• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will it be?

• Scalebound

Votes: 1,384 44.0%
  • Mega Man Legends 3

Votes: 733 23.3%
  • Timesplitters 4

Votes: 253 8.1%
  • Eternal Darkness 2

Votes: 476 15.1%
  • Silent Hills

Votes: 296 9.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
An IP that never got off the ground is worth absolutely nothing. If anything comes of it, it'll be a spiritual successor. There is literally not one good reason why Scalebound would be revived under anyone but MS.

MajorB

Apr 18, 2018
Like seriously, "Platinum and Nintendo are spiritually reviving Scalebound" would be pretty easy to garble into "Nintendo is reviving Scalebound" once it's been passed through an international rumor mill.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree completely. It looks really bad, especially for a platinum game. Like the actual gameplay is just slow as shit shooting a boss that does pretty much nothing followed by QTEs. For a studio that are known for making pretty fantastic combat systems (especially in their third person shooter, Vanquish!) it was disappointing as hell at the time and it still looks awful.

I'll stan for Platinum any day of the week but not the the level you are lol, I have limits.
The game had problems running on a XB1 at 30fps from all the videos I saw, and that was not too far from release either, I doubt this will run on switch in any way. Unless they rebuilt it from scratch maybe?

There were rumours Microsoft forced the multiplayer, removing it and reworking some of the stuff could make it run better and be a better game, probably.

what if it's Attack of the Killer Rabbids from Outer Space

lmao. I would have liked that game much more than Zombi.

I want Scalebound to come back so much but not as Switch Exclusive..

I don't want the game to be brought down by hardware limitations. Scalebound, by the name of it and how ambitious it wanted to be in terms of scale I feel that the Switch will not do it justice.

I love my Switch and it has great hardware capabilities. But I think Kamiya will have not 100% have his vision of the game be done.

Anyways It is probably Legends 3 which is an excellent choice to ressurect.

I don't know, Astral Chains looks great on Switch and if they removed the multiplayer completely and reworked some things.... not that i believe the rumour, but i don't think it would be impossible. And reworking stuff and even cutting stuff would be better than letting his dreamgame rott in Microsofts dungeon.

Sure, but I also really doubt JP would be saying this if Platinum was working on Scalebound. He might not work there anymore, but he's still friends with a lot of people there and would probably know if Scalebound was resurrected in some way.

He said in that post that he hasn't talked with anyone at platinum about that rumour and Astral Chains was high secret, not even some Platinum guys knew of it. I don't think that he would know about it.

Yeah, it just seems like a bad idea that won't result in any notable gain.

perhaps, just perhaps Microsoft wanted to be on better terms with Platinum again (and japanese publishers) and sold the IP back to them (not nintendo). Probably not going to happen but Microsoft sitting on it until eternity makes me sad, it was kamiyas dream game.

Exactly, it wasn't a game that people went crazy over it.

I wonder when i look at how this rumour has blown up.

It rumour doesnt make a whole lot of sense of a lot of reasons.

Platinum doesn't own the IP.
The game that existed was bult on UE4 and UE4 barely runs on Switch.
It was meant to be online focused boy that aint a good fit for Switch
Scalebound looked kinda bad anyway.

It would be easier to just make a new game that borrows some ideas from Scalebound then go through the mess of paperwork to revive a (probably justifiably) dead game.

UE4 does run decently enough to make Dragon Quest 11. Also if they cut the multiplayer (that was rumoured to be forced upon Platinum) that would free some ressources. They would have to rework it, some things like the boring bossfight should be reworked anyway. Multiplayer was said to be Micrsofts idea and trashed the games performance.

To be fair i don't believe the rumour and Astral Chains is looking better than scalebound for my tastes. but the reactions would be funny and i would be happy for Platinum and Kamiya.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
So Scalebound and Banjo to Switch? But what would MS/Xbox get from them? :)

They don't own the IP? Oh I really thought they did. PG does?

A share of revenue for putting Banjo on the N64 Classic, potentially a share of revenue from a DK64 virtual console release, however much third parties get from Smash DLC revenue if any. In addition, they get the best possible advertisement for a potential Banjo 3 and for playing Banjo games on Xbox One.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
If that's true PG can't just pick up where they left off, or can they? Not sure how that works really.

Or can they definitely pick up where development stopped and just throw a different name on it? And that wouldn't need MS's permission at all?
Well the latest rumour is Platinum has brought back the IP from MS. Anything is possible if that's true.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the original idea for Scalebound to have dinosaurs instead of dragons? That sounds way more appealing.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Money for selling the IP and goodwill
money? MS doesn't need the pittance that the scalebound IP would be worth
goodwill? goodwill from who? nintendo fans while fucking over their own fans by cancelling a game they were looking forward to only for it to show up later as an exclusive for another system?
MS has no reason to sell the IP to nintendo, and if somehow PG got it back and it resurfaced as a switch exclusive that would be a major PR fuckup for microsoft. they won't be pleased.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Not exactly sure why I should blindly assume that he's right. Assuming he has sources, often sources are second or third hand, and they often speak vaguely enough even when they aren't.

Having seen Scalebound in action, Astral Chain's description pretty much describes what I saw.
If you don't want to believe him then I don't understand what there is to discuss in here tho, this thread is all about HIS rumor lol

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Not exactly sure why I should blindly assume that he's right. Assuming he has sources, often sources are second or third hand, and they often speak vaguely enough even when they aren't.

Having seen Scalebound in action, Astral Chain's description pretty much describes what I saw.
I mean the dude works for Game Informer. Chances are he has good sources.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit
what if nintendo licensed okami from capcom and gave it to kamiya to make okami 2

Why not both ?

tumblr_lzo9ehHzr71qa1zddo1_500.gif

Deleted member 29857

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
An IP that never got off the ground is worth absolutely nothing. If anything comes of it, it'll be a spiritual successor. There is literally not one good reason why Scalebound would be revived under anyone but MS.
Have Nintendo finance the development, cut the MP part, make it a Gamepass title after 6 months of being a Nintendo exclusive. Everybody wins.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Yet they still released Crackdown 3.
I think they were effectively in a situation where they could only afford to cancel one perception-wise, and they chose to cancel the new-ip that was more of a risk versus what is effectively a more polished version of an existing game that's kind of an MS cult classic. Both had troubled developments.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
So, the mechanics are there but the skin is different, you say?

That's assuming Imran has heard more than "Scalebound is coming back."

That's a possibility.

You should, since Imran is very credible and he posts on here all the time. I knew more about his presence on ERA before finding out he works @ Game Informer. I'm not saying Imran is suggesting it's Scalebound. All I'm saying is that him and RGT-85 mentioned it's a non-Nintendo developed game and it's in development. That rules out Astral Chain since it's coming out in August and is near completion.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think Astral Chain has much of Scalebound in it. They said it was Taura's original idea, and it's his directorial debut. It feels like a passion project from him, not leftovers he is picking up from Kamiya. Also it just looks too different. The setting / story / world seem pretty deeply integrated with the gameplay, it doesn't look like something they swapped late in development.

It may have some tech shared, like I'm sure is shared among many of Platinum's games. But personally I doubt a large portion of Astral Chain is from Scalebound.

Oct 26, 2017
A share of revenue for putting Banjo on the N64 Classic, potentially a share of revenue from a DK64 virtual console release, however much third parties get from Smash DLC revenue if any. In addition, they get the best possible advertisement for a potential Banjo 3 and for playing Banjo games on Xbox One.

Hmmm good points actually. Hadn't thought of that.

Well the latest rumour is Platinum has brought back the IP from MS. Anything is possible if that's true.

Interesting. That could mean Nintendo has seen in what state the game is and thought it's worth it. Should be interesting to see what the results will be. Still hope it's MS and Nintendo teaming up and having it released on both systems. That would be one killer E3 announcement. Especially after all the negativity MS received when they canceled it. And of course because the hardware will do it more justice.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Have Nintendo finance the development, cut the MP part, make it a Gamepass title after 6 months of being a Nintendo exclusive. Everybody wins.

Don't even need to include Microsoft. Just release game with different title, make some changes to characters and environments, and there you go. Brand new action series from Hideki Kamiya that is not related to Scalebound.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my mind both Silent Hills and Scalebound were the less likely choices by far. It's funny that now Scalebound is the one probably happening.

Oct 27, 2017
I was sure it was going to be mother 3 until I saw the op say it's not a Nintendo game.

In regards to scalebound, could platinum handle developing that whilst also developing Bayonetta 3 and astral chain?

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This Nintendo Insider site doesn't seem to understand the difference between IP ownership and trademark registration:

Anyway, didn't Platinum literally just announce an action game with co-op multiplayer as a Switch exclusive? I guess it's possible that Nintendo is also paying for Scalebound, but why would they bother? My guess -- and please be clear that this is a guess; I am not confirming or denying anything -- is that Platinum re-used a lot of Scalebound's design and tech for Astral Chain, and people are just getting their wires crossed.
I'll add to this that "Scalebound is coming to Switch" was absolutely a rumor floating around last summer.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
despite what people think, the actual scalebound IP and name aren't worth shit. nintendo could just as well fund a game with the same concept under different name for kamiya and not owe anything to microsoft for it. that's why this rumor doesn't make any sense.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
If he had such precise information, don't you think he'd have written it on his own outlet, instead of hinting to it on someone else's podcast?

Nah, with Kinda Funny there's more reachability with gamers, especially on ERA. And don't start doubting Imran's credibility like others stated. This thread was created solely based off his source. Regardless of the "Scalebound is a Switch exclusive" rumor discussion that's going on.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit that I never thought Scalebound looked particularly great in any of its showings, but I'd still love to see it resurrected. If nothing else, it would mean that one of the most talented game designers in the business didn't have 3-4 years of development go completely to waste.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
If it's Scalebound I'm going to die for real. I couldn't take that hype.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, because Nintendo leakers have been on a particularly bad run of late, but oh man if it is...

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think enough people realize this.

More precisely Astral Chain sounds like Scalebound's ideas with a new skin.

It would make zero sense for Platinum to be making two games based on very similar ideas for the same console, at the same time.
Ehhhhh. Other than the fact you have what is likely an AI companion fighting with you, I don't see any connection in the gameplay we've seen so far. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple elements (like the companion) were inspired by their ideas for Scalebound, but not enough to say Scalebound evolved in to Astral Chain.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018
The Wolf Among Us 2 would be cool, yet somehow disappointing; I don't really think it needed a sequel.

These poor folks. Keep the hope, guys, perhaps it'll happen in the future, like a collection :(

I'll add to this that "Scalebound is coming to Switch" was absolutely a rumor floating around last summer.

Well then. It's gonna be a ride. Waiting for Imran's words.

Status
Not open for further replies.