to the credits of a Ubisoft game.
That means they can develop a game with less developers than Ubi. Simple.. their games are smaller and less complex.

Yet.. they still have more than 5500 employees, devided over 13 teams.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
If it is releasing this year, I can't imagine it being announced any later than sometime in September.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
The ONLY way I would be okay with a NSMBU port is if they do All Stars 2 with the DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U games ALL in HD

They could even charge 60 dollars for that

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The ONLY way I would be okay with a NSMBU port is if they do All Stars 2 with the DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U games ALL in HD

They could even charge 60 dollars for that

Honestly, this would be amazing and easily worth a $60 price tag.

But if they didn't do a bundle of Tropical Freeze + DKC Returns HD, then they certainly won't do that. Unfortunately.

In regards to Mario Maker, this would sell much more so it makes sense that they would port this instead. (Mario Maker 2 is more likely anyway.)

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
You know overall I'm okay with it. People that arent hung up on aesthetics like me are gonna love it. I think a big partner of my bitterness is the existence of the title and how it was a launch title for Wii U. Wii got TP, Switch got BotW, and the Wii U launched with a super Mario side scroller. Like it's a great game but Jesus that is not what you launch with. It that launch line up followed by so many droughts got to me. Just real bitter about early Wii U.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
They will add a new level like Captain Toad with New Donk City.

Captain toad had a whole new chapter ... much more than just one level

7qg4wGi.png