• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Would that be worth it? Why use the Scalebound name if its different in all but name.

Those assets were designed to run on an Xbox One. It's probably better that they do everything from scratch so it runs the best it can on the hardware. That may include reducing polygon counts and covering that with a different art style.

It's probably best that production gets rebooted imo.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
It probably would be bad PR, but in the case that Platinum bought back the assets and Nintendo decided to fund the game what can they do? This is all predicated on MS selling the assets back to someone (Nintendo or Platinum), or the new game being completely rebooted without any of the original work done. In the former case MS made that bed when they sold it all back and in the latter case it'll only be Scalebound in name, and MS can tell its fans this.

Several other trusted insiders have said there was a rumor going around last year that Scalebound was being revived on Switch. They didn't say whether this rumor was trustworthy or not, just that it existed.
Pretty sure even the latter one it still can make Microsoft look really bad, but i guess it may worth it for Nintendo to hurting Xbox brand, since like i said, the hype of Scalebound started after the cancellation, so actually the name is worth it even it may end up complete different thing.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
It probably would be bad PR, but in the case that Platinum bought back the assets and Nintendo decided to fund the game what can they do? This is all predicated on MS selling the assets back to someone (Nintendo or Platinum), or the new game being completely rebooted without any of the original work done. In the former case MS made that bed when they sold it all back and in the latter case it'll only be Scalebound in name, and MS can tell its fans this.

Several other trusted insiders have said there was a rumor going around last year that Scalebound was being revived on Switch. They didn't say whether this rumor was trustworthy or not, just that it existed.
Thanks! This thread grew a lot.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Can people just read what I post...

Can you specify? Not trying to be facetious but I'm curious to hear examples in gaming how owning the IP wouldn't cover "characters, assets, setting, etc ". If a company is hired to do work on the part of another there is most certainly a contract put in place to give up the ownership that comes with having created the original work.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you specify? Not trying to be facetious but I'm curious to hear examples how owning the IP wouldn't cover "characters, assets, setting, etc ". If a company is hired to do work on the part of another there is most certainly a contract put in place to give up the ownership that comes with having created the original work.

True Fantasy Live Online.
Microsoft-funded project with Level-5 that ended up cancelled by MS. While MS still owned the trademark on the name/logo, Level-5 salvaged every assets and the engine they used to make Dragon Quest VIII for Square Enix.

What I'm saying is that "owning the IP" is a very broad term that doesn't necessarily reflect the same situations. You can own the trademark of a game (thus effectively owning an intellectual property right) without owning anything concretely from the game.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
True Fantasy Live Online.
Microsoft-funded project with Level-5 that ended up cancelled by MS. While MS still owned the trademark on the name/logo, Level-5 salvaged every assets and the engine they used to make Dragon Quest VIII for Square Enix.

Interesting, do you have the source on assets being reused in DQ8?

I could see tech being an odd spot for ownership (I mean, if you developed a renderer why not do it again?) but stuff like characters and assets seems pretty cut and dry in terms of being linked to the IP.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo Direct "How to Train your Scales" by Platinum Games "Protagonist shows headphones"

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, do you have the source on assets being reused in DQ8?

I could see tech being an odd spot for ownership (I mean, if you developed a renderer why not do it again?) but stuff like characters and assets seems pretty cut and dry in terms of being linked to the IP.

Hmmm right after confidently saying it from what I remembered, I can't find a source to back that up. I'll keep looking up but hopefully I didn't just fell for an urban legend.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm right after confidently saying it from what I remembered, I can't find a source to back that up. I'll keep looking up but hopefully I didn't just fell for an urban legend.

I think you might have.

From June 2004...

http://archive.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2004/062304b.html

Microsoft still holds the game's resources, such as its characters, worlds, and interface. The company refused to comment on whether those specific resources would be used in a future game, but Microsoft admitted that certain well-received elements of True Fantasy Live Online would be utilized in a future game. The statement also hinted that another Japanese-developed RPG is in development for the Xbox.​

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Regardless of whether or not the precedent you cited was real it's still a fair point. "Owning the IP" doesn't actually mean anything in legal terms without specifying which aspect of the IP you own. Do you own the trademark or the copyright? Just the copyright involving characters?

Things like that. There's a whole lot of gray area when you talk about IP ownership. Without knowing the details of the contract we can't know for sure how much MS owns (or owned, if there's a chance they sold anything).

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I stand corrected then, you're right.

Regardless of whether or not the precedent you cited was real it's still a fair point. "Owning the IP" doesn't actually mean anything in legal terms without specifying which aspect of the IP you own. Do you own the trademark or the copyright? Just the copyright involving characters?

Things like that. There's a whole lot of gray area when you talk about IP ownership. Without knowing the details of the contract we can't know for sure how much MS owns (or owned, if there's a chance they sold anything).

Yeah ultimately the points still holds as the contract provisions are what rules here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

I stand corrected then, you're right.

Yeah ultimately the points still holds as the contract provisions are what rules here.

Right but precedent, as what I posted above from 2004 or numerous other examples of publishers owning contracted IP/assets (Prey 2, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance ), would make that an outlier in gaming. There are cases where the developer owned the IP/assets and had a publishing arrangement (Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Control) but that was communicated as the devs owning the "IP". Using that term to show ownership of the assets, characters and such.

The closest thing I can think of for an odd IP split (aside from 90s PC games) is, if you listen to Denis Dyack, Eternal Darkness. Where that was, allegedly, a case of Silicon Knights having partial ownership of that game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like ZhugeEX is saying that he thinks it's fake because Astral Chain took the ideas of Scalebound (I disagree, but I digress), not that he has information saying that it's fake.
Yeah originally I was thinking similarly but after everything settle down its a platinumgames game. Almost every game they made has the similar mechanics as another game.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah originally I was thinking similarly but after everything settle down its a platinumgames game. Almost every game they made has the similar mechanics as another game.
Definitely. If anything, Astral Chain screams strong Nier Automata influences, which makes sense since the director had a key role in making Nier. Astral Chain just so happens to have AI companions.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
While MS doesn't own the trademark to SB they probably still own all the assets that were made. And if they have to start all over again what's the point in calling it SB. It's not like it's a beloved franchise with value. It was just an average looking game with dragons and a main character everyone hated the look of.
It holds value to Platinum who have been trying to get this dream project done since the Wii era.

Since it matters that much to them it will be big deal for Platinum fans which are legion.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have been meaning to ask this, but is there any evidence this is Scalebound outside of the one guy from Nintendo Insider saying that it is? Or is it more people latching onto an idea because it'd be an exciting prospect even though most evidence is pointing towards that not being it?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I actually have been meaning to ask this, but is there any evidence this is Scalebound outside of the one guy from Nintendo Insider saying that it is? Or is it more people latching onto an idea because it'd be an exciting idea even though most evidence is pointing towards that not being it?
Jason Schreier and Alanah Pearce said rumors about Scalebound on Switch were floating around last summer. Doesn't mean it's actually happening, though. Either way, I'm really looking forward to Imran's full write-up on the matter if that ever happens.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually have been meaning to ask this, but is there any evidence this is Scalebound outside of the one guy from Nintendo Insider saying that it is? Or is it more people latching onto an idea because it'd be an exciting idea even though most evidence is pointing towards that not being it?
I think Benji, VG24/7, Jason, and Alanah all said they've heard "Scalebound Switch" at some point.
Whether it's still happening or the game Imran was talking about, we don't know

Oct 26, 2017
I actually have been meaning to ask this, but is there any evidence this is Scalebound outside of the one guy from Nintendo Insider saying that it is? Or is it more people latching onto an idea because it'd be an exciting prospect even though most evidence is pointing towards that not being it?
This rumour has become sentient. It is self replicating. Sustained by the hopes and dreams of those hurt by it's cancellation.
Maybe if enough people believe it they can wish it into existence?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Jason Schreier and Alanah Pearce said rumors about Scalebound on Switch were floating around last summer. Doesn't mean it's actually happening, though. Either way, I'm really looking forward to Imran's full write-up on the matter if that ever happens.
I think Benji, VG24/7, Jason, and Alanah all said they've heard "Scalebound Switch" at some point.
Whether it's still happening or the game Imran was talking about, we don't know
Thanks for answering, that does mean I'm more caught up on this one than I realized. I just was thinking if there's any reason so many are on the Scalebound train at this point since I think there's more that could be weighed to say it's unlikely at this point than likely, though I do understand it's one of those prospects that would be exciting to see so people are pushing for it.

This is just one of my thoughts as well, but if Nintendo were right now thinking of resurrecting a dead franchise, Nintendo has so many franchises' themselves that are dead in the water currently that I'd rather they pull from their own pool rather than for some reason trying to purchase an IP from Microsoft to revive. I also don't think the fact SEGA let Platinum and Nintendo make Bayonetta 2 & 3 bears much resemblance to a potential scenario of Microsoft allowing Nintendo and Platinum to make a Switch console exclusive game as a competing platform with an IP that caused uproar for it not releasing on Xbox One consoles from an enthusiastic crowd. SEGA isn't in the console market, they have a good relationship with Nintendo and Platinum currently and have made games collaborating with both of them in the past, and there was no negative personal stake in it for them to make Bayonetta in this way, just let them make it and they get some royalties and a quality game or two under their belt. I don't think this scenario is reflective at all for Microsoft for some reason selling Nintendo the IP. Add to this JP knows people from Platinum and still is close with a number of people from the company, and is voicing this opinion publicly which makes me believe he really thinks this isn't something to get one's hopes up for. I feel JP commenting on this is because he's more than confident it isn't happening, otherwise he wouldn't comment at all on this. Finally, as Platinum as a company already have their hands full on several projects, two of which already Switch exclusive, so I don't see them having a third Switch exclusive and a fifth overall project in the works right now, especially considering their studio size and how they've worked their project pipeline in the past.

Literally the only evidence I think in favor of this is there were some murmurings some people heard in the grapevine over half a year ago (and things they didn't believe at the time they're only mentioning with this creeping up), and the Nintendo Insider guy saying a source he trusts said this.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
If this is really the case (which i really, REALLY doubt, but go figure), i hope they actually manage to bring back Kamiya's original concept for the game (little girl with a dragon) rather than the americanized one they had to settle with to make it more palatable for the Xbox audience.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I think alot of you that believe the IP doesn't have any value don't understand how difficult it is to find the perfect name for something.
1or 2 words that pops and rolls off the tongue well, succinctly describes the product and is easily google-able. Scalebound hits all of those marks very well so I could imagine PG finding a way to keep it.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If this is really the case (which i really, REALLY doubt, but go figure), i hope they actually manage to bring back Kamiya's original concept for the game (little girl with a dragon) rather than the americanized one they had to settle with to make it more palatable for the Xbox audience.
I thought I read somewhere that Kamiya changed the protagonist because he wanted the player-controlled character to have a more direct role in the fighting. I'll see if I can find it

Edit: Here it is.
As we were making this prototype, I realized that I didn't want to just be watching the fight, I wanted to be more participatory in the fight. And I started talking with the staff about how maybe we should change this to be a swordsman or someone a little bit older.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Damn... I remember someone joking about Nintendo acquiring the Scalebound IP the day the cancellation got announced...

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

Wasn't it a little girl with a dinosaur?

Status
Not open for further replies.