RUMOR: Nintendo approached Valve for exclusive Switch game, Half-Life Tactics (cancelled)

May 2, 2018
Valve released their first game in five years last Fall. It was Artifact, a Dota-themed TCG. It had less than 500 peak concurrent players today.

I totally believe that Valve are that ignorant.
Artifact's scenario is no where near as egregious as the one suggested here. You're comparing a dinky little card game, versus a tactics entry in a legendary PC franchise that has been memed to hell and back for a lack of new installments, that would have been exclusive to a platform most PC gamers don't even own. These aren't remotely comparable.

Oct 25, 2017
They tried to sell mods for games.
I think that had good intentions it was just very poorly executed. Valve has always been a big supporter of the mod community, from hiring modders and making new, more polished versions of their products to selling community made content in their games and giving the creators a cut.

It really should have been an optional donation system for verified mod creators where the creator makes all the money minus taxes (they have a similar system in place for TF2 map makers who have maps that go official).

Oct 28, 2017
I think that had good intentions it was just very poorly executed. Valve has always been a big supporter of the mod community, from hiring modders and making new, more polished versions of their products to selling community made content in their games and giving the creators a cut.

It really should have been an optional donation system for verified mod creators where the creator makes all the money minus taxes (they have a similar system in place for TF2 map makers who have maps that go official).
Well, i don't necessarily disagree that they were well intentioned (I do thing it'd be good if mod makers could make some money) but their implementation, as you said, was trash. But that's sort of my point. They've had good intentions before, and fucked up.

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like if Nintendo had to choose they'd choose Portal over Half Life. An FPS puzzle game with humor, even dark, fits in way more than a horror lite post apocalyptic shooter.

Plus, I doubt Valve would be that tonedeaf.

Oct 25, 2017
i was about to say, isn't this the same channel that spread that rumor about Valve firing half their VR team a week or two ago?
And made a video about how one of the Portal writers returned to Valve as a full time writer, when it was false.
And made a video about Counter-Strike having an ARG, which was also fake.

VNN is not a credible source for anything.

Oct 29, 2017
I have an unconfirmed rumor that left 4 dead 3 is just a hat trading game. Now this is uncofirmed but my secret source and not my valve fan fiction folder say it's just hat jpgs you trade for ones you like. There will even be a TF2 cross promo item where the cool hat is in the game. Also there's hats for the guns as well

Dec 19, 2017
Gabe Newell and Shigeru Miyamoto were in the closet making babies, and I saw one of the babies, and then the baby looked at me.
"kill me..."
hoju backs away from the baby and begins closing the closet door.
"don't leave meee..."

It's not cancelled, it's just coming soon to the Epic Game Store.
Ahaha.

"Why would you do this to us Steam players Gabe?"
"Look, Epic offered us devs the best deal. Competition is good."
"!?"

Jul 4, 2018
"VNN" is basically random clickbait, so while it's not impossible that this happened, I really wouldn't put much stock into it.
When I pointed this out in the thread about Valve firing half their VR team a couple people tried to call me out on it. I specifically mentioned wait for other sources to report on it and take him with a grain of salt.
I like Tyler but he's a fanboy that will create clickbait and stir up hype over nothing and reports on literally any crumb of info no matter how plausible or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I feel like this is mostly BS to get Nintendo viewers as he's been branching out to Nintendo News in addition to Valve.
Being able to pander two fanbases with single video is almost too good of coincide.