• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
There's something i'm not sure about the whole deal - if Nintendo allows Microsoft to put the xbox live service on the switch, aren't they going to eat into each other sales (in regards to third-party sales)? Plus I don't see what does Nintendo get out of it in terms of synergy, Microsoft seems to get much more out of this deal.
Especially with xbox exclusives being on the switch.

I could see some kind of co-operation (like crossplay and n64 stuff) where you need both parties to cooperative to push out, but putting your competitor's software on your hardware? Unless I'm missing out something here.

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Politics aside this would be amazing. I'd buy an Xbox or PS "Switch light" in a heartbeat. If this worked well I'd be onboard just the same.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be neat if this made it possible to add more Rare 64 games to the Switch online service (when/if they add N64 games.)

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be neat if this made it possible to add more Rare 64 games to the Switch online service (when/if they add N64 games.)

Nintendo-64-Classic-Edition.jpg

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
There's something i'm not sure about the whole deal - if Nintendo allows Microsoft to put the xbox live service on the switch, aren't they going to eat into each other sales (in regards to third-party sales)? Plus I don't see what does Nintendo get out of it in terms of synergy, Microsoft seems to get much more out of this deal.
Especially with xbox exclusives being on the switch.

I could see some kind of co-operation (like crossplay and n64 stuff) where you need both parties to cooperative to push out, but putting your competitor's software on your hardware? Unless I'm missing out something here.

I think the service on Switch will only be through xCloud. So Microsoft can sell it as another platform where their service is available, and Nintendo gets:

* Additional software to play on the Switch.
* An incentive to their NSO service, so more players can see it as valuable.
* Probably this all is part of the deal to get Rare games on N64.
* As the previous point, probably part of another games coming like Ori, or Cuphead.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the service on Switch will only be through xCloud. So Microsoft can sell it as another platform where their service is available, and Nintendo gets:

* As the previous point, probably part of another games coming like Ori, or Cuphead.

I think Nintendo would ask for an actual cut of GamerPass revenues. MS probably tossed that idea around and decided in the long run it was worth it.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018

There's still a couple of uncertain points that I have through.

1. Ok so from what I understand the Microsoft gamepass contains their exclusive games? But why would you put your exclusive IPs like Cuphead and Ori and then put them on a competitor's console?

2. Gamepass and NSO service are separate right?

So if in exchange for rare games to be included into the N64, Microsoft gets to put their gamepass (with a cut to Nintendo), which may still end up eating into Nintendo's eshop sales and result in Microsoft losing xbox sales because their exclusive game pool shrinks... feels weird unless Microsoft intends to exit the game console industry?

Btw, i'm sorry if I appear bellicose in my response, but it doesn't seem to benefit both parties the way I see it.
The most I can see both parties working together is crossplay and N64 game licensing.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia

1. Ok so from what I understand the Microsoft gamepass contains their exclusive games? But why would you put your exclusive IPs like Cuphead and Ori and then put them on a competitor's console?

So if in exchange for rare games to be included into the N64, Microsoft gets to put their gamepass (with a cut to Nintendo), which may still end up eating into Nintendo's eshop sales and result in Microsoft losing xbox sales because their exclusive game pool shrinks... feels weird unless Microsoft intends to exit the game console industry?

Btw, i'm sorry if I appear bellicose in my response, but it doesn't seem to benefit both parties the way I see it.
The most I can see both parties working together is crossplay and N64 game licensing.

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Maybe, if the Game Pass games are only playable through xCloud, their reasoning is that people that really want the game will end up buying the native eShop version? I don't know the details of how Game Pass works, but maybe the version for Switch will only have a monthly rotating library, or they will only offer there titles with no Switch native version… 🤔

For Microsoft, besides adding value to their service right now, this is an strategic move in the same way they are getting studios under their umbrella. When Scarlett and PS5 comes, probably Sony and Microsoft will keep competing the same way. But, then an user will have to choose which one, and besides their classic strategy, and new first party games, they will now have a lot of Switch users seeing as very valuable to get the next Xbox console as they have shared services.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand

There was that tweet ( can't remember who it was) where a guy was saying nintnedo and MS were working on switch online together. And then he retweeted it when this gamepass thing came up.

Maybe its going to be an extra tier of NSOnline that give you the ability to stream certain xbox games. It would mean they could exclude stuff like ori and some 3rd party stuff, and would still make xbox the main place for gamepass.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
These things dont surprise me, yes they feel strange, but software revenues are bigger than hardware revenues, so it makes business sense for example to release some microsoft games on ps4 or switch for example or to make xbox live work there.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium

If you're paying microsoft money, why do they care where you use their software? This has been their model for windows since the beginning and they are abandoning the hardware game which has failed them on nearly every front and are returning to the model that has historically worked better for them.

For nintendos side - its less clear. I think they must know that their hardware will struggle in comparison to ps5 and nextbox so they might see this as a way to better compete moving forward. They have embraced streaming in japan so perhaps they just dont care so much about third parties (historically they havnt) and see this as a way of making switch more relevant to core gamers and then maybe selling them a copy of smash or mario kart into the bargain

I think there is no rare element to this deal, unless they put eg banjo in smash as part of the pr announcement

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
4k Nintendo games on Xbox one X would be beast. I bet my hubby would buy an X in an instant for that, and he only likes Nintendo consoles. I bet even the base Xbox could play games at at least 1080p.