• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandpa_Pixel

Nov 10, 2017
United Kingdom
It's very believable this one. Mainly because Nintendo don't usually do a December Direct and instead focus on a January or February. And considering the current prospect of 2018 for the Switch, January is required to re-assure gamers that 2018 will be as great as 2017

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
i could see another 1st/3rd part collab, and Luigi's Mansion in Jan.
don't think we'll see Smash.
Hopeful for Retro

Smash makes sense to me as a game to launch the online service with, but yeah it's complete speculation.

Retro is a complete question mark. Depends on how ambitious their game(s) is/are. If it's something extremely ambitious or high budget I think it'll wait till E3.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i could see another 1st/3rd part collab, and Luigi's Mansion in Jan.
don't think we'll see Smash.
Hopeful for Retro

I fully expect Luigi's Mansion 3 to come soon. Dark Moon was a giant success for them, and with them focusing on just one platform, no reason not to see a release of every one of their IPs on the Switch.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Kid Icarus Uprising also pretty damn successful on the 3DS?

I expect a Switch sequel.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anything from
RetroStudiosLogo.png
?

Oct 27, 2017
All I really want from it is to see the next mainline Animal Crossing and the new Story of Seasons.

Those are the perfect titles for the system, and I need them now please.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Wonder what the "web update" portion of it means. Hopefully the switch finally gets a web browser, and maybe even a good UI with some nifty background music/folders/themes.

VC would also be nice, since it's been nearly a year since those Eurogamer VC rumors came out and I was hugely disappointed to see no retro classics on the system at launch or period until recently with the Nintendo/Irem ACA games

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we would all have been shocked if there wasn't a direct in January. After all, they don't have a major announced game for January or February yet.

The real question for me is how and when they'll reveal the next Zelda DLC. Personally, I'd drop it on Christmas Eve. Most people have already paid for it so it would feel like a free Christmas present to all the Zelda fans.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think we would all have been shocked if there wasn't a direct in January. After all, they don't have a major announced game for January or February yet.

The real question for me is how and when they'll reveal the next Zelda DLC. Personally, I'd drop it on Christmas Eve. Most people have already paid for it so it would feel like a free Christmas present to all the Zelda fans.
They'll probably reveal Zelda DLC 2 at the VGAs.

As for me, the only things I'm expecting are Fire Emblem, Kirby details, Yoshi details with a finalized title, possibly an Animal Crossing reveal to capitalize on the Pocket Camp hype, and MAYBE Retro's new game (huge maybe here). TPC likes to do Pokémon reveals on their own terms (plus it'd probably be too soon after US/UM to reveal anything). We MAY get a reveal for who's developing MP4, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be extremely surprised if there wasn't a direct before January is up given that they have not announced an exact release date for a single 2018 Switch title yet, and presumably they're gong to be releasing some Switch games in Q1.

Quo Vadis

Oct 27, 2017
I mean 4 months would have passed since the last Direct....and over a month since their last big game (Xenoblade 2)...so yea, we all kinda saw this one's coming.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably reveal Zelda DLC 2 at the VGAs.

As for me, the only things I'm expecting are Fire Emblem, Kirby details, Yoshi details & a finalized title, and MAYBE Retro's new game (huge maybe here). TPC likes to do Pokémon reveals on their own terms (plus it'd probably be too soon after US/UM to reveal anything). We MAY get a reveal for who's developing MP4, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
I'm expecting a small Metroid Prime 4 gameplay footage teaser. Retro's title I expect for E3. And remember, Sakurai has been working on something - we might get an announcement in the Direct perhaps?

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm expecting a small Metroid Prime 4 gameplay footage teaser. Retro's title I expect for E3. And remember, Sakurai has been working on something - we might get an announcement in the Direct perhaps?
We probably won't get MP4 anytime soon (hence the "In Development" statement at E3). If we do get any gameplay, it'd likely be a small teaser.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should reveal stuff coming in 2018 ala January Nintendo Switch presentation.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
This Direct will likely be a huge one, I'm thinking from now on every January will have a huge Direct announcing games for the year and teases some the year after games. Anyway for this Direct I wouldn't be surprised if...

Animal Crossing
Pikmin 4
Retro's game
Metroid Prime 4 footage
GTAV?
Next Level Switch game (if it's 2018)
And tons of more third party game announcements, maybe even a confirmation of Dragon Ball Fighter Z.
With the exception of Next Level Switch game this seems fairly reasonable. Next Level games was taking 4 years to make wii/3DS games. I have little confidence they could make a Switch title in 2 years time.

I think we could see SSB4.5 before Retros new game. Retros new game will probably be a holiday title and every one of their previous projects have always been anounced at E3. Regardless this year, Im thinking we will see SSB4.5, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Retros new projects, Mario Maker(or 2D Mario), Prime 4 and Fire Emblem.

We probably won't get MP4 anytime soon (hence the "In Development" statement at E3). If we do get any gameplay, it'd likely be a small teaser.

Prime 4 was listed in some regions for 2018 post E3. I think there is something more to show and that Prime 4 will be their next BotW/Odyssey like project they will showcase.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Prime 4 was listed in some regions for 2018 post E3. I think there is something more to show and that Prime 4 will be their next BotW/Odyssey like project they will showcase.
Really? Pretty much everywhere I've looked said "In Development" or "TBD" in regards to when it'll come out. I'd be genuinely surprised if MP4 came out next year. At least Pokémon was listed as "2018 or Later", implying that they're hoping to get the game(s) done by next year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're definitely not going to reveal everything at the January Direct as far as Nintendo first party goes. They'll save one thing for a March/April Direct and one more for E3.

Retro's game will either be in January or E3 depending on what the game is. If it's a brand new IP is HAS TO be January Direct.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, this is the first Direct in a while where I'm expecting a lot. Normally I'm not, but we really know nothing about the 2018 lineup.

They NEED to deliver here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This Nintendo Direct has to talk about Nintendo's paid online finally! Also, I think whatever virtual console turns out to be will be explained here too.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo can/should put up all the games due in 2018, while leaving a few small indie surprises/ 2019 games for e3, similar to what they did this year.

This way, you establish the whole year, and hype people for the upcoming games.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Wasn't the 2018 just some retailers that didn't know how to interpret "in development"?

This Nintendo Direct has to talk about Nintendo's paid online finally! Also, I think whatever virtual console turns out to be will be explained here too.

I think Nintendo will announce how their services work outside the Directs, just as during 2017.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Really? Pretty much everywhere I've looked said "In Development" or "TBD" in regards to when it'll come out. I'd be genuinely surprised if MP4 came out next year. At least Pokémon was listed as "2018 or Later", implying that they're hoping to get the game(s) done by next year.
Initially Nintendo at E3 listed it as 2018 and said this:

"We've announced a nice lineup through this year, and next year we have some big games coming with Metroid Prime 4. 2018 will be around Metroid, Kirby, Yoshi, new Pokemon game has been announced.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...elease-date-UPDATE-Nintendo-Switch-games-list

However, it was quickly redacted and updated to TBD. It couldve been a slip up or a genuine miscommunication. If it's their big holiday title, I think we will see it in the January direct. If it isn't then we probably wont see it again until E3.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
EA continues to bring joy to gamers purely by accident.

My heart is excited for 2018. But my wallet, it is afraid.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
My safest of guesses would be:

* Octopath Traveller info
* Kirby release date
* Yoshi infor
* Fe (as per this memo) - release date
* Nintendo Online - info and releasedate
* First overhaul of the OS.. it's about time. The E-shop has outgrown itself.
* Previously unrevealed Nintendo game (pikmin?)
* Fire Emblem Trailer
* Indiegame reel - Owboy, Hollow Knight, Inside etc..
* A decent amount of midsized third party games
* Ubisoft games of sort (still hoping for South park..)

Less safe but something I could see happen

* Hearthstone
* One or two big game ports (just like Doom and Wolfenstein)
* DBZ
* Platinum Games something something
* Smash

Wont happen

* DQXI first trailer
* Pokemon first trailer
* Metroid Prime 4 first trailer (yeah I think this has E3 all over it)
* Megaton third party announcement
* Retro Studios game (also E3)
* From Software something something

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
* Hearthstone
* One or two big game ports (just like Doom and Wolfenstein)
* DBZ
* Platinum Games something something
* Smash

Wont happen

* DQXI first trailer
* Pokemon first trailer
* Metroid Prime 4 first trailer (yeah I think this has E3 all over it)
* Megaton third party announcement
* Retro Studios game (also E3)
* From Software something something

I'm curious, what do you classify as big game ports versus megaton third party announcements? Like, is GTAV a big game port? And RDR2 would be a megaton? Or is megaton more like Half-Life 3, aka never happening?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
My (insane) predictions:

3DS:

1.Strange Journey Redux gets a release date
2. Pokemon Crystal is coming to 3DS eshop
3. Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon get a new mystery gift pokemon

Switch:

1. Metroid Prime 4 brief cg trailer
2. Fire Emblem Switch gameplay reveal and official name reveal, Coming Fall 2018
3. Dark Souls 1 for Nintendo Switch port revealed with exclusive content
4. Kirby: Star Allies gets a release date
5. Yoshi gets a name and a release date
6. Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes gameplay reveal
7. Project Octopath Traveler gets an official name and release date
8. Bandai Namco Exclusive 1 revealed
9. Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy coming to Switch later this year (this isn't Switch exclusive)
10. Breath of the Wild DLC 2 trailer and release date
11. Dragon Ball FighterZ coming to Switch later this year
12. Okami HD coming to Switch later this year
13. Bethesda games Wolfenstein 2 and The Evil Within 2 coming to Switch later this year

jmizzal

Oct 27, 2017
My (insane) predictions:

3DS:

Switch:

2. Fire Emblem Switch gameplay reveal and official name reveal, Coming Fall 2018
9. Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy coming to Switch later this year (this isn't Switch exclusive)
13. Bethesda games Wolfenstein 2 and The Evil Within 2 coming to Switch later this year

Breath of the Wild DLC 2 is coming in Dec.

Also I think FE Switch will be more Summer game

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I'm curious, what do you classify as big game ports versus megaton third party announcements? Like, is GTAV a big game port? And RDR2 would be a megaton? Or is megaton more like Half-Life 3, aka never happening?

Gta would fall in the big game port(biggest i guess) rdr2 would definately be megaton :p also thinking a big exclusive from a aaa publisher would be fitting in this category.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think these predictions are insane
They'll probably reveal most, if not all their 2018 lineup and then follow up with more info at E3

It worked this year

Oct 27, 2017
My (insane) predictions:

3DS:

Switch:

Why would they have a Direct for something that's already out? The DLC is coming out in December

Status
Not open for further replies.