• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
In terms of experiences that will come my way because of this news, the number is zero. I don't care about cross play, my group doesn't use it. It's a pure PR carrot imo, but actually has no real teeth.

What if you had good friends who lived across the country who only had one system, but you'd already bought a game on another system for $60? Being able to play together without shelling out another $60 is only a positive.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Cuphead is almost certainly coming to Switch. At Xbox's E3 presentation in 2018 they announced the Cuphead DLC as a "console launch exclusive" which is the designation they give to games that launch on Xbox, but eventually come to other platforms. There's no way that Xbox would let that game come to PS4, so the obvious answer is that it's coming to Switch.
If Cuphead comes to Switch or any other platform I imagine it will happen without Microsoft's involvement. It will be self-published or handled by a 3rd party publisher. Same goes for Super Lucky's Tale as well.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Having XBL SDK on Swiotch would be awesome. It allows MS to dive into the portable market without having to develop portable HW. I'm loving this MS/Nintendo relationship.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
What if you had good friends who lived across the country who only had one system, but you'd already bought a game on another system for $60? Being able to play together without shelling out another $60 is only a positive.
Yeah my point is this is not my scenario. Do you think it's common for people? If you have a tight gaming group of friends, you're all in tune with platform choice. Cross play benefits casual gaming friends who aren't paying attention to platform. In my experience these types of people aren't reliable gaming friends anyways. So yeah I think it's just a PR carrot. Core gamers know how to rally their friends into 1 ecosystem.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
If Cuphead comes to Switch or any other platform I imagine it will happen without Microsoft's involvement. It will be self-published or handled by a 3rd party publisher. Same goes for Super Lucky's Tale as well.
One of the developers said on ResetEra or NeoGaf that Cuphead was exclusive to Xbox and PC and that it wouldn't appear on any other platform. Studio MDHR published the first game, so this is almost certainly because of a deal with Microsoft (who partially funded the game and almost certainly used that money to secure exclusivity). If that's the case (and it's incredibly likely that it is), Microsoft would need to approve the game going to another platform, including the Switch. Sequels are a bit up in the air, because we're unsure of how the deal was structured, but the picture is pretty clear for the first game.

There is a chance the collaboration could be a Cuphead sequel, with both companies helping to fund the game/keep it off of PlayStation, but I'm not sure if that's a worthwhile endeavor for either company. Studio MDHR also owns the Cuphead IP and if Microsoft doesn't have some sort of right of first refusal, they can put it anywhere. They are also likely flush with cash because the Cuphead brand has been a merchandising juggernaut so far, so they would likely refuse any deal on a second game (especially one that included exclusivity) unless it was a godfather-type offer and just bring it to whatever platforms they wanted to.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt Nintendo will let you bypass their own store to play games like Hollow Knight or Fortnite. I think more about Ori for the Switch, as the studio director teased something about "surprising the industry", or a Microsoft Studio Pass to play their streamed games like it exists (in Japan) for Assassin's Creed Odissey or Resident Evil 7.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tweets were later deleted, but IndieGamerChick on Nintendo, who used to be tight with MS, said that Nintendo and Microsoft have been making deals behind the scenes. Strongly implying Smash Bros content and "things you plug into your TV" (probably N64 classic). She also talked about some of the behind the scenes industry scuttlebutt about Nintendo and Rare and MS. There was reportedly bad blood between Nintendo and Rare in various areas. Nintendo had a weird tendency to "forget" to showcase Rare's games at trade shows, for example. Also...

Allegedly, the "suggestion" that Dinosaur Planet be turned into Star Fox Adventures (with all the butchery of Krystal that entailed) was driven by Nintendo wanting to essentially take the IP away from Rare. They knew Rare were considering leaving (they'd been approached by MS as early as January 2000), and they didn't like the idea of Rare taking Dinosaur Planet with them. So they quietly stole it. The universe, the characters, and the game itself all became Nintendo's property.

Apparently MS and Nintendo are both interested in resurrecting the GoldenEye XBLA remaster, but there are rights issues with other parties.

This is some wild shit. You'd have to take quite a logical leap to get to this conclusion. This feels like some of the tinfoil hat nonsense you'd hear on DK Vine. Seriously Rare and Nintendo fans are kings of coming up with the most insane conspiracy nonsense ever. It makes even the "Miyamoto hates DKC" meme seem sensible in comparison.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
One of the developers said on ResetEra or NeoGaf that Cuphead was exclusive to Xbox and PC and that it wouldn't appear on any other platform. Studio MDHR published the first game, so this is almost certainly because of a deal with Microsoft (who partially funded the game and almost certainly used that money to secure exclusivity). If that's the case (and it's incredibly likely that it is), Microsoft would need to approve the game going to another platform, including the Switch. Sequels are a bit up in the air, because we're unsure of how the deal was structured, but the picture is pretty clear for the first game.

There is a chance the collaboration could be a Cuphead sequel, with both companies helping to fund the game/keep it off of PlayStation, but I'm not sure if that's a worthwhile endeavor for either company. Studio MDHR also owns the Cuphead IP and if Microsoft doesn't have some sort of right of first refusal, they can put it anywhere. They are also likely flush with cash because the Cuphead brand has been a merchandising juggernaut so far, so they would likely refuse any deal on a second game (especially one that included exclusivity) unless it was a godfather-type offer and just bring it to whatever platforms they wanted to.
Giving approval and being directly involved are two different things. Remedy had to ask for Microsoft's approval to release Alan Wake on Steam, for instance. Flashbulb Games (the successor to Press Play) was allowed to purchase the IP rights to Max and release it on PS4 and Switch. Doesn't really mean much in the context of a potential MS + Nintendo partnership.

Edit:
Not to mention there have been numerous indie games with similar deals that have eventually ended up on new platforms. It wouldn't be anything new.

One thing that would make a Cuphead port noteworthy is if it had XBL integration. If it comes to Switch without XBL integration though? Then it's just business as usual.

Last edited:

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft should asks Nintendo with some help about Japanese games. Like, what if Nintendo is used as an intermediary between Japanese publishers and Microsoft to forge good relationships?

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
The basis of this rumor is kind of dumb. It's Minecraft which is huge and is beneficial for it to be on every viable platform. And a port of a game that Ninja Theory was already working on for the Switch.

Basically we are saying Microsoft didn't cancel a Switch port (why would they) and continues to not restrict Minecraft to their ecosystem (why would they).

That doesn't seem to me like they are going to announce some crazy partnership

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
The basis of this rumor is kind of dumb. It's Minecraft which is huge and is beneficial for it to be on every viable platform. And a port of a game that Ninja Theory was already working on for the Switch.

Basically we are saying Microsoft didn't cancel a Switch port (why would they) and continues to not restrict Minecraft to their ecosystem (why would they).

That doesn't seem to me like they are going to announce some crazy partnership
And Ninja Theory isn't even responsible for the Switch port. It's being made by an independent port studio

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah my point is this is not my scenario. Do you think it's common for people? If you have a tight gaming group of friends, you're all in tune with platform choice. Cross play benefits casual gaming friends who aren't paying attention to platform. In my experience these types of people aren't reliable gaming friends anyways. So yeah I think it's just a PR carrot. Core gamers know how to rally their friends into 1 ecosystem.

I have every system and I game a lot. But it sounds like you are in a "head down, eyes forward" type of setup where you only ever want to play with a specific group of people. Which is a choice, I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think that you might be on to something with the N64 Mini. Makes sense, Nintendo 64's greatest are Rare games, and surely Microsoft would love to have some of that money.

It's not only the money, it would increase the value of their IP's. And with no cost at all for them. If the price is right, it would be a good deal for both companies.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I think GoldenEye 007 makes sense. It was announced then cancelled, and it's likely the extent of the partnership. The game will be on both Xbone/Switch with crossplay online.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think GoldenEye 007 makes sense. It was announced then cancelled, and it's likely the extent of the partnership. The game will be on both Xbone/Switch with crossplay online.

Activiion no longer holds the game rights and I think Sony lost the film rights so yeah. Time is now for a goldeneye rerelease.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are definitely some weird takes in this thread...

I could see that "leak" post as being true, but only because certain details could just make plain sense. If Nintendo wants to do an N64 Classic, they'd need to work with Microsoft on the Rare properties. That's pretty straightforward.

It's not too crazy to think that from there, they moved on to other topics of discussion. Microsoft's upcoming streaming service would be right at home on Switch if Nintendo would allow it. My dream scenario would be Xbox Live integration on Switch with stuff like Achievements, but that might be a bit too pie in the sky.

Not quite sure where people get ideas like Nintendo buying back Rare from this though.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Does this person have a reputation or are they some rando? I find it very hard to believe that MS would give up Rare. Sea of Thieves must be making bank, in spite of the initial reception.
I'm not sure, I've heard mixed things about her credibility.

But she's not suggesting that Nintendo will acquire Rare again, just that there will be some crossover content coming up between the two (namely the N64 Classic and Smash, perhaps more).

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure, I've heard mixed things about her credibility.

But she's not suggesting that Nintendo will acquire Rare again, just that there will be some crossover content coming up between the two (namely the N64 Classic and Smash, perhaps more).
You sure? "Coming home" heavily implies coming home to Nintendo.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, rare games on the n64 classic and the character for the smash dlc.
That stuff is teased earlier in the tweet. "Coming home" is mentioned at the very end after "and then were still at the table. And that was baffling". It's pretty clear to me what she's implying, and I don't believe it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Really would love to see some crossover with Killer Instinct to help revitalize the IP even more, playing on the Nintendo/Rare connection.
I'm hoping for a KI2 on next gen Xbox to really push the Xbox hardware, but I don't know how the Switch could handle a port if that's even likely.
Them porting the current KI to Switch doesn't seem impossible since it's been on Steam for a while, and it's not exactly demanding in terms of hardware. I'd pick it up for the heck of it and with crossplay I could finally play friends who would never ever buy a Microsoft console, lol.

But regardless, I'd like to see KI Gold on a N64 classic if that happens, and some sort of appearance in Smash even if it isn't a DLC character. I'll take a trophy or even some Spirits. Anything will do.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
One of the more interesting possible "smoke signals" to me on some type of working together between Microsoft and Nintendo is the hiring of Damon Baker from Nintendo to be the head of Xbox games portfolio/3rd party publisher relationships or something. It sure seems that people in his position would have a non-compete type clause for some period of time, and yet he announced his leaving of Nintendo in December and hit the ground running at Xbox it would seem. Nintendo may have chosen to waive such a clause if they are looking to do some things together for example.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That stuff is teased earlier in the tweet. "Coming home" is mentioned at the very end after "and then were still at the table. And that was baffling". It's pretty clear to me what she's implying, and I don't believe it.
Don't take it that literally. All those previous tweets heavily implied collaboration, not acquisition.

All coming home means is coming back to a Nintendo platform, it doesn't mean they'll be owned by Nintendo.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Don't take it that literally. All those previous tweets heavily implied collaboration, not acquisition.

All coming home means is coming back to a Nintendo platform, it doesn't mean they'll be owned by Nintendo.
We disagree there, that's all there is to it. So I don't find that source credible. Especially with the tweet being deleted now, I couldn't find it anyway.

Last edited:

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
There are definitely some weird takes in this thread...

I could see that "leak" post as being true, but only because certain details could just make plain sense. If Nintendo wants to do an N64 Classic, they'd need to work with Microsoft on the Rare properties. That's pretty straightforward.

It's not too crazy to think that from there, they moved on to other topics of discussion. Microsoft's upcoming streaming service would be right at home on Switch if Nintendo would allow it. My dream scenario would be Xbox Live integration on Switch with stuff like Achievements, but that might be a bit too pie in the sky.

Not quite sure where people get ideas like Nintendo buying back Rare from this though.

Some people tend to not be able to be logical when they start to speculate.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think we're getting an N64 Classic.
I mean your right.

I don't know why people keep holding on to that. The only reason the NES and SNES classic existed in the first place was to keep their brand up their while they were working on the Switch since the Wii U definitely wasn't doing that.

With the Switch successful as it is, it makes no sense to do a N64 classic. Just do a N64 virtual console on the Switch or something similar to it (Probably tie it in to NSO knowing Nintendo.)

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I follow so many folks on Twitter now that I forget who "Direct-Feed games" really is. But... They just posted a video claiming they have multiple sources to back up Ori coming to Switch, as well as an "Xbox" app that supports streaming Game Pass titles.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
If this happens at all, Scalebound is uncancelled will be available on Xbox / PC and Switch

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This would have been out of the left field just a few years ago, but now it's really not surprising after all the recent developments.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Why put ori on the switch if they want to sell ganepass subscriptions? Why not just put it on gamepass and put gamepass on the switch?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Why put ori on the switch if they want to sell ganepass subscriptions? Why not just put it on gamepass and put gamepass on the switch?
Game Pass on Xbox doesn't support streaming as of right now.

Game Pass on Switch could theoretically be a mix of native and streamed games, so Ori getting ported doesn't necessarily prevent it from being part of XGP.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
It could bring a lot of Japanese developers back to Xbox, and it could fix Microsoft's glaring problem with Japanese developers.

I mean, hindsight being 20/20 and all, but I still can't believe Microsoft didn't just call the Xbox the MSX Box in Japan, using the same MSX font for the first part.