• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking back on it I suppose the only time MS worked out a deal for devs to take the IP back was in cases where MS closed the studio (Press Play) or they divorced from Microsoft (Twisted Pixel). Perhaps if things were dire like Kamiya said perhaps MS could have worked something out?

But to not include something in that deal if a competitor picked it up would be atypical of them going off the FASA contract details.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy

"In order to resist the creatures, humanity developed a special weapon: the Legion. The Legion acts as your partner, and helps with your investigations. However, it's in battle where the Legion shows its real ability...

Work together with the Legion and use all sorts of combat styles to fight your enemies. You could both attack the same enemy simultaneously, target different opponents, or send your Legion on the offensive while you support it with items. Use this synergetic action system to battle and explore together!"

Sounds familiar?

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/astral-chain-switch

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I'm sorry but Scalebound makes 0 sense for me. Like Kamiya and Ms legit said "fuck off" to each other and you expect him to come back and try to make a deal happen between Nintendo and Ms.

I mean just ask Nintendo to fund a game based on the same concept. Way less work and I'm sure it would end up better.

It makes sense to me. Scalebound deviated from what the original concept of the game was, and Nintendo wanted to make Kamiya's passion project come to fruition. So Platinum Games stepped in to get the IP back.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
If Astral Chain was really Scalebound's ideas re-worked... wouldn't Kamiya still be directing it?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"In order to resist the creatures, humanity developed a special weapon: the Legion. The Legion acts as your partner, and helps with your investigations. However, it's in battle where the Legion shows its real ability...

Work together with the Legion and use all sorts of combat styles to fight your enemies. You could both attack the same enemy simultaneously, target different opponents, or send your Legion on the offensive while you support it with items. Use this synergetic action system to battle and explore together!"

Sounds familiar?

If the same person was teasing Bayonetta 2, would they say, 'Hey, Devil May Cry is coming back as a Wii U exclusive'

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017

Sounds familiar?

We still don't know that just yet. That's what everyone is trying to tell you. But it's possible the "Scalebound comes to Switch" is essentially Astral Chain.

If Astral Chain was really Scalebound's ideas re-worked... wouldn't Kamiya still be directing it?

That's something some people were wondering.

balb

Oct 30, 2017
There's still the question of why Nintendo would want to revive Scalebound to begin with. It didn't seem to have much sales potential or interest.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyway, didn't Platinum literally just announce an action game with co-op multiplayer as a Switch exclusive? I guess it's possible that Nintendo is also paying for Scalebound, but why would they bother? My guess -- and please be clear that this is a guess; I am not confirming or denying anything -- is that Platinum re-used a lot of Scalebound's design and tech for Astral Chain, and people are just getting their wires crossed.

Perhaps but I think it would be a little more obvious if it was. Astral Chain comes out in 6 months, will have been in planning since 2016 I guess?

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
So far:
- Rumors about a cancelled game that Nintendo is porting on Switch
- The cancelled game is not an old Nintendo FP game
- Rumors about Scalebound coming to Switch
- Pearce confirms she heard that Scalebound is still alive

This will be a fun ride.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just gonna remind people that there's a reason there wasn't much disappointment over it's original cancellation. It looked very very boring and dull, so if Nintendo have picked it up let's hope they've improved it dramatically. This video is a good if not unfortunate example of that I think.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Just gonna remind people that there's a reason there wasn't much disappointment over it's original cancellation. It looked very very boring and dull, so if Nintendo have picked it up let's hope they've improved it dramatically. This video is a good if not unfortunate example of that I think.

Chances are the game would look almost completely different from that trailer. But enough of the remains would be enough to identify its Scalebound

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
There's still the question of why Nintendo would want to revive Scalebound to begin with. It didn't seem to have much sales potential.

I'm not going to say they don't completely care about sells, but they damn sure seem to have a good connection with Platinum now to the point that they'd still support their projects even if it isn't a sells monster.

Oct 25, 2017

There was a ton of disappointment. Not sure where you were looking.

And it's also a Kamiya directed game, he's only out out bangers in his storied career. Of course people were interested

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo really hit it out of the park with Platinum Games. They are essentially a second party developer outside throwing a bone to their competitors every few years.
Like half their output in the past few years isn't on Nintendo platforms.

Nintendo have a good relationship with them, but their games on other platforms are far more than just throwing a bone.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What? There was a ton of disappointment. People are STILL mad about it. I certainly am.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
If it's scale bound, there is no way the multiplayer survives into the new version. I expect a smaller scope.

MegaMan legends 3 feels way more likely because there isn't a competing company's baggage with it.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
We still don't know that just yet.

No. we don't. Hence why I said "could be defined" and not "is."

But I consider it a LOT more credible than Nintendo just picking up Scalebound and having Platinum drop ir on the Switch reworked or not, especially since that would mean having two games with very similar concepts on the same console, by the same developer, nearly at the same time. It just makes little sense fro lineup and resource management points of view.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
My predictions:

At E3, Microsoft and Nintendo announce a new partnership. Microsoft's E3 2019 press conference and Nintendo's E3 2019 Direct are one and the same - both live-streamed from xbox.com and nintendo.com and showing the same content/conference.

At the dual Microsoft presser / Nintendo direct:

1) Microsoft and Nintendo announce their next generation systems: Xbox Scarlett and Nintendo Switch 2. They're two SKUs for the same console family. Xbox Scarlett acts like an Xbox One X in the family - a very powerful, traditional disc console. Nintendo Switch 2 acts like the Xbox One S in the family - a less powerful console, but like the Switch, it is portable, can be docked, and uses cartridges.

2) All Xbox Scarlett games will be playable on Nintendo Switch 2 and vice-versa. Xbox Scarlett games will be purchasable via blu-ray disc, and Nintendo Switch 2 games will be purchasable via cartridge. Digital libraries between both consoles are shared.

3) Nintendo Online is replaced by Xbox Live.

4) Microsoft and Nintendo announce a joint-purchase of Platinum Games. And they announce that Scalebound is being revived and will come out on Scarlett and Switch 2.

5) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will get re-released Switch 2 and Scarlett version. It will have Master Chief, Joanna Dark, Steve from Minecraft, Alan Wake, Cortana, Banjo/Kazooie, and various other characters.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Counterpoint: It looked very dull, because that's how MS chose to showcase the game. People who saw the game demoed behind closed doors said that there was a lot more to the story that we never really got to see, as a result.

"Weirdly, every single closed-doors demo of Scalebound was like a different game," I tweeted in the wake of the announcement. What I meant by this, I went on to explain, was that in private demos it just looked like a more cohesive, proper video game, and one the developers had a great deal of passion for.

On stage, Microsoft always chose to present the game in what I thought was a strange light. It seemed as though they wanted to lean on Platinum and Kamiya's action credentials, which makes sense. The problem with that is Scalebound seemed to be far more besides.
The strangest and weakest showing came during an E3 stage demo in 2016, where the game was shown running a confusing-looking boss tackled with four players in online co-op play. It wasn't the worst demo of the conference (hello, Final Fantasy 15) but it was fairly underwhelming.

Heavily-briefed developers kept banging on about the 'scale' of the boss fight over and over again, something which smacked of the rehearsed PR lines to me. Scale is what Platinum is known for, they'd say. It's epic, it's crazy, it's action-packed, and this is just a taster.

The thing is… Scalebound seemed like a lot more than that whenever I saw it in a less public setting. At the last couple of Gamescom shows I was able to step into closed-doors meetings with Hideki Kamiya and JP Kellams, two key staff on the game, and the demos they gave showed a greater breadth of content than an action co-op game.

I remember glimpses and teases of a proper RPG-like world to explore, with NPCs, towns and quest-givers. I remember seeing a Resident Evil style Tetris-inventory system, which is always exciting. There were sections of the game where player and dragon would be split up, testing the player's abilities. The focus of the last presentation I saw was on the game's character progression system, which had an interesting little twist to the RPG traditions.

- More @ https://www.vg247.com/2017/01/10/scalebounds-troubles-were-visible-in-its-two-sided-previews/

Combine that with the brief bits of shade that escaped from Kamiya about how he didn't like how MS marketed the game (also in the article linked above), and it's honestly more than a bit sad that there we never got to see what probably Kamiya wanted to most showcase for his game.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
There was a ton of disappointment. Not sure where you were looking.

And it's also a Kamiya directed game, he's only out out bangers in his storied career. Of course people were interested

It being cancelled was a big deal, but I'm not sure I'd call it disappointment. I'd call it more of a spectacle. Threads regarding the games development prior to cancellation were sparsely populated and largely negative.

Oct 25, 2017
U9XbdBD.jpg

Believe

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
My predictions:

At E3, Microsoft and Nintendo announce a new partnership. Microsoft's E3 2019 press conference and Nintendo's E3 2019 Direct are one and the same - both live-streamed from xbox.com and nintendo.com and showing the same content/conference.

At the dual Microsoft presser / Nintendo direct:

1) Microsoft and Nintendo announce their next generation systems: Xbox Scarlett and Nintendo Switch 2. They're two SKUs for the same console family. Xbox Scarlett acts like an Xbox One X in the family - a very powerful, traditional disc console. Nintendo Switch 2 acts like the Xbox One S in the family - a less powerful console, but like the Switch, it is portable, can be docked, and uses cartridges.

2) All Xbox Scarlett games will be playable on Nintendo Switch 2 and vice-versa. Xbox Scarlett games will be purchasable via blu-ray disc, and Nintendo Switch 2 games will be purchasable via cartridge. Digital libraries between both consoles are shared.

3) Nintendo Online is replaced by Xbox Live.

4) Microsoft and Nintendo announce a joint-purchase of Platinum Games. And they announce that Scalebound is being revived and will come out on Scarlett and Switch 2.

5) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will get re-released Switch 2 and Scarlett version. It will have Master Chief, Joanna Dark, Steve from Minecraft, Alan Wake, Cortana, Banjo/Kazooie, and various other characters.
This is madness. I... I want this to happen, just to watch the internet burn down.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Every bit of gameplay they showed for Scalebound looked really dull so if it does get picked up again I hope it's radically overhauled.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Goodwill for allowing a game that they originally promised to get made, even if they aren't personally profiting from them. Everyone would be happy except Xbox-only games who love Japanese games, who don't exist.

Many people expressed disappointment with the canceling. So much that Spencer had to apologize.

You don't fuck with your base like that, lol. You create badwill with the one segment you're trying to build goodwill for. They bought all those first-parties for a reason.

Last edited:

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
No. we don't. Hence why I said "could be defined" and not "is."

But I consider it a LOT more credible than Nintendo just picking up Scalebound and having Platinum drop ir on the Switch reworked or not, especially since that would mean having two games with very similar concepts on the same console, by the same developer, nearly at the same time. It just makes little sense.
Or Nintendo just paid Platinum to make games and Platinum said "hey can one of these be this dragon fantasy RPG game idea that just* failed to work out on XBO" and Nintendo said "okay"

*at the time this discussion happened

Status
Not open for further replies.