• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Can we stop buying into every fucking thing these 'insiders' or 'leakers' claim?

Like seriously have we learned nothing from Metroid Prime 4 showing at the Game Awards? Prime Trilogy showing up at the last direct? Pokemon Stars? Mother 3 on Wii U VC? Star Fox Grand Prix? Or dozens of other things that never fucking happened?

Like we JUST went through this with Nintendo reviving a dead IP and everyone thinking it could be scalebound because a few 'insiders' claimed they heard something like that despite people that are actually generally in the know like Jason Schreier just flat out telling people that he thinks a lot of these insiders are just spreading information with themselves which I take to mean isn't true or there are major errors in what they claim.

Stop giving these people the time of day unless they have a proven track record. On that note, Liam has been wrong plenty of times before as well so take anything he claims with a grain of salt.
This. I'm sure Liam's been wrong before, yet people still go crazy over his 'insider' claims. I feel like half of these so called insiders are just attention seekers.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Goldeneye HD being resurrected would make a lot of people who complain about the original being dated happy. All I know is the music has never aged.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
That bit is very true regardless of anything else. Nintendo can't do N64 classic without Rare.
It isn't though. Nintendo could just throw all the N64 games from the Wii Virtual Console onto a classic console and it would still sell like hot cakes. When people hear they can play Mario Party, OoT, and Mario Kart 64 on an HDTV it'll sell itself.

Would no Rareware games suck? Fuck yea it would. They still have plenty of 1st party and 3rd party titles to remedy their exclusion though.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo somehow joined Microsoft's streaming service. But it's probably just Ori releasing on Switch or something.

Xmengrey

Banned
Jul 19, 2018
Oh ok now bring Smash, and the rest of the Switch games on Windows 10 it's either Nintendo does it or Yuzu, and Ryujinx so pick your poison.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What does MS get out of this? I'm sure they have some self interest.

Xcloud and Gamepass on more platforms. Google's game streaming service is just around the corner and Microsoft knows this, if they can secure Nintendo hardware for their services it would be a huge get.
And who knows, maybe Nintendo would be willing to add some of their games into Xcloud.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
It isn't though. Nintendo could just throw all the N64 games from the Wii Virtual Console onto a classic console and it would still sell like hot cakes. When people hear they can play Mario Party, OoT, and Mario Kart 64 on an HDTV it'll sell itself.

Would no Rareware games suck? Fuck yea it would. They still have plenty of 1st party and 3rd party titles to remedy their exclusion though.

It can sell 3x the number of hot cakes.. when people see in the box that it has Goldeneye or Banjo

Which I think is what Nintendo wants.

But generally honestly I think that N64 Classic won't do anywhere near as good as SNES or NES classic. It's a harder product to sell. Rare games and the party factor (4-player multiplayer) missing from it could make it fail.

Oct 27, 2017
This all seems pretty good for Nintendo. I bet we see something Nintendo on xbox too. It wouldn't be a 1st party game, but maybe something like Bayonetta 3 could show up on the xbox. That would be pretty neat.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Little do you guys know but when you open an Xbox One X inside there are... 4 switches glued together. It was their plan all along, we've been tricked.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Found it
4f353dd1-ebe5-46e6-b993-254cb4388694-jpeg.193652
Good good

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Not only that. But this may be the Trojan horse for Japanese developers. Japan is utterly not interested in Xbox One donestically, it just isn't a good relationship for many developers because of that reason. However, get Microsoft representation on the Switch, the only console that is selling gangbusters in Japan. Well, that just increases mindshare. And say if you're a Japanese developer, and every game you develop for the Xbox can easily come to Switch via that streaming service. Well... That would just innately be a no brainer for a Japanese developer. It could bring a lot of Japanese developers back to Xbox, and it could fix Microsoft's glaring problem with Japanese developers.
Back to Xbox? They never really left. The vast majority of Japanese games with some semblance of a market on Xbox get a multiplat release barring Sony moneyhats.

I just want Phantom Dust on the Switch, game could run at 1080p easy and would give a HUGE boost to the online as I feel Nintendo fans would be more interested in that kinda game.
Now we're talking.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nintendo x Microsoft with Nintendo covering the handheld and Microsoft covering the high end.

Xbox Live on both consoles, Gamepass Streaming to Switch, and cross-platform games starting with Halo Infinite. Older Nintendo games in 4K on One X using Microsofts insane emulation and upscaling chops.

That's my wishlist.

Why does Microsoft cover the high end? It's not like Nintendo can't develop a more powerful system. They simply don't fit in that market.

I don't see the synergy here outside of Nintendo using xbox live

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Another thought: Nintendo letting Microsoft do their Xbox Live shenanigans is no small thing. Corporations like Nintendo and Microsoft really value getting us consumers hooked into their user account networks and whatnot. Nintendo's apparently letting the Xbox account system barge into the Switch is a major compromise from Nintendo. I wonder what Nintendo got in return...

With the move towards online platforms and services I just don't see it. I don't see what Nintendo gains.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe two of the big three actually working together on something is a possibility in 2019 and some of you guys' best thing that could come out of that is Banjo in Smash...

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Microsoft sells licenses to live SDK, Nintendo develops future online service on it and takes advantage of all existing SDK features

One can only dream

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Goldeneye Remaster with online multiplayer crossplay on Switch and Xbox One/Play Anywhere.

A man can dream!

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I just want Phantom Dust on the Switch, game could run at 1080p easy and would give a HUGE boost to the online as I feel Nintendo fans would be more interested in that kinda game.
I totally forgot about Phantom Dust. Man, the community could get a 2nd life on Switch.

Edit: i think it Ms can bring over Mistwalker's games to Switch, it would probably sell better worldwide and in Japan than anywhere else. Give Sakaguchi his big payout.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow. The rumors just won't let Scalebound die in peace.

I am not getting my hopes up for anything though..but where's there's smoke there's firecrackers.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that Xbox One X and the Switch are currently my 1st and 2nd gaming device respectively, if there's more overlap between the two, even better. I'm already happy about the crossplay and the crossprogression on some titles. Bring me a couple "cross-exclusives" of sorts and Game Pass/xCloud for my Switch, and then I'll be a really happy person.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Right now I just want singular ports of Rare's 360 games on Switch at minimum. Viva Pinata, Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, Kameo: Elements of Power, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, MAYBE Perfect Dark Zero (plus the original), and a Banjo-Kazooie + Banjo Tooie 2-pack in a cart each.

One game I think would be sick to see and far easier and more manageable than Banjo-Threeie as a start, is a 3D remake of Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge. That's literally the closest we ever had to Banjo-Threeie anyway. Playtonic can easily handle that.

If Playtonic was going to make the game why would they even bother putting it on Switch? I don't really see the logic in that. Extra development costs to lose an exclusive and nintendo is not even helping to make it?

All the games you mentioned are on Rare Replay which would make sense to be a port.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I noticed a while back during the sea of thieves developer update videos just how much Nintendo paraphernalia was dotted around the Rare studio, and this clearly wasn't just remnants of the old Nintendo ownership days.
There certainly seems to be some kind of collaboration going on.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft will likely try to put Gamepass and possibly even Xbox Live on Switch. Microsoft seems adamant on having the Xbox as a service/ecosystem, and it being on a competing system that is so different from their own seems crazy enough to work.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft will likely try to put Gamepass and possibly even Xbox Live on Switch. Microsoft seems adamant on having the Xbox as a service/ecosystem, and it being on a competing system that is so different from their own seems crazy enough to work.
The games wouldnt run on switch though so gamepass wouldn't work.
xCloud however, would be something they could work with if they could get it working on Switch.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The games wouldnt run on switch though so gamepass wouldn't work.
xCloud however, would be something they could work with if they could get it working on Switch.
xCloud is true. There are some games that could work on the Switch. Lot's of indie stuff, Killer Instinct and Master Chief Collection ports, and of course new games made by Rare.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
xCloud is true. There are some games that could work on the Switch. Lot's of indie stuff, Killer Instinct and Master Chief Collection ports, and of course new games made by Rare.
Rare is actually pretty technically savvy, I don't know Sea of Thieves requirements on PC but on 360 Rares games were some of the technical best.
They could always have scaling settings I guess, it would just be more work for the developer.

The developers of Ori and the Blind Forest were teasing "something that would shake the industry" sometime before Christmas... Maybe that could be coming to Switch?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Do people actually think Nintendo would put their games on a competing platform or is it just "Nintendo is going third-party." wishful thinking.
Same as with the MS/Rare games on Switch thing. It's wishful thinking as of right now.

But seeing as how many are port begging for Xbox games in this thread, I really don't see the issue in doing the same for Nintendo games on Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
Same as with the MS/Rare games on Switch thing. It's wishful thinking as of right now.

But seeing as how many are port begging for Xbox games in this thread, I really don't see the issue in doing the same for Nintendo games on Xbox.

Nintendo's games are infinitely more valuable than any software Microsoft could trade with them. It literally makes no sense for them. Might as well go third party otherwise. This thread isn't representative of reality.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's games are infinitely more valuable than any software Microsoft could trade with them. It literally makes no sense for them. Might as well go third party otherwise.
I'd argue it doesn't really make sense for MS either. At least not in some of the ways that are being suggested in this thread.

Now, if Sea of Thieves, Rare Replay, Halo, Ori or any of MS' established 1st party games gets ported to / made availaible through Xcloud on Switch then the situation will change drastically.

Until then, I'm just not seeing it happening any time soon.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's games are infinitely more valuable than any software Microsoft could trade with them. It literally makes no sense for them. Might as well go third party otherwise. This thread isn't representative of reality.
Microsoft literally has said that there strategy is to bring their games to as many platforms as possible.

And while the Switch has made progress on Nintendo lacking mature games targeted toward Western male audiences, Microsoft would help that out. I can definitely see a Halo title on the Switch. It was once considered for the DS.

That said, I can see this being more realistic if there is some type of Microsoft app store you have to use or something.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I think this partnership is more of allusion to what Microsoft is expecting Google to bring to the table. They're trying to cover all bases, and finding a way to benefit from what's guaranteed to be the hottest console for the next 1.5-2yrs is way to bridge the gap to the next Xbox. Google might really have something legit.