• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm ready for a full 3D Remake of gen 1 for Switch or even a gen 1 that takes place a very long time later.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I'd be really interested in a Gen 1 sequel than a remake. I want to revisit Kanto under a new story.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Smash Bros is absolutely nailed on for 2018 I would think.

Pretty sure we'll see it in the first Direct of the year.

- Same engine as the Wii U game

- Inklings, Spring-Man, Ice Climbers and more.

- Updated or new versions of older characters. BotW Link with his items, Mario with throwable cap etc.

- 3DS, Wii U and new stages.

- New game modes.

That would in essence be Smash 5. I'd be down with that.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Why does this Pokémon game have to be gen 8? There are just too many Pokémon, adding more too fast may alienate new and casual fans.

My guess is next year game is a remake, a remake for everyone; both casuals and pros: Kanto Revisited. Red and Green but the gimmick here is every single of the 151 Pokémon is the alternate, similar to Alolan Vulpix or Exeggutor. Every single one gets new typings. Think it as a parallel universe Kanto. That way all Pokémon in the game would be both new and old same time.
Because new Pokémon is the main selling point of a new generation. Maybe we'll get a remake later down the road, but Game Freak isn't gonna start their Switch run with the franchise with a pair of remakes.

They don't always follow a release pattern. BW got sequels instead of third version, XY did not get any third version at all. They can always surprise us but one thing is certain, they are reluctant to create even more pokémon. I think we might get more alternates rather than brand new pokémon.
What makes you think that they're reluctant to create more Pokémon.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't they always kinda push Kanto though? I guess Sun/Moon is more in your face about it with the Alolan forms and whatnot.

Also I kinda don't see Pokemon's debut on a console as a remake. They always start a new generation before doing a remake. Guess we'll see. Game Freak may be very traditional but they sometimes do break tradition like B2W2 instead of a 3rd version.
If it was Sinnoh like what they're supposed to do next then that'd be lame but since Kanto is the one that everybody remembers the most, I can easily see them making another game in that region and then do Gen 8 next.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I really hope that the first Switch game is Gen 8, and that it changes up the formula as much as possible and stays as far away from Kanto as possible. I'm sick and tired of any and all Gen 1 nostalgia, give another region some love, please.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they Gen V it and make you do the main game with a all new 150 pokemon
I do too, but not expecting that anymore. I thought going off of patterns, gen 7 was going to be a huge gen in terms of number of new pokemon, especially since they didn't need to worry about doing all new models for every single old pokemon too like in gen 6.

Brite_Boy

Dec 7, 2017
Los Angeles
That's a silly way of thinking, both Brawl and Smash 4 have disappointed people and with things like Smash Run and Smash Tour, no real single player content, extra moves being random, tripping, removal of fan favorites (rip Snake and Wolf), still no decent online, etc, I can't wait for someone to take a shot at Smash 5.

Not sure what you mean by 'disappointed people', I'm sure it's disappointed melee fans or competitive gamers but it has mass-market appeal, it sells the most to the casual fans. But people are definitely allowed to have differing opinions, and mine is that it just wouldn't be what it is without Sakurai.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that the first Switch game is Gen 8, and that it changes up the formula as much as possible and stays as far away from Kanto as possible. I'm sick and tired of any and all Gen 1 nostalgia, give another region some love, please.
What gen 1 love? We haven't played in that region in a decade.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
In XY, you get a kanto starter by default, gen 1 has the most megas, the forest is literally viridian forest, Mewtwo is hiding in a postgame cave, the legendary birds,etc. In SM, alolan forms, a lot of gen 1/kanto references, etc. Also, kanto was in HGSS.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Huh? There's been tons of Gen 1 love in recent years. Pokemon the Origin, Pokemon I Choose you, a huge focus on Mewtwo and the many Gen 1 Mega Evolutions in Gen 6, and Gen 1 Pokemon being the only being the only Pokemon to get alolan forms in Sun and Moon are some examples of what I mean. I love Generation 1 as much as the next person, but I've visited Kanto 4 times. Even after 7 years, I don't need to go back. That's just my view, though.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the first week of Jan. I think if their plan is to continue the trend of one big 1st party game every month (not sure thats possible, but a man can dream) then they need to announce the jan one pretty fast

Maybe I'm alone on this but I don't mind if Nintendo skips out on January for any big new releases. Having a catch up month for all of the previous year's releases as well as any Christmas gifts I receive is nice.

ITSMILNER

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This time last year we were all getting hyped for the Switch reveal event in January.....seems like that was only yesterday

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Hope Pokemon engine wise is going to be more then a prettier Sun and Moon. I think it's still going to be top down though.

I'm expecting Fire Emblem and Animal Crossig sneak peeks in this Direct.

Don't think there will be a mainline Pokemon in 2018.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You guys summed it up for me. I always wanted them to do a Kanto remake for their HD + console debut, but I always thought of it as some sort of dream that wouldn't happen, but now I actually see it having a chance. You guys won't believe how happy I am if they announce that!!

As of the Direct, second week of January (9-11/01) seems most likely yeah. I think it will be a relatively packed Direct with a lot of reveals for games in 2018, kind of similar to the event early this year. Third-parties have bevome much more interested in the Switch, so if Nintendo is okay with it (and they probably are), I think we'll see a lot of third-party stuff in there too.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I can't think of a major release in February by Nintendo, so I think they need this direct sooner rather than later to keep that momentum, hoping for first half of the year... but due to christmas delays in development they might need a few more weeks to finalise those trailers so it might be pushed forwards.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Saying there's too many Pokemon is like saying there's too many animals in the world.

And Kanto again? Sigh...

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
All you people that want to see Kanto remade and that there are too many pokemon are going to be sorely disappointed. Tired of this gen 1 pandering, XY was enough. We need to see remakes of at least gen 4 and gen 5 before we see another remake of gen 1. It's going to be a new generation and the games will come out November 2019.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
They are definitely going to do something Kanto related I think. Between the popularity of Pokemon go with people who haven't played Pokemon in years, and the popularity of the switch with people who haven't played Nintendo in years, they'd be pretty dumb not to. For those people a Pokemon game with some new weird looking characters on the cover they've never heard of and no Pikachu, Squirtle etc would be meaningless.

Then again it's more the Pokemon companys decision than Nintendo's, and they are pretty dumb historically.

Last edited:

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
But modern Kanto in HD!! :D

The Wed-Fri planning is mainly because they announce the Direct earlier in the week. Wonder if a Direct that would discuss (some of) the 2018 games would be announced earlier than a regular Direct?
They could, but why would they? People have been watching Directs for years. I think changing the livestream date/time would have more to do with the actual stream (i.e. amount of news coverage and viewers) than with its content. And I think they're happy with how things are going now, so I don't see a reason for them to change that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no such thing as too much Kanto pandering as far as I'm conerned. So much complaining about it. It started the Pokémon series off so I don't see the problem.

I want to revisit Kanto. Idc about Kanto Pokémon showing up in other Pokémon games.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

yeah, i love R&B but we already did 30 rounds of gen 1 nostalgia. time to move on.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
yeah, i love R&B but we already did 30 rounds of gen 1 nostalgia. time to move on.

Going to Kanto in Gold and Silver is the only time it's been pulled off in a decent way though. Having a few Kanto Pokemon in an otherwise new world with all new Pokemon doesn't really count as nostalgia, neither does being allowed a Kanto starter alongside your new one. That's just base level threads running through all the games. Generations 3 and on have been great still in their own way but don't really feel part of the same world as 1 and 2 at all.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A modern sequel or complete reboot with a ton of innovations would be amazing. I could see it being phenomenal if they took risks with it like BoTW and Odyyssey did.
Yeah that's a great point. It can be the gen they "Botw" it. It'd be so amazing to see all the changes they do to the whole region.

You'd have the excitement of first Pokémon game in HD. You'd have the excitement of gen 1 being remade in 3D HD. You'd have the excitement of the first Pokémon to make some really big changes. All of this coming to a great system like the Switch.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I think Black & White was probably the best gen in the series because it's the only one where they had the courage to go "Actually, you'll use this region's Pokemon and ONLY this region's Pokemon."

I swear to god if I have to go through another Zubat cave I am going to lose it

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i doubt they had enough time to properly "BOTW" it, nor did they hire enough staff to do so.

I think Black & White was probably the best gen in the series because it's the only one where they had the courage to go "Actually, you'll use this region's Pokemon and ONLY this region's Pokemon."

I swear to god if I have to go through another Zubat cave I am going to lose it

i agree but instead of using Zubat they just made another Zubat.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
A modern sequel or complete reboot with a ton of innovations would be amazing. I could see it being phenomenal if they took risks with it like BoTW and Odyyssey did.

I know I'm being wildly unrealistic here but I am secretly hoping for an open world 3D single player game with similar art style and graphics to breath of the wild. Imagine using your Pidgey to fly to the top of an icy mountain (in real time, like the BotW paraglider) and discovering a group of Piloswine chilling in a snowy meadow at the top, and a blue glow coming from a crack that you have to figure out how to open in the hope it's Articuno. Now add this concept to a whole BotW style world, but with dark forests, wide deserts, hidden underground caves that span long distances, etc. Make catching Pokemon a fun minigame where you have to sneak up on them then hit them directly with the ball like Pokemon Go or something. You could add a camera based sidequest chain like in Zelda but make it more like Pokemon Snap, based on the Pokemon behaviour and luring them etc. You could make a battle stadium which allows you to draw your Pokemon from the game and from Pokemon bank to battle online and locally like Pokemon Stadium. Sorry kinda went off on a tangent there but the things you could do are insane and even outstrip Breath of the Wild I'd say - in the sense Pokemon fits that kind of world even better. If the next Pokemon Switch isn't this type of game (which is probably a given), it's absolutely necessary to be created one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.