• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not if they don't asking Microsoft for the usage.
They can use the Scalebound name without asking Microsoft to use it, since Microsoft abandoned the trademark.
This is the simplest possible point, why is that so hard for you to understand. Anyone can use the Scalebound name now. I could make a fart simulator named Scalebound and put it on the App Store, and Microsoft can't stop me.

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA
I'm not saying Scalebound is coming to Switch, I think the whole rumor is bull, but the trademark being abandoned means precisely that MS can no longer enforce it. I'm correcting you on that specific point.

At this point, it could mean that Platinum Games is working on Scalebound for the Nintendo Switch, but that it is their original vision for the game when they were making it for Wii. The characters, assets, setting, etc that have been shown on Xbox One still belong to Xbox One.

Of course, there could be some deal where Microsoft is allowing Nintendo to take over the IP, but I think my original scenario is more plausible.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They can use the Scalebound name without asking Microsoft to use it, since Microsoft abandoned the trademark.
This is the simplest possible point, why is that so hard for you to understand. Anyone can use the Scalebound name now. I could make a fart simulator named Scalebound and put it on the App Store, and Microsoft can't stop me.

They could petition to revive the trademark I think, but again this depends on a whole bunch of factors that I probably don't know the half of. It's not as simple as that.

But it does mean that they no longer have immediate protection for the name, yes. So they can't sue you right away.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
While MS doesn't own the trademark to SB they probably still own all the assets that were made. And if they have to start all over again what's the point in calling it SB. It's not like it's a beloved franchise with value. It was just an average looking game with dragons and a main character everyone hated the look of.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could petition to revive the trademark I think, but again this depends on a whole bunch of factors that I probably don't know the half of. It's not as simple as that.

But it does mean that they no longer have immediate protection for the name, yes. So they can't sue you right away.
To revive the trademark, they would have to show an immediate (within an 18 month timeframe) intended commercial use case for the brand. So unless they have either revived Scalebound themselves or intend to, their petition for said revival would fail, particularly coming on the heels of an immediate abandonment.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
To revive the trademark, they would have to show an immediate (within an 18 month timeframe) intended commercial use case for the brand. So unless they have either revived Scalebound themselves or intend to, their petition for said revival would fail, particularly coming on the heels of an immediate abandonment.

Right, probably true.

Either way, the point is if they want to dispute another party using the name (in court) they will be able to at least try.

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA

My question would be, how expensive is it for Microsoft to retain the trademark for the name? Is it too expensive that they would much rather lose it than keep a name pretty well known within video game circles? Or do they feel like the name itself has been damaged to the point that it makes no sense keeping it?

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I presented it as a scenario and below stated that Microsoft could have sold them off. But I do agree and hope other people know that all we are doing is speculating about something that none of us know yet outside of Microsoft, Nintendo, and Platinum Games.

Microsoft could also just never owned them. It wouldn't even be the first time they contract a company to make a game, cancel that game then the company is using the tech with another company to release a game.

But yeah, there's right now no way for any of us to know those details.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, probably true.

Either way, the point is if they want to dispute another party using the name (in court) they will be able to at least try.
Sure, I'm just saying that "Microsoft owns the trademark/Microsoft will need to sign off on it being used by another company" is an incorrect position.

My question would be, how expensive is it for Microsoft to retain the trademark for the name? Is it too expensive that they would much rather lose it than keep a name pretty well known within video game circles? Or do they feel like the name itself has been damaged to the point that it makes no sense keeping it?
Microsoft clearly feels that retaining the trademark was not worth the cost, which is why they abandoned it.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo really trying to help Platinum with their ideas if its indeed Scalebound. Likely a good relationship going forward between the two if its true.

Bayonetta series, Astral Chain, and now possibly Scalebound. Now give me Wonderful 102...

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Right, probably true.

That's why i said they need to ask Microsoft first because it's totally not worth it to break the relationship for a cancelled game.
Reggie can walk to MS building and discuss with Phil now though since NoA and MS HQ just 100 meters away lol.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think retaining the trademark would be terribly expensive (I think it's something like $300 every 10 years for the US at least) but fighting another party's use in court would probably be fairly expensive.

Oct 25, 2017
Peachtree City, GA
Nintendo really trying to help Platinum with their ideas if its indeed Scalebound. Likely a good relationship going forward between the two if its true.

Bayonetta series, Astral Chain, and now possibly Scalebound

And what better way to show support for Kamiya than helping him realize his lifelong dream game? It would make for a great story, but not sure exactly this is what's happening behind the scenes.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
There's really no evidence of that. It depends on details we don't have.
I agree with you. But even if the assets etc belong to Microsoft. The simple solution is build from scratch using the Switch's hardware. I don't think MS could sue (if the case of asset ownership were true) if Scalebound Switch ended up having a completely different art style with assets designed around the Switch's hardware limitations (and thus differences in how characters looked) and if they altered some story elements here and there.

Again I agree we have no clue on the legal status of Scalebound between MS and PG. But there's plenty of ways around any situation if Scalebound is indeed now published by Nintendo.

Oct 25, 2017

Bayonetta series, Astral Chain, and now possibly Scalebound
It was a bit sad that after Bayonetta 2, it seemed like Nintendo might not fund any more of their games.
I'm glad there's someone with power at Nintendo that's catering directly to me, lol.
Hardcore mech game, Bayonetta 3, and a brand new PG IP and the Switch isn't even two years old yet.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's why i said they need to ask Microsoft first because it's totally not worth it to break the relationship for a cancelled game.
Reggie can walk to MS building and discuss with Phil now though since NoA and MS HQ just 100 meters away lol.

But again, they don't need to. They probably should, it would be the nice thing to do. But if MS no longer owns the Trademark and if Platinum has bought back the assets (this is completely unknown) then Nintendo really doesn't have much of a reason to ask MS before funding Platinum's game.

They might want to tell them "hey guys, just to let you know we're making Scalebound now, kthxbye" so that MS isn't caught off guard by the announcement but it's really unlikely MS would bother suing over this when they don't care enough about the IP to file a statement of use for the trademark.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They don't need to talk to Microsoft is the entire point. You think they should. They have no legal obligation to.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you. But even if the assets etc belong to Microsoft. The simple solution is build from scratch using the Switch's hardware. I don't think MS could sue (if the case of asset ownership were true) if Scalebound Switch ended up having a completely different art style with assets designed around the Switch's hardware limitations (and thus differences in how characters looked) and if they altered some story elements here and there.

Again I agree we have no clue on the legal status of Scalebound between MS and PG. But there's plenty of ways around any situation if Scalebound is indeed now published by Nintendo.
I think the trademark thing is a bit ridiculous to tread on.

On top of probably not being legal to try and reboot a game with a lapsed trade mark, screwing over MS would be in bad form for *both* PG and Nintendo.
PG would definitely ask permission first.

They could try and be sneaky, by asking MS to buy the assets/all the work done for a new project; MS presuming it will definitely be multiplatform/at least on Xbox.
That's probably the only way this could happen, but if this has leaked too early with deals still not completed, MS might try to retract it.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft could also just never owned them. It wouldn't even be the first time they contract a company to make a game, cancel that game then the company is using the tech with another company to release a game.

But yeah, there's right now no way for any of us to know those details.

Kellams said on Twitter the other day that Microsoft owned the IP when Platinum was working on it.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
But again, they don't need to. They probably should, it would be the nice thing to do. But if MS no longer owns the Trademark and if Platinum has bought back the assets (this is completely unknown) then Nintendo really doesn't have much of a reason to ask MS before funding Platinum's game.

They might want to tell them "hey guys, just to let you know we're making Scalebound now, kthxbye" so that MS isn't caught off guard by the announcement but it's really unlikely MS would bother suing over this when they don't care enough about the IP to file a statement of use for the trademark.
Nintendo don't need to, but for Microsoft it's stupid they let it go and exclusive on Switch so easy.
Imagine how bad the PR will be, since hype of the game had been started after the cancellation announcement, and completely against current customers friendly statement.

Unless it's Switch+XB1 game, then they can fine with that.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It time

mt04_bg.jpg

mt02_bg.jpg

Jun 22, 2018
Sure, I'm just saying that "Microsoft owns the trademark/Microsoft will need to sign off on it being used by another company" is an incorrect position.

Microsoft clearly feels that retaining the trademark was not worth the cost, which is why they abandoned it.
Microsoft would absolutely need to sign off on any of the previous work being used. If they did not, a game named Scalebound would have to be completely built from scratch with all new assets and designs.

The cost of the trademark has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft abandoning the trademark. You cannot retain a registered trademark that you are not using. They did not use it and could not provide evidence of it being used, so it was forfeit.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
They could try and be sneaky, by asking MS to buy the assets/all the work done for a new project;

I honestly don't think it's worth getting all the assets off MS. If they're porting this (and we probably won't find out until 2020) then it's probably easier to build the entire game from scratch so not only does it eliminate the asset issue but it means that the game will work really well on the console, and it can have its own unique identity without the weight of the old build hanging over them.

But I'm sure Nintendo aren't stupid and whatever their options regarding development they'll do their best to maintain a positive relationship (and "friendly" business competition) with MS while allowing PG to maintain creative freedom. I mean they knew what they were getting into so whatever the situation I feel their lawyers would have researched any legal challenges and amicable ways of dealing with said challenges with MS. :)

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Dont they literally own the IP.
In simple terms, they own the assets, since they funded development (unless the contract between Platinum and Microsoft had clauses that specifically stated otherwise, but we don't know anything about that, obviously). They do not own "Scalebound" the name. Hypothetically, Nintendo and Platinum can reboot development from scratch and make their own Scalebound.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo don't need to, but for Microsoft it's stupid they let it go and exclusive on Switch so easy.
Imagine how bad the PR will be, since hype of the game had been started after the cancellation announcement, and completely against current customers friendly statement.

Unless it's Switch+XB1 game, then they can fine with that.

It probably would be bad PR, but in the case that Platinum bought back the assets and Nintendo decided to fund the game what can they do? This is all predicated on MS selling the assets back to someone (Nintendo or Platinum), or the new game being completely rebooted without any of the original work done. In the former case MS made that bed when they sold it all back and in the latter case it'll only be Scalebound in name, and MS can tell its fans this.

Did we have something new since Zhuge said it wasn't probably Scalebound?

Several other trusted insiders have said there was a rumor going around last year that Scalebound was being revived on Switch. They didn't say whether this rumor was trustworthy or not, just that it existed.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
In simple terms, they own the assets, since they funded development (unless the contract between Platinum and Microsoft had clauses that specifically stated otherwise, but we don't know anything about that, obviously). They do not own "Scalebound" the name. Hypothetically, Nintendo and Platinum can reboot development from scratch and make their own Scalebound.
Would that be worth it? Why use the Scalebound name if its different in all but name.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was clearly established a hundred times over at this point that the game being revived in Scalebound.

Status
Not open for further replies.