• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
My thoughts are that the second discussion seems highly speculative, formed on a shaky basis. Minecraft was multiplat pre-acquisition. Hellblade was also a pre-acquisiton project. Neither sets a solid precedent for MS going out of its way to bring new content to Switch in the future.

That conversation can't be used as corroboration for the first comment from Liam Robertson. Mixing them together or linking them seems like adding 2 and 2 to get 5.

Regarding that first comment, taking it on its own, I guess without elaboration on what he's heard it's hard to know what he's talking about. But I have strong doubts Microsoft will be anything but an 'incidental' third party for Switch content. He could just be referring to all the XBL cross-platform SDK stuff which we've all heard about (?)

Last edited:

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Ask Microsoft since they're gearing towards that direction
Who knows if xCloud will have third party games on switch anyway? It could be simply a xbox exclusives streaming service, in which nintendo wouldnt be getting any less money than they wouldnt by not offering the option to play them on their console; And having the entirety of the switch userbase tied to microsofts services is far more enticing for them than native ports where they do spend more to get a cut of sales and nothing more.

I believe that all Xbox games will be able to run in XCloud. However I think there is a benefit for Nintendo, allowing games that can't run on Switch come to Switch via Streaming.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Xbox games coming to Switch. I can't see vice versa, however.
I would say it's less likely than Xbox games coming to Switch, but it's not completely out of the question either. ...then again, there's not a lot of evidence pointing to Xbox games coming to Switch. People are jumping to some pretty big conclusions here. So a lot of this thread feels pretty pointless tbh.

In my opinion, the most likely options are:
-Rare games in the N64 Classic console
-Rare/Minecraft/other Xbox reps in Smash. (in order from most likely to least)
-More Minecraft stuff coming to Switch with cross-play
-XBL support coming to select indie/3rd party games.

Dark horse:
-XCloud coming to Switch
-Goldeneye remake with cross-play

Not likely:
-Ports, ports everywhere

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are they shitting their pants, because of Google's gaming plans?
I think Microsoft has the cloud infrastructure to handle Google entering the ring. I think Sony might be more worried about google than Microsoft is.

I think it'll end up involving Microsoft's cloud network. I think Switch in Japan already has RE7 and ACO as streaming games for Switch but Nintendo doesn't have the infrastructure for that in America. This will probably result in a deal where Nintendo uses the Azure network to stream next gen games to Switch in North America.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty simple, really.

Nintendo wants content and technology for its platform.

Microsoft wants users for its content and technology.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
I think Microsoft has the cloud infrastructure to handle Google entering the ring. I think Sony might be more worried about google than Microsoft is.

Completely different competition next gen

Ms is clearly going to be taking on google etc in the services / pub area

Whilst Sony and Nintendo duke it in the home console market

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I don't think Sony and Nintendo will be competing much directly unless Sony throws their hat in the handheld ring again. It's possible that next gen, if Sony isn't hiding anything massive, that PS5 might be the only traditional console (which might be a really good thing for them or a really bad thing for them, only time could tell).

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

It's waaayy too early to tell where things will go next gen. Microsoft still sees the value in hardware, as evidenced by their continued support for Xbox hardware and the Surface brand.

While it's true that they are investing heavily in services and the XBL ecosystem, they'd be stupid if they didn't at least try to push their own hardware. It's their most visible window into their ecosystem after all.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Sony and Nintendo will be competing much directly unless Sony throws their hat in the handheld ring again. It's possible that next gen, if Sony isn't hiding anything massive, that PS5 might be the only traditional console (which might be a really good thing for them or a really bad thing for them, only time could tell).
Nah, Microsoft has at least one more traditional console gen in them.

Lesthe

Alt-account
Banned
Feb 19, 2019
France
- James Bond Theme starts. The Dam level appears on screen, fully remastered.
- We see a player moving throught the level, shooting ennemies, watching the dam.
- A Xbox Live notification appears to start Co-Op play. The player's controller appears on screen : it's a Switch Pro Controller.

Goldeneye: Crossed Eyes.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
It's waaayy too early to tell where things will go next gen. Microsoft still sees the value in hardware, as evidenced by their continued support for Xbox hardware and the Surface brand.

While it's true that they are investing heavily in services and the XBL ecosystem, they'd be stupid if they didn't at least try to push their own hardware. It's their most visible window into their ecosystem after all.

Microsoft ain't dropping hardware anytime soon. Not when they've only just starting turning out gear that is up there with the very best.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that this is a two-way thing and that we can get Nintendo stuff (big hitters at least) on Xbox. I doubt it (as exclusives are such an incentive to buy Nintendo consoles) but maybe some older stuff? Free money for Nintendo.
Even if the rumors is true, noting points to Nintendo stuff appearing on MS's platforms. Nintendo gain more from the rumors, I doubt it's real unless MS is so desperate for GAAS.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wild how quick people are to take some bait from some random jabroni on the internet. Nice non-committal statement "working on big things". Next.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
There is no way in which a service in the vein of Gamepass will be allowed by Nintendo.

For the same reason of why Nintendo decided to not imitate the model of Sony and Microsoft of including free indie games with its online service.

They don't want to devalue the perception of indie games in the eShop, creating the same trend of other systems, of people simply waiting until their desired games are included in the service.

And thanks to this, the Nintendo eShop is currently the most healthy environment for indie developers. And the only console ecosystem in which small developers are making an immediate profit in the release window.

If Nintendo decides to imitate the same model that has been proved as negative in the long term, and we only need to compare the initial sales of indie games on Switch respect to the rest of systems... why don't create their own subscription model, getting 100% of the cut?

The only possible scenario that I can see in this "collaboration" is Nintendo allowing Xbox Live, but not with crossplay buying: the users will need to continue purchasing the games on the eShop. Maybe with the only exception of Microsoft published games.

But forget a third party game not published by Microsoft added to your game library on Switch by purchasing the game in a different store, even if this game is including Xbox Live integration.

Other possible scenario is Nintendo allowing the Mario skins of 'Minecraft' in the rest of versions that include crossplay with the Switch version. At the end, this will not be very different from a Mario movie or a theme park with Mario characters. Including a promotional material of the character in a successful product to increase the awareness of the brand.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Even if the rumors is true, noting points to Nintendo stuff appearing on MS's platforms. Nintendo gain more from the rumors, I doubt it's real unless MS is so desperate for GAAS.
There really isn't a lot pointing to games going the other way either. So yeah, it's not happening unless Xbox has become desperate.

Edit: I'm talking specifically about ports here btw. XCloud is a different matter and something I could see happening if Nintendo allows it.

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to see Nintendo and MS execs on stage at E3 talking about some cool stuff they working on together.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
This would be a dream come true.

Imagine a combined streaming service hnnnnnnggggg......

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
The only game I can see Nintendo share with Xbox is Metroid. It would probably be for the best and I bet it would sell better on Xbox.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Wasn't there a point when Microsoft was releasing GBA games? I wonder if Microsoft will be releasing Switch content and offering network infrastructure support as a means of building its user base while also benefiting Nintendo.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just want Rare games on Switch. If Microsoft can see that Minecraft and Hellblade were okay to bring over I don't see why Rare's titles should be treated any different, especially with their history.

I'm just concerned Craig Duncan will get in the way.

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever it is, please be Microsoft working for Nintendo, not Nintendo working for Microsoft.

I can only think of the terrors of Microsoft somehow taking control of Nintendo in any capacity.

You're going to say "it's probably some collab situation". Yeah but even collabs are always more beneficial to one party than the other and Microsoft is known for messing thing up too often.

Lesthe

Alt-account
Banned
Feb 19, 2019
France
Phil "Grin Master" Spencer : Thanks to our healthy relationship, we can now unveil our incredible project !
Reggie Fils-Aimé : Yes. Our partnership will shatter barriers.
*Voice from Microsoft e3 conferences* : WORLD PREMIERE.

Introducing the Miis for Xbox One Dashboard.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I just want Rare games on Switch. If Microsoft can see that Minecraft and Hellblade were okay to bring over I don't see why Rare's titles should be treated any different, especially with their history.

I'm just concerned Craig Duncan will get in the way.
As mentioned several times over: Hellblade isn't a good example and no different than using The Outer Worlds as an example to ask for Xbox games on PS4.

Minecraft is not a good reason either. The franchise was made console multiplatform in 2013 when it came out on the PS3. Minecraft coming to Nintendo platforms is just the obvious next step in a process that started before MS acquired Minecraft.

Phil "Grin Master" Spencer : Thanks to our healthy relationship, we can now unveil our incredible project !
Reggie Fils-Aimé : Yes. Our partnership will shatter barriers.
*Voice from Microsoft e3 conferences* : WORLD PREMIERE.

Introducing the Miis for Xbox One Dashboard.
Avatars in Smash and Miis in Killer Instinct confirmed.

Whatever it is, please be Microsoft working for Nintendo, not Nintendo working for Microsoft.

I can only think of the terrors of Microsoft somehow taking control of Nintendo in any capacity.

You're going to say "it's probably some collab situation". Yeah but even collabs are always more beneficial to one party than the other and Microsoft is known for messing thing up too often.
I don't think anyone needs to worry about any of the parties taking control over the other. :)

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
I'm all for Microsoft making their content available on Switch. What would shock me would be Breath of the Wild or any other major Nintendo title showing up on XBone in 4K

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have a hard time getting excited for anything involving Nintendo and Microsoft unless it's a release of GoldenEye 007 HD on both with cross-platform multiplayer.

xCloud sounds like a massive pipedream.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Microsoft could certainly solve Switch's online problems, and Microsoft is leaning harder and harder into Xbox as a service...The Xbox and Switch are probably the least directly competitive of the relationships between the major platforms...

I have a feeling that this is going to be a really weird year in gaming news.

EDIT: Also, there is sorta a precedent for a relationship between two console-makers kind of resembling this: remember how the Neo Geo Pocket and the Dreamcast could link up?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sick that my dreams of earning PS trophies for Nintendo games seems to be dead.