• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Recycled assets, no. Take the general concept of the game and craft something new. And as with many games in preproduction, goes through various form changes until it ends up in the form shown. I wouldn't put it past that whatever concept not-scalebound started as changes dramatically into something that seemingly doesn't resemble it on the surface

I'd personally never say it, it sounds so disrespectful for the people behind these games: imagine you work so hard on a game as your debut as game director, you decide to wait until the very end to announce it, and people start to claim you just recycled stuffs from previous projects made by other people. (i don't think Taura was even involved in Scalebound development)

Beyond that the general concept is also very different, Scalebound was open world RPG, Astral Chain is action like Bayonetta.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scalebound wasn't even a game and its reputation isn't the best. If Nintendo and Platinum want to revive the project it doesn't make any sense to use "Scalebound" brand. Nintendo and Platinum can revive the project under a different name.

You only fight to own a IP if that IP means business. Scalebound doesn't.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Scalebound wasn't even a game and its reputation isn't the best. If Nintendo and Platinum want to revive the project it doesn't make any sense to use "Scalebound" brand. Nintendo and Platinum can revive the project under a different name.

You only fight to own a IP if that IP means business. Scalebound doesn't.

1) The rumor is that Platinum tried to get back the Scalebound IP, not Nintendo. If MS didn't want it then why not give it to Platinum? It was Kamiya's passion project.

2) The mere suggestion that Scalebound might be resurrected on Switch took Era offline for a brief period yesterday and caused the name Scalebound to trend on twitter at like 10-15k tweets. The name has a lot of power in garnering attention, regardless of whether or not the game/name has a pedigree.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
What I think is the most likely timeline
  • 2016: scalebound canned internally
  • 2016: Platinum attempts to buy the IP, ask Nintendo for assistance, fails
  • 2017: Platinum takes concept and creates something else, shops it around
  • 2017: after some form changes, Nintendo green lights it as Astral Chain

Did I miss something in this thread that implies that your second point happened?

Weren't the "Nintendo is making Scalebound" rumors circulating last summer? That doesn't really match this timeline.

Unless there's new information that I missed, it seems like the two most likely theories are that Nintendo/Platinum never tried to obtain the IP and instead just pivoted to Astral Chain, reusing what they legally/feasibly could from Scalebound (which was probably limited to conceptual/mechanical stuff) or that Nintendo and Platinum did indeed buy Scalebound from Microsoft and they are making it parallel to Astral Chain (with some ideas from Scalebound inspiring AC).

In the former scenario, Imran is either talking about a totally different game and Nintendo Insider's sources are confused or everyone (including Imran's sources) are confused/misinformed/victims of corporate disinformation, similar to what may have occurred with Starlink and Star Fox Grand Prix. In the latter, the sources are right and some of the speculation in this thread about Scalebound becoming AC is intuitive but incorrect.

JPLC

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My hope of hopes would be Mega Man Legends 3, however unlikely that may be. A certain someone needs saving from the moon.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But can scalebound run on switch? I doubt it unless they start from scratch

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I highly doubt that Scalebound became Astral Chain in some way. The time between developments doesn't match at all, otherwise it must have been an incredibly fast development and at the same time Platinum somehow must have felt that Scalebound was going to be cancelled.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I think anybody that thinks Astral Chain is some form of greatly altered Scalebound is off the mark.

Just like how Wonderful 101 is Platinum's Super Sentai/Power Rangers, Astral Chain is their Tokusatsu Hero/Kamen Rider. It really wouldn't be surprising to see the human characters getting power armours of their own down the line.

Not saying there aren't ideas from Scalebound, but that's a different topic.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'd personally never say it, it sounds so disrespectful for the people behind these games: imagine you work so hard on a game as your debut as game director, you decide to wait until the very end to announce it, and people start to claim you just recycled stuffs from previous projects made by other people. (i don't think Taura was even involved in Scalebound development)

Beyond that the general concept is also very different, Scalebound was open world RPG, Astral Chain is action like Bayonetta.
Taking concepts from past games and previous projects happens all the time in game development. There's nothing disrespectful about it.
Clearly the games are very different but the base concept of having an A.I. partner could have been the jumping point and they turned it into something completely different.

Oct 25, 2017
I am curious if anything would come from this.
Originally, I was thinking PG would just take what they learned and apply it to a new game - Drakengard 4 would be a good one.
Instead of a bad musou with dragon mechanics, as an action rpg with a more structured approach.
But I guess that's not happening.

Perhaps they should've used some ideas for other games, probably were (for Granblue and AC), but that's not the full SB concept.

I still think this rumor has a few holes in it. I dont' think MS and Nintendo are that friendly to fork over a game with 4 years of development. If development clash led to the game being in a rough state, can PG even fix it?

Really do think, the best case would be that - if PG is confident enough in the concept - that they pitch it to Nintendo/whoever as a from the ground up project using what they learned but not what they had.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) The rumor is that Platinum tried to get back the Scalebound IP, not Nintendo. If MS didn't want it then why not give it to Platinum? It was Kamiya's passion project.

2) The mere suggestion that Scalebound might be resurrected on Switch took Era offline for a brief period yesterday and caused the name Scalebound to trend on twitter at like 10-15k tweets. The name has a lot of power in garnering attention, regardless of whether or not the game/name has a pedigree.
What I say is If Kamiya want to revive the "Scalebound" project, he doesn't need the name. That being said, I would like to see a new iteration in the Scalebound concept. If it's real, my bet is, in fact, a Scalebound type of game under different name.

In the other hand, trends on Twitter doesn't mean anything but "a lot of discussion".

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that doesn't sound plausible with that trailer. Its at least 3 years in dev or more. I think it started development early 2016.

Taura would have been busy with Nier at that point. I really don't think it's that unbelievable Astral Chain will have had two and a half years of development by the time it comes out.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I am curious if anything would come from this.
Originally, I was thinking PG would just take what they learned and apply it to a new game - Drakengard 4 would be a good one.
Instead of a bad musou with dragon mechanics, as an action rpg with a more structured approach.
But I guess that's not happening.

Perhaps they should've used some ideas for other games, probably were (for Granblue and AC), but that's not the full SB concept.

I still think this rumor has a few holes in it. I dont' think MS and Nintendo are that friendly to fork over a game with 4 years of development. If development clash led to the game being in a rough state, can PG even fix it?

Really do think, the best case would be that - if PG is confident enough in the concept - that they pitch it to Nintendo/whoever as a from the ground up project using what they learned but not what they had.
That may well be the case actually. The rumors don't talk about reusing existing work only reviving a dead and cancelled game. The thinking around reusing existing work was an assumption made in the discussions but that was never confirmed

UnrulyUmbreon

Apr 2, 2018
When will we get an official confirm or deny?

Imran Khan from GameInformer was the first person to comment on the existence of this revival (he never named the game), and all speculation spawned from there. At the time, Imran stated that he would do a write-up when he had more sources to confirm his info. The only way we're getting a definitive answer is if the game is Scalebound, and Imran is comfortable reporting on it.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I always got the impression that Scalebound's direction and tone in the media that was released was being heavily influenced by MS. If the rumored project is Scalebound I would bet that it has little relation to what we've seen of it so far. It would probably a change on the level of going from the original FE vs SMT teaser that we got to the final TMS reveal.

But what if the dead and buried game is TMS?

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Taking concepts from past games and previous projects happens all the time in game development. There's nothing disrespectful about it.
Clearly the games are very different but the base concept of having an A.I. partner could have been the jumping point and they turned it into something completely different.

It would be a little disrespectful if it turns out Astral Chain was all new.

Platinum Games worked on completely different games at the same time in the past too: think about The Wonderful 101, Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta 2 and The Legend of Korra in 2013-14.

The base concept of having A.I. partner is something Platinum used even before Scalebound, and in this case it's actually more similar to Blade Wolf in Metal Gear Rising

Metal-Gear-Rising-Revengeance.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I always got the impression that Scalebound's direction and tone in the media that was released was being heavily influenced by MS. If the rumored project is Scalebound I would bet that it has little relation to what we've seen of it so far. It would probably a change on the level of going from the original FE vs SMT teaser that we got to the final TMS reveal.

But what if the dead and buried game is TMS?
TMS was never cancelled.

Oct 31, 2017
MML3 makes the most sense in that list.

But they won't fund that without funding remakes of MML1&2.

So I'm calling it now: MML1&2R will be announced for Switch. MML3's prologue will be included in that release ! Then, we'll get MML3 one year later :D

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What I say is If Kamiya want to revive the "Scalebound" project, he doesn't need the name. That being said, I would like to see a new iteration in the Scalebound concept. If it's real, my bet is, in fact, a Scalebound type of game under different name.

In the other hand, trends on Twitter doesn't mean anything but "a lot of discussion".

But apparently the name is one thing we know they can use, since the trademark expired. Trademarks protect names and logos, and since MS's trademark has gone abandoned anyone can now use that name.

And yeah, a lot of discussions = a lot of attention which is precisely what you want if you're publicizing a game.

That may well be the case actually. The rumors don't talk about reusing existing work only reviving a dead and cancelled game. The thinking around reusing existing work was an assumption made in the discussions but that was never confirmed

There are multiple rumors being discussed. First the rumor in the OP is about reviving a dead, cancelled game. Second, there is the rumor that Scalebound is coming to the Switch and the related rumor that Scalebound was being revived as of last summer.

Those two rumors might be related, but they also might not be. So if Scalebound was repurposed into AC (I don't think it was) then the first rumor clearly wasn't talking about Scalebound.

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, if it does end up being Scalebound, I'm hoping Nintendo rebrands it as a Dragalia Lost game, as many others have speculated. It just fits too well. Established IP + intriguing gameplay + Platinum Games design, and I am there day 1.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would really love Silent Hill. Hell or anything from Konami like Suikoden or Vandal Hearts even. Damn you Konami. :(

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
How does this make sense? Isnt scalebound owned by Microsoft? They renewed the trademark just last year again didnt they? Unless this is the "spiritual successor " to a game that never came out.

IronicSonic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does this make sense? Isnt scalebound owned by Microsoft? They renewed the trademark just last year again didnt they? Unless this is the "spiritual successor " to a game that never came out.
Platinum can work and evolve the concept of the game and name it Dragon Bond or something.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine if it really is "Scalebound," it'd be heavily reworked using Platinum's in-house engine for Switch games (Astral Chain, Bayonetta) and remade to more closely resemble the original concept Kamiya and his team envisioned.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Unless he's only passionate about the name it makes no sense though. Could he not take the core ideas and change the name of the game? Seems a lot simpler right? Sure maybe he wanted to use the assets they already made but even then the game would still have to be heavily retooled to work on Switch. Seems like there's a lot of unnecessary hurdles here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine if it really is "Scalebound," it'd be heavily reworked using Platinum's in-house engine for Switch games (Astral Chain, Bayonetta) and remade to more closely resemble the original concept Kamiya and his team envisioned.
Well the cancelled one is the original concept.

No. It wasn't. It was always a co-op game from the first paper design document. We didn't reveal co-op at first other than teasing it in the CG trailer and hinting hard in interviews. The first year we only showed gameplay, we only showed single player because that was always the marketing plan. The tons of players swarming was four players and their dragons in a boss fight. The same four players and their dragons hinted at in the CG reveal.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
See the past discussion, trademark and ip are different things, and Microsoft is owning the ip.

Yes, I partook in those past discussions. Trademark is not different from IP, it is a type of IP. IP encompasses trademarks, patents and copyrights. MS seems to no longer own the trademark, which is the type of IP protection which covers the name and the logo of a product. The copyright protects the code, assets and concepts, and MS still likely owns the copyright, unless they sold it to Platinum which apparently Platinum wanted to have happen.

But the trademark being abandoned indicates that they no longer have legal protection of the Scalebound name or logo.

Unless he's only passionate about the name it makes no sense though. Could he not take the core ideas and change the name of the game? Seems a lot simpler right? Sure maybe he wanted to use the assets they already made but even then the game would still have to be heavily retooled to work on Switch. Seems like there's a lot of unnecessary hurdles here.

Yeah I have no idea why they'd buy it back, but that's one of the rumors anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.